EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-01-2012, 11:27 PM   #1
Kenkonken

Apprentice

I've spent time on a few different servers in my past two or three weeks of playing and I have to say, the community in this game is absolutely -horrible-. People are rude, elitist, trollish, and just straight up don't care about anyone else.

You ask a question? People get mad.

You complain about something? People get mad.

You talk a lot? People get mad.

You talk about an actual game-related topic? People get mad.

You talk about a serious topic? People get mad.

You get defensive against the people who get mad? People call you a troll.

You complain about the above mentioned things? People tell you to quit playing, so I did.

First it was the spam filter that kept messing with me, but that was finally fixed and I was going to continue playing. Now, it's the community. It's like the veteran elitists don't want any new players to come to the game. If that's the case, I'll do them a favor and leave. I've played many, many MMOs in my days, mostly free-to-play grinders, and I have never come across a community as disgusting as this one. I spent about $30 on this game in the last two weeks I've been playing, and that's all the money Sony is getting from me. I was probably going to start subscribing next week, but nope.

Good bye all you horrible people of Everquest 2. I apologize to the people who aren't like this and feel sorry for you that you have to put up with everyone else who is.

Kenkonken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:37 PM   #2
General_Info

Lord

Kenkonken wrote:

I've spent time on a few different servers in my past two or three weeks of playing and I have to say, the community in this game is absolutely -horrible-. People are rude, elitist, trollish, and just straight up don't care about anyone else.

You ask a question? People get mad.

You complain about something? People get mad.

You talk a lot? People get mad.

You talk about an actual game-related topic? People get mad.

You talk about a serious topic? People get mad.

You get defensive against the people who get mad? People call you a troll.

You complain about the above mentioned things? People tell you to quit playing, so I did.

I'm sorry you've had a bad run but really if someone told you to jump of a bridge to your death would you? Thre are always going to be people in games that have nothing better to do then harrass other people the way you have been. i've yet to see someone on my server in 1-9 get mad/troll someone for asking a simple question.

My advice is just add ignore them and find a guild that will care to anwser your questsions and give you advice.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:41 PM   #3
yohann koldheart

Loremaster

just by the "spam filter messing with you" part of your post i know who you are , and you deserved it all.

you go into multiple chat channels ask for help over and over and over and ignore  the help that people try to give.

There's nothing wrong with asking for help splendlix, just listen when your helped instead of spamming the same trash and snapping back at those that are actually trying to help you.

on AB you were getting help then trolling people that were helping you which tells the population that you really didn't want help in the first place.

i can't speak for other servers, but when your there to troll you will get ripped apart in chat. you even had the crafting channel tearing you down, and they are the some of the nicest ,helpful, and knowledgeable people on the server. 

yohann koldheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:50 PM   #4
Juggercap

Elder

bye

Run away! Run away!
Juggercap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:54 PM   #5
salty21db

Loremaster

I always found it comical that people compare communities to say one is better than the other when the gaming communities are full of all the same type of people lol.  By the way, nobody said you HAVE to be in chat channels.  I turn mine on in the morning during the week and leave it off during the evening and weekends for the most part.  Kids ftw.

salty21db is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:40 AM   #6
Mohee

Lord

I personally haven't turned on any chat channels for well over a year.

I stick to my guild, and them only. Since we are all super friendly, nice, and helpful people. For the most part, almost my entire guild stays out of general chat channels because of the filth and players that fill it up. We do not contribute to that chat.

Find a newb friendly guild, be nice, respect them and they'll respect you. Be curtious when asking questions, don't spam. If you don't get an answer or reply straight away, be patient and wait. People have lives, can be afk, or maybe busy in a group.

Like every MMO out there, you'll find a plethora of elitist, rude, terrible, trollish people. But if you dig deep enough and know where to look, you'll also find some extremely nice, generous, respectful, helpful players.

EQ'ing since 1999
Mohee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:08 AM   #7
Kenkonken

Apprentice

So I'm supposed to turn off the general chat channels, but look for nice people so I can join their guild? How does that work? If I turn off channels and don't talk to anyone, how am I supposed to find a good guild? 

Either way, it doesn't matter. I've already uninstalled the game. The LoTRO community is much better. I've honestly never run into any elitist trolls there, and I play on one of the most populated servers. So, to the person who said all communities are the same, you're wrong.

Old 11-02-2012, 01:43 AM   #8
salty21db

Loremaster

Kenkonken wrote:

So I'm supposed to turn off the general chat channels, but look for nice people so I can join their guild? How does that work? If I turn off channels and don't talk to anyone, how am I supposed to find a good guild? 

Either way, it doesn't matter. I've already uninstalled the game. The LoTRO community is much better. I've honestly never run into any elitist trolls there, and I play on one of the most populated servers. So, to the person who said all communities are the same, you're wrong.

Narrow-minded.  Cya!

salty21db is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:10 AM   #9
Brigh

Loremaster

Kenkonken wrote:

LoTRO doesn't have server-wide chat channels.

-Stephen Colbert

CoD3 double XP Rank Up promotion lesson for kids
Brigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:13 AM   #10
Tommara

Loremaster

Kenkonken wrote:

By typing "u", which calls up a menu for guilds that are recruiting and allows you to filter them for the type of guild you're looking for.  Not very intuitive, I know, so don't blast me for it.  I'm just the messanger.

BTW, you are right if you've been in level 1-9 chat.  It's horrible and those of us who've been playing awhile avoid it.  It's a major cesspool.  The best channel for kind advice is crafting, although they might object if you're asking for non-crafting information, but I'm pretty sure they'll answer your questions kindly if you explain that 1-9 was too horrible to ask in.

Tommara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:20 AM   #11
Kenkonken

Apprentice

I don't see how I'm narrow-minded. I seriously haven't run into any nice people in-game. I was kicked from a guild because I complained about not being able to handle the games graphics very well on higher settings. I was kicked from a different guild because someone claimed I wasn't new because I knew how to do the free mount quest in Darklight Woods. I've had people craft items for me or give me things because I'm new, and then turn around and yell if I asked them for help with a quest or asked a question about something else. Crafting gets mad if the question isn't about crafting, though since there are 90s in 1-9, the channels apparently aren't actually restricted.

None of this matters though. I deleted all my characters and uninstalled the game. This is also going to be my last post because these forums are borked and take eons to load. 

Old 11-02-2012, 02:35 AM   #12
Brigh

Loremaster

This is only one side of the story people. I have enough experience with certain "special" personality types to know not to trust what someone says by themselves. If you can't stand the internet, stay out of it. You can't compare LoTRO's chat due to only being exposed to the current region you are in. I bet you that if server-wide chat existed there, you would find human beings existed there as well.

If you read the announcements, these forums are being replaced.

-Stephen Colbert

CoD3 double XP Rank Up promotion lesson for kids
Brigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:38 AM   #13
General_Info

Lord

Kenkonken wrote:

Crafting gets mad if the question isn't about crafting, though since there are 90s in 1-9, the channels apparently aren't actually restricted.

None of this matters though. I deleted all my characters and uninstalled the game. This is also going to be my last post because these forums are borked and take eons to load. 

1-9 is considered the general channel given that if you looknig for ppl for high end content you can reach ppl on lower level alts that way, as for crafting channel it's pretty obvious the purpose of it since it isnt level restricted.

seems to me you just looking for every possible reason not to play. so do what you want to do leave and dont come back.

Old 11-02-2012, 02:44 AM   #14
Tommara

Loremaster

Brigh wrote:

This is only one side of the story people. I have enough experience with certain "special" personality types to know not to trust what someone says by themselves. If you can't stand the internet, stay out of it. You can't compare LoTRO's chat due to only being exposed to the current region you are in. I bet you that if server-wide chat existed there, you would find human beings existed there as well.

If you read the announcements, these forums are being replaced.

Yeah, I think you're right.  First he says that he hasn't run into any nice people, then he says "I've had people craft items for me or give me things because I'm new, and then turn around and yell if I asked them for help with a quest or asked a question about something else. "

But you have to admit, level 1-9 is awful.   

Tommara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:58 AM   #15
Rutaq

Loremaster

I'm sorry you had a bad experience,  Public chat can get dicey at times but for the most part people on Freeport seem great.

If you come back and wanted to give EQ2 another chance head over to the Freeport server and join up with Fidei Defensor,  they are large guild of great people that are very new player friendly.  If I didn't find them when I restarted playing about a year ago I would have quit EQ2 also  SMILEY

Rutaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:55 AM   #16
Ulrichvon

Loremaster

yohann koldheart wrote:

just by the "spam filter messing with you" part of your post i know who you are , and you deserved it all.

you go into multiple chat channels ask for help over and over and over and ignore  the help that people try to give.

There's nothing wrong with asking for help splendlix, just listen when your helped instead of spamming the same trash and snapping back at those that are actually trying to help you.

on AB you were getting help then trolling people that were helping you which tells the population that you really didn't want help in the first place.

i can't speak for other servers, but when your there to troll you will get ripped apart in chat. you even had the crafting channel tearing you down, and they are the some of the nicest ,helpful, and knowledgeable people on the server. 

This explains alot.  We have a similar person on Unrest who I'm sure would say the same thing about the community.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:42 PM   #17
LordPazuzu

Loremaster

You know, running into a jerk or two in 1-9 is expected.  But when you get smacked down by world chat, the crafting community, and get kicked from multiple guilds, I don't think the problem here is the community.

I find when absolutely nobody likes you, the problem isn't everyone else, it's usually you.

It's also rather telling that after "quitting" the game you made a point to come onto the forums to complain about it and then even follow up on the post with a reply.

LordPazuzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:48 PM   #18
SteelPiston

Loremaster

The 1-9 chat channel is hours of free entertainment. I can't count how many times that I've been doing trade skill rush orders and haven't finished on time from spending too much time reading and laughing at the antics of the 1-9 troll channel. It also really helps to pass the time when doing mundane stuff like harvesting.

I'm on the Freeport server and we spend a lot of time bashing each other. Sometimes it gets a bit mean and people start throwing sand in the sandbox and get a 'time out', but I've also noticed that people miss the trolls when they don't log in at their normal times. We have our dayshift trolls, afternoon and nightshift trolls. I think what it is, is that familiarity breeds contempt. We are an 8 year old community and most of us have known each other for a long time. The politeness that we would normally give to strangers seems to mostly have gone out of the window.

Old 11-02-2012, 03:33 PM   #19
snowhaze

Journeyman

I have to agree with LordPazuzu, it sounds like you were the issue here.

I only recently came back to EQ2 and have been playing a couple of months now, I enjoy the general chat but usually don't participate in it, its nice to have something to look at while crafting or gathering.  I have asked maybe 3-4 questions in general chat about questing/leveling/crafting and every time I got back several helpful tells/chat that answered what I was after.

As suggested earlier, I found a guild by looking at the find guild utility and I'm not unhappy with the guild, I just miss the old EQ1 days where the guilds I was in were full of people and there was always something going on (of course that creates other problems with conflicts of personality SMILEY)

For other new people, I suggest keeping a website open like eq2.zam.com which will answer many of your questions and then resort to chat with things you can't find.

Anyway, games are meant to be fun and if you find Lotr more friendly, then you should definitely stick with it.

snowhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:34 PM   #20
quiarrah

Loremaster

I'm sorry but the nicest comunity of people I have run into are here in EQ . . . I also play WoW and Guild Wars 2  (Guild Wars 1 before that) and I met more rude people there than anywhere else.

You can say that there are more rude people or nice people somewhere if you prety much know the general age bracket of the game. WoW caters to the "child set" . . now don't go jumping down my throat there. .I am 50 years old and I play WoW. I am saying that in general. . . the game caters to that age group. Not sure about GW2 yet. . .but they are not a talkative community.  I know on the splitpaw server here our guild has a running joke that most of us are in the "over 30 crowd" and that we should change our name to "The Over 30 people of the Dragon" instead of "The Last People of the Dragon"  . . . but anyway. . . .

I have alot of fun here and whatever that guy said. . . .it's not true. This is the BEST community I have ever met!

Old 11-02-2012, 05:11 PM   #21
Cloudrat

Tester

LoL  I think we have a troll trying to drum up business for another game. 

We can be rude and complain a lot,(families are like that with each other) but  the EQ2 community trips over itself to help new people on every server.  I have stopped in  every level chat on every server and people are generally helpful. Don't let this guy yank your chainSMILEY 

Old 11-02-2012, 06:49 PM   #22
Moiya
Server: Najena
Guild: Knights of Honor

Loremaster

lol Ulrichvon i know who you're talking about and yeah it sounds exactly like him, but even yesterday we had someone on Unrest who was making these same complaints that nobody would help them all because they had been trying to put together a grp for awhile for UD and was having trouble getting a healer then started whining in open chat about noone helping and like i told them once they start whining then they're just making it so noone will want to help them at all.

As to the OP's comments about the veteran players, elitist trolls etc who are the cause of this, get over yourself YES there are vet players, elitist trolls etc who do this but I hate to tell you this but even newbies who just join this game can be even more unhelpful and rude then the rest.

Like i told the person in chat yesterday who was whining , b4 you start in on chat channels complaining keep your head low, get in grps, get to know people, listen to wat people have to say and then maybe just maybe you'll find the EQ2 community to be a nice helpful bunch. 

Moiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:45 PM   #23
Mohee

Lord

I've been playing EQ2 since it was in beta. I played EQ1 when it originally launched.

I've tried many other games. Their communities scared me off quicker than I could give the game a chance...

The only game I've found with what I think to be the best community of players? Is honestly when I tried out Vanguard a few months ago. They were all super nice and helpful in public channels when that game released, and when I went to try to play again a few months ago, It felt like there was even MORE super nice, awesome, helpful people then there was before in that game.

But then again, the population is super low there... seriously though... the few months I played I never ran into a single person that had a bad attitude, or was rude, or wasn't helpful. Everyone there is super awesome! (and so are the GM's!!! they are super quick at answering petitions, and helping you, and they even chit chat some and make you feel good SMILEY )   

EQ'ing since 1999
Mohee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:53 PM   #24
Vinyard
Server: Antonia Bayle

Loremaster

Vinyard here

Vinyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:42 AM   #25
Wirewhisker
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Collateral Damage

Loremaster

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

Vinyard here

Sup Vinyard! Vote for the Coldwind King Crab for President of Norrath in 2012!

Wirewhisker is offline   Reply With Quote