EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-22-2011, 08:41 PM   #1
deadcrickets2

Loremaster

What compelling thing would you add to the Live service to bring and keep players?  Ignore F2P, no taking away things from either side and no pot shots (again, ignore F2P).  What do you believe would work to bring players to Live?  So many talk about players not staying, etc, but I rarely see any post a suggestion that would lead to a solution.

So .... have at it!

Am also on Playxpert.

If I have time I'll even answer tech questions.

deadcrickets2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:49 PM   #2
Darkeendragon

Loremaster

How about some advertising.

Darkeendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:54 PM   #3
Kimber
Server: Nagafen
Guild: Rapture

Loremaster

Yes advertising.

Also instead of 14 day trial make it 30 days maybe and raise the lv cap for it to 30 ( not sure if it still stops you at 20 anymore )

Guild Sickpuppies
Kimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:35 AM   #4
Eugam

Loremaster

Its to late. It started late Faydark/Rok and DoV was the final nail in the coffin. All devs can do is to try and move forward and probably they will make a new game out of the ruins.

However. I would fix mentoring in groups. While soloing mentoring is ok like it is. But in groups the highlevels are far to strong. Newcomers dont feel challanged when grouping with highlevels. There is no danger in heroic dungeons, no feeling of accomplishment. Its boring for them.  Worst case is one of those bragging uber highlevels who clear the whole dungeon on their own, while the others are basically AF. Boring.. and people leave. I saw that many times, even in my own guild. There is no risc with a lvl90 defiler in group.

Then i would introduce the epic path. Similar to the golden path it should guide people through content as it was intended back then. Do prism1 , prism2, Hero of Maj'Dul and so forth. Each step on the "classic" progression unlocks the next. At the end there should be a nice reward.

To enable people to achieve such it is required to tone down mentoring in groups, add mercs to beat raids with maybe 12 people and devs have to look into itemization. For example rewards from SoS and PoA timelines have to be sufficient to beat the raids in KoS. Additionally crafting has to morph into a alternative path of itemization. There needs to be a Super Mastercrafted quality. It should require a bit more efford to get them. Like more rares, status tokens...

Another help would be if they could make all dungeons autoscale to the number of group members. Anything as long as the dungeon is able to offer the risc of death. To make it a bit more challanging i would bring back a mild lock out on failure.

For all dungeons from SF to DoV a "mini epic" timeline is required (if not already there) to encourage people to visit all dungeons once or twice.

Scripting has to go for the most part. Scripted nameds are the incarnation of boredom. Even the old mana pool vs. named was better. It forced people to use their available skills wise. Overkill is as boring as under achieving imho.

Allow people to transfer from extended to live. Even if the only thing they are allowed to keep is their level and AA. Make the token to transfer from extended 0 U$.

Eugam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:52 AM   #5
Crismorn

Loremaster

The game needs to be rewarding, fun and challenging from 1-90 OR they need to let people start at level 90.

Currently a new player would have to dedicate 2-3 months getting his first toon to 90 while spending the majority of his time solo and then they realize that they learned absolutely nothing on their way to 90 and basically have to relearn how to play eq2.

Crismorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 04:11 AM   #6
Cratoh

Loremaster

ggressive and expensive advertising, advertising on WoW wiki and guide sites. Like they do on ours!

Forum - 1. a meeting or assembly for the open discussion of subjects of public interest

Censorship - deleting parts of publications or correspondence.

"Where there is official censorship it is a sign that speech is serious"
Cratoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 12:27 PM   #7
Yimway

Loremaster

Add a F2P option to live.

I know you didn't want that answer, but accross the industry that is the solution that works to bring players into older titles.

Old 08-23-2011, 12:28 PM   #8
JazzMaus

Journeyman

deadcrickets2 wrote:

What compelling thing would you add to the Live service to bring and keep players?

I'd hire a Marketing & Advertising department, since apparently SOE doesn't have one.

O, yea, & what Atan said, too.

Talechaser Tuckpaw, Troubador of Permafrost
JazzMaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 12:31 PM   #9
Morghus

Loremaster

Proper advertising.

A fixed graphics engine that doesn't run like garbage.

A dedicated dev team that doesn't design and change things within a vacuum, and actually have a clue as to what players want/need, and what players are actually capable of doing, along with more forum activity.

A /bug and /feedback feature that does not go into a blackhole, and that has increased priority when outgoing from a character on a test/beta server.

Morghus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:03 PM   #10
Crillus
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Ashen Dawn

Loremaster

Mix EQ2 and Vanguard, perhaps in the form of an expansion.

Keep EQ2's adventure system, add VG's crafting and diplomacy systems.

Add Bloodmages and Disciples to healers, rest of the classes are basically existant in EQ2 anyway, with some differences, of course. But making the game 'healer heavy' would help grouping overall.

It seems to me, what Vanguard lacks to make it a prime game, EQ2 has. And the other way around as well.

WoW has the corner for the "login and press a button for max level" players - so something needs to fill the gap for players who want a EQ style game with all it's complexities and challenges.

Crazy idea huh? I realize it's probably far too involved, but if the populations mixed, minus the 10/15% that would freak out; it would help. Purely my opinion, of course. Then of course, advertise.

Crillus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:06 PM   #11
Starley
Guild: Dire Knights

Loremaster

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

Mix EQ2 and Vanguard, perhaps in the form of an expansion.

Keep EQ2's adventure system, add VG's crafting and diplomacy systems.

Add Bloodmages and Disciples to healers, rest of the classes are basically existant in EQ2 anyway, with some differences, of course. But making the game 'healer heavy' would help grouping overall.

It seems to me, what Vanguard lacks to make it a prime game, EQ2 has. And the other way around as well.

WoW has the corner for the "login and press a button for max level" players - so something needs to fill the gap for players who want a EQ style game with all it's complexities and challenges.

Crazy idea huh? I realize it's probably far too involved, but if the populations mixed, minus the 10/15% that would freak out; it would help. Purely my opinion, of course. Then of course, advertise.

It's crazy.. it's off the wall.. but I like it. I think you may be onto something here..

Starley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:46 PM   #12
Lasus

Just speaking for myself, is for people to group.

I realize that the game is occupied mainly by high level characters, it happens to all MMOs.  Maybe the dungeon finder will help if it does not turn out to be the horror show like that other game.  I would hope that the player base here is more mature.

I may be a relic but I play MMOs to group, not to play an online solo game.

Lasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:56 PM   #13
Yimway

Loremaster

Morghus wrote:

Proper advertising.

A fixed graphics engine that doesn't run like garbage.

Great suggestions for EQNext, not really great ideas for EQ2.

Advertising 7 year old games doesn't pay huge rewards.  Most MMO players out there know EQ2 exists and have already formed some sort of opinion about it.

Investing heavily into an old platform isn't the most fiscally sound decision for a game company to make.  Their largest investments must be into making the next thing.  Now if somehow they could adapt whatever new engine comes with EQnext to also work on the EQ2 platform, that would be rather cool, but may present too many challenges to be cost effective.

If you want to bring more people to EQ2, you have to go way outside of the box.  You need a promotion that changes peoples already existing evaluation of the game and gets them to try it. F2P is one way this has been done.

If it was me, I would do this:

Run a promotion that any new or returning EQ2 player can create one character that starts at level 82/200aa, and a full set of MC gear.  Allow them to play for free for 30 days with this promotion.  Some web based advertising of said promotion on industry websites along with it and you are good to go.

You need the promotion that actually challenges / changes a gamer's preconcieved notions of what EQ2 is.  I'm confident many players view it as an old game that would take way too long to catch up on.  Much the same way I view Eve.  Looks like a really fun game, but the idea of starting this late into it is daunting enough to stop me from doing it.

A Jump-Start program is in my opinion what it would take to get some interest in an old game like EQ2.

Old 08-23-2011, 04:50 PM   #14
JazzMaus

Journeyman

[email protected] wrote:

Advertising 7 year old games doesn't pay huge rewards. 

Blizzard apparently disagrees, judging by the constant presence of WoW F2P linkies littering the 'Net.

Beyond that, while your other ideas are sound, they do no good if SOE doesn't ... you know ... advertise their existence. & speaking of existence, you might be surprised at the number of people -- who are themselves MMO players -- who apparently don't know that EQ2 exists at all.

OTOH, maybe a better idea is simply to eliminate the Marketing Department entirely, & put all of its funding & employees to work at developing EQ2. After all, if you're not going to use your Marketing Department .... why bother having one?

Old 08-23-2011, 05:32 PM   #15
Tallithia

Lord

deadcrickets2 wrote:

What compelling thing would you add to the Live service to bring and keep players?  Ignore F2P, no taking away things from either side and no pot shots (again, ignore F2P).  What do you believe would work to bring players to Live?  So many talk about players not staying, etc, but I rarely see any post a suggestion that would lead to a solution.

So .... have at it!

Not my job. SMILEY

Be Careful what you ask for. You may get what you want but at what cost?
Tallithia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 05:36 PM   #16
Yimway

Loremaster

JazzMaus wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Blizzard apparently disagrees, judging by the constant presence of WoW F2P linkies littering the 'Net.

I wouldn't draw many comparisons to Wow.  It is its own animal and what works for Wow doesn't necesarily work for any other MMO.  And when your sitting in hot tubs filled with cash heated by cash burning stoves, burning money on advertising isn't much of a concern.  Blizzard has publicly admitted their advertising campaign isn't cost effective (they spend more than they bring in) in getting new players.

Old 08-23-2011, 09:53 PM   #17
Crillus
Guild: Ashen Dawn

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

JazzMaus wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

I wouldn't draw many comparisons to Wow.  It is its own animal and what works for Wow doesn't necesarily work for any other MMO.  And when your sitting in hot tubs filled with cash heated by cash burning stoves, burning money on advertising isn't much of a concern.  Blizzard has publicly admitted their advertising campaign isn't cost effective (they spend more than they bring in) in getting new players.

Would have to agree there too - one of the reasons I'm here is because it's not WoW.

Don't get me wrong, I played it for a while and it's a good game - I just prefer a more EQ style game, that's all. WoW seems to be way too focused on a narrow style of raiding or total PvP, but I understand why many like it.

Crillus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:59 PM   #18
gourdon

Loremaster

Up the ante on WoW.  Have an unlimited free trial to level 40 or 50 with few restrictions.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:19 PM   #19
JazzMaus

Journeyman

[email protected] wrote:

It is its own animal and what works for Wow doesn't necesarily work for any other MMO. 

Every other MMO of any significance at all -- even LOTRO -- advertises.

Talk of sitting in a hot tub flush with cash may be relevant to Blizzard, but I hardly think it's relevant to Turbine. It certainly isn't relevant to Trion Worlds, yet I've seen more TV commercials for Rift -- which is decidedly inferior, compared to EQ2 --than I've ever seen for EQ2. I've even seen more TV commercials for FREE REALMS than I have for EQ2 SMILEY

Beyond that, I clearly remember a Red Name claiming, last September, that just as soon as Extended got "shaken out", SOE would begin aggressively advertising it. Quite clearly, that has not happened, for no good reason I can think of. In fact, I can't think of a single context in which deliberately refusing to market your own product makes any sense at all.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:29 PM   #20
Tallithia

Lord

JazzMaus wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

It is its own animal and what works for Wow doesn't necesarily work for any other MMO. 

Talk of sitting in a hot tub flush with cash may be relevant to Blizzard, but I hardly think it's relevant to Turbine. It certainly isn't relevant to Trion Worlds, yet I've seen more TV commercials for Rift -- which is decidedly inferior, compared to EQ2 --than I've ever seen for EQ2. I've even seen more TV commercials for FREE REALMS than I have for EQ2

Beyond that, I clearly remember a Red Name claiming, last September, that just as soon as Extended got "shaken out", SOE would begin aggressively advertising it. Quite clearly, that has not happened, for no good reason I can think of. In fact, I can't think of a single context in which deliberately refusing to market your own product makes any sense at all.

I would rather the money be spent on the game then the advertising.  This game has done well for 7 years without adverts.  

Be Careful what you ask for. You may get what you want but at what cost?
Tallithia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:43 PM   #21
Landiin

Loremaster

1. Advertise. You have to advertise no matter what. There is new people joining the MMO ranks every day. They don't see EQ2 adds they see WOW, more WoW, some LoTR and then the litter of others.
  2. New Graphics engine. People like pretty and well EQ2 isn't pretty with the Walmart computers 90% of the people get. The graphics engine upgrade in EQ1 made me and others stay with them much longer, well till EQ2 went into beta for me any way.
  3. Class definition and stick with it. To many classes do the same thing "but different". Each class needs a equally important and dedicated roll in raids. Notice I said class not sub-class. There are to many sub-class to make this even remotely happen.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:06 PM   #22
NardacMM

Loremaster

1) Allow transfers from F2P to Live. (assuming they'd rather garner monthly subscriptions than a F2P playerbase, which is uncertain.) I don't give a crap what they've bought with their RL money. It's no different than SLR and things will even out during every expansion.

2) Free trial with 3 character slots until your first character reaches level 39 or 150 AAs.  New players will be hooked by that time and be unwilling to part with their character.  It's better than giving people a jumpstart to level 82 since it forces them to play.  Plus they may spend money on SC items during the trial.

Old 08-24-2011, 12:10 PM   #23
JazzMaus

Journeyman

Tallithia wrote:

I would rather the money be spent on the game then the advertising. This game has done well for 7 years without adverts. 

Yea, because clearly all of those server mergers & all the complaints about servers being ghost towns are proof positive that this game has done "well" for the past 7 years.

Old 08-24-2011, 12:15 PM   #24
JazzMaus

Journeyman

[email protected] wrote:

1. New Graphics engine. People like pretty and well EQ2 isn't pretty with the Walmart computers 90% of the people get. The graphics engine upgrade in EQ1 made me and others stay with them much longer, well till EQ2 went into beta for me any way.

The fault is with the lazy, uninformed consumer for buying cheap Walmart garbage & expecting it to run modern, high-end graphics. That's one area where I don't fault SOE in the least -- EQ2 looked light-years better than WoW the day it was released, & has only gotten better as my PC has, where WoW is the same chunky, blocky, silly-looking cartoon garbage it was 7 years ago.

Old 08-24-2011, 12:44 PM   #25
Neskonlith

Loremaster

Merge every server into a massive Norrath, keep non-fluff EQ2x stuff for lower than lvl80 so that end-game is clear.

Also, advertising!

"...Gibbets, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of carrion in the morning. You know, one time we had Freeport TG defended, pvp for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked to their revive spot. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' QQ body. The smell, you know that putrescent smell, the whole writ house. Smelled like… victory..."

- Apocalypse Gnome
Neskonlith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:24 PM   #26
Yimway

Loremaster

JazzMaus wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Talk of sitting in a hot tub flush with cash may be relevant to Blizzard, but I hardly think it's relevant to Turbine. It certainly isn't relevant to Trion Worlds, yet I've seen more TV commercials for Rift -- which is decidedly inferior, compared to EQ2 --than I've ever seen for EQ2. I've even seen more TV commercials for FREE REALMS than I have for EQ2

Rift is not 7 years old, not all gamers have built a conception of what it is.  EQ2 however I think you'll find the majority of MMO subscribers know of it and have formed some opinion of it already.

Lotro upped their advertising when they went F2P.  Their F2P system is significantly more successful than EQ2s.  I really wish SoE had been brave enough to model their F2P offering after DDO and Lotro's successful implementations.

EQ2X was marketed last year.  A push was made to get the adds on primarily the WoW information websites, wikis, etc.

Old 08-24-2011, 01:26 PM   #27
Yimway

Loremaster

JazzMaus wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

1. New Graphics engine. People like pretty and well EQ2 isn't pretty with the Walmart computers 90% of the people get. The graphics engine upgrade in EQ1 made me and others stay with them much longer, well till EQ2 went into beta for me any way.

The fault is with the lazy, uninformed consumer for buying cheap Walmart garbage & expecting it to run modern, high-end graphics. That's one area where I don't fault SOE in the least -- EQ2 looked light-years better than WoW the day it was released, & has only gotten better as my PC has, where WoW is the same chunky, blocky, silly-looking cartoon garbage it was 7 years ago.

Um, the fault isn't with the people buying bad computers, the fault is with SoE cause most of the rendering work done by this game is on the CPU instead of the graphics card.  SoE has made some half-hearted attempts at making this better, but never really devoted the resources needed to truely fix it.

Old 08-24-2011, 03:09 PM   #28
Elf_Queen

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

JazzMaus wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Um, the fault isn't with the people buying bad computers, the fault is with SoE cause most of the rendering work done by this game is on the CPU instead of the graphics card.  SoE has made some half-hearted attempts at making this better, but never really devoted the resources needed to truely fix it.

Yeah this game runs like a tank even on really good computers, and when it was first released almost unplayable by most.. I suffered through using high performance settings because Im addicted to the everquest name. Unfortunately the ship has sailed for a lot of folks but I really think that if people come back now with the newer computers out at least able to play it they would be pleased with the game. If I had a nickle for everytime I heard someone who came back after 4 or 5 years and was like WOW this game has changed I'd be rich.. unfortunately so many people won't try it again or still have that bad taste in their mouth

Elf_Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 03:17 PM   #29
MurFalad

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Blizzard does not seem to agree with you.

[email protected] wrote:

Most MMO players out there know EQ2 exists and have already formed some sort of opinion about it.

In the US perhaps, but in Europe I first learnt about EQ2's existence when looking for EQ1. 

I'd go further to bet that most MMO players have not ever heard of EQ2, especially seeing how WoW players are bowled over by very ordinary graphics in other new MMO launches (especially the recent WoW clone).

MurFalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 03:20 PM   #30
Hammieee
Server: Everfrost

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Add a F2P option to live.

I know you didn't want that answer, but accross the industry that is the solution that works to bring players into older titles.

no, im already sick of scrubs running around who dont know how to play now

Hammieee is offline   Reply With Quote