EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Planes of Prophecy Beta > Tradeskill Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-01-2017, 04:44 AM   #1
Griffon Lady

I asked in chat on Beta if the ponies and goblins would get the new tier and Gninja said "doubtful" because the harvestables were worthless on live because of the ponies and goblins.
I really hope they change their minds!
I have barely enough time to keep some crafted stuff in my shops so I can buy furniture as is between IRL, weeklies, dailies, etc... to do the decorating I really enjoy. If I have to spend what little time I have harvesting, I don't see any point in continuing a subscription. It will be just a job I pay to do at that point. I won't be able to craft enough extra to sell on the broker, so paying a subscription would be pointless.

Any one else hoping they do give the ponies and goblins 101-110 harvestable ability?
Griffon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 04:46 AM   #2
Prissetta

/agree
Old 11-01-2017, 04:50 AM   #3
Griffon Lady

If the data is a problem due to backed up amounts of harvestables, maybe switch the little gnome in Thundering steppes to just accept hundreds of stacks of harvestables for individual house items that he normally sends us to harvest for instead? Just add a shop window of some sort? (But don't take the quests away. Removing stuff not only breaks immersion, but really puts a crimp in the day of nostalgic people.)

Personally though, I enjoy hunting down unsuspecting homes with depots to gift my excess harvestables into, but some kind of harvestable sink would be fun too, if done in a fun way.

We play for fun. We pay for fun we want to support. If it's work, we want to GET paid. =P

P.S. I spent the last 3 years getting my Bachelors, logging in when I don't have homework bogging me down, using my plat gained by crafting to buy house items that adventurers didn't want, repeating "SOME day I'm going to have spare time and decorate some houses! Some day!" ... so to find out my ponies and goblins and guild hall harvesters will be pointless... I don't even know how to word the way I feel right now.. I've been playing since 2004 and to be so sure I'm going to not be able to have fun wile playing vs. how sad it'll be to quit the game... but back to not having any point to playing since it'll just be harvest harvest harvest, boredom, boredom, boredom... and then back to papers/books/presentations and craming and reality... may as well find something fun in stead, but nothing's as fun as decorating for me personal... but can't decorate due to time constraints, which brings me back to depressed thoughts of just harvesting for the small amounts of time I have to play... and back to just wanting to give up on EQ2. >.<

There comes a point when the amount of time sinks and filler is out weighing the fun of a game.
Old 11-01-2017, 04:52 AM   #4
Sejreia

I'll just say, I think he (they) has a point. However, I do hope they can back this idea up with enough nodes and rare drops, though I see where our little familiar will have greater purpose now.

Add; Just personal feeling, I don't find harvesting work though, if I did, I suppose I would agree.
Old 11-01-2017, 04:53 AM   #5
Scrappyz

With that said.. Will the new tier be on Guild Harvesters, or are they going to use the same justification(if you want to call it that) to not putting them on the guild ones either?

If not, that would really be a bummer as I'm one of the main crafters in a couple guilds and mats go like candy when mass crafting things. Especially when it comes to new tiers Frown
Old 11-01-2017, 05:00 AM   #6
Sejreia

I did this too, and on TLE. Talk about difficult. What I did was make sure if they wanted things made, they need to be out there harvesting too! You get tons more with people harvesting this way, trust me. That box will be bursting in no time.
Old 11-01-2017, 05:37 AM   #7
Mermut

If they're going to make ponies/goblins useless by not letting them get current materials, they need to drastically up the number of nodes in Planes of Magic. There are barely enough to keep 2 players busy.
It will also make it impossible for toons who are not max level adventure to craft as they will have zero access to materials.

It will also make equippable crafted items nearly useless. By the time people gather enough materials to be able to make a full set of even handcrafted gear, everybody will have better gear. If people put them on the broker, either they have to sell them for far less then the effort involved in being able to craft them justifies.. or far more then they're worth, given the stats they have.
Only classes that.

A single zone with very very sparse nodes as the ONLY way to get common materials would make harvesting a confrontation and contentious thing. It would be a huge blow to people who primary craft.
Mermut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 05:59 AM   #8
Griffon Lady

I hope the whole harvesting cut off on the ponies/goblins isn't another attempt at forcing loners and small guilds into big guilds. Big guilds have their benefits, but every big guild I've been in has also had it's drama, bullies, and other uncomfortable/depressing aspects. I love having my own one person guild. I love being able to make things for people with my overabundance of harvestables. I love being able to move things around in the guild hall or completely redecorate and not worry if I just "ruined" someone's day. lol (yahhh... another of those bigger guild snaffus, and it wsn't even me that moved it!)
Old 11-01-2017, 06:08 AM   #9
Yado

This will slow everyone down Frown
Old 11-01-2017, 06:11 AM   #10
Mermut

Actually, big guilds are likely to have MORE problems with the loss of ponies/goblins, not less. At least that's what I noticed when I was in a big guild. Some people ONLY craft and don't harvest.. so those that harvest and craft either find that the mats they put in the depot are gone when they get around to crafting. I started hoarding the materials I harvested as a result. And this was long before personal depots, so it took lots of inventory.
Old 11-01-2017, 06:16 AM   #11
knine

They aren't worthless lol. I've feed many toons and put many food/drinks on broker that people buy with their alts. This will only jack up the market and slow down the leveling..hmmmm wait.. nevermind I see where they are going with this.
knine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 06:22 AM   #12
Sejreia

/wink
Old 11-01-2017, 07:23 AM   #13
EmJay

We earned the ponies and the goblins. Now to make them useless in the new expansion is unfair. With the amount of mats you have to have for the new recipes, the ponies and goblins will be more needed than ever before.
Old 11-01-2017, 07:30 AM   #14
Mermut

This is a good point.
The density of harvesting nodes in Planes of Magic is very low. If they are going to make the ponies obsolete (and make a whole TS line obsolete that at the same time), the number of materials per combine should go down as well. Fighting over nodes is NOT fun. Having people who intentionally monopolize certain harvests so they can put the mats up at prices the average crafter can't afford is bad for crafting. The people who do that don't craft themselves... and they base their prices off the krono sale/slr market... is not the price range of most crafters.
I cannot see any aspect of this that is good for crafters.

For people who want to make a quick plat, yes, but not for crafters.
Old 11-01-2017, 03:56 PM   #15
Gerak

We are assuming that they care what is good for crafters.
I cannot remember anybody ( other than Domino) in SOE/DBG that has cared for crafters.
Old 11-01-2017, 04:11 PM   #16
Jhen Ro

Very surprised this is even in question... And disappointing. Turning the goblin into a harvesting buff - yeah, I get that...

But the upgraded pony - I don't understand why it wouldn't have the new harvests on it too.
Old 11-01-2017, 04:31 PM   #17
Mermut

If this is seriously being considered, I request/suggest that devs look at the node density in a zone like The Sundered Frontier. We'll need node density at least that high if the only method of gaining materials is through harvesting That zone has good density as well as a few places that have decent density that are harvestable by careful low level adventurers. Also,, in that expac there were TWO zones to harvest mats, not just one.

It is hard work to make a zone that has good harvest density and preserves the EQ2 tradition that low level adventures can be self-sufficient crafters.
Having the ponies (and goblins) behave as they have every expac since they were introduced is far less work.

The only way to get spellshard/foundation and rare food will still be 'manual' harvesting and that has always been the best way to get even 'regular' rares.
Old 11-01-2017, 04:34 PM   #18
Bhayar

Let me see if I grasp the logic here. "Harvestables are worthless on live because of pack ponies/goblins?" Obviously, unless I missed something, I don't recall harvestables (outside of one solitary plant nodule type) even put into what is currently OF. If we didn't have the ponies/goblin, there wouldn't be any damn harvestables available at all for crafters. Sure, we could go to back to ToT, but guess what, that option isn't going to work in the new zone, because oh yeah, OF doesn't have any harvestable nodes and frankly I'm doubtful they'll have enough in PoP without driving people crazy. What are you going to do for people who gave up the gobbie for a rare only plant? I'd like to see some more information on what's driving this situation to even come up for conversation. Outside of it requiring some actual planning and thought given to the trade crafting side, it sounds like a poorly thought through construct.
Old 11-01-2017, 04:38 PM   #19
Herne

Seriously is this for real?

If so why don't you just remove our ponies and goblins. All you are doing is removing the hard work that Domino has done for the players over the years, its bad enough that we don't even have a tradeskill line to test, but this is unbelievable!
Old 11-01-2017, 04:49 PM   #20
Shmogre

I sincerely hope the devs will reconsider and will choose to keep the pack pony current with PoP.

I can see what Gninja is saying, but all you have to do is talk to crafters (especially those in larger guilds or those who are the only tradeskillers for their group) to know that keeping harvests stocked is a thankless and annoying job. Even with the ponies, it was too easy to run low.

I understand the difficulty of continuing something that was maintained by a now-gone dev, but please listen to the long-time tradeskillers who are asking for this feature to be continued.
Shmogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 04:54 PM   #21
Mermut

Actually, adding a tier to ponies/goblins shouldn't be much more work then adding them to the guild amenity gathers. There was never any required quests required for the pony/goblin to get the current tier of materials..
Old 11-01-2017, 05:48 PM   #22
Chienne-Guk

My suggestion would be for anyone who is in discord to tag Caith and request ponies, guild harvesters, goblins be upgraded to include the new tier. Submit feedback / bug in beta, etc. I believe that Caith is the one who is doing the most with tradeskills, so he'd be the most likely one to fulfill the request.
Old 11-01-2017, 05:52 PM   #23
Mercychalice

I urge the devs to reconsider the thought process leaning towards not upgrading them. while it did cut down on harvest time, they didn't bring back rares. what made lower tiers "worthless/useless" was salvaging, which was solved when TOT came out and salvaging granted infuser pieces instead of rares. Please, please, upgrade the ponies. I really don't care if I have to do another quest line to do it or not. Just, don't let them go by the wayside. They're extremely valuable to us tradeskillers.
Mercychalice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 05:59 PM   #24
Chienne-Guk

If they would like to make harvests useful again, then I'd vote for bringing back the skill requirement. Not having to level your harvesting skill to get the pack ponies made it extraordinarily easy to do. I've done it both ways and I ended up with ponies, while my harvest skill was in the 200's instead of 400+ where it was required to be beforehand.
Old 11-01-2017, 06:40 PM   #25
Shmogre

Adding to my earlier post: The devs have done an incredible job in PoP mitigating the grinding and time sinks that were required by adventurers in KA. For PoP tradeskillers, however, there will now be a monotonous grind to level due to tradeskilling quests not being available until some time after the expansion launches.

An example of the materials required for my Sage for a single rush order writ (Crystal Blast and Feast), which is currently giving around 7% XP *with vitality*:

240 storm stalk
30 gnarled entwood
30 golden ember
45 nightmare cichlid
45 rock fern
45 greatmole meat
300 Celestial Incense - total cost/writ = 9p (writ reward is only 1p10g, for a net plat loss per writ).

Multiply that by 15 writs per level (with some variation in materials from the other two recipes that are part of the writs), and it's clear that the number of harvests (as well as the plat outlay) required to level is extremely high.

The ponies barely scratch the surface during the beginning days of an expansion; it isn't until later than they can even begin to become less vital. At the launch of PoP, the *only* way to level will be by crafting and using up materials; the immense amounts of harvesting that will be required by tradeskillers will be onerous.

Please reconsider the "doubtful" and make the pony available for PoP harvests when the expansion launches.
Old 11-01-2017, 07:07 PM   #26
Alenna

bold emphasis mine.
What in the heck are they thinking? after forcing adventures to craft for hte 2.0 they turn around and do this? this is making crafters relevant? Or are you now deciding to make someone like me an adventure/crafter choose between the 2? since the you will force me to harvest to do the writ grind having no questline to help level my crafting one or the other playstyle will suffer. this is Alt friendly? I think not.
Alenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 07:09 PM   #27
Jhen Ro

I have a feeling that is more in line with a beta wrinkle and less about shafting. Might be just sages, too, who knows. Definitely /bug or /feedback it.
Old 11-01-2017, 07:22 PM   #28
Gninja

Developer

Please do not take my answer as absolute or informed for that matter. Was just my opinion however, I don't work on tradeskills, was just trying to be helpful in a friendly conversation on discord.
Gninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 07:24 PM   #29
Chienne-Guk

Thanks Gninja! I know you have taken a lot of flack for something that is not even within your control. I do appreciate your patience with us crazy crafters. We (well I) tend to get a little overzealous with the things I like and want to keep. Smile
Old 11-01-2017, 07:25 PM   #30
Shmogre

Thank you kindly for that, Gninja. Please know that our feedback was meant as just that, feedback from very invested people who are living and breathing this harvesting and crafting stuff . Hopefully it makes its way to where it needs to be and is considered along with everything else the team is having to juggle.