EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > The Tavern > Traveler's Tales
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-29-2005, 02:26 AM   #1
Kaitar

Loremaster

-- The night is cold and wet, typical for the "rainy" season in Freeport. Outside the gates, in the Common Lands, there is the Crossroads, a meeting place for all peoples from all places, though it is primarily under Freeport's influence. Here you may find merchants and vendors peddling their wares in the rain, hiding under the canvas tarps that guard their stands from the worst of the wet. Thunder rumbles overhead as a chill darkness decends, the animals in the Commons are silent, they do not like the rain and the storm. However, people are still coming and going. At one such tent there seems to be a merchant who has set up a bit of a make shift "bar" and is serving some drinks, both hot and cold. Several travelers gather here, muttering about the weather, the cities, the orcs...everything. --

Iravan had been sent by Zyei to find Kinix... she was not at home when he checked, but he had some idea that she might have come to the Commons. He disregarded the rain with his typical cold detatchment, pale green eyes peering out towards the lighted torches of the Crossroads.

She may be there, hiding from the wet...

He approached, listening to the mud and gravel beneath his feet as he walked, though his eyes never left their target. He saw several travellers standing around in a small huddle, sipping drinks and bickering amongst themselves. His lip twitched, he did not like getting shoulder to shoulder with others... but he would perhaps find the little Ratonga thrall there. He approached, ignoring the vendor's question regarding "what kind of drink did the half breed want?" and instead peered around, seeking the familar little shape of Kinix.

Kaitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 02:55 AM   #2
Silver_Feather

Loremaster

Kinix sniffed at the air then continued towards Crossroads at a quick pace.She leaped over the seemingly small moat around the place.The ground was more muddy than she thought and sliped as soon as she landed,falling back into the water.The small Ratonga pulled herself back up the bank and over the fence,"well if I wasn`t soaked before I certainly am now" she said,glaring back at the spot where she fell.Kinix shook in an almost dog-like fashion to get rid of some of the mud and water.She then quickly spoted a bar-like area and walked close to get out of the rain,even though she doubted she could get any wetter.
Silver_Feather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 02:55 AM   #3
Renita_Serafim

Loremaster

It was raining heaviliy at the Crossroads situated near the gates of West Freeport. It was a small keep designed to maintain order in the Commonlands. It was a popular spot for merchants trying to take advantage of the influx of adventurers heading out of town for another day of adventuring. Leaning against the wall of the northern exit of the keep leading towards the easternmost gryphin tower was Maati Ammita, a short, pale skinned Teir'Dal necromancer. She was wearing a red robe, had long white braided hair, and jade green eyes. Next to her was Jeeves , a ogre zombie made from pieces of lots of different ogres. Jeeves was holding up a cheap umbrella with a wooden handle over Maati to stop her getting wet. It was made from old orc pelts. Maati got it real cheap from one of the Trolls in Big Bend. Maati was browsing through her journal. Inside was a small map of the Thundering Steppes that had notes written all over it in small tidy writting. Maati was attemping to discern the location of the gate leading to the ruins of Splitpaw and she'd was certain she'd found it. All she needed to do was pry it open somehow. Just then, Maati felt a huge gust of wind pass her. Someone had ran past at seemingly supersonic speeds holding his backside with both hands, shouting something completely inconprehensible at someone else further down the path. "What the...?!", Maati thought to herself, before getting back to reading her journal.

Message Edited by Astralmage on 06-29-2005 12:05 AM

Renita_Serafim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 03:11 AM   #4
Kaitar

Loremaster

Iravan was still looking, he hadn't spotted the little Ratonga female yet, though he had caught the sight of Maati...ah, Master Zyei's upstairs neighbor. He had spoken briefly with Maati once, in trying to find his Master in fact. She had treated him with a cool politeness that most did not bother to extend towards a half elf, especially one that seemed so cruel and happy to be an Iksar's thrall.

Iravan nodded stiffly to Maati and approached her, not caring about the rain pelting his shoulders. He looked to the undead minion briefly, but if he was afraid it didn't show in his face at all, his dark skin was shiney with the rain - pointing to his Teir'Dal blood that had been mixed with a human's.

...excuse me, you're Maati, I remember you. I'm looking for Master Zyei's Ratonga...a little grey and white thing named Kinix, I thought she might have been by here. Have you seen her?

His voice had no inflection of emotion what-so-ever, a carefully trained response from a long time thrall, though there was an elusive and somewhat arrogant smirk playing on his lips. That was a habit he'd picked up from his master Zyei over the years.

Old 06-29-2005, 04:11 AM   #5
Silver_Feather

Loremaster

Kinix wraped her arms tightly around herself and shook slightly,leaning against one of the poles that held up the roof of the tavern-cart.Her eyes drawn upward at the gloomy sky.Ears twitching and taking in the sounds of the area.For a moment Kinix paused,thinking she heard Iravan`s somewhat dull voice,but she shruged and wiped some water off the leather and gold patch that covered her right eye.
Old 06-29-2005, 10:55 AM   #6
Renita_Serafim

Loremaster

Maati looked to her right with one eye while still scanning the book with the other, noticing Iravan next to her. "Iravan, hi", Maati said with a quiet, relaxed tone, as if she was trying to maintain her presence in two places at once. "Kinix? She's over there by the tavern cart." Maati replied, pointing with her right hand at the tavern cart while still holding her journal with the other.
Old 06-29-2005, 03:12 PM   #7
Kaitar

Loremaster

Iravan nodded at Maati. Like before she was to the point and didn't mess around or try to "get to know him". He appreciated that and gave a tiff bow, his long white braid whipping in the cold wind, soaked. He turned on his heel and walked to the direction Maati indicated...ah there was the little Rat, standing huddled near that make shift bar where drinks were being consumed. Iravan's nose wrinkled in disgust, he had no love for alcohol, it turned wise men into fools and warriors into weeping children.

He strode amongst the people, pushing a few out of his way, ignoring the drunken, sodden glares of angry patrons. He looked down at the wet little Ratonga and smirked in that strange, elusive way before putting a hand on her shoulder. His grip was like iron, you would not have expected a half elf to have such strength.

Master Zyei sent me to find you. I heard you weren't very well behaved last night...

Iravan's lip curled into a snarl, showing brilliant white teeth against his tanned skin. He had a predatory look, almost like a panther stalking a weak and helpless prey, his very movements were almost cat like as he pulled Kinix out of the crowd to stand in the middle of the Crossroads .

I warned you about being on your best behavior, and now you go and shame me to Master Zyei. I ...hate...displeasing him, do you understand that? Or do you even care? ... well, you act sweet around the Iksar but I know better Kinix, you're just waiting for a chance to cause trouble.

Iravan knelt down, oblivious of the cold mud, he looked the Ratonga in the eyes, never once blinking even for the rain.

I assure you, when the day comes that you do harm to my Master, I will rip the skin off your back and make a coat of it. You ingrate! He's the finest master you will ever have... and you shame him like this. Remember I'm waiting for you, I know your nature. Master Zyei had thralls like you before... he'd shelter them and feed them, give them easy tasks to do and ask nothing in return but for obedience, and they pretended to be obedient...but behind his back they rebelled. That is why I am here, to protect him from you thralls. You can bet I will do just that.

His hand released her shoulder finally and he stood up, motioning for her to follow.

Old 06-29-2005, 04:07 PM   #8
Silver_Feather

Loremaster

Kinix rubbed her shoulder and watched the elf for a moment before following close behind.She followed with her head hung slightly downwards."Iravan I`d never harm Masters Zyei,you should be knowings that" the little ratonga said,head now tilted up a little more.
Old 06-29-2005, 06:42 PM   #9
Xaltot

General

Rain fell like bitter tears from the skies above Norrath's tortured surface. It was a cold rain, one that swiftly penetrated cloth and found the gaps in armor more efficiently than an assassin's stilletto could ever hope to do. For a moment, the scarlet haze over Freeport almost made the cloud layer appear to be lumpen flesh, and the droplets that fell reflected that sanguinous hue. That night, Norrath bled upon the Crossroads.Jarrek had taken momentary shelter in the tower occupied by Impelia Abettus, a human female who claimed to be carrying some for of pestilence. She did not appear ill, aside from an occasional cough, and for all intents and purposes the plague was nonexistent since its source had been rooted out and destroyed. Nonetheless, he kept his distance,  instead leaning just inside the doorway and watching as the merchants pulled down shabby canvas awnings in a futile effort to protect their wares from the damp. Outside, travellers were congregating, or gave the illusion of such. He took a deep breath of the rain freshened air and watched with keen interest.

Message Edited by Xaltotan on 06-29-2005 10:43 AM

"I said earlier that the decadence of our language is probably curable. Those who deny this would argue, if they produced an argument at all, that language merely reflects existing social conditions, and that we cannot influence its development by any direct tinkering with words or constructions." ---George Orwell
Xaltot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 02:18 AM   #10
Renita_Serafim

Loremaster

Several yards away from the Crossroads, near the gates to West Freeport, the white furred ratonga shaman called Heika was walking along the path attempting to locate Maati. She shared Maati's apartment with Calitari and Rhizunis, although the latter hadn't been seen in months. Heika had noticed that some of Maati's floorboards had red stains on them surrounded by brown furr and realized it would be wise to let Maati know before the militia unexpectedly stopped by Maati's store for supplies and noticed the "spillage". Maati said she was heading out to investigate something, but Heika had little idea where she was. There were two ways of locating her. 1.) Sit down, meditate, and ask the spirits for guidance. The usual method for Heika. 2.)...

"Tens"
"Nines"
"Eights"
"Sevens"
"Six"
"Fives"
"Fours"
Threes"
"Twos"
Ones"

Suddenly, there was a large wave of wind heading in Heika's direction accompanied by a large boom sound. Heika could see a explosion followed by a grey mushroom cloud forming in the general direction of the Crossroads. Heika was a little startled. This was Maati location method no.2 . Wait about 10 seconds and head in the direction of ensueing explosion. Maati would most likely be there. "She's over theres.", Heika thought to herself the second after the explosion started.

Message Edited by Astralmage on 06-29-2005 03:19 PM