EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > The Norrathian Herald > Community News
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-19-2012, 03:21 AM   #61
Starbuck1771

Loremaster

Cloudrat wrote:

Does this mean we can get crafting potions added to marketplace now?  please please please

I would rather have crafting mats back. I miss buying stacks of rares for crafting.

Starbuck1771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 03:48 AM   #62
clotilde22

Loremaster

Amekoi wrote:

I find this game has been going more and more to encouraging a solo mentality. I already feel useless and almost never group, since everything is completely soloable.

...anyone can grab potions from the SC store and do things all by their onesies. Watching how this game has been going, I know full well that these potions are hardly the last thing we'll see towards a completely soloable, play to win game.

Count me as another disappointed gamer.  The above quote aptly describes my view as well (sorry for snipping your post, Amekoi).  I'd been away from the game for an extended period and returned just a few months ago.  It seems that grouping is part of a scenario that doesn't really exist anymore for most characters below the cap--like my own.  I understand that there are many people that play during odd hours, have kid/pet/health/other reasons that they don't want to put themselves into a situation where they cannot go afk for as long as it takes to deal with their RL issue(s).  In this case soloing is preferred--I do understand.  But these very powerful items will further erode any incentive people ever had for grouping at lower levels, I do believe.   

I will just stand over here and have my EQ nostalgia moment of grouping and camaraderie while Barbra Streisand plays in the background. 

clotilde22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 04:08 AM   #63
ChrissyFaey

Loremaster

Don't really care ...  if people want to spend 1/10th a monthly subscription on three measely charges of these items, then that's their loss. It doesn't affect my game in any way!

ChrissyFaey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:27 AM   #64
Brigh

Loremaster

Amekoi wrote:

I'm an avid SoE lover. Been playing the game since launch and everything.

And with this latest announcement, I'm just disappointed.

I purposefully picked a social class (bard buff bot) so I could group. I tried to be a nice and social person so I could group. I put in effort to not suck or go /afk so much so I could group. And yet, around every turn, I find this game has been going more and more to encouraging a solo mentality. I already feel useless and almost never group, since everything is completely soloable. Now people don't even need my heals or rezzes, so that puts me out even further; anyone can grab potions from the SC store and do things all by their onesies. Watching how this game has been going, I know full well that these potions are hardly the last thing we'll see towards a completely soloable, play to win game.I find myself logging in once a week, or so, and staring at an empty landscape with a couple roaming mobs. And sighing, and logging out.

Thanks for the great game while it lasted, I suppose... find no reason to play since it's become so solo-friendly that it has become a Skyrim alternative for me, and that's simply no fun.

Sounds more like you chose a class everyone wants for raids and possibly is over saturated. 

Everything is not completely soloable. Try soloing a heroic DoV instance.

-Stephen Colbert

CoD3 double XP Rank Up promotion lesson for kids
Brigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:32 AM   #65
Equilibrium
Server: Kithicor

Loremaster

These are the same people that said there would never be a cash shop in a monthy sub model game, and that there is no chance that Beastlords will ever be added to EQ2. Do you really think they would be above lying about poll numbers to push thier agenda? Desperate times call for desperate measures. That should be there new motto. "SOE, Desperate Times Call for Desperate Measures"

Equilibrium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:46 AM   #66
Ahlana

Loremaster

One last thing since I am on Naggy

Name: Scroll of Resurrection

• 3 charges
  • Instant cast, 15 minute reuse
  • Allows player to resurrect themselves
  • You may only be grouped with mercenaries or not grouped
  • This item can be used on PvP servers but not cast in PvP combat

The last line... why add it? This can only be used solo anyways.. which means when you die on Naggy you are OUT OF PVP COMBAT.

So on a close fight you can just pop up on the unsuspected opponent and kill them... I mean how would you rez yourself in combat anyways? You have to be dead to use it lol, it baffles the mind.

Old 05-19-2012, 10:02 AM   #67
soulsercher

Loremaster

Gee, and people say WoW is the "easy" game. 

I haven't logged in in a while (Skyshrine is kind of boring, actually) but when I play, I mostly solo. And these new items truly aren't needed. Way to go dumbing and lazy-ing down this game even more. 

soulsercher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:19 AM   #68
Leko

Loremaster

I do not see a single issue with these items.  They can only be used for solo play and not in groups, raids, or PvP.  Once again I go back to my views on the SOE store.  IMO there are two buckets that gamers pick from time and money.  Some gamers have more time, some more money, and same a balance of the two.  Gamers with more time can grind out better gear, run in well equiped groups, and have strong raiding guild.  Gamers with more money can pick up items like these and other things from the store and enjoy the game at their pace and style.  

Having someone run around with these items does not efect your game play.  Once you get past the intinal OMG how dare SOE add these items in game I think you will come to see that they are not a big deal and it will all be OK.

Old 05-19-2012, 10:51 AM   #69
Kryvak
Server: Everfrost
Guild: Undercon

Loremaster

I would have voted agree on these solo items if it wasn't for one thing: once they start, they can't stop. Everyone can see that, it all started with LoN, and they said that was not going to end up becoming RMT in game. They made money off it, and wanted more, so the marketplace came. It's going to be a sad day when someone says "Man, we just can't beat that deathtouch for this raid mob, someone wanna buy that rez item off the marketplace?". And now that they've started adding game-affecting items in, it won't stop. They'll just keep coming until the game is completely pay-to-win and people are expected to use marketplace items to play the game.

Usual Suspects

Everfrost
Kryvak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 12:06 PM   #70
Khayos

Loremaster

You know as I have had more time to think, I wondered to myself if maybe the changes to EQ and EQ2 are based on the populations dwindling through the years and the prospects of a newer more populated game.

EQ didnt add mercenaries until 2008, 9 years after EQ launched, by that time the reported population was below 125,000 and falling. So Things to make a solo experience were added to help those who still wanted to play.

EQ2 added mercenaries just last year again nearly 8 years after launch, and a population that had been previously reported at around the 100,000 mark, God only knows what it actually was before they went F2P. These SC Items as well could be a response to the lack of finding people to group with, as well as maybe squeezing out the last amounts of money they can muster to keep the games running at a profit.

Essentially as much as I dont believe this to be true, I cant help but wonder, if they are doing this all for those of us who want the servers running. The last thing a person who loves an mmo wants is for the servers to shut down for good, but a company will have to cut its losses if the game is running at a deficit. They are in fact a business and need to make money, the games are not charity cases.

As far as we know, the games might just be making enough money to break even on operation, in which case we are lucky that they are staying running. We saw the shut down of EQOA, and if a game doesn't make enough money to sustain, then they can't keep it running bleeding money. Maybe the same is said for EQ and EQ2. The changes were possibly to save the games from the ultimate fate even if sacrifices had to be made in terms of systems.

Again all speculation, but just cant help but wonder. Perhaps I just want to believe, because I want the future to be as bright as the past was.

Khayos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 12:48 PM   #71
SOE-MOD-02

Community Moderator

This post has moved: /eq2/posts/preList.m?topic_id=49996...post_id=5757554 Insults are not permitted
Old 05-19-2012, 12:56 PM   #72
Laenai
Server: Oasis
Guild: Tyranny

Loremaster

Khayos wrote:

You know as I have had more time to think, I wondered to myself if maybe the changes to EQ and EQ2 are based on the populations dwindling through the years and the prospects of a newer more populated game.

EQ didnt add mercenaries until 2008, 9 years after EQ launched, by that time the reported population was below 125,000 and falling. So Things to make a solo experience were added to help those who still wanted to play.

EQ2 added mercenaries just last year again nearly 8 years after launch, and a population that had been previously reported at around the 100,000 mark, God only knows what it actually was before they went F2P. These SC Items as well could be a response to the lack of finding people to group with, as well as maybe squeezing out the last amounts of money they can muster to keep the games running at a profit.

Essentially as much as I dont believe this to be true, I cant help but wonder, if they are doing this all for those of us who want the servers running. The last thing a person who loves an mmo wants is for the servers to shut down for good, but a company will have to cut its losses if the game is running at a deficit. They are in fact a business and need to make money, the games are not charity cases.

As far as we know, the games might just be making enough money to break even on operation, in which case we are lucky that they are staying running. We saw the shut down of EQOA, and if a game doesn't make enough money to sustain, then they can't keep it running bleeding money. Maybe the same is said for EQ and EQ2. The changes were possibly to save the games from the ultimate fate even if sacrifices had to be made in terms of systems.

Again all speculation, but just cant help but wonder. Perhaps I just want to believe, because I want the future to be as bright as the past was.

Once again, I direct this sort of thing towards Ford and Chevrolet.

Ford and Chevrolet have been running in the red for years, were both recipients of bail out money, and nearly had to close their doors after bleeding thousands of employees.

Then one day, Ford took a look at their business model. They cut the number of car models they offered by almost half and decided to focus on increasing the quality of 12 models instead of pushing the quantity of 22 models. Almost immediately, their profits soared, they began making money again, and their customers came back. Because they suddenly realized that what people want is better QUALITY, not higher quantity. Chevrolet followed suit very quickly and within 20 months of the original bailout date, Ford and Chevrolet were once again announced as the top 2 auto makers in the world.

If they concentrated on the quality of the game versus the quantity of the marketplace, EQ2 would return to a thriving community. If the game came first, people would come back, subs would fill in the gaps, and game affecting items wouldn't need to be a necessity to pay the bills to keep the lights on.

Unfortunately, the marketplace comes first which means the players don't come first. And this slippery slope will eventually kill the great game they're attempting to "save" with it when the next quality title comes out.

Old 05-19-2012, 01:58 PM   #73
Sigtyr
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Secret Keepers

Loremaster

clotilde22 wrote:

It seems that grouping is part of a scenario that doesn't really exist anymore for most characters below the cap--like my own.  I understand that there are many people that play during odd hours, have kid/pet/health/other reasons that they don't want to put themselves into a situation where they cannot go afk for as long as it takes to deal with their RL issue(s). 

First personally I do not care, the target group of these potions do rarely post on forums like these anyway and also in many ways play a totally different EQ2 than what people who post in this thread does.

Secondly, IMHO grouping disappeared for the casual player during TSO when "you have to have this and you have to have that" to group became the norm, if that was due to the players or the designers is at this moment unimportant. This is an old game and if you understand and "get" all of it you should be happy, but you should also realize that for an casual player who only hears "level to 90 and solo it" as reply to all the questions things might not be that easy. We are playing several different games in EQ2 and the discusion should really be about that.

Sigtyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 02:38 PM   #74
Ahlana

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Once again, I direct this sort of thing towards Ford and Chevrolet.

Ford and Chevrolet have been running in the red for years, were both recipients of bail out money

Though my responce adds nothing to the topic at hand. Ford did not get Bail out money. It was Chevy and Chrysler, Ford refused the bailout money and is part of the reason they rebounded faster than Chevy.

Now the rest of you may carry on SMILEY

Old 05-19-2012, 03:04 PM   #75
Maisland

Loremaster

More junk on the marketplace that I will not waste my money on.

How about putting stuff that I would buy there?  I would gladly buy new races (Othmir anyone?  I would also pay to be able to play a gnoll).  I would also be willing to pay for new classes.  I would buy something that made my non-prestige homes rent free.  I would pay for additional merc slots (so I could pull out a specific merc for a specific objective).  I would even buy crafting recipes.

I suppose I should be grateful that at least this crap is only for solo play... but how much longer before it is available for groups or raids?  and how long after that before it becomes mandatory for raids?  I should not have to pay more than my monthly subscription to do any content!

Maisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 03:04 PM   #76
Starbuck1771

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Starbuck1771 wrote:

Astarte wrote:

This is just sad..   But of course.. listen to what the f2p want and not the ones who pays a monthly subscription.

Do you wanna know whats realy sad? You people trying to dictate how other people play their game. Just because something is on the SC store does not mean you have to buy it.

Like you I will not buy those items however i refuse to make myself a jerk at the same time by whineing about something so trivial. Like most of you have said the game is already easy so therefore the pots are not that much of a change. Plus they have been handing xp pots for years for free so once again it is not realy that much of a change.

So just stop crying over spilt milk and move along as there is nothing to see here.  

I'd be saying the same thing if there was a way in game to get comprable items like say from Alchemists. but there isn't you can only get these in the market place that is the Pay to Win model. So when they put a great weapon or piece of armour with stats you can only get in the market place are you going to say the same thing?

The way I see this is it effects nothing. They can only be used while solo. The only people that this realy would effect would be the alchemists but it is not that big of a hit. Now if these were useable dureing raids or partys then there would be reasons to complain. do the math if a person buys these and dies or uses the health potion. I am sure there is a cooldown between uses and that means they are going to most likely die again or need another health boost.  This is smart business on SOE's part make money off peoples lack of common sense. 

Old 05-19-2012, 03:10 PM   #77
Starbuck1771

Loremaster

Ahlana wrote:

• 3 charges

The last line... why add it? This can only be used solo anyways.. which means when you die on Naggy you are OUT OF PVP COMBAT.

So on a close fight you can just pop up on the unsuspected opponent and kill them... I mean how would you rez yourself in combat anyways? You have to be dead to use it lol, it baffles the mind.

I am sure they are saying you can't use them in the pvp battlegrounds or when killed by another player on a pvp server.

Old 05-19-2012, 03:16 PM   #78
Starbuck1771

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

These are the same people that said there would never be a cash shop in a monthy sub model game, and that there is no chance that Beastlords will ever be added to EQ2. Do you really think they would be above lying about poll numbers to push thier agenda? Desperate times call for desperate measures. That should be there new motto. "SOE, Desperate Times Call for Desperate Measures"

Yup the same people that claimed that they would continue to carry SWG. Welcome to the world of business children. They can promise anything on these forums/sites and it is not binding.

Old 05-19-2012, 03:23 PM   #79
Starbuck1771

Loremaster

ChrissyFaey wrote:

Don't really care ...  if people want to spend 1/10th a monthly subscription on three measely charges of these items, then that's their loss. It doesn't affect my game in any way!

DING! DING! We have a winner. This is the way everyone should see it. People toss out the phrase pay to win. My question is win what? Debt? Because in the end you have nothing if SOE shuts down the game due to lack of funding.  They just need to stop acting 12 and get on with life. It is the people buying this stuff that is keeping the game around.

Old 05-19-2012, 03:32 PM   #80
Ahlana

Loremaster

Starbuck1771 wrote:

Ahlana wrote:

• 3 charges

I am sure they are saying you can't use them in the pvp battlegrounds or when killed by another player on a pvp server.

Actually you can use it right after being killed in PVP. The restriction is just not while IN  combat lol.. which of course you couldn't use it then .. you are dead.

But you can indeed use it after they kill you. They really should just flip our switch to blue already.. They gave up on PVP a loooooooooooong time ago.

Old 05-19-2012, 03:45 PM   #81
Khayos

Loremaster

Starbuck1771 wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Yup the same people that claimed that they would continue to carry SWG. Welcome to the world of business children. They can promise anything on these forums/sites and it is not binding.

On a side note just to address this. While SOE stated they and Lucas Arts came to the decision together, it is false. Lucas refused to renew the IP, and forced SOE to close it down. SOE did not default on their claim, Lucas Arts forced their hands. SOE made the statement to not make Lucas Arts look bad....Which Lucas Arts is the devil but we can talk about that another time lol.

Ok Carry on to the original convo.

Khayos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 04:09 PM   #82
Boethius_Permafrost

Loremaster

If the items are needed for people to enjoy solo play, make them free or crafted.  

I think you are undervaluing the stability of a loyal paying base.  You're blatantly mocking everyone who said they are adamantly opposed to making those items available for station cash, and daring us to quit.

Boethius_Permafrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 06:18 PM   #83
SOE-MOD-17

Community Moderator

This post has moved: /eq2/posts/preList.m?topic_id=51679...post_id=5757609 Off-topic. Please keep discussion constructive and on-topic. Thanks.
SOE-MOD-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 06:43 PM   #84
LordPazuzu

Loremaster

If I needed to uses those items to solo in this game, especially with a merc, I'd just quit.

LordPazuzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:00 PM   #85
Starbuck1771

Loremaster

[email protected] DLere wrote:

If I needed to uses those items to solo in this game, especially with a merc, I'd just quit.

Which is your right just like it is their right to use them if they so choose. So therefore the entire issue of complaining about them being sold to people is a moot point.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...rm=moot%20point

A moot point is an expression meaning that something doesn't matter so there is no point for debate because of certain circumstances. It is either irrelevant/not worth arguing over.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:29 PM   #86
Starbuck1771

Loremaster

Cloudrat wrote:

Starbuck1771 wrote:

[email protected] DLere wrote:

Which is your right just like it is their right to use them if they so choose. So therefore the entire issue of complaining about them being sold to people is a moot point.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...rm=moot%20point

A moot point is an expression meaning that something doesn't matter so there is no point for debate because of certain circumstances. It is either irrelevant/not worth arguing over.

I have been told that defining the words you use when not asked to do so, is considered condescending....

condescending (adj)

bing.com

con·de·scend·ing
 [ kòndə sénding ]   
  1. snobby: behaving toward other people in a way that shows you consider yourself socially or intellectually superior to them
I think the potions are nice for those who want them and of no consequence to those who don't.

Just posted the meaning for those that didn't know it. After all some of those complaining about this are acting rather childish instead of like adults so it is hard to tell. 

Old 05-20-2012, 12:09 AM   #87
SOE-MOD-17

Community Moderator

This post has moved: /eq2/posts/preList.m?topic_id=51679...post_id=5757669 Trolling. Please review the forum guidelines.
SOE-MOD-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 05:18 AM   #88
SpineDoc

Loremaster

Why do you guys blame SOE?  Go log into the game, look to the player on your left, then to the player on your right.  Yes that's who you should blame, this is what players want.  SOE is a profit driven company, they are not an evil supervillain.  What drives them are profit, and the profits have clearly spoken.  It's not like it's an unique phenomenon, log into ANY new MMO in the last couple of years and you will see they are hugely solo oriented. 

It's not what I would prefer in a social game, I'm one of the last dinosaurs who MUCH preferred the forced grouping of the games heyday.  What ends up happening here is that you get a generation of players who reach level 90/320/masters AND have full raid gear BUT HAVE NEVER GROUPED BEFORE!!!  Read that again for a second and realize how funny that is, but it's the complete and utter reality of today's game. 

Now on some levels I'm torn, we just had a baby and it makes committing an hour or 2 to do a group zone pretty tough at times and I'm glad for the mercs where I can just go farm plat in PR.  I think there is a time and place for soloing certainly, but I never understood why people just don't log off and play a nicer looking game like Skyrim and just keep their chat/messenger window open.

But, all crying and moaning aside, it is what it is and if anyone expects SOE to go in any other different direction than full pay to win I've got a bridge to sell you.  It always amazes me how many are actually surprised.

92 Templar (retired until they are fixed)

92 Coercer

92 Guardian

92 Wizard

92 Beastlord
SpineDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:25 AM   #89
Onorem

Loremaster

Starbuck1771 wrote:

This is the way everyone should see it.

Please feel free to 'not' tell me how I should see it.

Old 05-20-2012, 10:31 AM   #90
Anadorn

Loremaster

Sadly this is a game breaker for me, everyone has their own opinion and tolerance.  If this doesn't cross a boundary for you then happy gaming but I will no longer take part, just sad that after almost 8 years this is the reason.

Anadorn is offline   Reply With Quote