EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > Station Forums > Fan Faire 2011, SOE Live! 2012-2013
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-10-2011, 11:38 AM   #61
Trueflight_Silverwing

The Quiet Type

I think the point most people are trying to make is that none of the dates "work best" for them.  Summer is, and probably always will be the best time to schedule things for most people.  If the hotel is nto available a those times, which looks to be the case, its time to start looking at other locations.

While I'm all for an east coast FF, logistically it would be too expensive for the players to stay there (most hotels in an area with a convention center big enouh to house the event are about doubl if not more than the rooms at balleys, not to mention flights are more) as well as SoE (have to remember they are based out of san diego, driving distance to vegas) to ship everything there.  Vegas is a fine location, but there are other hotels besides Ballys if they are booked.  Try something off the strip maybe.

Trueflight_Silverwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:55 AM   #62
Calthine

SOE Community Council

Animosities wrote:

did everyone else read that with the accent too or was it just me?

I read everything Brasse posts as though she were in a beard SMILEY  Thanks very much for the post, Brasse.

Now on the other other hand (are we out of hands yet?), knowing the potential dates this early gives me a) time to try and make arrangements or b) lots of time to plan to do something else with my family!

Calthine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:06 PM   #63
Littlewolf65

The Quiet Type

I voted for September 27th - 30th. As Sep. 27th will be my 47th birthday.

And sence I work for a supermarket none of these dates fall on a hollday shopping week

As no one can have vactions dering those weeks so I shoud be able to make it next year.

And yes I read Brasses reply with a accent!!

Littlewolf65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:13 PM   #64
aneggborn

The Quiet Type

Oh this is such bad news!  I hope this changes in 2013, as my work schedule would never allow to me vacation at this very busy time of year.  Heck!  My husband and I had starting planning a lifecasting process for Iksar faces, was going to be nuts.  Last years Fanfaire was my favorite trip ever, but there is no way we could attend.  I am literally going to cry. 

If it's never too early, then plan early.  I would have nothing where I work if I planned less than a year in advance.  That isn't cool.  Does this poll even mean anything anyway?  I mean, if they book up that fast, they are certainly not going to wait for the result of this poll.  OK, thanks Bally's, give us a week to get results from a poll, then we will let you know which we get, yeah right.  You better have some ringers make it look like the what the winner needs to be lol.

I can't even go to my family outtings at that time of year, especially on the weekends.  I can't play much eq.  I don't have personal life really from late August through early June.  I have work on top of gigs on top of gigs on top of work, for the world's religious holidays, kid's lives, fun fall entertainment, etc.   I realy am going to cry.  This was my movitator for getting through another year, taking focus off of the fact that I don't make much money, and if I have a job I can't retire, if ever, until I am 68. (if the laws stand as is)  Well, at least I work, I knew what I was in for when I started this, and it's great motivation to keep my physical health.

Las Vegas heat in July is cold compared to the humidity on the East coast, not that I want to discourage SoE from coming back over here.   I didn't believe it until I experienced it, but it's true.  I basked in Las Vegas (even though my eyes hurt the whole time from the dryness), and when I got back home I wanted to die for a week from the heat.  Waking up at 4:15 AM no matter what time I went to bed wasn't fun, but hey it's ok there was stuff to do.

I guess I will have to convince my special effects buddies helping us design our Iksars, that I have an extra year or two, and I want a body casting. Please consider summer if it's available in 2013.  I love Las Vegas regardless of the travel time and expense.

Anyway, have fun all you doctors and lawyer types, and regular, mundane type folks who can take time in October to have fun.  I'll just find my fun elsewhere, with other people.  Thank you for the time of my life last summer.

aneggborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:29 PM   #65
Agedi

Happy Camper

Where's the "none of the above because they're all at horrible times and during the academic school year" button?

Seriously, how the h-e-double-hockeysticks do you go from summer to during school time?  Won't be able to make any of those dates because my kids are in school during the time and the only person who could watch them is my mother-in-law and she's a teacher so I'd miss Friday because I wouldn't be able to get up until Saturday.

Really, who's bright idea were these dates?

Agedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:06 PM   #66
silenttens

I cant really vote on the dates.  Not with my family, yes 2 school aged childern.  However, I also have other commitments durring that time.  We were saving up to go next year, and had a Condo (Time/share) with a friend.  Now I will just cancel it and save the money for a new car. 

I really can not see that next year FF being a success.  It maybe that those with out childern (singles/Older people ((I am 39)) or such)  might enjoy it more.

As for the Bussing, I can see how they save the monies that way.  However, is not Reno a good spot too? I believe that is closer to the SOE HQ.  Also, If I remember other conventions I have had there, its Cheaper than Vegas, and cooler.  Its just a suggestion. 

And Yes I read Brasses Accent

silenttens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:07 PM   #67
Dethdlr

SOE Community Council

SOE-Brasse wrote:

Why Bally's?

We have been at Bally's for three years running, and we have developed a very good relationship with the hotel.

It would seem that either SOE isn't asking Bally's to lock in dates from year to year or we have drastically different definitions of "very good relationship". 

Looking back on previous years, if you go far enough back, there is some evidence that SOE likes to change the dates around a bit:

• 2003 - Las Vegas - 28-30 March
  • 2003 - Chicago - 26-28 September
  • 2004 - New Orleans - 27-30 October
  • 2005 - Las Vegas - 9-11 June
  • 2006 - Atlanta - 6-8 April
  • 2007 - Las Vegas 2-5 August
  • 2008 - Las Vegas 14-17 August
  • 2009 - Las Vegas 25-28 June
  • 2010 - Las Vegas 5-8 August
  • 2011 - Las Vegas 7-9 July

For the last five years, the dates were during the summer months when school was out.  Prior to that, there were several years when Fan Faire wasn't held during the summer break.  Imagine my surprise when I looked this up so I could show how they had ALWAYS held Fan Faire during the summer months, and then discovered I was wrong.  Doh!

The question is, do they WANT to have it during the summer months each year?  If so, they should be using that "very good relationship" with Bally's and locking in dates for Fan Faire 2013 NOW.

Dethdlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:08 PM   #68
Crystilla

SOE Community Council

Agedi wrote:

Really, who's bright idea were these dates?

Already addressed and answered - those are the only dates the hotel is available for a booking as large as ours in 2012.  The available dates may not be to our liking but they are what they are.

Key thing I would say -- start planning for the 2013 fair now to help get more options for dates.

Crystilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:08 PM   #69
Mekii

Happy Camper

Animosities wrote:

/guilty

Mekii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:19 PM   #70
aneggborn

The Quiet Type

Mekii wrote:

Animosities wrote:

/guilty

I did too.  That accent is adorable!  Sorry to be off topic.  I was wondering when I looked up hot deals on Caesars and found the dates to be gone for cheap rates.  I was figuring it was party due to our fanfaire.  Wrong!  Summer 2013 please!

aneggborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:23 PM   #71
Texana

Happy Camper

Although any of the Fall dates is okay for me and my husband, I think a location other than Balley's should be considered if that would keep FF in the Summer. It appears that so many of the players who would attend FF are in the 18 - 40 demographic*  that attendance will be much lighter than in past years.

I would keep the location in Las Vegas though because even though it is hot, it is not humid like Florida. I live in a hot humid climate and can say with certainty that +100 degree days in Las Vegas are MUCH preferable to +90 or +100 days in places with like Florida. And no matter how you look at it, Las Vegas is cheaper for more folks than either the West or East Coast.

Selfishly, I would prefer FF to be held in Fort Worth during early summer. But that is simply not fair to the majority of players.

* People in this age group are mostly either in college or have young kids in school.

Texana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:59 PM   #72
Patancia

Happy Camper

I'm retired and my kids are grown so I can make it anytime. I have attended the past 5 in Vegas.

I understand that school and work can effect choices here so I would like to make some suggestions. Look outside of the box a bit. If you REALLY want to go to Fan Faire, check other options.

For those going to school, someone mentioned mid terms. Choose a date that is not in conflict with those. You should only need to miss 1 or 2 days of school. Maybe you can work something out with the teacher, or maybe you can just miss. Do all gamers really have 100% school attendance?

I realize that for some, taking off of work is not an option. But for others, do you really NEVER miss a day of work? You have a year to put in the dates. I had a friend that could not make it until Friday afternoon this year because of work, but he did make it.

As for babysitting, maybe you could fly Grandma to you and then you can visit with her when you get back. Or, maybe fly Grandma to Vegas, who knows, she may like to go. The kids would most likely love to stay at their best friend's house for a few days. Exchanging sleep overs might work out for both families.

A working mom knows how to juggle work, school, Dr. appointments, soccer, baseball, basketball, dance class, music lessons and time to have a glass, or bottle, of wine with a friend. This should be "cake."  You have a year to figure it out.

Fan Faire is a blast. I hope that most of you can work something out.

Patancia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 03:31 PM   #73
dissident

The Quiet Type

I can see why Vegas is a logical site for FF.  Given the limited dates avaialbale for the 2012 Fanfaire, would it be to early to schedule the 2013 FF?  With 2 years notice, it should be easier to get a larger range of dates, and hopefully we can get it moved back to the summertime!

dissident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 03:46 PM   #74
Littlewolf65

The Quiet Type

Ok for a east coast summertime fan fair my I suggest Buffalo N.Y.

For 2013 or 2014. Thank you.

Littlewolf65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 03:50 PM   #75
Xandrot

The Quiet Type

Animosities wrote:

No lie, I read it with the accent! That is so funny!

Xandrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 05:03 PM   #76
sariana57

The Quiet Type

Patancia wrote:

A working mom knows how to juggle work, school, Dr. appointments, soccer, baseball, basketball, dance class, music lessons and time to have a glass, or bottle, of wine with a friend. This should be "cake."  You have a year to figure it out.

Fan Faire is a blast. I hope that most of you can work something out.

I do know how to juggle it all which is why I can not leave 3 kids in school with my husband who works full time (one with Type 1 Diabetes) all alone while I fly out to vegas to have "fun".  I can not justify the trip during the school year plain and simple.  However I do understand that is my life and my opinion.  

Everyone has a different life and different responsibilities.  So 2012 may not be the best year for me to go...  but someone else may think that the timing is finally perfect.

Good luck to everyone that is able to go.  I hope that you have fun!

sariana57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 05:20 PM   #77
The_Best_Jedi

Happy Camper

Ashlanne wrote:

DATES FOR THE 2012 FAN FAIRE!

It’s never too early to plan for Fan Faire 2012!  We are pleased to announce that we will return to Bally’s in Las Vegas once more, in order to keep costs down and provide a location central to all airlines. We’d like your help with picking the dates! There are three openings next year, in the fall.  The poll will remain open until 10am, August 19th  2011.

It said i did not have permission to vote help?

The_Best_Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:44 PM   #78
Tanal

OUTSTANDING!!!  Really good to see you guys getting out ahead of FF this early admins!  2012 will be my 4th FF and all these dates are after I get back from Afghanistan!  Bally's is definitely the place to hold the event.  Plenty of time to book tickets, get the guild motivated about going, and get my wife to start earlier on her costume!  Thanks Sony!!!

Tanalos Gix

Innoruuk's Chief Advisor

Knight of Hell

Hunter of Sand Giants

But he makes great sushi!

Tanal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:33 PM   #79
MsChief

The Quiet Type

I am concerned that if attendance isn't strong enough, Fan Faire could find itself cancelled but attendance may not be strong because of the timing.

Brasse, I appreciate your coming on and explaining the reasoning and I know that the players reap tons of benefits in going but I was wondering if you could put in a word to the powers that be about maybe planning earlier in advance for 2013 to try to move it back to summer.  Obviously we could find that this year has a bigger turn out than ever in which case, well, I'll just have to eat crow but I normally go with a group of about 15 people and so far the vast majority are going to have to forgo 2012.

MsChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:34 PM   #80
Jyve

SOE Community Council

Roth wrote:

It would be nice if the Fan Faire was ON THE EAST COAST FOR A CHANGE!!!!!

If Tampa is good enough for the Republican 2012 Convention, it darn well ought to be good enough for a Fan Faire.  Orlando was not that bad, 10 years ago or whenever it was there.

We could do both at the same time.  No-one would notice.

Jyve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:38 PM   #81
Ky

The Quiet Type

Since there is so much hue and cry over autumn dates, and SoE now has a good relationship with Bally's, why not lock in the next 3-5 FF now? Since we'd be in before the masses we'd have a better chance of nailing 'the next 4 last weekends in June' or what have you. Every other con I know of has dates settled and booked out the next 3 years at least. If Sony is going to keep going to Vegas (about which I have no opinion) then use the collective buying power of several hundred attendees to sway things in a favorable direction. For instance, if I knew the dates for FF2013, I'd simply book my room while I was at FF2012. Do you think Bally's wouldn't *love* knowing they had xxx rooms already booked where they could count on not having them empty? They'd LOVE it.Their accountants would drool.

I would ask 2 things, if the organizers could see to bringing these points up.

The music at the party : If we could please get a DJ that doesn't think techno remixes are the only music on the planet, I'd really love it. I don't mind the concept that we as fans run the gamut of demographics, and that calls for a mix of music styles. I enjoy a wide range of music. But the vast majority of your attendees are looking to sit and talk to each other, not bounce around on a dancefloor like a bunch of wounded ducks.

Also at the party : They ran out of Lime Juice at around 9:30, supposedly due to the Han Solo specialty drink they were making. At the extortionist prices I know venues charge per head for an open bar they could have enough staples on hand. No, that wasn't Sony's fault, but very rarely go with the aim of getting schnockered, and to have it fizzle out over something to incredibly mundane reflects poor planning, and less than the level od service that was purchased.

Ky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:56 PM   #82
Drakhenhaw

What is it with conventions in the 2012 year moving so that those who have children, or attend college, or even *gasp* educators themselves cannot now make them? (GenCon 2012 to be held Aug 16-19; Origins 2012 to be held May 30-June 3, just to name a few)

I realize that you cannot please everyrone all of the time, and that this is only a poll, but it still makes it very disheartening to those of us who fall into one of the above categories and take education very seriously. 

Anyways, I know that myself and my family will not attend; none of those dates work. 

For those that can make it, I hope that you have a good time.

Drakhenhaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:18 PM   #83
Turlach

Happy Camper

You gotta admit, the mere fact that Bally's is totally booked out for every summer weekend in 2012 is impressive with how poopy our economy is doing. It also speaks to how cost effective the hotel must be for large conventions. Cost savings is always a good thing.

Every year people complain for one reason or another as to why they can't go. If Fan Faire is a priority in your life, you will find a way to make it work.  If a soldier can find his way out of a warzone for the weekend, Im pretty sure one missed day of school/work is a walk in the park comparatively. Besides, you have well over a year to plan in advance. It was nothing like the logistical nightmare of a few years ago where we only had a little over 3 months to plan.

just my 2cp

Turlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:30 PM   #84
ricklha

I am so glad to finally see dates that are not at the beginning of the month and NOT in the summer,  Thanks you SOE

ricklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 06:42 AM   #85
CTBST

Happy Camper

None of these dates are "good" for our family but as one stated before, if you make FF a priority you will make plans to go. So that is what we will do. Out of the three dates we decided we would vote for Oct as September is back to school. That extra month should hopefully get the children situated and won't need us there as much as they would in September

CTBST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:44 AM   #86
Kianan

The Quiet Type

I'm in agreement that kids and the school year weren't factored into choosing the date.  I love going to Fan Faire!  If it's during the the school year there is no way I can go.  I'm a teacher and taking time out of my classroom is not an option.  I wish there had been a suggestion posting for possible dates so this situation hadn't happened.

Kianan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:30 PM   #87
Calthine

SOE Community Council

Kianan wrote:

I'm in agreement that kids and the school year weren't factored into choosing the date.

No, it was just what Bally's had available.  Read Brasse's post around page 4

http://forums.station.sony.com/stat...971#11500217903

Calthine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:40 PM   #88
Lethandor_Cazic

Haiku Master

Woot, finally some dates that don't interfere with any of my other cons.  Looking forward to possibly making it out this year.  (A year out always leaves the chance that something financially may change the situation) but atm looking forward to going... hmm, and finally getting my certificate signed *pokes Ashlane*

Lethandor

Lethandor_Cazic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 04:29 PM   #89
Mekii

Happy Camper

ricklhall wrote:

I am so glad to finally see dates that are not at the beginning of the month and NOT in the summer,  Thanks you SOE

Agree. The last few through the first few days are always especially busy for me due to work. I make arrangements with others (& lots of butt kissing) so that I can get away for FF. Glad to see I wont need to do that this year. /cheer

Mekii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 06:28 PM   #90
Vlahkmaak

The Quiet Type

Calthine wrote:

Kianan wrote:

I'm in agreement that kids and the school year weren't factored into choosing the date.

No, it was just what Bally's had available.  Read Brasse's post around page 4

http://forums.station.sony.com/stat...971#11500217903

We home school: FIELDTRIP!!!

Vlahkmaak is offline   Reply With Quote