EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-01-2012, 02:36 PM   #31
Ahlana

Loremaster

Khayos wrote:

This is bigger than any of you realize. It is a new mmo feature, world first and it expands interactivity within the game.

Ok so it is new.. I would hold off patting them on the back.

They can't even do things that are not new very well. Dungeon Finder? Worse than any other MMO that offers it and is completely unused.

Player Made content integrated poorly and heavily under-used. Other games do it much better.

So I will not hold my breathe that this will work right or even be used. I would've prefered something with a bit more substance but /shrug I actually expected less than this so lol

Old 06-01-2012, 02:39 PM   #32
SpineDoc

Loremaster

Sigh, another FLUFF feature.  It is kind of cool and it's not that I wouldn't enjoy it, it's just that these devs have such a marked history of dropping the ball on EVERY single feature they have implemented.  They trumpet it as the next great thing, market the heck out of it, then it gets implemented badly with bugs and issues and they kind of drop it and forget about it completely. 

Besides the lack of attention to the "real" game, instead of focusing on the game experience they add these fluff items around the game.  I understand the MMO popluations are fast changing to farmville type of players, but I wish they would just buckle down the core game first.  Sigh, I suppose players who actually kill stuff in this game are getting fewer and fewer.

92 Templar (retired until they are fixed)

92 Coercer

92 Guardian

92 Wizard

92 Beastlord
SpineDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:39 PM   #33
Morrias
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Dynasty Reborn

Loremaster

Khayos wrote:

Now what I dont understand is that this is a pretty huge announcement from a technology stand point. I dont see what they could possibly be announcing at E3 on the 5th now. I mean this is gonna be all over the web at every news site for games in less than 48 hours. So then what will be so big at E3? A rehash of this info will not be E3 worthy.

That's exactly it, this isn't E3 worthy, it's 5+ year old technology that they copied and replicated. The original technology never caught on for a reason.

Morrias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:39 PM   #34
Kenazeer

Loremaster

This is really gonna bring in the new subs and keep the ones they have I think.

Old 06-01-2012, 02:40 PM   #35
msgnomer

Loremaster

Piestro wrote:

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

Okay, now I DO have a serious question about this feature.

When you mod a voice, will that only be heard in voice chat? OR will it be in the game world, like a NPC voice? Because you want to bring the roleplay, back into roleplay games, and roleplayers don't hang out in VC...it's all done in emotes, and typing.

Only in VC. This gives role players more of an option to use VC. 

I'm a casual RP'er and not part of the established community, but speaking for myself that is exactly why I've never used VC within the game.  It always felt like such an immersion breaking experience.

I applaud integrating something like this into the game.  It looks very cool!!!  I mean very very cool!

Hall of Fame: Help Feed the Dragons! (No, you won't be the food!)

Look for Poet's Dungeon: The Mad Poet's Release returning soon.

----------

Aluriel's chronicle of a scavanger hunt through 50 player decorated homes and guildhalls:.... http://photobucket.com/AlurielsAdventure

msgnomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:42 PM   #36
Pengefinchess

Loremaster

a shiny animated face is going to pop up soon here and lock this thread as theres 2 going at the same time!

On a serious (not) note, will we have to shine our faces and tightly tie our hair back for this to work? cos my skin is not in great shape and i have a beard SMILEY

Old 06-01-2012, 02:42 PM   #37
msgnomer

Loremaster

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

This is one of the best features i've ever seen added to any game, it will greatly enhance my gameplay and roleplay experience, and even group experience.

I seriously can't wait for everyone to hear the voice and face of Talathion!

I agree it's an appealing idea.  I wonder if the servers will need a boost to make this work.  The last several I've noticed distinct chat lags on AB.  If this feature lags it could be a mess.  If it work well, it could definitely be fun.

Hall of Fame: Help Feed the Dragons! (No, you won't be the food!)

Look for Poet's Dungeon: The Mad Poet's Release returning soon.

----------

Aluriel's chronicle of a scavanger hunt through 50 player decorated homes and guildhalls:.... http://photobucket.com/AlurielsAdventure

msgnomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:48 PM   #38
SOE-MOD-02

Community Moderator

I have merged the two threads in order to avoid confusion and to consolidate the feedback.  Keep the posts constructive please SMILEY

Old 06-01-2012, 02:56 PM   #39
Dethdlr
Server: Butcherblock
Guild: Advent of Valor

Fansite Staff

Piestro wrote:

Only in VC. This gives role players more of an option to use VC. 

True, but does it give VC users an option to avoid role players? 

Can you set options on a channel like this:

• SOEmote Not Allowed
  • SOEmote Allowed
  • SOEmote Required

Now THAT would give people options to play their way.  SMILEY

EQ2U Lead Programmer |Dethdlr's Adornment Calculator | EQ2Wire.com Columnist

Dethdlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:58 PM   #40
Gilasil

Loremaster

[email protected]_old wrote:

*Please do not quote forum violations*

Don't get all bent out of shape.

I really doubt they spent a lot of developer time on this.  They even mention they're working with another company which apparently developed the technology.  Almost certainly the only thing SoE did was hook it up to EQ2 and negotiate the rights to distribute it integrated into their game.

The people who do itemization and raid progression would not be the same people who would hook this up.  Unless that requires programming, which I really hope is not the case.  Their development staff is probably smaller then it used to be, but it's more then one person.

I think this is a cool technology and it'll be used by roleplayers for sure.  (Anyone here know what the RPG stands for in MMORPG?). 

I suspect the ability to modify your voice will be used a lot more.  For example by women who don't want people to know they're female but still want to use voice chat (there's actually a lot like that).  I'll probably use it myself, not because I want to hide my gender, but because I think it would add immersion, which is sadly lacking nowadays. 

I have two computers I game on.  One has a webcam and one doesn't.  Webcams are cheap and easy to install nowadays.  Most people who want to use it can get one.

Obviously developers will do what they think is best.  They'd be insane to think that the typical post on this board represents most of the people playing the game.

Gilasil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:13 PM   #41
Tigerlord001

Loremaster

Very awesome feature! Can't wait to see it in action in-game.

Thank you SOE!

[Edited for being non-constructive.]

Tigerlord001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:15 PM   #42
Calthine

ZAM EQII

Here's my question, as my others have already been asked:

If we can now control how someone sees our faces, can we also control what character model (SOGA/Original) people see us as?

Please visit my non-gaming Blog! or follow me on Twitter!

Calthine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:17 PM   #43
Ahlana

Loremaster

Did the merging of the topics break something? There seems to be alot of posts missing since the merge... and the flow is all whacky.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:17 PM   #44
Crothos

Loremaster

Nice!

Old 06-01-2012, 03:19 PM   #45
miketime

Lord

Maybe we will be able to smile the raid mobs to death...

miketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:21 PM   #46
SOE-MOD-02

Community Moderator

Please remember that the forum guidelines are in place on these forums.  Posts should be constructive and respectful.  Thank you!

Old 06-01-2012, 03:21 PM   #47
Onorem

Loremaster

Tigerlord001 wrote:

Very awesome feature! Can't wait to see it in action in-game. The more SOE takes this game away from a focus on raiding, the better it will be, imo. If the hardcore raiders don't like it, well I suppose it's time to move on or go back to EQ1 where they still cater to that outdated, archaic playstyle. MMORPG's should be more about experiencing a living, breathing world than chasing after another pointless .5% boost to a pointless stat anyway. 

Thank you SOE!

Why does it have to be an Us vs. Them situation all the time. You're happy because this makes raiders unhappy? That's a useful attitude.

When I solo, I don't see my face or anyone else's. When I group, I don't see my face or anyone else's. When I raid, I don't see my face or anyone else's. For me, there is nothing 'awesome' about this "feature."

I do hope you enjoy this. I won't insult your style of play to bolster my comment.

Old 06-01-2012, 03:22 PM   #48
Divagator

Loremaster

So... can we say that THIS was those BIG NEWS?

I would like a confirmation by red-guys SMILEY

I really expected some kind of engine remodelation or shader 3.0 or something more appealing to the masses.

Divagator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:23 PM   #49
Tampa_Gamer

Loremaster

Sony needs to request that Verent and Sigil come in and help them out,  The creative design concept misses the bar entirely here lately.

It is really disheartening to watch this all go down the drain.   I havent seen a good idea come out since /pizza  and that was some how messed up as well.

Tampa_Gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:45 PM   #50
Tigerlord001

Loremaster

Onorem wrote:

Tigerlord001 wrote:

Very awesome feature! Can't wait to see it in action in-game. The more SOE takes this game away from a focus on raiding, the better it will be, imo. If the hardcore raiders don't like it, well I suppose it's time to move on or go back to EQ1 where they still cater to that outdated, archaic playstyle. MMORPG's should be more about experiencing a living, breathing world than chasing after another pointless .5% boost to a pointless stat anyway. 

Thank you SOE!

Why does it have to be an Us vs. Them situation all the time. You're happy because this makes raiders unhappy? That's a useful attitude.

When I solo, I don't see my face or anyone else's. When I group, I don't see my face or anyone else's. When I raid, I don't see my face or anyone else's. For me, there is nothing 'awesome' about this "feature."

I do hope you enjoy this. I won't insult your style of play to bolster my comment.

Actually, I do raid to an extent, but not because I enjoy it. I do it because of places like Drunder where if you don't raid at least a little, you can forget ever getting a worthwhile group that can accomplish anything. Hardcore raiders are always quick to dismiss and trash anything added to the game that doesn't boost their incessant grind to the top of Mount Vanity where their egos can shine for the masses. The squeaky wheel has been oiled for far too long in Norrath, and it's time the other wheels got some attention.

Old 06-01-2012, 03:46 PM   #51
Cyliena
Server: Everfrost
Guild: Crusaders of Neriak

Fansite Staff

Tampa_Gamer wrote:

Sony needs to request that Verent and Sigil come in and help them out,  The creative design concept misses the bar entirely here lately.

Err.. Verant Interactive was one of SOE's early names (along with 989 Studios, etc). Sigil was absorbed by SOE/self-destructed or some such.

Cyliena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:46 PM   #52
Crothos

Loremaster

Tampa_Gamer wrote:

It is really disheartening to watch this all go down the drain.   I havent seen a good idea come out since /pizza  and that was some how messed up as well.

Verant is Sony and Sigil is dead. Think about how exciting this feature will be in EQ Next, especially if you can talk to NPCs (simple things like "Yes", "No", etc.) and see simple reactions from engaged-NPCs to your facial movements. An idea. (Edit: I am not a role-player, but this is an impressive feature!)

Old 06-01-2012, 03:48 PM   #53
Avirodar
Server: Oasis
Guild: Tyranny

Loremaster

Divagator wrote:

So... can we say that THIS was those BIG NEWS?

I would like a confirmation by red-guys

I really expected some kind of engine remodelation or shader 3.0 or something more appealing to the masses.

I was also hoping the news would entail a graphics engine update. But deep down, I knew the "big news" would be something I do not care for. It would appear my gut feeling was right on the money.The primary target of this feature, is RolePlayers, who actively use VoiceChat, who have a webcam sitting on their monitor, and are eager to use all features at the same time.This is great if you are a RPer who loves getting in VC to do your RP sessins with friends, and have a WebCam ready to roll. But, I am having difficulty comprehending how, once the novelty value wears off, this feature will be actively used by the huge majority of EQ2 users. Unless I am wrong (which is rare!), the target audience of this feature is so small, I would not rate it as worthy of being considered news worthy.But, to all the RPers who love VC and have a webcam ready to roll, have fun.

Old 06-01-2012, 03:54 PM   #54
Tigerlord001

Loremaster

I don't see this as aimed directly at RPers or any specific group. Instead, this is about making the world feel more immersive by having people going about their business the same as they always would, but instead now when that big ogre talks, he might not sound like a 16yr old kid, or the little fae won't sound like a pot-bellied biker, and maybe the high elf lady won't sound like Dan next door. Add to that the fact that the faces will animate along with it, and you get a much better feeling of talking to that character and not some other person behind a computer.

It's about immersion, and that's something that can be appreciated by any playstyle if the player will give it a chance.

Old 06-01-2012, 04:01 PM   #55
Onorem

Loremaster

Tigerlord001 wrote:

Onorem wrote:

Tigerlord001 wrote:

Thank you SOE!

Actually, I do raid to an extent, but not because I enjoy it. I do it because of places like Drunder where if you don't raid at least a little, you can forget ever getting a worthwhile group that can accomplish anything. Hardcore raiders are always quick to dismiss and trash anything added to the game that doesn't boost their incessant grind to the top of Mount Vanity where their egos can shine for the masses. The squeaky wheel has been oiled for far too long in Norrath, and it's time the other wheels got some attention.

I'm not a hardcore raider...so I'm not sure why you quoted my response to make yet another Us vs. Them argument.

Old 06-01-2012, 04:05 PM   #56
Tigerlord001

Loremaster

Because you responded to me, so I was responding to that post, not accusing you of being a raider or anything. Just stating my case.

Old 06-01-2012, 04:06 PM   #57
Avirodar
Server: Oasis
Guild: Tyranny

Loremaster

Tigerlord001 wrote:

I don't see this as aimed directly at RPers or any specific group. Instead, this is about making the world feel more immersive by having people going about their buisness the same as they always would, but instead now when that big ogre talks, he might not sound like a 16yr old kid, or the little fae won't sound like a pot-bellied biker, and maybe the high elf lady won't sound like Dan next door. Add to that the fact that the faces will animate along with it, and you get a much better feeling of talking to that character and not some other person behind a computer.

It's about immersion, and that's something that can be appreciated by any playstyle if the player will give it a chance.

It is aimed at RPers. Go watch the video. It makes no secret about it.Not everyone has a PC like mine, capable of running EQ2 with the graphics ramped up high. To a lot of these people, the feature is useless, if not also a source of extra lag.In addition, the feature is useless for solo play, and for all forms of non-RP based adventure play (from duo, to groups, to raids). When I am adventuring, I zoom the camera back a considerable distance, making sure the camera angle allows me a good field of view to observe the surroundings. I am NOT zoomed right in so I can see if some random scrub is pulling faces like a 4 year old child. It is not optimal (actually, it is detrimental) to be zoomed in close while adventuring. You miss too much.Imagine running up to the broker, and the pot-bellied biker (high elf female) is busy stuffing his face, and forgot (or does not care) that his SOEmote is running. Chew, chew, buuuuurp! Chew, Chew, swallow. Chew chew buuuuuurp!  That is -EXACTLY- what I never want to see.

Old 06-01-2012, 04:09 PM   #58
Crothos

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

I am not looking forward to running up to the broker, and the pot-bellied biker (high elf female) is busy stuffing his face, and forgot (or does not care) that his SOEmote is running.

That is hilarious.

Old 06-01-2012, 04:11 PM   #59
Onorem

Loremaster

Tigerlord001 wrote:

Because you responded to me, so I was responding to that post, not accusing you of being a raider or anything. Just stating my case.

Yes. I responded to you. Your comments are helping to make this a raider vs. others discussion when it doesn't help anything by doing so.

"Hardcore raiders are always quick to dismiss and trash anything added to the game that doesn't boost their incessant grind to the top of Mount Vanity where their egos can shine for the masses."

That's useful discussion. I'm looking forward to seeing the response that details what Hardcore RPers are quick to do...

Old 06-01-2012, 04:13 PM   #60
Tigerlord001

Loremaster

When it comes down to it, not every feature added to the game is going to appeal to every player, no matter what it is. Solo instances aren't going to appeal to raiders, raid content won't appeal to solo and small groupers, etc. The trick is adding something that most people will like, and beyond that, I'm sure SOE has their own reasons. They're likely using EQ2 as a testing ground for creative tech that they'll have in EQNext at launch, and that can only be a good thing.