EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-27-2012, 09:13 PM   #1
Vinyard
Server: Antonia Bayle

Loremaster

According to the June update plans, it's supposed to come out by the end of the month.

They have tomorrow as their last regular hotfix/patch day for the month.

Thoughts?

Vinyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:25 PM   #2
Onorem

Loremaster

Thoughts? Who cares? Happy happy Joy joy to the 12 people who are looking forward to it.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:32 PM   #3
Veltherel

Loremaster

Most players probably don't know what this is, but I suspect it's going to be a bigger success than people realize.  Provided it actuall works well, I think it's going to be massive once everyone cottons on to it.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:36 PM   #4
Onorem

Loremaster

Veltherel wrote:

Most players probably don't know what this is, but I suspect it's going to be a bigger success than people realize.  Provided it actuall works well, I think it's going to be massive once everyone cottons on to it.

Why? It'll be a novelty for the masses for a couple weeks and then a handful of RPers will care. Who do you know that cares to slow down their gameplay so they can swing around to look at the gimmick facial expressions of the person talking?

Old 06-27-2012, 09:42 PM   #5
Lempo

Loremaster

I'd like to add myself to the don't care pool. The technology has its' place no doubt, and in a game where player to player interaction is uh well more 'face to face' (sorry) it would be great to have. The only thing we are going to get here is thread after thread about how when I wrinkle my eyebrows it makes me look like I have a unibrow and all hands on deck will jump on that and work until it is fixed, while issues that actually affect gameplay are put on a back burner.

It is really funny that people actually think this is being done for EQ2 (not a poke at you Vinyard) instead of simply using us as a testbed.

Somewhere in Norrath a guild is about to dissolve.
Lempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:12 PM   #6
Veltherel

Loremaster

Onorem wrote:

Veltherel wrote:

Why? It'll be a novelty for the masses for a couple weeks and then a handful of RPers will care. Who do you know that cares to slow down their gameplay so they can swing around to look at the gimmick facial expressions of the person talking?

Pfft, you could say the same about any "fluff", but EQ2 lives by its fluff, in fact I suspect the gigantic amount of fluff in EQ2 is one of the main reasons it's still going.

And of course it's being used as a testbed, but that means we get it first!

Old 06-27-2012, 10:22 PM   #7
Mohee

Lord

Quote me.

I bet when this gets patched into live, at least 10 things totally unrelated to voice chat get broken.

End Quote

=) and i'm being super optimistic!

EQ'ing since 1999
Mohee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:00 PM   #8
Knives
Server: Everfrost
Guild: The Fallen Legion

Loremaster

Mohee wrote:

I bet when this gets patched into live, at least 10 things totally unrelated to voice chat get broken.

That's true of any game update, though.

Veltherel wrote:

Pfft, you could say the same about any "fluff", but EQ2 lives by its fluff, in fact I suspect the gigantic amount of fluff in EQ2 is one of the main reasons it's still going.

I have to agree with this. I'm a veteran of many MMOs, and I've played EQ2 as a casual player to a hardcore raider and everything in between over the years, and "fluff" is a major factor in what keeps me coming back. I'm personally not excited for SoEmote, but if it keeps some players happy and coming back then good for SoE. I know the EQ2 team is small, but things still get done even when a fraction of the team is working on "fluff".

Some people have a narrow-minded view of what's important. It's surprising how many people have no idea that some players pay a subscription and play 2-3-4x as much as a raider and all they do is decorate houses. Others play this game just to quest and have never grouped a day in their lives. To each their own.

Knives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:26 PM   #9
Onorem

Loremaster

Veltherel wrote:

Onorem wrote:

Veltherel wrote:

And of course it's being used as a testbed, but that means we get it first!

Any "fluff" doesn't get the promotion that this nonsense has. I see nobody has actually responded to my point instead of my tone.

Old 06-28-2012, 06:21 AM   #10
Drupal

Elder

I am in the don't care group. I am here to adventure and kill stuff, not try to look at the facial expression  of someone.

Drupal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:44 AM   #11
Katz

Loremaster

I don't even use voice chat most of the time.  I'm sure some people will really enjoy it though.

Katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:39 AM   #12
Smirkey_of_Nektulos

Loremaster

I'm more interested in a Holgresh Lore & Legend and maybe having water, bones and earth drop from mobs in the new zone -- you know, because those sorts of minor things have been staples of the game up until now -- than this SOEmote thing.  iMacs are especially lousy computers for this game to begin with, so it's not like my wife or I have our graphics up high enough to see faces at a decent resolution from more than a yard away anyways.

More basic content and less gimmicks, please?

Wait, what?
Smirkey_of_Nektulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 11:45 AM   #13
Equilibrium
Server: Kithicor

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Mohee wrote:

Veltherel wrote:

I have to agree with this. I'm a veteran of many MMOs, and I've played EQ2 as a casual player to a hardcore raider and everything in between over the years, and "fluff" is a major factor in what keeps me coming back. I'm personally not excited for SoEmote, but if it keeps some players happy and coming back then good for SoE. I know the EQ2 team is small, but things still get done even when a fraction of the team is working on "fluff".

Some people have a narrow-minded view of what's important. It's surprising how many people have no idea that some players pay a subscription and play 2-3-4x as much as a raider and all they do is decorate houses. Others play this game just to quest and have never grouped a day in their lives. To each their own.

The "to each thier own" mentallity is what destroyed this game. Too much time and resources have been spent on soloers that have never grouped a day in thier lives, in an MMORPG. The entire point of an MMO is the multi player experience, and when they give so much attention to the people that play an MMO to solo, you get the low population this game is experiencing. There is no excuse for the brand Everquest to not be even in the top 20 most popular MMO's. They took the brand from number 1, to barely even talked about anymore because of stuff like this. To each thier own though, right?

Equilibrium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:24 PM   #14
Veltherel

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Mohee wrote:

Veltherel wrote:

The "to each thier own" mentallity is what destroyed this game. Too much time and resources have been spent on soloers that have never grouped a day in thier lives, in an MMORPG. The entire point of an MMO is the multi player experience, and when they give so much attention to the people that play an MMO to solo, you get the low population this game is experiencing. There is no excuse for the brand Everquest to not be even in the top 20 most popular MMO's. They took the brand from number 1, to barely even talked about anymore because of stuff like this. To each thier own though, right?

You'll have a job convincing anyone that SoEmote is something for soloers

I don't know how much you've toyed with other MMOs on the market, but trust me, you're bloody lucky with EQ2 being the way it is, it's almost the last "real" MMO around (that's still graphically good enough to compete nowadays).  This, and EVE Online are the only high profile "real" MMOs left IMHO (a better led Vanguard could have been The One, so sad), the only games that still retain the original concept of an MMO effing RPG - the feeling of a virtual world, a place to be, a second life.  Most MMOs have catered not so much to the soloist but to the "Achievers" - whether soloists or groupers.  Achievers want clearly defined competitive "ladders" and they don't want to "waste" any time on anything else.  For my money, it's actually catering to those types (and that includes, on one extreme, hardcore raiders and at the other extreme, those soloists who want to "do everything") that's ruined MMOs.

IOW, it's turned MMOs into a bunch of hamster wheels with chat lobbies with only a vestigial sense of virtual world connecting them.

EQ2, being one of the few MMOs that isn't totally hamster wheel based, is unique for that.  Sure it has many forms of progression, but they're not all competitive, and many are just for immersion.  This is a game in which you can settle for a while at some level for as long as you like and still get a sense of achievement, because it's not all about the effing combat, and it's not all about being better than anyone else at something, it's sometimes just about being immersed in the virtual world - just being there.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:26 PM   #15
1rocketjones

Loremaster

Does anybody play the game zoomed in close enough to see facial expressions?

One time I stabbed a guy in the face. Know what he said?

Not much.

1rocketjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:01 PM   #16
Yimway

Loremaster

1rocketjones wrote:

No.

Old 06-28-2012, 04:02 PM   #17
LadyMist

Loremaster

I wonder how many guys will be caught picking their nose

Old 06-28-2012, 04:08 PM   #18
Elebu
Guild: Ancient Prophecy

Loremaster

LadyMist wrote:

I wonder how many guys will be caught picking their nose

Because guys are the only ones that pick their noses?  :rolleyes:

Elebu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:35 PM   #19
Knives
Server: Everfrost
Guild: The Fallen Legion

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Mohee wrote:

Veltherel wrote:

I completely agree, I would never play a game that catered only to soloers, just like I would never play a game that catered only to raiders. You seem to have missed the point of my post, and perhaps the point of MMOs.

I have many friends who typically solo. They don't want SoE (or any developer) to produce content specifically for them. They simply choose to do the content that they can do on their own. I've seen so many people get excited soloing content that people were raiding years ago. From an economic stand-point, their 15 dollars is no different than anyone else's.

SoE has a bad reputation for not providing the players with what they want. You don't get a low population by providing content to all types of players, you get a low population by providing BAD content to all players.

Knives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:32 PM   #20
Regolas

Loremaster

I couldn't care less about the facial expressions but I am looking forward to picking a voice for my toons for voice chat and I hope others do the same. I hate hearing a butch biker voice coming from a high elf or a squeeky 12 yr old voice on an ogre SK.
Regolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 11:40 PM   #21
Vinyard

Loremaster

I'm not even asking this question because I care about SoEmote.

We were told in the June Update Plans that it would launch "later this month" (posted on June 13). And well....they have 2 days to get this out.

Vinyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:09 AM   #22
Leawyn

Loremaster

1rocketjones wrote:

A much better question is: Does anybody play this game with their web cam on? I am sure this will cause a ton of lag even if hardly anyone is using it. If it doesn't, I'll stop eating bacon!

Maelani | Maelya | Maerie | Maehymn | Maewyn | Maekita | Maelynne
Leawyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:15 AM   #23
Drupal

Elder

1rocketjones wrote:

One time I stabbed a guy in the face. Know what he said?

Not much.

You mean he didn't grin or have any other facial expression ?? I am shocked, shocked I say !

Old 06-29-2012, 05:17 AM   #24
Rainmare
Server: Oasis
Guild: Pillage

Loremaster

I have a cheap webcam that's always on unless I remember to turn it off. and it doesn't effect my lag in game not one bit.

and yes, some of us do play in first person some of the time, and yes, some of us do stop to talk to guides or do guide events and don't feel the need to be zoomed out as far as we can be for it.

Some of us have the ingame sounds on and the ambient noise and don't NEED to be zoomed out to the 400th degree angle to know what's going on around us.

Some of us can go into a room without being in third person zoomed out and get a grasp on the layout more then well enough to handle jousting Aes or hiding behidn pillars or what have you, and can learn after 1 or 2 pulls at most where adds come from and be able to deal with it without being in third person. Or, can zoom out to thrid for a pull, note where they come from and zoom to first and still handle themselves just fine. Point being, being in third person is not a requirement to effectively play this game.

we'll see how SoEmote goes. but they blatantly said when promoting it this is for the RPers. and there are a lot more then you probably assume there are. sure this may not be used as much in adventuring. but I know I'd use it during guide events. I'd use it for chatting with guides (though I think for that, they'd need to make an 'open world' voice chat channel or something) and I bet I'd use it while showing off the homes I've helped build or my own homes I've built.

Rainmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:42 AM   #25
Drupal

Elder

[email protected] wrote:

I have a cheap webcam that's always on unless I remember to turn it off. and it doesn't effect my lag in game not one bit.

and yes, some of us do play in first person some of the time, and yes, some of us do stop to talk to guides or do guide events and don't feel the need to be zoomed out as far as we can be for it.

Some of us have the ingame sounds on and the ambient noise and don't NEED to be zoomed out to the 400th degree angle to know what's going on around us.

Some of us can go into a room without being in third person zoomed out and get a grasp on the layout more then well enough to handle jousting Aes or hiding behidn pillars or what have you, and can learn after 1 or 2 pulls at most where adds come from and be able to deal with it without being in third person. Or, can zoom out to thrid for a pull, note where they come from and zoom to first and still handle themselves just fine. Point being, being in third person is not a requirement to effectively play this game.

we'll see how SoEmote goes. but they blatantly said when promoting it this is for the RPers. and there are a lot more then you probably assume there are. sure this may not be used as much in adventuring. but I know I'd use it during guide events. I'd use it for chatting with guides (though I think for that, they'd need to make an 'open world' voice chat channel or something) and I bet I'd use it while showing off the homes I've helped build or my own homes I've built.

Let me bottom line this for you. When this goes live ( and mark my words ) it will break at least 10 other important things. Second of all it will not work and if it ever does it will be hideous.

Oh and yes I am willing to take bets on this ...

Old 06-29-2012, 06:44 PM   #26
Gilasil

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

+1

I think this pretty much summarizes a lot of the posts on this board.  If they themselves won't use some feature, and if nobody they know personally will use it, then it's obviously a useless feature which devs shouldn't be wasting their time on.  At least according to some.

I also found it amusing to see that, in a thread about when SoEmote will be available, so many people cared enough to post that they didn't care.

Gilasil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 04:36 PM   #27
SiegaPlays

Loremaster

I am looking forward to the EQ2 vblogs by frogloks and ratongas forthcomming from the implementation of SOEmotes...

-------------------------------------------------------------

MMO-Charmed web - there is a lot of games out there

-------------------------------------------------------------
SiegaPlays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:28 PM   #28
SisterTheresa

The Vigilant

I don't think it will be implemented in time.  And though it isn't something I will use personally I am sure there are many who think it is a great feature.  I don't RP enough face to face to use it (and i don't have a web cam so oh well).