EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-20-2012, 01:08 PM   #1
Xrazor

Loremaster

Ok, I know this question has been beaten to death but most posts on this subject are old.

When I left the game the Pally was one of the top raid tanks due to the fact that all tanks could max mitigation and the pally had damage reducing abilities and heals.

But when I left there was rumors that guards and zerkers where going back to having higher mitigation, so my question is of course in you opinion is the pally still good or do guards or zerkers take top spot now?

And did they change the mitigation and by how much?

Thank you...

Xrazor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 02:21 PM   #2
Ambrin
Server: Nagafen
Guild: Illuminati

Loremaster

Brawlers (mostly Monks) are the top tanks at the moment, I MT for my guild as a monk. We have a Paladin offtank who can take about the same amount of damage that I do, but he does 1/2 of my DPS at best.

As far as receiving damage goes, he takes a bit less damage than I do every time he is hit do to his Mythical buff (all tanks have roughly the same physical mit), but I maintain much higher avoidance and I have the tools to completely negate spike damage with proper timing.

Ambrin - 92 Monk / 92 Tailor / 320 AA

Ambryn - 92 Dirge / 320 AA

Visjeer - 92 Necromancer

Oryn - 90 Inquisitor
Ambrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 02:34 PM   #3
Xrazor

Loremaster

Well dang.....one of the reasons I am coming back is due to the fact all these new games out there are trying to get away from the plate wearer being main tank.

Looks like EQ2 needs to change the name of the Guardian 

Old 10-20-2012, 05:03 PM   #4
Mermut

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Well dang.....one of the reasons I am coming back is due to the fact all these new games out there are trying to get away from the plate wearer being main tank.

The two raid forces I run in have Guardian/SK (MT/OT) and SK/Pally (MT/OT). Pallies are still solid as main tanks with their mitigation, AoEs and amends.

Old 10-20-2012, 05:40 PM   #5
Xrazor

Loremaster

Mermut wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

The two raid forces I run in have Guardian/SK (MT/OT) and SK/Pally (MT/OT). Pallies are still solid as main tanks with their mitigation, AoEs and amends.

If you had a choice would you pick guard, zerker or pally?

Old 10-20-2012, 06:40 PM   #6
Mermut

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Mermut wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

If you had a choice would you pick guard, zerker or pally?

Of those three I'd be least likely to pick the zerker, just based on class and the tools the three have available. That being said, the person behind the toon is at least as important as the class. I've seen Pallies that couldn't hold aggro off an angry kitten and guardians who took hits like they were dressed in tissue paper. Know your class and it's abilities... the death saves, the aggro grabs, the damage immunities, etc.. If you know your class well and play it well, you're likely to find a place.

Old 10-20-2012, 06:51 PM   #7
Davngr1

Loremaster

if you're looking to be a raid tank then you can't go wrong with guardian.    guards are so terrible at everything else that devs usually try to keep them viable as MT's every expansion no matter what non-sense any given dev team decides to throw at us.

Old 10-20-2012, 08:13 PM   #8
ZUES

Loremaster

We run with a Guardin MT and two offtanks. One is a Zerker and the other is a Bruiser(me). Our SK is just a fill in. We dont even have a pally in our guild. The zerker and bruiser just have to tools to hold mutiple targets off the raid force. Unfortunatley, out of all tank classes, no tank holds better single target agro than the guardian.

A major problem is the zerker is ALWAYS out of power in HM Drunder and PoW. Even with a dedicated coercer. Until they fix Adrenaline (power hog), the zerker will never be as good as a guardian in raids.

ZUES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:02 PM   #9
Mohee

Lord

I play Guardian as MT, our OT is either a SK or Bruiser (Paladin on fridays). Everything works out great!

Easy 

EQ'ing since 1999
Mohee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:14 PM   #10
Ulrichvon

Loremaster

We run Guard MT and Zerker/SK OT's.

We have a brawler alt to fill in for MT if the guard isn't there.

Early on in this expansion brawlers were king, but things have been adjusted and guard is just as viable, if not better in some situations.