EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Altar of Malice Beta > General Beta Discussion (AoM Beta)
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-08-2014, 03:22 AM   #1
Shiboy02

Will the mount be across the board or per classes you copy to beta only?
Shiboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 04:57 AM   #2
Silzin

or is it something that is the final reword of the quest line when it all goes live?
Silzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 01:15 PM   #3
Caith

Developer

When you earn the reward on beta it grants a feature on your account that will allow you to /claim the reward on your live server, once that claim has been enabled.

Earning the reward will cause a UI message to appear on your screen so that you know it has been accomplished.
Caith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 01:20 PM   #4
Arieste

Is it 1 total, or 1 per character?
Arieste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 01:23 PM   #5
Caith

Developer

You receive 1 total. You can earn each of the rewards multiple times however, so if you want 2, you will need to do the work to earn 2.
Old 10-08-2014, 01:28 PM   #6
Errrorr

Is it a duck mount?

If so I'll earn hundreds.
Errrorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 02:35 PM   #7
Moonpanther

LOLOL....I figured someone would find a way to bring the duck mount into the beta forums. Well done!!
Moonpanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 02:47 PM   #8
Sisca

As soon as you saw Errrorr you should have known #duckmount wouldn't be far behind BigGrin

I notice that, stats wise, it's a decent mount but it's a ground mount for level 95's. At first I was thinking other than looking cool it's totally pointless for most of us. Then I thought maybe there will be zones that you can't fly in but are large enough that having something that's faster on the ground than your typical flying mount but with decent stats would be useful. The problem with that is that swapping out mounts with the current system is clunky at best. Especially if the mount you want to use for stats and such isn't one you'd want to use for appearance.

So my question is will there be improvements to the mount system to make swapping between mount setups easier?

Perhaps something like adding some new spells/abilities for Summon Mount, Summon Leaper, Summon Glider, Summon Flyer. With different places to set both the mount and appearance for each type of mount. If you could unlock them when you get to the appropriate level, maybe as part of completing the quest to get your first mount of each type, that would be cool.
Sisca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 03:03 PM   #9
Arieste

This keeps getting brought up each q&a and every few months on forums, but the answer is always that no change is planned. The DEVS seem to think that this is a non issue or that we somehow want to consolidate or use less mounts. (to be clear - we don't, i'm happy to continue needing like 8 mounts for different things, there just has to be away to automate their switching or have them easier to use. My suggestion was to detach the travel mechanic from the stats altogether). Anyhow, i don't think it's a beta issue.

From what I saw, you can't fly in the first zone. Idk about othwr zones or what they need / restrict.
Old 10-08-2014, 03:43 PM   #10
Sisca

You can fly in the first zone, just not around the tower until you get to a certain quest where a gnome gives you the ability to fly up to the top of the tower so you can harvest research notes. Not sure if you'll keep that ability once you complete the quest since the next step after collecting the notes is still broken so I haven't been able to finish it.

It wasn't really a beta issue I was just bringing it up since the reward for testing the questing during the beta is going to be a ground mount that seems kind of pointless at this stage of the game.

ETA: To be clear, I'm not complaining about the mount as a reward. It's not much of a reward but then they could offer nothing and I'd still be happy to be part of the testing.
Old 10-08-2014, 03:47 PM   #11
Caith

Developer

You can macro a mount to cast from your inventory, and you can cancel a mount buff using the /cancel_maintained command

For example, if I am currently mounted on aITEM -1815035218 1630204325 0 0 0:[Discord's Enduring Disk]/a I can use the command /cancel_maintained discord's enduring disk to dismount.

I can combine that with another mount item in a macro to dismount and then mount the new mount.

If I wanted to dismount from the disk, and then mount my aITEM 1595547855 -456009190 0 0 0:[Blessed Sokokar]/a I would use a macro with 2 lines, the first cancelling the disk, and the second being to cast the Sokokar from my inventory.

/cancel_maintained discord's enduring disk
aITEM 1595547855 -456009190 0 0 0:[Blessed Sokokar]/a

You can add as many cancel_maintained into the macro as you need

So if you wanted to cancel either of the above mounts, and cast Char-Ferrin, you would use a macro along these lines.

/cancel_maintained discord's enduring disk
/cancel_maintained call sokokar
aITEM 1575621367 -259115583 0 0 0:[Char-Ferrin, Hound of Dispair]/a

Unfortunately you cannot use a mount from your mount tab via the macro system, because it is not considered as a part of your inventory.
Old 10-08-2014, 03:55 PM   #12
Sisca

I knew all of that but that's what I mean about being clunky.

I have to spend a bunch of time figuring out ID's and setting up macros. Then I have to keep the mounts I want to switch between in my inventory which makes the mount tab kind of pointless. It also does nothing for if I want to change the appearance based on mount type.

Hence why I pick my best flying mount and just stick with it except for special occasions.

Still, I realize that if a revamp of the mount system wasn't already in the works it's not going to be a high priority right now - and it really shouldn't be. I'm just putting it out there as something to look at in the future.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:10 PM   #13
Alenna

why are you forcing people to use a ground mount to get decent stats instead of giving us the flying mount with the same stats
Alenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 06:14 PM   #14
Shmogre

If it helps, I've been using simple macros [summon_mount and use: ] for mount swapping for ages now, and it becomes second nature [to the point that I end up setting them up on all my new toons :^) ].

[link goes to an earlier post I made with details if you are curious]

EDIT: You can also keep a different mount in your appearance slot, so no matter what you summon, the one in that slot will be the appearance [as long as it matches the capabilities of the summoned mount].
Shmogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 06:27 PM   #15
Kander

Developer

We actually do have a revamped mount system planned for soon after AoM launch. More details to come in the not too distant future.

There will also be a flying reward mount announced next week for heroic zone testing.

Don't get any fingerprints on my gold doubloons...
Kander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 07:36 PM   #16
FriggaWitch

Greetings,
Mount that be nice if I could see it, lol How are we supposed to qualify for a mount by doing quests we can't even find cuz we can't see the NPC's or anything else, Oh I know I'll prolly get a silly invisible duck mount but i'd rather have a pheasant mount they have nicer looking plumage and don't spend much time in the water, lol
FriggaWitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 10:42 PM   #17
Arieste

Nice. Here, i designed it for ya:

[IMG]
Old 10-10-2014, 04:31 PM   #18
konofo

In one of the first EQ Insiders, they discussed their approach to the ToV beta, and how the results from that would change how they approached the next beta. So, here we are.

kono
konofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 08:20 PM   #19
Ucala

I feel your sperating the testing stages on beta is one of the most annoying things ever, but /shrugs
it just makes less fun
Ucala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 03:35 PM   #20
FriggaWitch

Isn't it grand not bad for a TEST.Smile
Old 10-14-2014, 02:17 AM   #21
Griffon Lady

/keeps fingers, eyes, toes, legs, and wires crossed that this means using player's flight wings to add wings to any land/leaper/glider mount. Heck, those disks could use wings too. o.0 That adornment slot on mounts on EQ2players character pages has been sitting there an awfully long time, you know. =P So has the armor slot on mounts on EQ2players, for that matter. BigGrin Clip in the wings, slow down a running/jumping animation, alternate between the two, use the begining animation of the jump backwards and forwards for a few frames when "diving, and PRESTO! One flying rhino/boar/rabbit/squirrel (Ok, Ok... so it's not easy, and I'm a pain in the **** for saying that like it is... but it could be done without all new models/animations.)

Seriously though, there are some simply amazing mounts you never see any more because flying is the bee's knees! Lets get some old models airborn! ^_^

Also..... #Duckmount!!!!!!! >.> And maybe the original griffon Taxi/Thundering Steppes mob as a mount some day? >.>
Griffon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 07:56 AM   #22
Caminus

I'd like to see the ability to set a different ground appearance than my flying/gliding/leaping appearance. So if I'm on the ground running around it looks like I'm on my Horse of a Different Color, but when I fly, it looks like I'm on my flying Bovoch.

Also, on an only somewhat related note, I just had a great idea for a leaping mount. A gnomish, steam-powered catapult. Steam engine on-board, you sit in the bucket, and on the ground it just wheels around. When you jump, it quickly animates the mechanism firing, flings you into the air and suspends the mount graphic until you land.
Caminus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 05:02 AM   #23
Lenanu

I actually find it unfair that Heroic/Raid testing gets a flying mount while solo question gets a ground mount that will barely get used =( At least with ToV both versions of the reward were flyers....
Lenanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 05:13 AM   #24
Arieste

Yeah, but the raid/heroic one is a crappy appearance that you can get from the cash shop, while the solo one is a totally new, unique and badass looking. Plus, except for one set of zones in ToV, most instances benefit more from having a ground mount. We don't even know if there are any flight-enabled instance in AoM at this point.

I rather like that there are different mounts for solo / heroic / crafting but it's a bit of a letdown that 2/3 are just reskins of old mounts. Still, it's free stuff just for helping out, so it's appreciated and i won't complain when i get 2 or 3 of them. Smile
Old 10-15-2014, 07:55 AM   #25
Ucala

I don't think it's unfair at all.
unlike TOV, these mounts have actual stats.
stats for running around doing solo stuff.
that's really nice of them.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:04 AM   #26
Alienor

Anybody knows what has to be done exactly to get the mount rewards (both solo and heroic)? I think in ToV beta it was a reward for an achievement so you were at least able to see your progress. Something like this would be really nice.
Alienor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 09:17 AM   #27
Lodrelhai

I disagree! But only in that I think the raid/heroic one looks great and I want one and my only consolation to the probability that I won't get one is that it's not red. (Which reminds me, I need to see if my beastlord can tame those red bugs on deathweave.)
Lodrelhai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 04:08 PM   #28
Kurei Hitaka

Believe someone mentioned for the Solo mounts, you'll receive it as a placeholder reward at the end of the signature quests in Beta, as a sign that you've tested that thoroughly. Not sure on Heroics, tbh.
Kurei Hitaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 05:30 PM   #29
FriggaWitch

So let me see if I got this. To be awarded this mount you have to Totally complete the startng sig quest regardless of how many bug or feedback reports have been submitted or how much time one has actually tested the game? I guess that's fair considering how perfectly well everthing worked from the start of beta, you know with complete QL's and such. Really glad I spent time searching for things to do that weren't there. With the lack of apparent side quests and off main line quest adventuring I seriously doubt I will be interested in this xpac at all. I admit the graphics and sound are breathtaking but with no adventuring it is rather pointless to even continue testing.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:40 PM   #30
Ucala

if you look in your achievement Trimpuh window, clearing 8 heroic zones gets you the heroic testing mount.
questline mount is from doing the questline.
and "raid reward" is doing all 11 heroic things in the expac