EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Support Forums > Tech Area > General Tech Support Questions
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-01-2012, 08:52 AM   #1
Mort1

Apprentice

Critical Error 'application ran out of memory when requesting 27152 bytes (limit 1534MB current 1256MB)'

I get this message when I try to log onto or zone into our guild hall sometimes, what does it mean? not enough RAM?

Mort1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:11 PM   #2
Contessia

Lord

i get this several times a day,, told its a mem leak on game side and nothing can be done about it sigh

Contessia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:15 PM   #3
Leinna

Loremaster

Mort1 wrote:

Critical Error 'application ran out of memory when requesting 27152 bytes (limit 1534MB current 1256MB)'

I get this message when I try to log onto or zone into our guild hall sometimes, what does it mean? not enough RAM?

Typically a 32-bit application on a 32-bit operating system is unable to request more then 1.5-1.7GB of memory by limitation of the operating system.  I assume you are using a 32-bit Windows OS?  The limit for a single process to comsume more then 1.6GB of memory was removed in 64-bit operating systems.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:22 PM   #4
Qanyena

Loremaster

I get the same error on my 64 bit windows 7. EQ2 has a memory leak I posted another resource leak up. For them to say nothing can be done about it is poor programming imo however we are talking about a game 8 years old and doubt soe is focusing any resources on fixes for this game other than bare essentials while all the dev team is moved to EQNext. Sad really because EQ1 still seems to have a dang good dev team bringing content out all the time,.

Qanyena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:05 AM   #5
Mort1

Apprentice

Ah thanks, such a shame to come back and play after a 2 year break and find i'm getting this error all the time.

I guess it's cancel Gold subscription and back to WoW then.

Mort1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:34 AM   #6
Morgania434

Lord

Try your graphics setting on Extreme and work your way up to the best, game looks like crap at extreme, but by testing this way I was able to stop having those errors. And this is the ONLY game my computer has a problem with. All the newer games run awesome on it, and it's an old computer lol
Morgania434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:52 PM   #7
Peogia

Loremaster

Mort1 wrote:

If your unabled to log your character in because your camped in a guild hall you can submit a ticket and request a gm move your character to another zone

http://soe-ing.custhelp.com/app/ans...tail/a_id/18172

The FBI is encouraging users to visit a website run by its security partner, http://www.dcwg.org , that will inform them whether they're infected and explain how to fix the problem. After July 9, infected users won't be able to connect to the Internet.
Peogia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:11 PM   #8
TSR-JoshuaM

Customer Service

The error itself doesn't necessarily mean you do not have enough ram but it can definitely be caused by that.

It can also mean you are exceeding the per application limit, which is how much memory Windows allows a single application to request.  This is 2GB by default for the latest 32 and 64 bit versions of Windows(and 1.5gb on older versions of 32bit Windows).  This is the most common reason people may crash when entering a guild hall as the resources required to load every object located in the zone can be quite hefty.

Your recourse here is to increase the amount of memory Windows allows an application to request (assuming you have ample amounts of actual physical RAM installed in the system), increase the amount of system RAM you have (32bit Windows allows 4GB of addressable memory space while 64bit Windows will take advantagae of much much more), or upgrade to a 64bit OS if you would like to be able to use over 4GB of system RAM.

Keep in mind that the 32bit Windows limitation of 4GB addressable memory space includes your system RAM and video card's ram.  Anything over 4GB cannot be addressed by a 32bit Operating System.

We have a thread under our Performance forum which I've linked for you below that explains the 32bit memory usage and offers a workaround.   If you are using a 32bit version of Windows, this workaround would only address receiving this error if your system isn't actually running out of memory and it is just Everquest II exceeding 1.5/2GB of memory usage itself.

Windows itself and all of your background services/applications consume memory that add up towards these limitations.

EDIT: Adding link - http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/...topic_id=506883

Technical Support Representative

Sony Online Entertainment

How to Contact Support:

https://help.station.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/28939

How to Create a DXDIAG/MSINFO

https://help.station.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/28973
TSR-JoshuaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:50 PM   #9
SOE-MOD-02

Community Moderator

This post has moved: /eq2/posts/preList.m?topic_id=49996...post_id=5755071 Off topic and trolling.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:37 AM   #10
cherica

Loremaster

hmmm amazing to find this thread my game has gotten to the point of being almost unplayable due to this error.  The gm are trying to tell me it is my computer causing the problem.  Tell you what if that is the case lets all take up a collection and buy me a new computer and solve all of our problems.  please anyone getting the memory crash put in a petition.   

cherica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:56 AM   #11
Wingrider01

Loremaster

cherica wrote:

hmmm amazing to find this thread my game has gotten to the point of being almost unplayable due to this error.  The gm are trying to tell me it is my computer causing the problem.  Tell you what if that is the case lets all take up a collection and buy me a new computer and solve all of our problems.  please anyone getting the memory crash put in a petition.   

Played for 6 hours saturday and longer on sunday includng raiding - never had a crash in the client. Windows 7 X64 fully patched, Nvidia 690's running 306.23, run vetrillo client and ACT when I am online

What else is running when you are playing and what arew your specifications?

Yes Jim, the user has experienced the dreaded PICNIC error

Wingrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:54 PM   #12
cherica

Loremaster

There is a fix they know what the problem is AND how to fix it but that involves admitting a problem  please visit :

Subject: 32bit game memory usage explained   under the tech support and performance issues

cherica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:05 PM   #13
Breez

Loremaster

Since patch this morning I'm been getting "unrecoverable error and must shut down".  This happens right after I try to log in my character.   Please Sony, fix this problem.  Updated vid drivers and have plenty of memory.

Breez is offline   Reply With Quote