EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > The Development Corner > Developer Roundtable
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-07-2010, 09:32 PM   #1
Rothgar

Developer

A change went out with today's hotfix that should hopefully improve zoning performance.  Please let me know your experiences after this morning's hotfix, especially now that we are getting into primetime.

We have many more improvements on the way, this is just the first of many.

Rothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:32 AM   #2
Xill

Loremaster

Bit of an improvement compared to the last few weeks last night Rothgar. Still got stuck at Receiving zone info but it was not nearly as long as usual. Maybe 2-4 minutes depending and not much more if any. Broker transactions though are still a bit touchy, and can get you stuck in your guildhall for 20 minutes but a definite improvement at least. 

*Mistmoore server and I was on between 6pm to midnight PST.

Xill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 12:46 PM   #3
Morgane
Server: Everfrost
Guild: Bloodforged Legacy

Loremaster

Zoning during our raid last night on Everfrost seemed a bit better but then it's improved muchly in the last week or so. For awhile there we were experiencing zoning times of five to ten minutes and sometimes freezes and crashes. While it's improved, it still takes longer than it did pre-SF. And when we took on the contested in SF last night lag was awful, but that's not a zoning issue, I guess.

Morgane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 02:42 PM   #4
Zoltaroth

Lead Programmer

We are also internally testing some additional updates that should furthur improve zoning (specifically long wait times at "waiting for zone info").  These changes aren't through with internal testing yet, and they are pretty big so I can't give an exact date but they are in the pipeline.

Zoltaroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 03:17 PM   #5
Hellswrath

Loremaster

Zoltaroth wrote:

We are also internally testing some additional updates that should furthur improve zoning (specifically long wait times at "waiting for zone info").  These changes aren't through with internal testing yet, and they are pretty big so I can't give an exact date but they are in the pipeline.

The "waiting for zone info" seems to be the biggest bottleneck of the process, so it's great to hear a fix is being tested.

Keep up the good work, and thanks for the updates!

Old 04-08-2010, 06:36 PM   #6
azraelteir

Loremaster

I noticed some improvement last night as I was zoning over to SF from my guild hall.  Usually when in raid zoning would be horrible weather I was solo zoning or the whole raid was zoning at the same time.  Once we were formed up outside the raid zone and we got pulled into the zone by our raid leader the "waiting for zone information" kicked in and we had some people stuck for a bit (about 6-8 minutes).  This is much improved from weeks gone by, but still seems a little extreme and without further testing I cant say if its because we had 24 people zoning all at once or if it was just that time of night.  I will make sure to pay more attention tonight and through the weekend... SMILEY

Thanks for the update, its been much needed!
Old 04-08-2010, 07:39 PM   #7
BleemTeam

Loremaster

I've never been bothered with long(er) zone times in 5 years. Sure there has been some oops moments, that a hotfix was done the next morning that affected every player, sure. But frankly, I've never been sitting there for so long and thought "This is ridiculous, bla bla", during a zone time. (Never stream client, but heard horror stories ;p)

I've said all that to say: I do think the lag in general is what most of the raiders would like to chime in on though. Fighting Klaaktus hard mode or Oxdaxius hard mode in "prime US time" is almost like watching water boil. Sit and wait. Click and wait. Cure and wait...

"What's left to ponder?"
BleemTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:42 PM   #8
Morghus

Loremaster

Still seeing alot of "loading ui resources". As a side note, I could never understand why reviving in a zone you have already loaded prompts the zoning window to apparently reload the zone again instead of simply teleporting you to the entrance with sickness. Just seems like a waste of time and system resources with the increasingly frequent "loading ui resources" and receiving zone info hangs.

Morghus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:40 AM   #9
Jardon

Loremaster

I have also been seeing a lot of the "loading ui resources" lately.

I will go through the zone in process, the zone will pop up on the screen for a split second and then go back to the "loading ui resources". This does not happen all the time, and I am not seeing anything consistant in when it does happen. It seems to happen more often the longer I have been logged in, but it will happen sometimes when I initially log in.

I am using profit UI.

Raztok, 90 Troubador/90 Alchemist, Antonia Bayle
Jardok 90 Bruiser/90 Weaponsmith, Antonia Bayle
Razmer, 90 Zerker/90 Armorer, Antonia Bayle
Jarrel, 90 Brig/90 Provisioner, Antonia Bayle
Raznyk, 80 Wizard/90 Carpenter, Antonia Bayle
Jazdar, 90 Inquisitor/90 Sage, Antonia Bayle
Jardon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 03:26 AM   #10
Dogtag
Server: Splitpaw
Guild: Dark Haven

Loremaster

can be descibed with two words.

"Still sucks"

*edit*

wrote this while zoning... still zoning.. still zoning...

*goes to restart client*

Dogtag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 02:48 PM   #11
Rothgar

Developer

Morghus wrote:

Still seeing alot of "loading ui resources". As a side note, I could never understand why reviving in a zone you have already loaded prompts the zoning window to apparently reload the zone again instead of simply teleporting you to the entrance with sickness. Just seems like a waste of time and system resources with the increasingly frequent "loading ui resources" and receiving zone info hangs.

Since the revive point can be far away from where you died, those resources are probably no longer in memory.  You aren't reloading the entire zone when this happens, you're only reloading the resources within a given radius of the spawn point.  If some of those resources are already cached your zoning will be that much quicker.

Do you get stuck at Loading UI Resources all the time or just randomly?

Old 04-12-2010, 02:50 PM   #12
Rothgar

Developer

Can you tell me if your recipe window is open when zoning and getting stuck at "Loading UI Resources"?  We do some extra fetching of data during that stage if this window is open, so that could be a place to begin looking.

Old 04-12-2010, 02:59 PM   #13
Morghus

Loremaster

Randomly, but more often if I've been online for a while. The loading ui resources along with receiving zone info can both turn up while respawning which is rather irritating. Could it be possible that merely opening the recipes window causes it despite closing it later?

Morghus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:49 PM   #14
denmom

Loremaster

Location: Paradigm Clutch: Never shift reality without one...

Today, 4/20, every time I zoned I was hit with Receiving Zone Info.  Stuck up to 5 mins at at time.  This is on Unrest server since 2 pm PST until 6:50 pm PST.

I just had to disconnect because I was hung up on zone info for over five mins.  >_<

I haven't had a zone info hang up since the new comp was put together about two or so weeks ago.  This just started up today.

Old 04-20-2010, 11:01 PM   #15
Drumstix

Loremaster

Aye. HUGE delays being seen across the boards on Blackburrow. Currently stuck zoning actually. 10:00pm EST zoning into Sundered Frontier 1

[DrumsUI] author @ EQ2Interface.com
Drumstix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:07 PM   #16
Elanthia

Lord

BLACKBURROW

OMG today after patch zoning times suck..

some people have no problems getting thru and some have severe problems. It is currently holding up our raid atm because we are waiting for people to zone in or even come back after going linkdead. Or a person goes linkdead then we have to bring in someone else which takes them between 5-12 mins.

Please fix this.

Took me from zone hall to take the guild flag to zone into palace total time 12 mins.

Elanthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:28 PM   #17
LadyLou

Loremaster

Huge zoning delays getting worse.  Last zone time was 22 minutes.  Zoning now and time pasted is at 25 minutes.  Stuck on Zoning receiving zone info (South Q to Antonica). 

LadyLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 12:20 AM   #18
Zoltaroth

Lead Programmer

We re-enabled the zoning code that was in place before the update.  Let us know if it is better now.

Old 04-21-2010, 12:27 AM   #19
acctlc

Loremaster

Spent 10+ min trying to zone, disconnected and retried. Came into zone with hotbars blank. Camped out. Restarted patcher. As of this writing..still sitting at receiving zone info trying to get back into game.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:31 AM   #20
Zoltaroth

Lead Programmer

[email protected] wrote:

Spent 10+ min trying to zone, disconnected and retried. Came into zone with hotbars blank. Camped out. Restarted patcher. As of this writing..still sitting at receiving zone info trying to get back into game.

Oasis is looking pretty stable from my monitoring tools.  I am going to hop on and take a look.

Old 04-21-2010, 12:33 AM   #21
Kulaf

Loremaster

I just logged off Blackburrow after waiting 27min to zone from Stonebrunt TO Sundered Frontier.  Funny thing is the zone to Stonebrunt FROM Sundered Frontier was normal.

Old 04-21-2010, 12:36 AM   #22
Dethdlr
Server: Butcherblock
Guild: Advent of Valor

Fansite Staff

Still stuck at receiving zone info.  Game still unplayable.

Kithicor btw.

EQ2U Lead Programmer |Dethdlr's Adornment Calculator | EQ2Wire.com Columnist

Dethdlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 12:37 AM   #23
acctlc

Loremaster

I'm trying to login to Guk: LC. It seems to be zone specific. My husband logged his troub into Sundered frontier without incidence.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:53 AM   #24
Hoeyilie

Lord

as of 8:51pm PDT...I have been stuck for over 40 minutes at log in screen on Blackburrow server...with nothing more than Receiving Zone information

Up until I went to zone into my guild hall 40 minutes ago....everything was fine...I have tried logging completely out and back into the game...and it appears now to be stuck on "Receiving zone information"

Hoeyilie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 12:53 AM   #25
Lader

Loremaster

stuck receiving zone info going from toxx lair to guildhall.

Old 04-21-2010, 12:57 AM   #26
Tenchisama
Server: Mistmoore
Guild: Yoricks Merry Men

Loremaster

Mistmoore - still epic fail many reports of zone times between 20 - 45 minutes.

without a clear understanding of the mechanics I can only offer observations

This problem seems to happen related directly to population/usage - when it does happen it is consistent in what zones affected regardless of player geographical location which seems to imply a problem more central to SOE than to any client stream issue.

Based on what I do understand about recent changes to the game it seems to also be related directly to BG usage - this is inferred by the days when BG is DOWN and servers are live performance consistency versus BG active normal server active behaviour.

example cases last night I saw problems specific to Stonebrunt highlands and player housing in South Qeynos - but zonetimes to my Tier2 hall also in south qeynos but possibly on another instance server were nominal.  I would challenge that DB transaction/validation bottlenecks are likely because this type of response behaviour is common with transaction/validation flooding - the fact that Broker transactions (also DB intensive) are a clear indicator of poor performance seems to lend credence to this possibility.

basic query performance seems to be ok as response in broker to a query/report - like say searching for a particular item or with a particular item filter seems to consistently come back with a reasonable response - however when actually making a change (purchase) this is when the behaviour becomes poor - suggesting again a validation/transaction flood situation.  This can also occur when table interaction to user validation is having a problem.

traceroute and ping activity during poor behaviour periods also seems nominal - indicating that it is less likely to be a network infrastructure issue in throughput. 

If I had more concise information available and a firmer understanding I could probably infer more or more accurately. - Please use similar logic and defeat this issue.

Tenchisama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 01:10 AM   #27
Zoltaroth

Lead Programmer

Made some more changes as of 9PM Pacific.  Let me know if its getting any better.

Old 04-21-2010, 01:12 AM   #28
Mermut

Loremaster

Kithicor

Zoned to character select screen after 20+ minutes of receiving zone info with no progress.Then 20 minutes to get back into the game.Zone to desktop after 20+ minutes trying to zone into guild hall.Something is very, very wrong with the zoning code and/or zone servers right now.

Old 04-21-2010, 01:13 AM   #29
Tenchisama

Loremaster

from character select to guildhall tier 2 that was previously taking 40+ minutes to zone to - in within 3 minutes

trying another zone now - praying

Old 04-21-2010, 01:17 AM   #30
Tenchisama

Loremaster

Tier 2 guild hall to Sundered Frontier on Mistmoore - 3 minutes