EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-23-2011, 01:27 PM   #61
isest

Loremaster

Ilavatar wrote:

Nynaeve wrote:

If SOE give this game away any cheaper, who's gonna pay for the servers and development of new expansions?

See my post where I give solid evidence that F2P games are not giving it away for free. It's just another way of paying. Turbine TRIPLED revenues with F2P.

http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/...topic_id=512283

F2P are not trying to avoid paying. Many of them pay more than it costs for a sub. They just want to pay in increments rather than have the meter running.

Rofl really,  take a look at where lotro is at now days.  They are not even listed in the top 5 now. The last 2 years they did not even win any awards.  I have a lifetime sub to lotro,  I gave up on it with the sad xpac that som was. I did not even  buy this last xpac from there there was no reason too.   Sure they released we tripped our revenue that was over a year back.   You don't hear them saying that now. 

However I have to agree free to play is not exactly free.  It just gives choices in way for you to play.  You can play limited, or you unlock or you sub. The real money in EQ2, and in lotro is not subs anyways,  the store is here most of the cash is, and that is the truth in all free to play games.  That is the money maker.

isest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:00 PM   #62
Ilavatar

Loremaster

isest wrote:

Rofl really,  take a look at where lotro is at now days.  They are not even listed in the top 5 now. The last 2 years they did not even win any awards

You spoke too soon. The awards just came out. They won lots of awards this year:

MMO Sanctuary:

Best Free MMOBest Expansion (Rise of Isengard)Game of the Year

http://www.casualstrolltomordor.com...-choice-awards/

PC Gamer: MMO of the Year

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/01/11/p...-year-awards/4/

MMORPG.com - Best F2P

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/...st-F2P-MMO.html

And their cities and worlds are quite active. F2P is working quite well for them. They must have made tons of money on Isengard.

That article on triple revenues came out just two weeks ago.

SOE would do well to learn from them.

Ilavatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:28 PM   #63
isest

Loremaster

Ilavatar wrote:

isest wrote:

Rofl really,  take a look at where lotro is at now days.  They are not even listed in the top 5 now. The last 2 years they did not even win any awards

You spoke too soon. The awards just came out. They won lots of awards this year:

MMO Sanctuary:

Best Free MMOBest Expansion (Rise of Isengard)Game of the Year

http://www.casualstrolltomordor.com...-choice-awards/

PC Gamer: MMO of the Year

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/01/11/p...-year-awards/4/

MMORPG.com - Best F2P

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/...st-F2P-MMO.html

And their cities and worlds are quite active. F2P is working quite well for them. They must have made tons of money on Isengard.

That article on triple revenues came out just two weeks ago.

SOE would do well to learn from them.

Ok so showing awards from backin january of this year is a win now?  Casual stroll is a fan site who is always kissing up to lotro, so your only going to find good things there.   Honestly when they won those awards in january there were not many  other games stateside there were free to play giving them an easy win.   KInd of like some of the game site who are bought and paid for to give easy wins based on the criteria.

Just saying learning something from lotro on free to play rofl,   they already did that its called the store.

isest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 04:20 PM   #64
Sledged

Loremaster

"the only things they need to make buyable/purchaseable are the AA slider unlocks and the coin limit increases. Everything else is fine."

Keeping with the way their F2P works (which is horrible), you will buy a 10 pack of the AA slider unlock (you use one everytime you move the slider)  Coin limit unlock is a duration, you have to buy more when the duration runs out. 

SOE keeps you spending SC if you want to fully enjoy the game F2P.  Using the bazaar, equiping top tiered gear and in-game mail.  It is much better to just have a subscription to EQ2.

Lotro - you had to pay for the content twice if you wanted to utilize F2P, (customers had bought expansions in a retail store) and now F2P is released buy it again for points.  Once you have bought it the second time (which was the main complaint) there is no more need to keep buying points and spending them.  The ones who decided to grind earned points in game and bought the expansions with that.  This is a much better F2P model then the one EQ2 is using.

Sledged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 04:26 PM   #65
Mohee

Lord

awards don't really mean anything, its just someones opinion, and are usually very biased.

What are they basing awards off of? The number of players? The amount of money the company makes?

If people think those things are what make a game good, then you have no idea what a good game is =P

Even if 10 million people play a game, who is to say that is what makes it a good game? It's all still personal opinion, and in today's society marketing rules the world. Don't buy into marketing ploys, be your own individual person, not a follower or a mindless drone. 

Maybe i'm just one of those rare people who hates commercials or any sort of advertisement that tries to lure me into buying anything. Or a gaming website that does reviews telling me a certain game is good, while another is horrible, because all they're doing is telling you their opinion, which is just as useless as everyone elses in the world.

Professional critics are a joke... and nobody should listen to them.

I've played games that end up getting horrible reviews, but I personally thought they were some of the best games ever.

And I can't tell you how many games I've tried I thought were horrible, only to hear nothing but praise from review sites.

Hence why I dont even bother looking at those sites anymore =P

It's just my opinion to have your own opinion.

In the beginning of EQ2 you could really tell everyone on the EQ2 Team was there to make the highest quality, best, most fun, enjoyable, immersive game they could put their creative hearts into, and you could tell that they all actually played their own game and cared about it.

Now everything is implemented sloppily just to make a quick buck from players on the marketplace. Leaving tons of bugs and major issues going un-fixed for over 6 years now, yes SIX years! It's not important to go back and fix the major flaws, when apparently they can make a ton of money from players who will spend 5-10 bucks just for appearance armor =

Sometimes I just don't get this game, SOE, or the people who play it anymore.

EQ'ing since 1999
Mohee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 05:40 PM   #66
Altom

Guardian

Ilavatar wrote:

Nynaeve wrote:

If SOE give this game away any cheaper, who's gonna pay for the servers and development of new expansions?

See my post where I give solid evidence that F2P games are not giving it away for free. It's just another way of paying. Turbine TRIPLED revenues with F2P.

http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/...topic_id=512283

F2P are not trying to avoid paying. Many of them pay more than it costs for a sub. They just want to pay in increments rather than have the meter running.

By the way - as I had already pointed out in a previous post that got deleted for some reason, it seems to me the idea of F2P is not so much that the same players as before will spend more - although, of course, some might - but rather, that a larger number of players, even though many of them maybe individually spending less, will all together, in bulk, spend a greater sum.

Altom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 01:47 AM   #67
Ilavatar

Loremaster

isest wrote:

Ok so showing awards from backin january of this year is a win now? ...   Honestly when they won those awards in january there were not many other games stateside there were free to play giving them an easy win.

Given the tone of your post and the lack of research you showed, I didn't expect you to admit you were wrong.

One example: please explain how those awards could be from January if they received them for Isengard which just came out a few months ago. It's a rhetorical question - don't bother. I don't have time to get into a fruitless back and forth with the uninformed.

As the comments all over this forum show, EQ2 players feel that there is still a lot that could be done to improve the F2P model and LOTRO is an oft-cited example. In the final analysis, what most of these EQ2 players are asking for is more ways to give SOE their money. Where's the problem in that?

Ilavatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 07:57 AM   #68
Cisgo

Loremaster

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

Server load uber alles! Who cares about quality?

Furthermore, let people leave for TOR. They'll be back.

They left for Aion. They came back.

They left for Conan. They came back.

They left for Vanguard. They came back.

They left for Rift. They came back.

Get the picture?

Not to be mean, but all of those games post much higher sub rates (except Vanguard) then EQ2. Hell, even EQ1 rates higher in subs than EQ2, if you don't want to take my word for it feel free to look it up. Yes, F2P may spike it a bit, however EQ2 is very far down the list. If all these people are "coming back" the numbers certainly do not reflect that, and they never have for this game.

EQ2 started out the gate on the wrong foot by trying to rush to compete with Warcraft and suffered from it. Even though it had all the momentum from EQ1, it never produced acceptable numbers compared to other games of it's kind or what it was expected to do. Don't get me wrong I have supported Sony since 3/99 with both EQ1/2, and I still look for a reason to return, however I feel the game may have run it's course with me. 

Bottom line, "it is what it is". Look at the last few years events;  major game changes (itemization/recycling zones easy and hard modes), employee layoffs, more server merges, F2P model. These are all indicators of an aging game running it's course. It is still a great game for new comers, there is plenty to do and seven years of content to discover. However, speaking as a long-term player there were so many "questionable" decisions made (from my point of view) in the last few years that have lead me to this point.

Game releases do not stop at Star Wars, there will soon be Diablo 3 (for all those that were cut off from the Live Gamer/Station Exchange service that Sony mismanaged before Live Gamer), as well as Guild Wars 2, etc.  This is not 1999, they are far from the comfort of, "only a few games in town".  Again, I have always enjoyed EQ1/2 and wish thier games success, however I do question alot of the decisions made by the EQ2 team and always felt that EQ2 should have topped the MMORPG lists.

Cisgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 08:23 AM   #69
Equilibrium
Server: Kithicor

Loremaster

It is obvious that EQ2 players have a disconnect with the reality that thier game is VERY unpopular, especially for a game carrying the Everquest name which was once the juggernaut of the mmo world. You have to really mess up to tarnish that name, and they did a fine job of it.

Equilibrium is offline   Reply With Quote