EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-01-2012, 03:56 PM   #31
Onorem

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

I don't particularly want to brag about this topic.  I know I've impacted things in the game, most particularly the number of exploits / hacks / dupes / etc  That I've discovered and turned over to the dev team over the years.

But I did want to say the fact that SoE maintains their own forums and listens to player feedback there is something that really seperates them from most other MMO's out there.  (Even if they're largely ignoring it the past few months).

There have been hundreds if not thousands of changes to the game that instigated from discussions here on these forums.

I am 100% not trying to be a troll here. Are you actually giving them credit for how they run the forums? My experience is that negative posts are removed and facebook and twitter see updates hours before they appear here (if they bother posting them here)

Old 06-01-2012, 04:33 PM   #32
Soldancer

Loremaster

I have invented the super-jump ... at least i think I was it.

In the first days I kept the secret and had a nice advantage while soloing in Mistmore Castle and other EoF instances. But then I couldn't withstand to pose with it and a few days later all other knew the trick.

Soldancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:55 PM   #33
Yimway

Loremaster

Onorem wrote:

I am 100% not trying to be a troll here. Are you actually giving them credit for how they run the forums? My experience is that negative posts are removed and facebook and twitter see updates hours before they appear here (if they bother posting them here)

In the past they've run them fairly well.

I'll agree the last 4-6 months, I'm not even sure why they leave them on (outside of the testing area).  Mods are way out of control, and in general the 'SOE' representatives active here have little understanding of the game.

However, if you review the efforts in the testing forums for the last release, you'll find pro-active communication and players to developer feedback actually working.

Old 06-01-2012, 05:05 PM   #34
Meirril

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Meirril wrote:

agnott wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

There have been hundreds if not thousands of changes to the game that instigated from discussions here on these forums.

Yes. The forums were a great bridge for the communication between developer & the playerbase.

But yet when it came to some of the most impactful changes this game had ever seen , you woke up one morning and those changes we already made.  

At thier discretion, SOE will set that bridge aflame and have it cruble into the river.

On the forums you can make arguments, and present feedback. Without the forums most devs wouldn't understand that this "fanatstic new direction" they have taken the game in has driven the player base away from the game. Watching a thread complaining about something and a day later its 10 pages means something.

What have I done around here? The main thing I can take credit and blame for is the crafting instances. Well, not really. I campagined for group crafting content. I presented ideas. I think it still needs work and to get rid of the notion that one crafter should be able to solo group crafting content. Honestly, I think that and the need to weaken the rewards because it can be soloed is one of the reasons it never took off.

But it never would of been tried if I didn't spend 2 years making a case and argument in favor of it.

I also might be responsable for the shard system that was introduced with TSO. I did some compairson with the EQ1 dungeons expansion pre-RoK and about a year later TSO hit. Not really my favorite system but it gives a baseline. Too bad that it never really was just a baseline to build from. Usually by the time you could get a full set of gear, you had better. It did take care of holes in itemization that previous expansions always suffered from so it was useful.

No 1 person can take credit in a mech change, a bug being fixed is way different, but I do agree this game is sugar coated candy easy now, anyone who played eq1 would understand. This game went from scrapping to craft, to just going to get fuels and making it, enjoying the content around you to just power leveling threw it, grouping with everyone to playing only with a select few. You can buy your way threw the game 100 times easier than ever. Oh well, maybe eqnext will be more exciting.

No seriously, when it came to the crafting instances I was the one that convinced Domino to give it a try. She talked to me about it, asked about rewards (which was outside of my focus) and tried to give me and a few prominate people in the crafting community a sneak peak at what she was working on when she found that she couldn't due to technical limitation.

The shard thing? That's speculation on my part.

Meirril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:22 AM   #35
Gneaux
Server: Nagafen
Guild: The Coalition of Tradesfolke

Loremaster

I suggested putting the crafting stations in Maj'Dul waayyy back in the day before there was anywhere to craft there.

I also suggested that the Far Seas writs for mission give guild status.

Gneaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 02:07 PM   #36
LordPazuzu

Loremaster

A friend and I were responsible for the first "play nice" rules in EQ1.

LordPazuzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 03:37 PM   #37
Avirodar
Server: Oasis
Guild: Tyranny

Loremaster

Soldancer wrote:

I have invented the super-jump ... at least i think I was it.

In the first days I kept the secret and had a nice advantage while soloing in Mistmore Castle and other EoF instances. But then I couldn't withstand to pose with it and a few days later all other knew the trick.

What is super jump, to you?The ability to jump high existed, and was actively being used, waaaaaaay before EoF. People window clickjumped to get over the gate, at the bridge in Thundering Steppes, back when the original release content was still relevant. Before EoF, there was KoS, DoF, then original release. People were doing it in original release... Years before EoF.Or, if you're talking about bunny hopping when taking a big fall, once again, old news, people were doing that from launch, before any expansions were released. I encountered that one by accident, and am entirely confident others knew of it, long before me.Given such, I am not sure you can claim credit for that one.

Old 06-02-2012, 06:02 PM   #38
Soldancer

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

What is super jump, to you?

It was the combination of two boots (gnomish spring boots an some other spring boots from an EoF collection) which let you jump crazy high and far. But it was fixed some weeks later.

Soldancer is offline   Reply With Quote