EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-20-2012, 06:29 PM   #61
Starbuck1771

Loremaster

Trevalon wrote:

The simple fact of this whole thing is that botting is against the rules - which means there is absolutely no defense that anyone can put up for botting.

When you sign on you agree to Sony's rules - whether they enforce those rules or not is not relevant - the bot is still breaking the rules and should be punished accordingly.

Cops do not always pull every single speeder on the road that they see - it doesn't make you (the speeder) any less of a criminal (Speeding is a crime thusly, in the eyes of the law, you are a criminal while you speed) for speeding and the cops would have every right to pull you over and punish you for that activity.

Stop defending Botting - Its against the rules of EQ2 and that is all that matters.

Yes botting is against the rules however macro's are not. This subject had been discused in length on the SWG forums. If SOE was so worried about afk'ers they would do forced logouts.

As for compairing afk'ing to a RL crime that is just stupid. However even in RL there are reasons for violating laws.

Starbuck1771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:37 PM   #62
Onorem

Loremaster

Starbuck1771 wrote:

Trevalon wrote:

The simple fact of this whole thing is that botting is against the rules - which means there is absolutely no defense that anyone can put up for botting.

When you sign on you agree to Sony's rules - whether they enforce those rules or not is not relevant - the bot is still breaking the rules and should be punished accordingly.

Cops do not always pull every single speeder on the road that they see - it doesn't make you (the speeder) any less of a criminal (Speeding is a crime thusly, in the eyes of the law, you are a criminal while you speed) for speeding and the cops would have every right to pull you over and punish you for that activity.

Stop defending Botting - Its against the rules of EQ2 and that is all that matters.

Yes botting is against the rules however macro's are not. This subject had been discused in length on the SWG forums. If SOE was so worried about afk'ers they would do forced logouts.

As for compairing afk'ing to a RL crime that is just stupid. However even in RL there are reasons for violating laws.

Who said anything about macros? Macros require input...and while I agree that comparing afking to RL crime is stupid, it's far more stupid to point out that there are sometimes RL 'reasons for violating laws' as any kind of argument. I can imagine several scenarios where someone would justifiably need to break the law in RL. I can't imagine any reason a person could use to justify their 'need' to afk level or bot harvest or bot craft.

Old 05-20-2012, 07:37 PM   #63
Trevalon

Loremaster

Starbuck1771 wrote:

Trevalon wrote:

Who said anything about Macros? I was specifically talking about botting which is defined as using third party software that plays the game for you while you are not at the computer.  Macros are just hotkeys that are setup to execute multiple game commands with one button click (This still requires an operator at the computer and as such is fine).  Bots can use macros to operate but what makes using macros vs bots legal is that the macro needs a physical button press by a present operator - a bot does not. I am glad I was here to explain to you the difference between a macro and a bot.

Secondly, I was not comparing the severity of commiting a crime to anything that can be done in a video game I was giving an analogy of how in RL you are not always punished for doing wrong but that doesn't mean you didn't do wrong. Which goes back to the original poster claiming about his botter not being reprimanded (or at least he assumed that).

Lastly, there are indeed always circumstances and reasons that someone can have or come up with that would warrant comitting a crime in real life - having a reason to commit a crime still does not make it any less of a crime or make you any less culpable for that crime regardless of your reasoning behind it.  That is one reason why we have a third branch of government to decide whether your reasons for comitting a crime were valid enough for you to committ said crime and not be punished for it.

Please read more closely next time if you are going to participate in a conversation.

Trevalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 07:51 PM   #64
Dreamclouds

Loremaster

We have found a crafter that is creating stuff in their guildhall, just spinning in circles, and on 24/7 on antonia bayle. Several of us observed it, reported it... and the bot still continues. Not sure if it is being enforced at all, but we actually lost a player (cancelled account) because he was undercut every day, every minute on adornments. He sent pictures, and dialouge... nothing has changed.

I am afraid it is a subject not really going to be answered. No, we dont want to know what the punishment is...we want to see that person stopped botting and cheating everyone. I think its a pretty fair request.

I hope you get some resolution soon enough. For us it has been just a sad experience. If there is someone out there that knows what else we can do *please be positive, we dont want flames or rudeness* please let us know.

Thanks

Dreamclouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:39 AM   #65
Avirodar
Server: Oasis
Guild: Tyranny

Loremaster

Dreamclouds wrote:

We have found a crafter that is creating stuff in their guildhall, just spinning in circles, and on 24/7 on antonia bayle. Several of us observed it, reported it... and the bot still continues. Not sure if it is being enforced at all, but we actually lost a player (cancelled account) because he was undercut every day, every minute on adornments. He sent pictures, and dialouge... nothing has changed.

I am afraid it is a subject not really going to be answered. No, we dont want to know what the punishment is...we want to see that person stopped botting and cheating everyone. I think its a pretty fair request.

I hope you get some resolution soon enough. For us it has been just a sad experience. If there is someone out there that knows what else we can do *please be positive, we dont want flames or rudeness* please let us know.

Thanks

I used to tradeskill extensively, in the early days (Tier5 and Tier6). But as SOE made tradeskilling simpler, and simpler, and simpler, it became a much more viable target for "mass production".Bag space issues? No worries guys, SOE removed subcombines.Still have bag space issues? No worries guys, SOE gave us bigger bags, and more bank space.

Raw supplies? No worries guys, SOE gave us three guaranteed harvests of a node.Still not enough raws? No worries guys, SOE increased the rate of harvests to be up to 10 per click.STILL not enough raws? No worries guys, SOE gave us guild hall harvester bots.Can't exp your 6th tradeskiller quick enough? No worries guys, SOE gave us the ability to do uber exp tradeskill writs in the cozy comfort of the guild hall for ridonkulous EXP.So now that tradeskilling has been simplified to the point of face-rolling, people act suprised that mass-production bots are beating genuine players to the punch? I used to tradeskill a lot, but now I rarely do. Gone are the days where an Alchemist had to harvest randomly scattered fungus nodes in Feerrott.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:08 AM   #66
Skylan

Journeyman

People  that blatantly use bot progams should be banned.  That's the end of the "discussion."  It violates EULA and they are disrupting the play of people that actually play the game.

As far as I'm concerned block their credit card numbers.  They're the in-game equivalent of trash.

*edited blacklisting in post*

Skylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:10 AM   #67
Raknid

Loremaster

Skylan wrote:

People who use bot progams should be banned.  That's the end of the "discussion."  It violates EULA and they are disrupting the play of people that actually play the game.

As far as I'm concerned block their credit card numbers.  They're the in-game equivalent of trash.

Removed the names in case they mod you, but yes...I agree completely.

Raknid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:30 AM   #68
Lempo

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Dreamclouds wrote:

Thanks

I used to tradeskill extensively, in the early days (Tier5 and Tier6). But as SOE made tradeskilling simpler, and simpler, and simpler, it became a much more viable target for "mass production".

... [ list of "log in and win" removed ] ...So now that tradeskilling has been simplified to the point of face-rolling, people act suprised that mass-production bots are beating genuine players to the punch? I used to tradeskill a lot, but now I rarely do. Gone are the days where an Alchemist had to harvest randomly scattered fungus nodes in Feerrott.

I know exactly what you are saying here.

I was always at top tier crafting and adventuring during these days, as soon as I could possibly be. I really loved that system, it required interaction, sages that needed to make Adept III's had to get the proper tier of ink, to make the ink you had to make a vial to contain it, as well as for poisons. Now the only think my alchemist is good for is making primary stat pots, poisons and cure pots. Soon this will all go away because far more powerful items than I would have ever dreamed to be allowed to make in game are being sold on the marketplace, and more are incoming.

Somewhere in Norrath a guild is about to dissolve.
Lempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:31 AM   #69
Lempo

Loremaster

Skylan wrote:

People that blatantly use bot progams should be banned.  That's the end of the "discussion."  It violates EULA and they are disrupting the play of people that actually play the game.

Actually, SOE condones the use of bots for crafting, you just have to be 'at the keyboard'

Somewhere in Norrath a guild is about to dissolve.
Lempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:51 AM   #70
Landiin

Loremaster

Skylan wrote:

People that blatantly use bot progams should be banned.  That's the end of the "discussion."  It violates EULA and they are disrupting the play of people that actually play the game.

ROFL, You'll have to prove I use a bot 1st. They have rules they have to fallow and if they can't tell it is a bot they wont ban. So quit QQing it does no good.

Block my CC number, You do know you can change your CC number with one call right? Plus its free to play do I need a CC to play this game?

You think i bot on my main account? FTP for the win!

Old 05-21-2012, 12:03 PM   #71
Raknid

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Quoted for posteriety.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:12 PM   #72
Landiin

Loremaster

Raknid wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Quoted for posteriety.

You think they care? There is only a hand full of people QQing about botting vs the many botters out there and there are more then you know.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:27 PM   #73
Raknid

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Raknid wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Quoted for posteriety.

You think they care? There is only a hand full of people QQing about botting vs the many botters out there and there are more then you know.

Quoted for posteriety again. Another tacit admission that you cheat. Just keep it up...please.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:49 PM   #74
SOE-MOD-02

Community Moderator

I am going to close this down as it has begun to have bickering, insults and accusations attached to it.  If you suspect a player of violating the ToS/EULA of the game, please send in a ticket and let the GM's investigate.