EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > The Development Corner > In Testing Feedback
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-05-2009, 02:25 PM   #301
AnjelikaR

Loremaster

I think most that are for it feel no need to post here.  If you're content, no point in arguing.  I'm fine with it.  And based on guild discussion, the majority of our guild are happy about it.

AnjelikaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 02:26 PM   #302
shadowgate

Loremaster

Agreed, there should be some quest element. Even if it was only once a week (at Tier 8 where you check in with the RA and he says, "You know what I could use X or could you ask Z about this for me so that it doesn't delay my research"? Those X and Z would be sending you somewhere level appropriate and dont even have to be to heroic zones but overland zones of your level tier. Without this there is no tie to "earning" the master it is just a slow vending machine.

Avathar 90 lvl Warden

Yarrr 90 lvl Dirge

Blackmyth 69 lvl Necro

shadowgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 02:33 PM   #303
Noaani

Loremaster

Mordith wrote:

Haha, same here. I stated that I am for the RA but am open to other options as well.

You stated that you are open to a cost being applied to it. To me, that put you as less than a die hard "omg this needs to not have a cost so i can afk progress my toonz".

As I said, I just drew a different line of where I put each person.

The superior man knows what is right.
The inferior man knows what will sell.

Confucius

Noaani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 02:45 PM   #304
Noaani

Loremaster

Eriol wrote:

So since you're so averse to having time being a determinant for "free" stuff, I'll assume you've absolutely HATED the idea of veteran rewards, and have eschewed them from the start?

No?

Hypocrite.

I'm not overly keen on the veteran rewards, however, none of them allow you to progress via not playing the game.

The potions that are avalible from vet rewards (and SC) mean you get more progress for the time you put in playing the game while they are active, but if you activate one of them and go afk for its duration, you gain nothing.

This is something I would be happy to see added instead of the RA: a potion that increases your chance for a master drop, or skews the chances of a master dropping for your specific class while soloing. What this does is add control to rewards that the player has earnt. It doesn't give them anything for nothing, as they still need to kill mobs that have a chance of dropping masters.

If you reverse this and alter the veteran reward potions to be more like the RA, they would be a one use, instant 100% experiance potion. When you use it, you gain one level and end up with the same percentage towards the following level as you did when you used the potion. Oh, it would only work for every even numbered level, of course.

Its not "time" I am opposed to, its the inactivitity of the whole thing I am opposed to. However, I have only /claimed one of my veteran rewards thus far - the moppet illusion. Even my sales crate is siting unclaimed.

Confucius

Old 06-05-2009, 02:45 PM   #305
Solkarr

Loremaster

Well... there is a cost that most people are forgetting... the $14.99 a month cost.

If it takes 30 days to get the master spell upgraded, SOE knows the player will pay for 1 month so they can get their upgrade, and logically the following month because whats the point of collecting your desired master spell on the last day of your subscription and then quitting the game?

Taking 1 month to get a master spell, when they have started a trend of raising the level cap every other year (AND taking into account that each tier takes longer for the RA to make, indicating that a T9 master would take OVER a month) a person could expect a maximum of 24 spells mastered before the level cap raises... probably more like 18. Not many people will be happy with only getting masters this way.  Most people will buy masters they think are priced reasonably and use the RA on ones they perceive as too rare to drop for them and too expensive to buy.  Many many people will still buy them no matter the price right at the begining, because they want to be maxed out first.

The system as it stands is nice... people can slowly get upgrades (stress on slowly) as long as they keep playing.  BUT no one is going to turn into a powerhouse just because of the RA.

And there is a cost, which helps SOE keep their books in the black, which is good for us because it keeps the game alive and expanding.

Old 06-05-2009, 03:01 PM   #306
Noaani

Loremaster

Solkarr wrote:

Well... there is a cost that most people are forgetting... the $14.99 a month cost.

In that case... I pay my $14'99 a month and I want full avatar gear!

Oh wait... our subscription fee doesn't give us items or upgrades or anything, it gives us access to the servers so that we can use our characters to go out and get those things. Has this suddenly changed?

If it has, I want my full avatar gear.

Confucius

Old 06-05-2009, 03:40 PM   #307
Tigerlord001

Loremaster

Noaani wrote:

If this was the implementation of the RA from the start, there wouldn't have been more than a few hundred posts about it. With the current implementation, we are up to almost 2.5k.

There wouldn't be nearly so many posts about it if YOU in particular would stop griping and moaning about it. Most people here post simply in reply to your constant whining. Let it go. The RAs aren't going to hurt your precious playstyle or "omggamekill" EQ2.

Tigerlord001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 04:20 PM   #308
Gaige

Loremaster

Tigerlord001 wrote:

Second, even though I've been in multiple raiding guilds during my time in EQ1 and EQ2, I despise gaps between the "haves" and have-nots". I find the "I should be better than you" attitude many raiders flaunt to be entirely repulsive, and the fact that people are so quickly jugded by the quality of gear they have is nothing less than pathetic.

Raiders can come back in response to this with their "I put in the hours, you should too!" comments all day long, but it still doesn't change my opinion on the subject. Creating gaps between the playstyles just leads to problems and strife among players, and I'll stand behind anything the devs do that helps to reduce that.

So what would you do to create incentive for players to raid if the quality gaps were removed?  If a soloer, heroic player and raider all ended up with the same stats, the same spell qualities and the same gear why would players raid?  What reason would there be for players to dedicated the time required to down the hardest raid content if soloing reaps the same benefits.

Also I never understood why people think a player killing a troll in Moors should be rewarded the same as 24 players killing the God of Undeath.

The attitude you think raiders have is warranted, although your miswording it.  We think we deserve better gear because we conquer the hardest content in this game that takes the most people to accomplish.  There is a bigger effort, so therefore the reward has to equate to that effort or else, as I said, no one will raid.

As I've stated hundreds of times the only way to have no gaps between players is if all those players are doing the same content.  You can't even really say all doing solo content, because some solo content has better rewards than others so unless all players utilize it you'll even have small gaps there.

As long as SOE makes different styles of content there will be two truths:

1) There will be a gap between players of different playstyles

2) If there isn't a gap between the different playstyles, then people won't use the content that takes more effort, so you really only have one playstyle anyway.

Old 06-05-2009, 04:26 PM   #309
Yimway

Loremaster

Eriol wrote:

So since you're so averse to having time being a determinant for "free" stuff, I'll assume you've absolutely HATED the idea of veteran rewards, and have eschewed them from the start?

No?

Hypocrite.

Veteran rewards are fine.  They do not provide end progression quality rewards.

I personally would have no issue with the RA handing out free A1, or even A3 spells, as well, it still leaves something for the player to go engage the game to earn.

Getting stuff for free isn't a good idea.  There are plenty of people who simply retire from game when the cap Level+AA+Fabled+Masters.  As for them, when there is nothign else left to pursue, there is no further reason to play the game.

Old 06-05-2009, 06:47 PM   #310
Reiella

Loremaster

Noaani wrote:

Reiella wrote:

42 out of 286 posts.

Umm... and?

That larger forum threads tend to increase in banality.

Reiella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 08:20 PM   #311
Tigerlord001

Loremaster

Gage wrote:

Tigerlord001 wrote:

Second, even though I've been in multiple raiding guilds during my time in EQ1 and EQ2, I despise gaps between the "haves" and have-nots". I find the "I should be better than you" attitude many raiders flaunt to be entirely repulsive, and the fact that people are so quickly jugded by the quality of gear they have is nothing less than pathetic.

Raiders can come back in response to this with their "I put in the hours, you should too!" comments all day long, but it still doesn't change my opinion on the subject. Creating gaps between the playstyles just leads to problems and strife among players, and I'll stand behind anything the devs do that helps to reduce that.

So what would you do to create incentive for players to raid if the quality gaps were removed?  If a soloer, heroic player and raider all ended up with the same stats, the same spell qualities and the same gear why would players raid?  What reason would there be for players to dedicated the time required to down the hardest raid content if soloing reaps the same benefits.

Also I never understood why people think a player killing a troll in Moors should be rewarded the same as 24 players killing the God of Undeath.

The attitude you think raiders have is warranted, although your miswording it.  We think we deserve better gear because we conquer the hardest content in this game that takes the most people to accomplish.  There is a bigger effort, so therefore the reward has to equate to that effort or else, as I said, no one will raid.

As I've stated hundreds of times the only way to have no gaps between players is if all those players are doing the same content.  You can't even really say all doing solo content, because some solo content has better rewards than others so unless all players utilize it you'll even have small gaps there.

As long as SOE makes different styles of content there will be two truths:

1) There will be a gap between players of different playstyles

2) If there isn't a gap between the different playstyles, then people won't use the content that takes more effort, so you really only have one playstyle anyway.

Since I dislike raiding and only chose to do it when I did because SOE loves to lock the majority of any given expansion's lore behind the wretched raiding playstyle, I don't care what raiders do to find their motivation, or if they ever find one. Mine was to see the content and the lore, not get gear, which is why once I've seen content I stop raiding for a couple of expansions. If others are only doing it for the gear, then that's their problem.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:25 PM   #312
Gaige

Loremaster

Tigerlord001 wrote:

Since I dislike raiding and only chose to do it when I did because SOE loves to lock the majority of any given expansion's lore behind the wretched raiding playstyle, I don't care what raiders do to find their motivation, or if they ever find one. Mine was to see the content and the lore, not get gear, which is why once I've seen content I stop raiding for a couple of expansions. If others are only doing it for the gear, then that's their problem.

So basically you think EQ2 would do fine if they stopped catering to raiders totally.  Just removed all raid content from the game?  You don't think that would affect the population of EQ2 at all?

Old 06-05-2009, 08:28 PM   #313
Kiara

Community Relations

Enough talk of what playstyles should or shouldn't be supported, please.

To each their own.  We try to provide entertainment for all, and just like asking for a certain class to be nerfed, it is not appropriate to tell others that their playstyles are wrong because you don't like it.

Let's remember to be respectful of each other, please.

Thank you.

Kiara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 08:29 PM   #314
Tigerlord001

Loremaster

Yeah pretty much. Raiding attracts such a large portion of people with massive egos, selfish attitudes, and arrogant visions of self-importance that constantly flood whatever zone, group, or chat channel they happen to be in, that the game would surely be better off losing some of those people for the good of the overall community atmosphere.

Funny that I only have to point to your sig to cite just one example of that attitude.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:36 PM   #315
Gaige

Loremaster

Good to see you don't shovel people into stereotypes or anything.

As for my sig, if people didn't think their own opinions were the correct one, they wouldn't have them.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:55 PM   #316
Tigerlord001

Loremaster

I didn't say all of them, I said a "large portion" of them, and I don't have to stereotype those people since they do a great job of falling right into those stereotypes themselves, where they quickly make themselves an annoyance on whichever server they reside.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:01 PM   #317
Catacl

General

I've been reading this thread since page one, and i gotta say....i see alot of folks beating around the bush, so i'm just going to say what folks are thinking. People do not like the idea of the RA eating into the outrageous cost of some masters out there......period....end of story........The folks that farm for weeks to make a killing off Death march........hate me, flame me, but you cannot deny it......plat/money seems to always crop up in this game, and you all don't like the idea of someone getting something that you didn't sell them for some gigantasmic, unbelieveable price.

Catacl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:47 PM   #318
Tigerlord001

Loremaster

Cataclyx wrote:

I've been reading this thread since page one, and i gotta say....i see alot of folks beating around the bush, so i'm just going to say what folks are thinking. People do not like the idea of the RA eating into the outrageous cost of some masters out there......period....end of story........The folks that farm for weeks to make a killing off Death march........hate me, flame me, but you cannot deny it......plat/money seems to always crop up in this game, and you all don't like the idea of someone getting something that you didn't sell them for some gigantasmic, unbelieveable price.

QFE ^

Old 06-05-2009, 09:59 PM   #319
Lodrelhai

Loremaster

Cataclyx wrote:

This thread.  Really.  The one that starts with several alternatives to the free RA, all of which are designed to make the RA interactive and allow players to apply their effort directly towards the exact reward they want.  All of which would also decrease the amount of money farmers charge for those super-rare masters because the people would still go to the RA rather than pay through the nose.

Oh yeah, I see it all now.  Everyone here, and in the other 100+ page threads on this same topic, only wants to protect their plat pile.

Lodrelhai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:17 PM   #320
Kiara

Community Relations

attacking othersdid not stop when i said itthis thread shall rest now

Kiara is offline   Reply With Quote