EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

 

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Class Discussion > Fighter's Arena > Berserker
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2012, 02:09 PM   #1
Talathion
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Cladire Mortii
Rank: Initiate/Slave

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,780
Default

So yeah... why do we even have this ability its worthless?

Talathion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:00 AM   #2
Kaberu

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 405
Default

It is essentially a 33% (or 43% with adorn) chance to reduce incoming damage an additional 5% to 10% for most hits you'd be taking (hits between 6500 to 10000ish post-mitigation would be about 5% effective DR, anything less and it's a higher effective DR) except from the heavier raid mobs... in which case it's more like an effectively 2% or 3% DR.

And combine that with the ward proc to berserk and you nearly have a consistent 2% to 3% or more DR against raid mobs and 5% to 10% or more DR against the majority of heroics

I fail to see the uselessness. It's basically a scaling DR that is less effective against epic mobs.

Kaberu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 12:17 PM   #3
Talathion
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Cladire Mortii
Rank: Initiate/Slave

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,780
Default

Kaberu wrote:

It is essentially a 33% (or 43% with adorn) chance to reduce incoming damage an additional 5% to 10% for most hits you'd be taking (hits between 6500 to 10000ish post-mitigation would be about 5% effective DR, anything less and it's a higher effective DR) except from the heavier raid mobs... in which case it's more like an effectively 2% or 3% DR.

And combine that with the ward proc to berserk and you nearly have a consistent 2% to 3% or more DR against raid mobs and 5% to 10% or more DR against the majority of heroics

I fail to see the uselessness. It's basically a scaling DR that is less effective against epic mobs.

Damage Reduction Reduces damage, a heal won't save you if the damage kills you because your dead, you get healed AFTER you take the damage, not before, additionally it doesn't help your shamans wards either, since your still taking the damage, making it way less helpful then a ward.

It only works on Autoattacks, not all damage.  It also only procs from the first attack.

Ward of Rage is Trash, it reduces damage by 0.136% Zonewide.

Blood Rage is Trash, it heals for 1000 when your taking 20000-30000 Hits, which is WHAT you take this expansion in hard content, it usually parses for 700 HPS on AOE fights, and 200 HPS on single target fights.

Honestly, they need to trash blood rage and ward of rage and revamp them to be a percent based heal and critical bonus.

Talathion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:42 PM   #4
Kaberu

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 405
Default

I'm not saying it's great, just that it's not entirely useless. Blood Rage is a fantastic ability for solo mobs, an excellent to "meh" abillity on almost every heroic, and it only seems to be anything close to useless on top-end raiding.Of course, I can't think of any class that doesn't have useless (or at least "meh" abilities) when it comes to raiding. When raiding, you are basically stuck with your core mechanics... which is the point and part of the challenge.

For a while until I got some decent gear, Blood Rage was the reason I could solo some of the 90+ heroic names in SF dungeons last year. The first named in Erudin Library for example... I could only solo it if I let all the trash mobs beat on me while I fought the named. They did such low damage that they would heal most/all of the damage done by the named... all thanks to Blood Rage (no mending runes at the time) and that's not the only named I have used such tactics on!

You want the ability fixed for your needs in high end raiding? I understand that... but calling it worthless fits a person somewhere between shortsighted and selfish.

Kaberu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:02 PM   #5
Talathion
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Cladire Mortii
Rank: Initiate/Slave

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,780
Default

Kaberu wrote:

I'm not saying it's great, just that it's not entirely useless. Blood Rage is a fantastic ability for solo mobs, an excellent to "meh" abillity on almost every heroic, and it only seems to be anything close to useless on top-end raiding.Of course, I can't think of any class that doesn't have useless (or at least "meh" abilities) when it comes to raiding. When raiding, you are basically stuck with your core mechanics... which is the point and part of the challenge.

For a while until I got some decent gear, Blood Rage was the reason I could solo some of the 90+ heroic names in SF dungeons last year. The first named in Erudin Library for example... I could only solo it if I let all the trash mobs beat on me while I fought the named. They did such low damage that they would heal most/all of the damage done by the named... all thanks to Blood Rage (no mending runes at the time) and that's not the only named I have used such tactics on!

You want the ability fixed for your needs in high end raiding? I understand that... but calling it worthless fits a person somewhere between shortsighted and selfish.

Well Unfortunetly mobs don't hit for 700-1000 anymore, they hit for 300000.

It was an amazing ability, WHEN IT CRITICALED.

Your describing a time when the ability actually scaled with the gear you had (criticaled) and was an amazing ability, if it still criticalled it would be a great healing ability.

But... it doesn't critical nore scale with gear or content, therefore its worthless.

They need to just make it a Max health buff, or change it to a percent based heal.

Talathion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:13 PM   #6
Kaberu

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 405
Default

You are still describing a small fraction of mobs in a small fraction of zones that only a small fraction of Berserkers will ever see. There are probably more fighters that spend time decorating their house/GH than tank the mobs you are talking about. Maybe we should get Blood Rage to give house decorating bonuses!

And do you know what would happen if it was changed to give a +5 to Fashion Design? We'd both be complaining about catering to a small segment of the player base.The difference right now is you want it to cater to your small segment while I'm still against it, unless of course it becomes more useful in all scenarios.Blood Rage is still useful and I still use it in the manner I described in a lot of what I do. It stacks with all of our other healing (Battle Frenzy, Adrenaline, Berserk Ward Proc) and combined with the multiple ways to gain DR (Partisan Cleave, Wall of Rage, BF prestige, equipment...) as well as other sources of healing (Mending runes, Phantasmal Siphons, Renewing Bulwark, etc.) it quickly creates a high survivability tank for almost everything except the very few raid mobs and gimmicky heroics that you like to reference.

But yes, I'd love it if it critted as well! It's not useless however, it's just not as useful to you in your specific situation.

Kaberu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:19 PM   #7
Talathion
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Cladire Mortii
Rank: Initiate/Slave

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,780
Default

Kaberu wrote:

You are still describing a small fraction of mobs in a small fraction of zones that only a small fraction of Berserkers will ever see. There are probably more fighters that spend time decorating their house/GH than tank the mobs you are talking about. Maybe we should get Blood Rage to give house decorating bonuses!

And do you know what would happen if it was changed to give a +5 to Fashion Design? We'd both be complaining about catering to a small segment of the player base.The difference right now is you want it to cater to your small segment while I'm still against it, unless of course it becomes more useful in all scenarios.Blood Rage is still useful and I still use it in the manner I described in a lot of what I do. It stacks with all of our other healing (Battle Frenzy, Adrenaline, Berserk Ward Proc) and combined with the multiple ways to gain DR (Partisan Cleave, Wall of Rage, BF prestige, equipment...) as well as other sources of healing (Mending runes, Phantasmal Siphons, Renewing Bulwark, etc.) it quickly creates a high survivability tank for almost everything except the very few raid mobs and gimmicky heroics that you like to reference.

But yes, I'd love it if it critted as well! It's not useless however, it's just not as useful to you in your specific situation.

Yes, Blood Rage is very very very Useful for Soloing, and killing vv's, and killing vvv's, because they don't damage you anyways, so why not make them actually heal you instead!

Making it a 15% Health Heal would make it SCALE to the content your doing, because your health would have to be worthy of the content, a level 80 with 12000 health would only get healed for 1800, which wouldn't make it overpowered for the content YOUR doing.

But say I was raid buffed with 70000 Health and I'm tanking raid mobs, I would get healed for 10500!

If I was Heroic buffed with 56000 Health, I would get healed for 8400!

You think its a great ability now, but it doesn't scale at all, IMAGINE if you actually wanted to do harder content? that ability gets less/less/less good until one day, it does absolutely nothing to help you.

Talathion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:01 PM   #8
LygerT

Loremaster
LygerT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: las vegas, NV
Posts: 2,144
Default

Kaberu wrote:

You are still describing a small fraction of mobs in a small fraction of zones that only a small fraction of Berserkers will ever see. There are probably more fighters that spend time decorating their house/GH than tank the mobs you are talking about. Maybe we should get Blood Rage to give house decorating bonuses!

And do you know what would happen if it was changed to give a +5 to Fashion Design? We'd both be complaining about catering to a small segment of the player base.

i'm all for zerks getting a fashion bonus, house decorating skill ups are difficult unless you have alot of experience in those large end game houses.

LygerT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:02 PM   #9
Talathion
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Cladire Mortii
Rank: Initiate/Slave

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,780
Default

[email protected] wrote:

Kaberu wrote:

You are still describing a small fraction of mobs in a small fraction of zones that only a small fraction of Berserkers will ever see. There are probably more fighters that spend time decorating their house/GH than tank the mobs you are talking about. Maybe we should get Blood Rage to give house decorating bonuses!

And do you know what would happen if it was changed to give a +5 to Fashion Design? We'd both be complaining about catering to a small segment of the player base.

i'm all for zerks getting a fashion bonus, house decorating skill ups are difficult unless you have alot of experience in those large end game houses.

Dude, I want blood rage to give me a bonus to house decorating too.

Talathion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:42 AM   #10
Kaberu

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 405
Default

I certainly agree that a scaling proc makes more sense but to be fair, very few abilities scale. Damage from CAs only go up because we are buffed from other classes, not because we are hitting tougher mobs. Mitigation and skill bonuses from buffs don't increase depending on the target's relative strength. While a few rare gems can be found that do scale, it's extremely rare and sort of makes the request to have Blood Rage scale an odd request... especially considering that all those others mentioned (CA damage, Mit/skill buffs) are generally weaker/less effective against stronger/higher level mobs.I can't wait for those decorating buffs though! I can hear it now..."I was soling this dining room set when a display cabinet aggroed me! Good thing I have a high resistance to glass menageries or I would have had to respawn back at the foyer!""LF2M for remodel raid! Merchandiser/Technical Designer preffered. Minimum of 300 Design Faux Pas Mitigation... PST"

Kaberu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:10 AM   #11
Talathion
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Cladire Mortii
Rank: Initiate/Slave

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,780
Default

Kaberu wrote:

I certainly agree that a scaling proc makes more sense but to be fair, very few abilities scale. Damage from CAs only go up because we are buffed from other classes, not because we are hitting tougher mobs. Mitigation and skill bonuses from buffs don't increase depending on the target's relative strength. While a few rare gems can be found that do scale, it's extremely rare and sort of makes the request to have Blood Rage scale an odd request... especially considering that all those others mentioned (CA damage, Mit/skill buffs) are generally weaker/less effective against stronger/higher level mobs.I can't wait for those decorating buffs though! I can hear it now..."I was soling this dining room set when a display cabinet aggroed me! Good thing I have a high resistance to glass menageries or I would have had to respawn back at the foyer!""LF2M for remodel raid! Merchandiser/Technical Designer preffered. Minimum of 300 Design Faux Pas Mitigation... PST"

Right, but if the mobs debuffed your CAs/Skills can be that much more effective against them.

Your strength/potency/critical bonus/ability modifier/combat mastery/aas/prestige talents/mob debuffs also effects how much damage your CAs do.

Talathion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:25 PM   #12
Kaberu

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 405
Default

And of course, if the mobs DPS/Primary stat is debuffed, Blood Rage becomes more effective...

Kaberu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:56 AM   #13
yadlajoi

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 155
Default

more obsolete buff for zerker. with gear having 50dps ou haste you dont need the berserker proc anymore... not even to maintain a neutered adrenaline. ward of rage is utter excrement. bloodrage is terribad reactive taunt only work of weapon hit. weapon aegis is horrible. need i go on?
yadlajoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:08 PM   #14
Talathion
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Cladire Mortii
Rank: Initiate/Slave

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,780
Default

Blood Rage:

When the berserker receives damage in combat they have a chance to be healed.

Effects

When damaged  this spell has a 10% chance to cast Adrenal Flow on caster.

Heals caster for (X%)

 

 

 

Ward of Rage Rank (*/5)

Sentinel's Fate 1 point

Requires Level 81, 70 points spent in the Berserker tree

 

Anytime berserk is triggered it will gain a bonus to criticals.

 

Passive Spell

 

Effects:

Berserk will also grant a boost to critical bonus.

1%-2%-3%-4%-5%

 

 

 

Talathion is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:33 PM.

vBulletin skin by: CompleteGFX.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All threads and posts originally from the EQ2 and Station forums operated by Sony Online Entertainment. Their use is by express written permission.