EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

 

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2012, 03:41 PM   #31
Senara

Defender
Senara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 23
Default

Raffir wrote:

 No one has seen much more than a hint of EQNext.  And you're already griping about it and predicting failure when you know, in your heart, that you'll be pounding the doors down to be let in as soon as it rolls out.

EQ2 is still a solid game with more available content than almost any playable MMO in existence right now.  If you guys could find something better, you wouldn't be here still complaining...well, most of you anyway.

Raf

I would pose that a lot of people have found something better. Otherwise...Why the population has gone down, not up?Why "Free to Play" had very little meaningful impact after 3 months? (low retention)Why there has already been two rounds of server mergers?Why another round of server mergers is likely in the upcoming future?The amount MMO players across the world, continues to rise. With it, as does the number of other competitive titles. If EQ2 was the "best" MMO on the market, would it not be logical that the population, and general recognition of EQ2 would reflect such? Just apply some simple logic here.There is undoubtably a portion of the playerbase who continue to play EQ2, because they absolutely love the game. There is also a portion of the playerbase who continue to play, because they have invested years of time prior to today, and simply walkinng away from it all (guilds, friends etc) is not something done lightly. However, EQNext will put guild affiliations and prior invested effort to a null point, meaning any title on the market is up for consideration. It is not a given that every EQ2 player will go racing to EQNext, infact, far from it.So while I am certain EQNext will get the wave of players who love checking out any new game (for about 2 months), the challenge SOE will have, is keeping them playing after that. A lot of doomsayers were claiming EQ2 would kill EQ1, and it did not happen. I am not making any attempt to claim that EQNext will kill EQ2, but I am interested to see how the next installment of EverQuest impacts the populations of the prior two versions.

Senara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:41 AM   #32
DamselInDistress

Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 510
Default

Senara wrote:

A lot of people have found something better.It is why the population has gone down, not up.It is why "Free to Play" had very little meaningful impact after 3 months. (low retention)It is why there has already been two rounds of server mergers.It is why another round of server mergers is likely in the upcoming future.The amount MMO players across the world, continues to rise. If EQ2 was the greatest MMO on the market, would it not be logical that the population, and general recognition of EQ2 would reflect such? Just apply a little bit of logic.There is undoubtably a portion of the playerbase who continues to play EQ2, because of time already invested, and because of friend/guildie associations. All this counts for naught with the release of EQNext. So while I am certain EQNext will get the wave of players who love checking out any new game (for about 2 months), the challenge SOE will have, is keeping them playing after that.A loot of doomsayers were claiming EQ2 would kill EQ1. I will be very interested to see if EQ1 or EQ2 suffers more from the release of EQNext.

I am with you on this one.

Eq2 F2p was a major failure as many of us knew it would be, the population is lower than ever and almost everyone is paying for everything with Station Cash bought during promotions. That means the income is lower than ever because we no longer pay our 14.99 / month. Yes a few fluff mad people will waste their money on useless things, but most of the rest will not.

Thare are few new players yes, but nothing like the massive influx of people SOE expected. Eq2 is a good game, but it's now in dying mode, because of many reasons we already know. 

Yes some of the vets are still playing, as you say because of the time already invested, friends , guilds etc. It's much more than just another game to many of us.

I wouldn't expect these players to play eqnext though, although obviously I do not speak for everyone. My own point of view is that I will never play another SoE game, I don't have any connection to any other game than EQ2. Kill it and i have no reason to go try something else, mostly because of the experiences I've had with SOE, while playing Eq2. I know the company is not going to change so I am not going to start down the same road again. In my case this has extended to other Sony products as well, because of my bad experiences I am actually refusing to buy any Sony products whatsoever.

DamselInDistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:59 AM   #33
Dinfire

Journeyman
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 21
Default

This is the same conclusion I've come to.  I've had my account since 1999 in EQ1.  Sony Online Entertainment has slowly evolved into a tyrannical, out-of-touch company akin to Wal-mart.  They treat their employees poorly and their customers even worse.

I'm absolutely uninterested in another SOE title.  I'm currently waiting to see what this next expansion involves.  If I don't like the gist of what I see, I'm closing my account down.  It's become pretty bad in the last year.  And an entire year of ignored itemization and mechanics changes has pretty much sealed he deal.

Dinfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:05 AM   #34
Talathion
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Cladire Mortii
Rank: Initiate/Slave

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,780
Default

EQ2 really has not lost that many customers.

Talathion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:45 AM   #35
Gealaen_Gaiamancer

Loremaster
Gealaen_Gaiamancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Unrest
Posts: 157
Default

Gravy wrote:

My hope is that EQNext will be an open world MMO where you can do anything with your one character.

A fantasy themed version of Eve Online if you will.

He...ck yes!

__________________
Fight with honor and triumph!

Gealaen_Gaiamancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:45 PM   #36
Raffir

Loremaster
Raffir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 308
Default

Senara wrote:

Raffir wrote:

 No one has seen much more than a hint of EQNext.  And you're already griping about it and predicting failure when you know, in your heart, that you'll be pounding the doors down to be let in as soon as it rolls out.

EQ2 is still a solid game with more available content than almost any playable MMO in existence right now.  If you guys could find something better, you wouldn't be here still complaining...well, most of you anyway.

Raf

I would pose that a lot of people have found something better. Otherwise...Why the population has gone down, not up?Why "Free to Play" had very little meaningful impact after 3 months? (low retention)Why there has already been two rounds of server mergers?Why another round of server mergers is likely in the upcoming future?The amount MMO players across the world, continues to rise. With it, as does the number of other competitive titles. If EQ2 was the "best" MMO on the market, would it not be logical that the population, and general recognition of EQ2 would reflect such? Just apply some simple logic here.There is undoubtably a portion of the playerbase who continue to play EQ2, because they absolutely love the game. There is also a portion of the playerbase who continue to play, because they have invested years of time prior to today, and simply walkinng away from it all (guilds, friends etc) is not something done lightly. However, EQNext will put guild affiliations and prior invested effort to a null point, meaning any title on the market is up for consideration. It is not a given that every EQ2 player will go racing to EQNext, infact, far from it.So while I am certain EQNext will get the wave of players who love checking out any new game (for about 2 months), the challenge SOE will have, is keeping them playing after that. A lot of doomsayers were claiming EQ2 would kill EQ1, and it did not happen. I am not making any attempt to claim that EQNext will kill EQ2, but I am interested to see how the next installment of EverQuest impacts the populations of the prior two versions.

I suspect a lot of people have found something new to hold their attention for awhile.  But I can almost guarantee you that they are keeping thier accounts here intact while they go try something new.There are a lot of new games out right now.

But, let me ask a hypothetical question then...to all the old EQ2'ers?  In the 7-11 years you've been playing?  You've never left the game for any amount of time to go play anything else?  Honestly?

If there is any loss of players, its my contention that its mostly temporary...and quite probably historically cyclical.  SWTOR, TERA, TSW and the upcoming GW2 (my current new fave beta) are bound to cause some player bleed. And those are only the big genre MMO's out there...not even counting D3 and the like.

All of the aforementioned new games lack the finesse and scope of EQ2 gameplay in terms of variety.  I've played them most of them (haven't tried TSW yet) and I always come back here.  Plus its nice to play something else and come back to EQ2 refreshed and ready to start again.

I'm looking forward to EQNext just like I looked forward to the beta's and eventual rollout of all the others.  All the while playing this game in the meantime.

Raf

Raffir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:54 PM   #37
Goozman

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 693
Default

Meng, I hope it's not "unrestrictive." I was looking forward to Rift until the day they revealed there were no classes.

Take all the races in EQ2, add maybe 2 more, and make about 14 unique classes with unique playstyles. Give them 1/3-1/2 the abilities classes in EQ2 have, but make the abilities they do have a lot more dynamic. Also, giving every class dual roles, based on stances, seems like a cool idea to help get groups going. Like Clerics and Paladins having Tank or Healer stance, Druids and Necromancers having Healer or Raned DPS stances, etc; and their array of abilities would have different effects based on the stance they are in.

Also, skillchains/heroic opportunities should be extremely powerful.

__________________
Goozman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:39 PM   #38
SmokeJumper

DoD
SmokeJumper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,056
Default

Answering the original questions.

EQ Next is still being built within a black box. The *earliest* we are currently considering that we *might* reveal info is late this year. We're being very particular about what needs to be in the game before revealing it to folks, so until that stuff is ready, we won't be showing anything. (Screens you saw from a couple years ago are completely obsolete now and are not pertinent to the current game at all.)

There is no reason for EQ or EQII to ever fade away. EQN is not being designed to replace those games. The only way it could "kill" EQ or EQII is by being such a phenomenally better game that everyone flocks to it. Many miles to go before we sleep.

__________________
Director of Development

EverQuest Franchise (EQ, EQII, EQN)
SmokeJumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:20 PM   #39
convict

Loremaster
convict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 375
Default

SmokeJumper wrote:

Answering the original questions.

EQ Next is still being built within a black box. The *earliest* we are currently considering that we *might* reveal info is late this year. We're being very particular about what needs to be in the game before revealing it to folks, so until that stuff is ready, we won't be showing anything. (Screens you saw from a couple years ago are completely obsolete now and are not pertinent to the current game at all.)

There is no reason for EQ or EQII to ever fade away. EQN is not being designed to replace those games. The only way it could "kill" EQ or EQII is by being such a phenomenally better game that everyone flocks to it. Many miles to go before we sleep.

Typical SoE or SJ comment, "maybe", "might", "can't say", "soon". Since you're online, how bout commenting in the numerous threads about problems the playerbase is having, the pvp update that was going to be sick that was pushed back, merc problems, ( theres a ton of solo players in this MMO, they need mercs working correctly), too much to list, but you see the threads, maybe address some stuff?

__________________
convict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:06 PM   #40
Anestacia

Loremaster
Anestacia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,171
Default

SmokeJumper wrote:

(Screens you saw from a couple years ago are completely obsolete now and are not pertinent to the current game at all.)

/S I G H

I was really hoping it would keep it's stylised look that those screenshots portrayed.  The art style was gorgeous and very unique.  I know it can not be answered and we will all remain patient to its unveiling, but I truly hope this is not another graphic intesive project.  IMO people are sick of the "realistic" feel EVERY game seems to be going for these days.  It doesn't have to be cartoony but I dont want the landscapes to be similar to what I can walk outside my door and see either.  It's a fantasy world after all.  Oh well, we will just have to wait and see, but I have a very bad feeling about this now.

__________________
Anestacia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:11 AM   #41
Celline-Layonaire

Loremaster
Celline-Layonaire's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: UN (Kelethin branch)
Posts: 347
Default

Anestacia wrote:

SmokeJumper wrote:

(Screens you saw from a couple years ago are completely obsolete now and are not pertinent to the current game at all.)

/S I G H

I was really hoping it would keep it's stylised look that those screenshots portrayed.  The art style was gorgeous and very unique.  I know it can not be answered and we will all remain patient to its unveiling, but I truly hope this is not another graphic intesive project.  IMO people are sick of the "realistic" feel EVERY game seems to be going for these days.  It doesn't have to be cartoony but I dont want the landscapes to be similar to what I can walk outside my door and see either.  It's a fantasy world after all.  Oh well, we will just have to wait and see, but I have a very bad feeling about this now.

1) They haven't said even once that they abandoned their 'stylized' art style and graphics. I've seen almost every EQnext related interview, videos, dev twitters like Rothgar's, and various comments but there just wasn't one.

2) Eqnext will be less 'realistic' looking than Planetside2, when it comes to the overall art style.

3) As for the "Screens you saw from a couple years ago are completely obsolete now", It's just that the early shots of EQ3 were based on another engine, not ForgeLight.

Celline-Layonaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:18 AM   #42
Crothos
Server: Antonia Bayle

Loremaster
Crothos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 108
Default

SmokeJumper wrote:

[...]

Thanks, SJ! I'm super excited to see what EQN can do with ForgeLight!

__________________
The EQ Next Ideas Thread http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/posts/list.m?topic_id=399389
Crothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:16 AM   #43
feldon30

Fansite Staff
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,424
Default

Celline-Layonaire wrote:

Anestacia wrote:

SmokeJumper wrote:

(Screens you saw from a couple years ago are completely obsolete now and are not pertinent to the current game at all.)

/S I G H

I was really hoping it would keep it's stylised look that those screenshots portrayed.  The art style was gorgeous and very unique.  I know it can not be answered and we will all remain patient to its unveiling, but I truly hope this is not another graphic intesive project.  IMO people are sick of the "realistic" feel EVERY game seems to be going for these days.  It doesn't have to be cartoony but I dont want the landscapes to be similar to what I can walk outside my door and see either.  It's a fantasy world after all.  Oh well, we will just have to wait and see, but I have a very bad feeling about this now.

1) They haven't said even once that they abandoned their 'stylized' art style and graphics. I've seen almost every EQnext related interview, videos, dev twitters like Rothgar's, and various comments but there just wasn't one.

2) Eqnext will be less 'realistic' looking than Planetside2, when it comes to the overall art style.

3) As for the "Screens you saw from a couple years ago are completely obsolete now", It's just that the early shots of EQ3 were based on another engine, not ForgeLight.

[citation needed]

feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:29 AM   #44
Iad

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 250
Default

SmokeJumper wrote:

Answering the original questions.

EQ Next is still being built within a black box. The *earliest* we are currently considering that we *might* reveal info is late this year. We're being very particular about what needs to be in the game before revealing it to folks, so until that stuff is ready, we won't be showing anything. (Screens you saw from a couple years ago are completely obsolete now and are not pertinent to the current game at all.)

There is no reason for EQ or EQII to ever fade away. EQN is not being designed to replace those games. The only way it could "kill" EQ or EQII is by being such a phenomenally better game that everyone flocks to it. Many miles to go before we sleep.

Come on Fan Faire... We really want to see at least something, even a short teaser would be great at this point.

Iad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:10 PM   #45
Halo of G4

Loremaster
Halo of G4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 283
Default

convict wrote:

SmokeJumper wrote:

Answering the original questions.

EQ Next is still being built within a black box. The *earliest* we are currently considering that we *might* reveal info is late this year. We're being very particular about what needs to be in the game before revealing it to folks, so until that stuff is ready, we won't be showing anything. (Screens you saw from a couple years ago are completely obsolete now and are not pertinent to the current game at all.)

There is no reason for EQ or EQII to ever fade away. EQN is not being designed to replace those games. The only way it could "kill" EQ or EQII is by being such a phenomenally better game that everyone flocks to it. Many miles to go before we sleep.

Typical SoE or SJ comment, "maybe", "might", "can't say", "soon". Since you're online, how bout commenting in the numerous threads about problems the playerbase is having, the pvp update that was going to be sick that was pushed back, merc problems, ( theres a ton of solo players in this MMO, they need mercs working correctly), too much to list, but you see the threads, maybe address some stuff?

Stop acting like a kicking and screaming child. SJ has no involvement in EQ2 anymore, he's now part of the EQNext team, so asking him about EQ2's problems is moot. He's coming on here out of his own free will. To be honest, I don't see the point since you guys won't listen to him anyways.

I would personally like to thank SJ for giving that EQNext information out though. I rather have a response like "might" then no response at all. Videogame development is not a linear and simple progress. There's never a design concept that isn't scrapped from the beginning or at the end. In fact, EQNext might only be going going through its prototype phase right now, not anywhere near to being done.

For those with no knowledge on the process of videogame development, then read this!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_...lopment_process

__________________
LU2012: Valve has bought SoE. EQ2 has been renamed FortressQuest 2 with Freeport and Qeynos respectively becoming Blu and RED base.

Added Raid Zone:

The Goldrush: Dwell into the depths of RED base to defeat the Heavy, a powerful foe that even the Nameless fears.

Halo of G4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:24 PM   #46
Dinfire

Journeyman
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 21
Default

While you find it necessary to pat SJ on the back, many of us hold no such delusions. EQ2 has enormous holes in its mechanics and itemization that have persisted for 8 months along with an entire menagerie of other problems. To address something like this topic is humorous at best. It's a fluff topic that will generate nothing meaningful.
Dinfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:28 PM   #47
convict

Loremaster
convict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 375
Default

Halo of G4 wrote:

convict wrote:

SmokeJumper wrote:

Answering the original questions.

EQ Next is still being built within a black box. The *earliest* we are currently considering that we *might* reveal info is late this year. We're being very particular about what needs to be in the game before revealing it to folks, so until that stuff is ready, we won't be showing anything. (Screens you saw from a couple years ago are completely obsolete now and are not pertinent to the current game at all.)

There is no reason for EQ or EQII to ever fade away. EQN is not being designed to replace those games. The only way it could "kill" EQ or EQII is by being such a phenomenally better game that everyone flocks to it. Many miles to go before we sleep.

Typical SoE or SJ comment, "maybe", "might", "can't say", "soon". Since you're online, how bout commenting in the numerous threads about problems the playerbase is having, the pvp update that was going to be sick that was pushed back, merc problems, ( theres a ton of solo players in this MMO, they need mercs working correctly), too much to list, but you see the threads, maybe address some stuff?

Stop acting like a kicking and screaming child. SJ has no involvement in EQ2 anymore, he's now part of the EQNext team, so asking him about EQ2's problems is moot. He's coming on here out of his own free will. To be honest, I don't see the point since you guys won't listen to him anyways.

I would personally like to thank SJ for giving that EQNext information out though. I rather have a response like "might" then no response at all. Videogame development is not a linear and simple progress. There's never a design concept that isn't scrapped from the beginning or at the end. In fact, EQNext might only be going going through its prototype phase right now, not anywhere near to being done.

For those with no knowledge on the process of videogame development, then read this!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_...lopment_process

Obviously you're going to defend SoE and Smoke, but it's not like I'm the only one with this view. You might like to take whatever they give you, but some people dont, thats how you get better quality products. If you believe smoke has nothing to do with this game anymore because "SoE said so" then theres no help for you at all. Let me guess, you believe everything smoke and Smed say, and gear inflation in it's current state had to be done? The arena and DF/DM were a total success? SS has been a great update making DoV pointless, but it probably needed to be done right?

As for greatful he posted here, why? He didnt tell us anything, mights and maybe is all we ever hear from them. Since you know so much about making games, or you read it on the internet, why dont you help them out and get EQ2 population up some, because last I checked, this game isnt doing so well. It's people like you that have made this game what it is today.

__________________
convict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:34 PM   #48
Dinfire

Journeyman
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 21
Default

Indeed.

Dinfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:35 PM   #49
Halo of G4

Loremaster
Halo of G4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 283
Default

convict wrote:

Halo of G4 wrote:

convict wrote:

SmokeJumper wrote:

Answering the original questions.

EQ Next is still being built within a black box. The *earliest* we are currently considering that we *might* reveal info is late this year. We're being very particular about what needs to be in the game before revealing it to folks, so until that stuff is ready, we won't be showing anything. (Screens you saw from a couple years ago are completely obsolete now and are not pertinent to the current game at all.)

There is no reason for EQ or EQII to ever fade away. EQN is not being designed to replace those games. The only way it could "kill" EQ or EQII is by being such a phenomenally better game that everyone flocks to it. Many miles to go before we sleep.

Typical SoE or SJ comment, "maybe", "might", "can't say", "soon". Since you're online, how bout commenting in the numerous threads about problems the playerbase is having, the pvp update that was going to be sick that was pushed back, merc problems, ( theres a ton of solo players in this MMO, they need mercs working correctly), too much to list, but you see the threads, maybe address some stuff?

Stop acting like a kicking and screaming child. SJ has no involvement in EQ2 anymore, he's now part of the EQNext team, so asking him about EQ2's problems is moot. He's coming on here out of his own free will. To be honest, I don't see the point since you guys won't listen to him anyways.

I would personally like to thank SJ for giving that EQNext information out though. I rather have a response like "might" then no response at all. Videogame development is not a linear and simple progress. There's never a design concept that isn't scrapped from the beginning or at the end. In fact, EQNext might only be going going through its prototype phase right now, not anywhere near to being done.

For those with no knowledge on the process of videogame development, then read this!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_...lopment_process

Obviously you're going to defend SoE and Smoke, but it's not like I'm the only one with this view. You might like to take whatever they give you, but some people dont, thats how you get better quality products. If you believe smoke has nothing to do with this game anymore because "SoE said so" then theres no help for you at all. Let me guess, you believe everything smoke and Smed say, and gear inflation in it's current state had to be done? The arena and DF/DM were a total success? SS has been a great update making DoV pointless, but it probably needed to be done right?

As for greatful he posted here, why? He didnt tell us anything, mights and maybe is all we ever hear from them. Since you know so much about making games, or you read it on the internet, why dont you help them out and get EQ2 population up some, because last I checked, this game isnt doing so well. It's people like you that have made this game what it is today.

Obviously I am? I've gone after SoE plenty of times, however Im looking at the whole typical development process of a videogame. Not on the subject of EQ2. You want me to go into a rant of what SoE has done wrong? Because I can easily do that. I can go back as far as Shadows of Luclin, Gates of Discord, the lies about the froglok update in 05, the CU/NGE for SWG, the completely generic art of classic EQ2, the terrible engine design for EQ2 including the lack of foresight for Multicore CPU's, DoF quick death at the hands of a new level tier in 06, EQ2's inflation of plat and concentration of SC, more concentration on housing rather then core gameplay content, adding challenge mode only zones that messed up the gear progression, the destruction of EQ2 PVP with the various revamps added,  Masters being useless due to research reducers combined with SC sales. And so on.

Get the tin foil hat off your head. I'm not that bad. I mean, I helped the Bush admistration create a hurricane machine for Katrina, and also helped Obama fake Osama Bin Ladens death by using a mythical yeti captured by my grand advisers: the illuminati. But other then that I'm not such a bad guy.

Also I never stated that DM/DF, Arena were successes. Infact, they were all useless gimmicks that had no benefit to the overall game.  So please, don't accuse me of stuff I never stated. Oh wait, you're a kicking and screaming child so making stuff up is as good as you get on the subject.

On an off topic statement in terms of the development process of a videogame: Let me ask you, how many things do we know about Half Life 2: Episode 3 from Valve? Literally nothing, only an outdated concept art and previous assumption from 2005 that all three episodes would come out by late 07. The theory is that is was probably  scrapped to make way for Half Life 3 on a newly created engine to replace Source due to being an outdated flawed engine that still has Quake engine coding in it. Most development builds are scapped. Team Fortress 2 was in development for 9 years, it had 5 different builds created for it. All of them completely scrapped except for the last which it used to showcase at E3 in 2006. That's the typical process of videogame development.

On the subject of EQNext, it has been announced, and they showed off concept art back in 2010 which is now outdated. They don't have a build to show off yet. EQNext is still in its early development stages it sounds like, so I have absolutely no idea of what they're going to do with it. My approval of SJ is that atleast we now know that it's still in its early stages. That's all. One thing I can tell though, is that if it's using the ForgeLight engine, then I can guarantee it isn't going to be some stupid facebook slop. I'm quite impressed of the ForgeLight engine, it brings new fresh air into the PC gaming industry that's been stagnating since 07.

__________________
LU2012: Valve has bought SoE. EQ2 has been renamed FortressQuest 2 with Freeport and Qeynos respectively becoming Blu and RED base.

Added Raid Zone:

The Goldrush: Dwell into the depths of RED base to defeat the Heavy, a powerful foe that even the Nameless fears.

Halo of G4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:36 PM   #50
Piestro

Community Relations
Piestro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 481
Default

AnNiTA wrote:

so..ive been playin the game sence launch..day 1..and truly loved it..this commin from a huge FPS player(and i swore to my old roomate that ide never play a game with faries and dwarfs...low and behold i was hooked..)then came pvp and a great game got even better, and now we have what we have now. dont get me wrong i love the core game still jus makes me sad to see the state of neglect we have gone thru and are currently dealing with, goin on Years of no support...SO my main question is Why the Heck would any of us Go and play eqnext with the current treatment to the playerbase and the complete lack of support.. i cant even begin to tell you how many huge bugs that are still in the game, and we dont even need to talk about items we all know thats jus so far messed up i dont think they will ever get it fixed. so History repets itself and im sure eqnext will follow the soe business plan...do people really want to build there toons up for 7-8 years jus to have them left to die with the dwindling pops..plz give us some sort of hope

When EQ2 came out, many EQ players had the same concerns and questions. Will there still be development on EQ? Will SOE just ignore EQ to focus on the new shiny? SOE is obviously going to focus all its attention on EQ2 and force EQ players to transfer over!

Clearly it hasn't worked out that way. EQ2 is different from EQ and will be different from EQNext. Just because another sibling is coming to the family doesn't mean anything will change for EQ2. The team is still incredibly focused and dedicated to EQ2, and I expect it to be around and continue development for many years to come.

__________________
-Piestro

EverQuest Community Relations Manager

Piestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:56 PM   #51
Halo of G4

Loremaster
Halo of G4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 283
Default

Piestro wrote:

AnNiTA wrote:

so..ive been playin the game sence launch..day 1..and truly loved it..this commin from a huge FPS player(and i swore to my old roomate that ide never play a game with faries and dwarfs...low and behold i was hooked..)then came pvp and a great game got even better, and now we have what we have now. dont get me wrong i love the core game still jus makes me sad to see the state of neglect we have gone thru and are currently dealing with, goin on Years of no support...SO my main question is Why the Heck would any of us Go and play eqnext with the current treatment to the playerbase and the complete lack of support.. i cant even begin to tell you how many huge bugs that are still in the game, and we dont even need to talk about items we all know thats jus so far messed up i dont think they will ever get it fixed. so History repets itself and im sure eqnext will follow the soe business plan...do people really want to build there toons up for 7-8 years jus to have them left to die with the dwindling pops..plz give us some sort of hope

When EQ2 came out, many EQ players had the same concerns and questions. Will there still be development on EQ? Will SOE just ignore EQ to focus on the new shiny? SOE is obviously going to focus all its attention on EQ2 and force EQ players to transfer over!

Clearly it hasn't worked out that way. EQ2 is different from EQ and will be different from EQNext. Just because another sibling is coming to the family doesn't mean anything will change for EQ2. The team is still incredibly focused and dedicated to EQ2, and I expect it to be around and continue development for many years to come.

There's a difference though. SoE was hiring new developers at the time, ones to replace the old EQ1 developers that transferred at the time over to EQ2. That's not how it sounds now, its infact different. From what I gather, based off of various different articles and testaments, EQ2's development team is now smaller and that's probably the same for EQ1's development staff. Most have transferred over to the development of EQNext.

And this could probably be entire reorganization of what the companies focusing on. After all, Agency was cancelled with many development staff laid off or redirected to the development of PS2, various mmo's have had their life support cut off (vanguard is probably next). So right now it's up in the air in terms of what is going on.

__________________
LU2012: Valve has bought SoE. EQ2 has been renamed FortressQuest 2 with Freeport and Qeynos respectively becoming Blu and RED base.

Added Raid Zone:

The Goldrush: Dwell into the depths of RED base to defeat the Heavy, a powerful foe that even the Nameless fears.

Halo of G4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:14 PM   #52
Senara

Defender
Senara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 23
Default

Halo of G4 wrote:

 SJ has no involvement in EQ2 anymore, he's now part of the EQNext team, so asking him about EQ2's problems is moot. He's coming on here out of his own free will. To be honest, I don't see the point since you guys won't listen to him anyways.

You may want to check the validity of your statement.My understanding is that SmokeJumper is in charge of the entire EverQuest franchise, including EQ1, EQ2 and EQNext. I was of the belief that SmokeJumper is Holly's boss.Maybe I was mistaken?

Senara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:21 PM   #53
Halo of G4

Loremaster
Halo of G4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 283
Default

Senara wrote:

Halo of G4 wrote:

 SJ has no involvement in EQ2 anymore, he's now part of the EQNext team, so asking him about EQ2's problems is moot. He's coming on here out of his own free will. To be honest, I don't see the point since you guys won't listen to him anyways.

You may want to check the validity of your statement.My understanding is that SmokeJumper is in charge of the entire EverQuest franchise, including EQ1, EQ2 and EQNext. I was of the belief that SmokeJumper is Holly's boss.Maybe I was mistaken?

Is he? I have no clue to be honest, because if I recall from the community announcement that he transferred over to the development of EQNext. I seen him in recent podcasts, but my guess was that it was to help Holly out because she's in a position where she has no idea on what to do.

__________________
LU2012: Valve has bought SoE. EQ2 has been renamed FortressQuest 2 with Freeport and Qeynos respectively becoming Blu and RED base.

Added Raid Zone:

The Goldrush: Dwell into the depths of RED base to defeat the Heavy, a powerful foe that even the Nameless fears.

Halo of G4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 02:20 PM   #54
Iad

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 250
Default

Senara wrote:

Halo of G4 wrote:

 SJ has no involvement in EQ2 anymore, he's now part of the EQNext team, so asking him about EQ2's problems is moot. He's coming on here out of his own free will. To be honest, I don't see the point since you guys won't listen to him anyways.

You may want to check the validity of your statement.My understanding is that SmokeJumper is in charge of the entire EverQuest franchise, including EQ1, EQ2 and EQNext. I was of the belief that SmokeJumper is Holly's boss.Maybe I was mistaken?

You are correct.

Iad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 02:59 PM   #55
d1anaw

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,139
Default

shots01 wrote:

Out of curiosity, what role playing aspect? You mean with other people?  I have never roleplayed.

I play alone for the most part.  I don't find it cold.  Lonely maybe, but not cold.  I managed to get my monk to 90 mostly by my self.  I had a few levels of help from a friend or 2.  But I am back to being on my own again for the hunt for 280 AAs LOL.  I have 219 and a half. 

I mostly play alone myself or with my husband. Ocassionally we will group with guild members when they are around, but our guild is pretty mature and most of us have lives outside the game. ::::gasp::: So our time together is very limited and I personally don't mind it. I'd rather it be that than deal with the egos of some of what tends to populate these types of games. There are some things that I prefer to do with hubby and the ocassional thing we cannot do with just the two of us, but it's better to be with those we know well than to deal with the arrogance of others, who believe they know better than us how to play our characters and think we need to be informed of such.

d1anaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:02 PM   #56
d1anaw

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,139
Default

Gilasil wrote:

Sometimes I wonder if I'm playing the same game that many others on this board say they're playing.  And if I am, why they're still playing it if they hate it as much as they say they do.

I've wondered this for some time. Some just like to complain for the sake of complaining and even if they got everything they wanted and asked for, they still wouldn't be happy. They'd still be complaining. I also wonder why if people think it is so bad and want to quit, or so bad they don't want to go to another version, then just quit or don't go. Why the need to get a following to do so?

d1anaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:30 PM   #57
Gilasil

Loremaster
Gilasil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 907
Default

SmokeJumper wrote:

Answering the original questions.

EQ Next is still being built within a black box. The *earliest* we are currently considering that we *might* reveal info is late this year.

I'll be looking forward to hearing more.

We're being very particular about what needs to be in the game before revealing it to folks, so until that stuff is ready, we won't be showing anything. (Screens you saw from a couple years ago are completely obsolete now and are not pertinent to the current game at all.)

Whew!!!  Boy am I glad to hear that.  I simply cannot stand a cartoony looking game and I love realistic graphics.  That's why my stay at WoW was VERY short lived and part of the reason why I just keep coming back to EQ2.  I know that it doesn't mean the graphics are realistic, but I can still hold out hope.

There is no reason for EQ or EQII to ever fade away.

Good to hear although EQ would be more relevant to me if it had a major graphics upgrade.  Waaaay obsolete for me nowadays.  Although most likely I'd be sticking with EQ2 over EQ anyway.

Gilasil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:34 PM   #58
Dinfire

Journeyman
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 21
Default

You're joking right?  This game has bled thousands of accounts for quite awhile.  If you think that multiple server merges plus completely dead primetimes on some servers is an indicator that people who complain haven't just left, then you're optimistically naive.

I'm literally only still here because this train wreck is 100% free for me.  Platinum into SC into years worth of sub made it such that I was willing to still come and watch in mock astonishment as each new blunder is pumped out by SOE.

I'm waiting to see how wonderfully delicious the SOEmote end results will be.  I guarantee at a 100% chance it will just be abandoned like every one of these other "awesome" features we have in game.

Dinfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:51 PM   #59
Onorem

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,155
Default

Halo of G4 wrote:

Stop acting like a kicking and screaming child. SJ has no involvement in EQ2 anymore, he's now part of the EQNext team, so asking him about EQ2's problems is moot. He's coming on here out of his own free will. To be honest, I don't see the point since you guys won't listen to him anyways.

SJ is in charge of the entire everquest franchise now. Clearly his attention will be mostly focused on eqnext at this point (or maybe franchise wide cashshop issues), but he should have involvement here as well.

Piestro wrote:

When EQ2 came out, many EQ players had the same concerns and questions. Will there still be development on EQ? Will SOE just ignore EQ to focus on the new shiny? SOE is obviously going to focus all its attention on EQ2 and force EQ players to transfer over!

Clearly it hasn't worked out that way. EQ2 is different from EQ and will be different from EQNext. Just because another sibling is coming to the family doesn't mean anything will change for EQ2. The team is still incredibly focused and dedicated to EQ2, and I expect it to be around and continue development for many years to come.

It already has changed for eq2. Maybe it'll get better again after eqnext is released, but I'd be surprised.  They have taken resources from this game to the new shiny already. I just haven't seen them replaced at the same rate. (and the new people coming in get to learn the frankenstein code yet again and then add a new patch of the type of skin they like to use)

__________________
_________________________________
"EQ2 is not a "free to play" game, so microtransactions are unlikely to ever have the "front seat" role that they have in F2P games" - SmokeJumper - 4/20/2010
Onorem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:14 PM   #60
Piestro

Community Relations
Piestro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 481
Default

Halo of G4 wrote:

Piestro wrote:

AnNiTA wrote:

so..ive been playin the game sence launch..day 1..and truly loved it..this commin from a huge FPS player(and i swore to my old roomate that ide never play a game with faries and dwarfs...low and behold i was hooked..)then came pvp and a great game got even better, and now we have what we have now. dont get me wrong i love the core game still jus makes me sad to see the state of neglect we have gone thru and are currently dealing with, goin on Years of no support...SO my main question is Why the Heck would any of us Go and play eqnext with the current treatment to the playerbase and the complete lack of support.. i cant even begin to tell you how many huge bugs that are still in the game, and we dont even need to talk about items we all know thats jus so far messed up i dont think they will ever get it fixed. so History repets itself and im sure eqnext will follow the soe business plan...do people really want to build there toons up for 7-8 years jus to have them left to die with the dwindling pops..plz give us some sort of hope

When EQ2 came out, many EQ players had the same concerns and questions. Will there still be development on EQ? Will SOE just ignore EQ to focus on the new shiny? SOE is obviously going to focus all its attention on EQ2 and force EQ players to transfer over!

Clearly it hasn't worked out that way. EQ2 is different from EQ and will be different from EQNext. Just because another sibling is coming to the family doesn't mean anything will change for EQ2. The team is still incredibly focused and dedicated to EQ2, and I expect it to be around and continue development for many years to come.

There's a difference though. SoE was hiring new developers at the time, ones to replace the old EQ1 developers that transferred at the time over to EQ2. That's not how it sounds now, its infact different. From what I gather, based off of various different articles and testaments, EQ2's development team is now smaller and that's probably the same for EQ1's development staff. Most have transferred over to the development of EQNext.

And this could probably be entire reorganization of what the companies focusing on. After all, Agency was cancelled with many development staff laid off or redirected to the development of PS2, various mmo's have had their life support cut off (vanguard is probably next). So right now it's up in the air in terms of what is going on.

Vanguard is ramping up in development at the moment and is preparing to launch a Free to Play transition. New people do get hired on to the EQ2 team, however that is sometimes less transparent than perhaps we would like. EQ2 development (and EQ development for that matter) is not going away.

__________________
-Piestro

EverQuest Community Relations Manager

Piestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:15 PM.

vBulletin skin by: CompleteGFX.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All threads and posts originally from the EQ2 and Station forums operated by Sony Online Entertainment. Their use is by express written permission.