EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > The Development Corner > In Testing Feedback
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-12-2009, 03:29 PM   #31
thecynic315

Loremaster

therodge wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Having smart loot identify the patterns in your inventory and adjust the drops accordingly seems like such a basic, simple, logical concept I almost feel insulted that they haven't even offered a reason for not doing it.

Changing smart loot code requires developer time.

Changing zone lockout timer requries someone to edit one xml file and change a 5 to a 3.

Your answer's great, however it would seem like a minimal effort to add checks for 1 additional item, and they still haven't offered a reason for not doing it.

Wonder if it would take longer than, say, changing how/when the set bonuses were applied to Fighter sets.

A dev touched on this already, theirs a problem with the code checking for multiple types of items against smartloot as it would have to check for the pattern the mold and the item

for(1,12){

if(Character.Flag.WoE.Patern = 1 || item_patern = 1 || item_equipment = 1 || item_Mage_Helm = 1){

Character.Flag.WoE.Patern = 1;

remove_from_drop(Pattern_type_x);

}

else{

Character.Flag.WoE.Patern = 0;

add_to_drop_pattern_type_x;

}

}

yeah that was hard to code alright. SOE you have my address so please just send the release form and payment there.

Old 06-12-2009, 03:40 PM   #32
revren

Loremaster

Hey Hey

I would also like to add that the smart loot, does not seem to count the mage helm if you have added the circlet to it. 

There are alot of issues with smart loot in this zone, and i do not see what the big deal on making the timer shorter, For the people that can breeze threw the zone and for the most part and do not  need the patterns  , why do you care so much? In 6 months it will be vender/muter trash.

Any thing that gets more people into grouping, and raiding is a good thing.

Welcome Home

Rev

revren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 04:05 PM   #33
Yimway

Loremaster

revren wrote:

There are alot of issues with smart loot in this zone, and i do not see what the big deal on making the timer shorter, For the people that can breeze threw the zone and for the most part and do not  need the patterns  , why do you care so much? In 6 months it will be vender/muter trash.

Yeah, there are multiple issues, and really an array of possible exclusions for each pattern type.

I can understand not wanting to modify the base code functions as they apply to many different zones to add in checking at this level to solve an issue that exists for only a small portion of the code smartloot affects.

I imagine these functions are also much more complex as they have to check banks, inventory, houses, equipment, broker, etc, etc.

I certainly understand you may 1) recognize there is a problem 2) recognize the problem isn't big enough to warrant dedicated resources to change code base 3) recognizing you don't have the assets to deploy for the ideal sollution 4) recognizing an alternate zero effort sollution is good enough for _today_.

I appreciate that they've listened to our feedback, weighed the issue, and found a reasonable compromise.  They certainly were not obligated to do any of that.

Old 06-13-2009, 12:38 PM   #34
Kordran

Loremaster

Noaani wrote:

therodge wrote:

A dev touched on this already, theirs a problem with the code checking for multiple types of items against smartloot as it would have to check for the pattern the mold and the item

It does this with the VP sets, so I'd like to see a link.

Players can just hang on to the mold, or use the mold to create a pattern and just hang on to the pattern, or use the pattern to create the item. In other words, maybe the smartloot system isn't "smart" enough to go that deep, looking for something that creates something that's used to create something else.

Although it's a different issue, the whole system they have there is needlessly complex, but I guess it's because the way their merchants work, they don't know how to take two items (plus coin) as payment for something. So they had to split the process across two NPCs. The side-effect being that the smartloot system apparently doesn't know how to deal with it all appropriately.

Personally, I'm fine with the 3 day lockout change, they should just eliminate the so-called smartloot and have it drop whatever molds and other loot.

Old 06-15-2009, 03:23 PM   #35
Obadiah

Loremaster

Kordran wrote:

Noaani wrote:

therodge wrote:

It does this with the VP sets, so I'd like to see a link.

Players can just hang on to the mold, or use the mold to create a pattern and just hang on to the pattern, or use the pattern to create the item. In other words, maybe the smartloot system isn't "smart" enough to go that deep, looking for something that creates something that's used to create something else.

Although it's a different issue, the whole system they have there is needlessly complex, but I guess it's because the way their merchants work, they don't know how to take two items (plus coin) as payment for something. So they had to split the process across two NPCs. The side-effect being that the smartloot system apparently doesn't know how to deal with it all appropriately.

Personally, I'm fine with the 3 day lockout change, they should just eliminate the so-called smartloot and have it drop whatever molds and other loot.

So basically ... it can do it with VP patterns because that's only 2 "layers". This is 3 layers, which is [inexplicably] impossible.