EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > Quests and Live Events
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-02-2008, 08:18 PM   #1
justbecause

Loremaster

I know I do, but Kithicor server is being punished because some players were verbally abusive to the senior guides I was told. Is this fair to this server when many other servers still get information about guide events on their server?

Just because a few bad apples fell from the tree shouldn't mean our server has to be punished for this. I want to know how our server can be allowed to have the information be posted again if any chance.

I just feel this isn't fair to us players and would suggest to all that maybe we should just either remove these events being given by guides or give us the npcs that some servers have that give these out as quest's instead. In this, no guides would be verbally abused.  It would be more fair and not so bias as it is now as well. Bias in terms of some servers getting better & more information given and also know some servers have more guides to do events and these servers who are shorted do get shorted where it concerns events even happening.

justbecause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 08:31 PM   #2
Cusashorn

Loremaster

I agree. Why should we be punished for what a couple of players did?

Some guide events would be better off as an NPC.

Just a few weeks ago I stumbled upon the guide event in Antonica where they send you into blackburrow to kill 50 gnolls, and you get either an ogre, elf, or halfling skeleton as a reward for your house.

i've done this quest a few times. The first couple times were just guides offering the quest and telling you to brave the dangers.

The third time, however, had a female dark elf who claimed she was doing work for Lucan D'Lere and Freeport. She claimed she was scouting out Blackburrow to see that they did not become a threat to Freeport, even despite being all the way across the world, and more focused on Qeynos.

Being a Qeynosian, I told her that Qeynos has it's share of problems with the gnolls as well. I told her that maybe we can work out a mutual understanding. I go in and kill the gnolls for her. She agreed and gave me the quest.

A little bit of roleplaying involved, but it was fun like that. You can program an NPC to do the same story and reasoning behind that specific quest.

Cusashorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 06:43 AM   #3
M0rticia

Loremaster

I guess I will be in the minority when I say I don't want a schedule of guide events. I like them being random...being in 'the right place at the right time', kind of thing. We had a guide event a couple of weeks ago on our server and I won a halloween robe. I was in Gorowyn, tradeskilling and checking things on broker when a guide appeared and asked for assistance with his scarecrow. I ran down to where the guide was and had a great time making up a story line and talking 'in character', which was a little different for me since I am not on an RP server. SMILEYThe guide stayed at the Gorowyn docks for a while so I was able to tell my guildmates about the event and some of them came down to participate. People were talking about it in level chat too. So people knew about it but it was still random and a heck of a lot of fun!

M0rticia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 08:42 AM   #4
Elorah

Loremaster

justbecause wrote:

I know I do, but Kithicor server is being punished because some players were verbally abusive to the senior guides I was told. Is this fair to this server when many other servers still get information about guide events on their server?

Just because a few bad apples fell from the tree shouldn't mean our server has to be punished for this. I want to know how our server can be allowed to have the information be posted again if any chance.

I just feel this isn't fair to us players and would suggest to all that maybe we should just remove these events being given by guides anyways. I would suggest instead to give us the npcs on some servers already that are giving these out instead. In this no guides would be verbally abused in regards to this information. It would be more fair and not so bias as it is now as well. Bias in terms of some servers getting better & more information given and also know some servers have more guides to do events and these servers who are shorted do get shorted where it concerns events even happening.

To be honest, if that did happen, I probably wouldnt want to announce it either.  Guides are volunteer players like the rest of us subscribers.  They are not paid other then the fun that they have with the players.  If I would volunteer my time (time that could be spent elsewhere) and I was being insulted.......   ooooh.....If that is the reason that they are no longer posteing, perhaps given time they will be back.....when they feel that they will not be attacked for volunteering their time.I wouldnt want it announced every time though as then you end up with the same people every time.... those that actively read the forums and those that they tell.  I like bumping into them on my journey's,  It is nice to see some without knowing it is coming.As for the NPC quest givers, yes it saddens me that the Exchange servers have these.  This makes the items less rare and less fun to get.  I enjoy the RP with the guides....  that is what makes my in game experience more fun.  An NPC can not do that and will only become another quest to grind.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:21 AM   #5
Mikkachu

Loremaster

As a Kithicor player, I really miss the Guide Events being posted.I never knew of the reason why they stopped- and GRR at those who were mean/cruel to volunteers!  I can completely understand that something like that might make one a bit wary about posting again... but as someone who adores roleplaying with the guides, I sure miss it.  My odd playing schedule means I can generally only catch a small percentage of them, and only if I know where/when they're going on.If it's impossible for them to be posting, I wish that it could at least be announced in /2 or whatever, be by the guides or by helpful players.  'There's a guide event going on in Antonica!' or whatever.  I know there are worries about overcrowding... but I remember once when someone announced the fae lantern one going on Darklight.  Yeah, there was a nice crowd... but it turned in to great fun.  Everyone got the rewards, and everyone was roleplaying with each other, trying to help goodies get in to Neriak (while poking fun at them for being goodies), and there were a lot of groups going out together to go attack the faries, even with vast level differences.   Then we ended up helping a new player to the game find his apartment and get his lantern all set up.  It was enjoyable.So... yeah.  I really wish there were more ways to find out about guide events on Kith. SMILEY
Mikkachu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 11:49 AM   #6
Cecie
Server: Kithicor
Guild: Shoo Ponies

Loremaster

I'd only just discovered the fact that the guides were posting upcoming events a few weeks before they stopped. It was nice to be able to plan on being in a particular zone around the time an event was happening, but it definately did take away the spontaneous fun aspect of it.

As for putting in NPCs with the guide quests, I really would not like to see that happen. To remove the fun role-playing interaction, just so you can be sure to get your goodies? No thanks.

Cecie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 01:30 PM   #7
Lasai

Loremaster

justbecause wrote:

I just feel this isn't fair to us players and would suggest to all that maybe we should just remove these events being given by guides anyways. I would suggest instead to give us the npcs on some servers already that are giving these out instead. In this no guides would be verbally abused in regards to this information. It would be more fair and not so bias as it is now as well. Bias in terms of some servers getting better & more information given and also know some servers have more guides to do events and these servers who are shorted do get shorted where it concerns events even happening.

I don't get it... if the verbal abuse was enough to warrent not coming back... shouldn't it have been actionable.. reportable.. bannable?I find it hard to believe a Guide couldn't use the report function and get results.Seems pretty petty to punish an entire server for the actions of a few, and reward those few for thier ***hattery.For what it's worth, we haven't had a new guide post on Nektulos since 8/11.

Lasai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 02:14 PM   #8
Ama

General

Lasai wrote:
justbecause wrote:

I don't get it... if the verbal abuse was enough to warrent not coming back... shouldn't it have been actionable.. reportable.. bannable?I find it hard to believe a Guide couldn't use the report function amd get results.Seems pretty petty to punish an entire server for the actions of a few, and reward those few for thier ***hattery.For what it's worth, we haven't had a new guide post on Nektulos since 8/11.

Unfortunately it depends upon the nature of the verbal abuse.  You can say alot of mean things without even swearing at a person. 

I like doing the guide events and it's funny to talk to some of these people imho.  Sure they're roleplaying I know it and they know it, but it's harmless fun.  However to some people they consider it lame or stupid and decide to let their feelings be known saying something like "Talk normally you *insert bad name/badword/whatever* it's just a stupid game."

Old 10-03-2008, 02:18 PM   #9
Elorah

Loremaster

Lasai wrote:
justbecause wrote:

I don't get it... if the verbal abuse was enough to warrent not coming back... shouldn't it have been actionable.. reportable.. bannable?I find it hard to believe a Guide couldn't use the report function amd get results.Seems pretty petty to punish an entire server for the actions of a few, and reward those few for thier ***hattery.For what it's worth, we haven't had a new guide post on Nektulos since 8/11.
They are still doing events most likley...  Just not posting them ahead of time.  That seems to be a priveledge, that may have been revoked on Kithicor if what was said is true about the verbal abuse...
Old 10-03-2008, 02:32 PM   #10
Oh

General

Well atleast for the everfrost server board, we do have a thread of when the guide events are happening. Although to be honest it will get updated the day of or very close to that point in time. SOOO either you are really paying attention or you to can miss it. IT would be "nice"(tm) if every server had the same sort of notification. YES i am slightly ocd and wish I had more notice, but atleast I am able to get some notice which to me is alot better then not even knowing about it. I normally run around with alot of the chat channels turned off because of the yahoo kids that only want attention. /sigh sorry I ended up ranting on something else. ANYWAYS I haven't seen a guide event for a while, maybe they aren't doing them atm? dunno just a thought.
Old 10-03-2008, 02:37 PM   #11
justbecause

Loremaster

To be playing this game and to be guide you have to know there is a few bad apples on every server as to weather some are more vocal about I don't know but I have a hard time believing that our server (Kithicor) is the only one who has verbally abused a guide. To be honest what is verbal abuse to that person? I mean my idea of verbal abuse is using profanity, or and saying to said guide you stink (etc.) and this event is stupid (etc.) because said guide is doing it. Anything beyond on that isn't but if it was any of them examples then was persons reported for it?

Also I want to add that not all 'Event's were being posted so thier was still random ones that no one knew about so to have one or two a day posted compared to how many are actually happening in a weeks time........ If I had to assume here I would say thier is maybe 2 to 6 or more a day happening just because as a guide you have to have at least 2 events a week and other odds events that call for more then one guide and know I have at least seen 10+ guides for our server already so add that up. So them posting on avg. 3 to 4 events a week still left a quite few randoms ones.

The whole point of this thread   .....Is this right?, that Kithicor is being punished for a couple players when there is at least 1200+ hundred active players? I asking this for other servers are still getting information when we no longer are. This isn't fair and my idea of adding npcs to give these quest's is more fair, as to weather it more fun... probaly not but a guide was abused and the whole server gets punished for it.

I am asking for change & fairness for all servers here and no server should be punished like we are being! What I want is from this and my fellow players is to see is all I am wanting is back is of the few events that were posted be posted again. Pretty please /begs

Old 10-03-2008, 04:04 PM   #12
Elorah

Loremaster

justbecause wrote:
The whole point of this thread   .....Is this right?, that Kithicor is being punished for a couple players when there is at least 1200+ hundred active players? I asking this for other servers are still getting information when we no longer are. This isn't fair and my idea of adding npcs to give these quest's is more fair, as to weather it more fun... probaly not but a guide was abused and the whole server gets punished for it.

I am asking for change & fairness for all servers here and no server should be punished like we are being! What I want is from this and my fellow players is to see is all I am wanting is back is of the few events that were posted be posted again. Pretty please /begs

Do we know for SURE that is why they stopped posting the events ahead of time?  Absotively true and for sure?  There could be any number of reasons that this may have happened....  It sounds as if you want your server to be posting them again or non at all...Perhaps if you think it is, you should find those that ruined the priveledge rather then be upset that other servers have this priveledge.  To be honest, My server guides post usually a few hours to a day before the event and even then, hardly anyone shows up.....  Until we hear the exact reason....  I do not feel that it is right to comment on why it was taken away.  Since SOE doesnt exactly explain their reasons, we may never know....Play nice to the guides....  SMILEY
Old 10-03-2008, 04:12 PM   #13
justbecause

Loremaster

Just to get this straight I was told by two different guides that is the reason why.

As for 'It sounds as if you want your server to be posting them again or non at all'     ......... I want it to be fair so asking for them to post or have npcs instead is more fair for all servers. As it is now only some servers get this info wheres some are not getting any so if you like unfairness then that is your choice but not mine.

I am not tatally sure on this but I think there is few other servers that hanvn't had post's ever made to only few and they are months old so this problem of guides being verbally abuse may not be just problem with this server. I feel that as guide and fellow player you should take the good and sometimes ugly for there is and not make such a big deal about it just because your a guide doesn't mean you should have the right to decide our fate on our server to not post anymore just because your volunteering plays no part in this either because weather you want to believe this you are paying to be one because you can only sign up if you have active soe acct.

As for tracking down the players who ruined the priveledge? Umm....impossible for I am sure we won't be told who they were.

Old 10-03-2008, 04:37 PM   #14
Elorah

Loremaster

I am sorry to hear that you were told that by the Guides....This is something that should be dealt not on these forums, but with SOE directly...I can not imagine that they would change their policy this drasticly over a minor issue though....   If true, it had to be larger scale then what you were told about.  It is not that they have stopped doing events completely, just no warning.  The NPC's on the Exchange servers and possibly PvP servers are there specifically due to the fact that they have no guides at all on those servers.
Old 10-03-2008, 04:46 PM   #15
justbecause

Loremaster

A side note here but my opinion on this I felt this problem wasn't dealt with properly for it should of been reported to soe staff about these players and these players should of been dealt with by soe reps not where the whole server gets punished for this.
Old 10-03-2008, 05:00 PM   #16
Elorah

Loremaster

justbecause wrote:
A side note here but my opinion on this I felt this problem wasn't dealt with properly for it should of been reported to soe staff about these players and these players should of been dealt with by soe reps not where the whole server gets punished for this.
Perhaps it was?  Guides have someone to report to within SOE....  I dont know...  I wish you luck though SMILEY
Old 10-03-2008, 05:31 PM   #17
Jesdyr
Server: Unrest
Guild: Curmudgeons

Loremaster

I am always verbally abusive to guides .. I am a dark elf .. it is what we do SMILEY well ok .. I like giving the a hard time.. but I would hope they see it as good fun.. I know at least some of them do.
Jesdyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 09:01 PM   #18
Salticidae

Guide

Hi Haley, I am the Guide that spoke with you the other day.  SMILEY  I'm sorry that you're upset with this situation.   It took me a bit to find the thread, I went automatically to look at the Kithicor forum. In general, and not purely directed towards you, I will try to give some insight here, without overstepping my boundaries within the Guide Program.  I am not the voice or spokesperson for the Guides.   As you know,  I do not make any decisions or make the rules, I cannot change the rules.   I am speaking from my own perspective as an observer, and I can only point you towards places where you may be better heard, such as the email address I gave you in game  (repeated here for others:  [email protected]).The decision for Kithicor was made not by one or two people, but with the approval of the Elders, who finalize the rules for the program game-wide as a group, rather than on an individual basis.While I do not know the particulars of the situation, I do know through experience that Kithicor's Senior Guides are great people who have been with the program for some time.   They work hard, and across multiple servers (this comes with a pile of paperwork), as well as perform extra duties for the Guide program above and beyond what is asked of them, mentoring and counselling other guides and apprentices, handling training, etc.   As all of us must keep active play accounts, this goes along with raiding schedules, "real life" responsibilities - home, family, work.  I respect their decisions and in doing so, know they are not made without thought and consideration; therefore it is very likely that the problem had been growing for some time prior.   While I sympathize with the desire to hear about the quests & I enjoyed giving out that information to you, I also ask that you offer a bit of space in your consideration of the matter to allow for things that we may not be able to share - such as the particulars behind the decision itself.  We do not gossip about players.   Letting you know that harassment was the cause of the guide events being removed as it is, is treading close to a line for me.  But I also felt compelled to offer a direct answer in hopes that it would make the matter more understandable.    As you guessed earlier, you will not hear the names of the people who caused the problem, nor will I.  We make a point to not favor, or, conversely, attach any stigma to a player.   If I knew about a particular player behaving poorly, I might find myself unintentionally short, which would not be unbiased or ethical on my part.   I, as well as other guides, try to treat all players equally, even the "bad apples." Harassment, as another player said, can come in many forms. We have specific procedures for dealing with aggressive forms of harassment, and they are indeed followed.  It does not make the experience any less upsetting for the person on the other end of it. It also does not necessarily mean that we won't be dealing with people who push boundaries but don't, technically, step over the line. I imagine that a person experiencing a great deal of it would be, eventually, worn out.   If you bring a gift to the table, and every day someone is unhappy with it, eventually you feel pretty badly about it.I'm only offering my 2 copper, as it were.   I cannot change the rules, and my intent is only to attempt to offer some insight as well as I can, from what vantage point I have of the matter.  I do know for a fact that Kithicor Guides as a whole are genuinely very fond of the server and the players on it.  It is our "home away from home" for us - indeed, sometimes I feel more at home on Kithicor than I do on my play server.   I know that we want to see you all happy, not only with us, but the game as well.   I do not for a moment believe that the decision to stop posting quests was made on a whim or out of spite.   Rosabel and Remedak are both excellent people, and I trust and respect their decisions, though I may not know all that goes into it or what goes on behind the scenes.   If I did not feel this to be the case, I would not be a Guide.  There is absolutely no will in me to volunteer my time under leadership I am not happy with or do not trust.  I don't know that the Quest posting choice is carved in stone, though I cannot say with assurance that it may be changed.  I do feel that diplomacy and understanding will go a long way towards getting a desired response, whatever the situation might be.   Regardless of the issue at hand, I hope that people will see how much there is to appreciate in Senior guides who are active.   Just like guilds, people disappear, and while they're working behind the scenes in many cases, the Seniors keep things running smoothly.  When they disappear, everyone else is stretching to cover the gap and your server and others see less guide activity.  Let me clarify a couple things, just for the sake of information:We have not stopped doing Guide quests on Kithicor.  They are still going on frequently, whether the information is posted or not.  Keep your eyes and ears open - and keep the grapevine going in the chat channels.  If you see a Guide event going on, certainly YOU can say something and let your friends know!    I had a friend tell me something very odd was going on in a zone last night - I told him to go check it out!  He went off and found a Guide event.   I always miss them, myself!  My timing is atrocious. SMILEYAn alternative suggestion is to make yourselves a serverwide event chat channel, and make the text red.  If someone sees an event going on, post it in the channel and you will be sure to see it in red text.Regardless of whether the quests are posted or not, it would be a shame and a loss to have the quests themselves removed.   Not only are they fun, but sometimes the rewards are pretty nifty and unique.  It is good to have a chance to come across one and get in on it!   Guides and requirements:Guides all operate on their own schedules.  My own is pretty erratic.   I fit in shifts when I can per my guild's raid schedule and real life responsibilities.   It is a bit like a normal guild in which people come and go - real life swallows some of us up, etc.    So, a person who did a quest every Saturday may not always do so, or they may change their style.   Some quests are scheduled somewhat last minute, some are cancelled late minute due to outside issues.  It all depends on the guide in question.   We are required to do one quest OR four roleplay sessions per week.  One Guide may do a lot of quests, while another does more roleplay, some may just make their weekly shifts, some may do double that.   Some may be training other guides for another server who only has one or two active guides.This is to say, the quests do not follow a fixed schedule.   When quests were posted, some may have been missed.  I know that some folks felt upset that they missed some or did not hear about them all, but be assured that events that weren't posted weren't missed intentionally.   I know that Rosa and Rem both have filled in for Seniors on other servers to help out, and therefore have had to juggle two groups simultaneously.   There's plenty of paperwork that goes on behind the scenes, so believe me when I say they're busy busy busy and likely not here on the forums too frequently all together.Roleplaying:Most of us understand the difference between roleplaying an evil toon and someone being geniunely aggressive or threatening.   That said, please be gentle to our new little naked guides, they have no armor and we don't want to scare them!NPC:I would hate to see Guides replaced by NPC.  Not just as a Guide who loves interacting with the players and heckling them mercilessly (muahaha!), but as a player who loves to heckle the Guides when I see them!   We have lots and lots and LOTS of NPC's to go click and get quests with and literally thousands of quests to just "go do." We're here to be interactive and joke with you.  Some of the casual roleplayers are very creative and very, very funny.   Have fun with it!  Let your imagination get going and walk on the weird side with us!   I've noticed many people mix real life references with the game and find the humor in it.  We had a minor fiasco recently with people failing to observe proper Warg parking procedures on the docks, and creating a liability hazard with the puddles of mutt drool on the wood decking.   We are not just here to chat and joke and hand out quests, however - we're also here to help guide new players through getting aquainted with the game interface and surroundings, and to make them feel welcome and to give them someone to ask a question.  If your hotbar is broken and you can't fix it, we can try to help you, or tell you how to petition so you get help from a GM.   This game is four years old - it is huge and overwhelming for those just starting out, and we're here to try to make that process just a bit easier.  /who all guide will show you what guides are currently online, feel free to send them a tell!If you have comments, complaints, praise and other suggestions - even an event idea - please please send them to the guideadmin email listed above.    I cannot guarantee you that you'll get what you ask for - not only am I not in control of that, but also, the nature of thing is that no one is able to reasonably accomodate all requests that are made - but it is the best way to be heard and voice your input.   Further, we are always looking for folks for the guide program.  If you're over 18, an active player and interested, please go here:  https://guide.station.sony.com/guideapp/   It is a station access page, so you will have to log in with your normal player account name and password. Lastly, this is the official guide information site: http://www.station.sony.com/guideprogram.vmTake Care and Safe Travels!Guide Salticidae

~ The Clever Freeportian's Guide to Romance
Salticidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 09:35 PM   #19
Naylie-DelANews

Community Relations

Hello!

I am locking this thread for a few reasons. The main one being that Guides are volunteer players. They volunteer their time to create a more dynamic feel in game.

Recently Guides were given the option to post to the forums. They could just chit chat or post their in game quests if they wanted to. At no time was it made mandatory but left open to their level of comfort. If a Guide doesn't want to post to the forums they do not have to.

The Guides did bend a bit and informed you that they were no longer comfortable in posting to the forums. If you want them to start posting again I would suggest taking a different approach.

And we are always looking for more Guides so please feel free to apply!

Sincerely,

Community Relations Manager

Guide Liaison - Station Pass Games
Naylie-DelANews is offline   Reply With Quote