EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-05-2012, 10:54 AM   #1
woogster

Loremaster

I am very concerned with the decisions being made by SOE.  I have not felt this way about the game for some time. However saying this I feel SOE is becoming selfish and no longer caring for there veteran players.  It really isn't just the veteran players either, its everyone.  At a time when people are having to get by to make it in game, and real life with struggles, with the assistance of others major corporations ie SOE are taking advantage as well.  Many of us the game is a sole form of entertainment and feeling of success and i feel that lately SOE doesn't care.  

My first example is the recurring membership availablilty from the cards.  Sorry SOE but you guys do not have the best track record to make the people of this game want to give you personal credit card information.  Secondly I have noticed that if anyone in game finds a way to make some sort of headway in game where they can get things. (player made dungeons) to possibly make plat to get better gear for their players you guys nix that too.  Not everyone has to time or the money to get into this and be the hardcore raiders everyone else does. Perhaps the people of SOE need to be in the games more with the people to see. You DON"T get accepted into teams without the right gear, and you can't get the right gear without the teams.

My second and last example of the SOE concern is the fact you give double xp on a holiday that is suppose to be spent with family and friends. OUTDOORS enjoying fireworks and bbq but won't extend it beyond that?  I believe there was not much forethought in that and well, downright unamerican for SOE but I guess thats the way majoy coorporations have become. I am sorry to see that SOE and EQ2 are on such a slippery slope. Perhaps SOE developers, GM's and management should log into the different servers and see the disscussion I am not the only one that feels this way.  Please SOE don't let us down!!

woogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:23 AM   #2
Elorah

Loremaster

As a player since the beginning, I must admit that I do not see it like you do.

The recurring subscription thing is just that.  Recurring.  A game card that you buy from a store does not guarentee funds every month as you would have to go to the store and pick one up.  As for not trusting SOE with a credit card, have you used your credit card at a restaurant or gas station lately?  What about an ATM?  If people REALLY want your information THAT badly, they will find a way to get it. 

I am a crafter and I tend to solo too much.  That is my play style.  If you would like to be a raider, then you need to put in the time to do so.  It is the same in life.  If you want to be a doctor, you need to take the time for the education.  In the end, this is a game or even a hobby.  If you feel that it is not worth it to you, then it is time to stop.  This is the way that I have always said that I would be.

As for the holiday?  They ALWAYS do that.  This year was a bit different as the holiday fell in the middle of the week.  Usually they do a weekends worth of double XP, in which case people who work during the weekends complain about it being unfair to them.  Maybe this time, they were able to take advantage of it.  My point is that they can not make everyone happy all the time. 

My day yesterday?  I worked from 9-5, played some EQ2 with my son.  Made time for meals with the family AND watched the fireworks with my family and friends.  That was my choice SMILEY

In the end, it is all in what you feel and enjoy.  I just wanted to state my 2 cp as well to give a different point of view SMILEY

Old 07-05-2012, 11:30 AM   #3
Andok

Loremaster

woogster wrote:

My second and last example of the SOE concern is the fact you give double xp on a holiday that is suppose to be spent with family and friends. OUTDOORS enjoying fireworks and bbq but won't extend it beyond that?  I believe there was not much forethought in that and well, downright unamerican for SOE but I guess thats the way majoy coorporations have become. I am sorry to see that SOE and EQ2 are on such a slippery slope. Perhaps SOE developers, GM's and management should log into the different servers and see the disscussion I am not the only one that feels this way. 

Double XP is always (almost always?) on holidays or holiday weekends.  I don't get to participate in most myself because I am doing the same as you, busy with friends and family in the real world.  Still, I always try to sneak in some time between activities so I can get a little easy XP... and I think that's the point.  SoE is trying to entice people to play when they would otherwise not.

Andok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:42 AM   #4
Finora

Tester

While I won't claim to be completely happy with how things have been going, I do not really agree that the problems you cite are actually problems.

First, SC subs. If you could get SC cards, you can just as easily get the $15 cards that work either as 1500 SC or a month's sub. You just can't buy SC on when they have double or triple SC events and buy a sub for ultra cheap anymore.

I don't understand what you are saying about playermade dungeons & plat. If you can't make enough plat for your needs in this game, you are doing something wrong. As for not having time to do dungeon maker as well as other things, well that is just budgeting time. If you really wanted to do it, you would budget yourself some time in.

As for devs being in game, well having spoken with many of them, almost everyone I've met or spoken to from SOE's team plays the game. You might even be guilded with one and not know it. Now what they do with that and what the upper management that tells them what they can and can't do does with that is another thing entirely.

Double Xp for holidays almost always happens. If you want to get double XP you squeeze in a bit of time for that. I enjoyed the double xp myself for the amount of time I had to spend on the game. There were serious storms in the area when I normally would have had the time to play & I deemed time with my kids & husband more important than busting out aa/level to 92 with another character so I didn't end up using much of the time. It was nice for those who didn't have anything better to do on the 4th (and those who aren't from the US). Not everything is about what's convient for you.

Finora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:43 AM   #5
Knives
Server: Everfrost
Guild: The Fallen Legion

Loremaster

While I agree that SoE has shown its greedy side in the past few years, I don't think I agree with your points specifically.

There are ways to pay your subscription (and even get a recurring membership) without giving SoE your primary credit card information. You could get a reloadable debit card and use it solely for EQ2. If this is too much trouble, then I'm not sure if EQ2 is right for you. I was here with everyone else when SoE got hacked, but I continue to pay by credit card. Personally, if I was legitimately concerned about my card's security, I would not associate myself with that corporation at all.

There was actually a discussion in chat about the subscription model yesterday that opened my eyes to just how badly it was implemented. I hadn't been using Station Cash to purchase my subscription, but some people had. One individual purchased 2 years with $40 by taking advantage of triple station cash events and the half-off days. Another person got 2 years with 1500 plat - while SOMEONE had to pay for the Station Cash, it's likely they paid about as much as the first individual. I'm surprised SoE didn't take action earlier.

Segueing into your next point: "Not everyone has to time or the money to get into this and be the hardcore raiders everyone else does." Being a hardcore raider isn't a right granted to every person who plays EverQuest 2. The great thing about MMOs - especially EverQuest 2 - is that there is something to do for everyone. If you don't have time to raid, that's fine, go finish the Withered Lands quest series, find a guild composed of like-minded individuals with the same amount of free time as you, and start getting entry-level groups together. While I am an advocate for MMOs focusing on every type of player (I frequently argue with raiders on these forums who say that people who play by themselves in MMOs aren't relevant), I don't think every type of player should be able to do everything. That lessens the feeling of accomplishment for everyone in the long run.

Finally, the issue of double experience. I see this every Fourth of July, actually - and I'm confused every time I see complaints. If you enjoyed your holiday with friends and family, then what's the difference? Some people aren't as passionate about the Fourth of July. To many people, it was simply a welcome day off of work. Just as you got to relax and have an exciting time outside, many people got to relax and have an exciting time in Norrath. There's nothing un-American about it - the EverQuest II team (while probably out with their own families enjoying the holiday) were simply thanking players for spending their holiday in Norrath.

Knives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:38 PM   #6
Hogatha

Loremaster

I have to say, I was thrilled that the double exp came when it did.  Usually it is always on the weekend, and for once I was able to participate (and get my 2nd main to 90....92 long off, but oh well).  Anyway, I guess double exp lasting longer is always nice, but I'll definitely take it when I can. 

Hogatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:03 PM   #7
Regolas

Loremaster

I agree with everyone but the OP. It isn't a right to get subs with SC. It's only been implemented a short time compared to the games life. As for the double xp. I live outside of the US so 4th July is meaningless. Having it on that day meant I could only play half the amount of time I could have if it had been on the weekend, but I'm not complaining. It's a bonus, not a right. I got a few hours of more productive xp gains and now I hope the next one falls on a day I can actually log on, because it may not. But hey, that's the life of a casual gamer.
Regolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:14 PM   #8
Kasar

Loremaster

Elorah wrote:

The recurring subscription thing is just that.  Recurring.  A game card that you buy from a store does not guarentee funds every month as you would have to go to the store and pick one up. 

SOE used to have a reliable revenue stream they could count on each month with their subscriber base. 

They themselves decided to destroy that in an attempt to get some to pay more, though less reliably.  They knew what they were giving up, and knew they'd lose subscribers in the process.  Their F2P marketing hasn't brought millions of short-term players in to replace the thousands of long term ones they lost.  I feel no sympathy for a poor business decision.

Kasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:12 PM   #9
Xanu
Server: Kithicor
Guild: Tres Amigos

Loremaster

I've been here since 2005 and I think it's the most fun it's been in quite some time as a recurring subscriber with two accounts.

That being said, Remember, anything made easier for us (solo players primarily) is going to make it easier for raiders, too.

I don't know the answer except to try to find your own bit of happiness within the pixel world.  I know it's not terrific, but hopefully, there can be some peace and enjoyment somewhere within.

Xanu is offline   Reply With Quote