EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > The Development Corner > In Testing Feedback
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-11-2012, 03:11 PM   #1
Terrogaunt

Developer

Hey guys, the /setautoattackmode command should now be on Test for you guys to check out.

If you have any feedback on how it's working or run into any bugs with it, please post them here!

Terrogaunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 04:06 PM   #2
Mermut

Loremaster

Tried it with a focus item on my warden and my autoattack was melee the whole time. I tried starting with a spell as well as using a spell part way through. I stayed, correctly, locked into melee autoattack.

Old 05-11-2012, 04:21 PM   #3
Barx
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Mayhem

Loremaster

Can't wait to get on test and check things out.

A big thank you in advance for this. Wands have been driving melee priests (and casters in general) batty since they went in, and this feature really should have been planned from the start. (Nothing to do with you specifically Terrogaunt, just commenting in general on the need for planning at the higher level / management).

Barx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:00 PM   #4
jjlo69

Loremaster

i have tried to test this some what.. it seems to be working for only ranged auto attack.. until some guild halls get set up with training dummys.. i wont be able to give good feedback 

jjlo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:52 PM   #5
Kreton

Loremaster

So I tested it out some on test, and there needs to be a way to disable spells from starting autoattack altogether.  In order to disable spell autoattack, I set it on melee attack.  But if you have it set on melee autoattack, all your spells will keep turning melee on even if you aren't even close to melee range, so you just constantly keep getting spammed with your target is too far away after every spell.

Kreton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:58 PM   #6
Neiloch

Loremaster

Works perfectly on my ranger. I mentored down to 5 and beat on some level 12-13 stuff in antonica since I don't have access to training dummy. Tried every melee CA I had and none of them turned on melee auto.

FYI, I made sure I wasn't using any macros that turn on ranged auto, I did it like a pro and used them from my knowledge book /flex.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:03 PM   #7
Hennyo

Loremaster

Kreton wrote:

So I tested it out some on test, and there needs to be a way to disable spells from starting autoattack altogether.  In order to disable spell autoattack, I set it on melee attack.  But if you have it set on melee autoattack, all your spells will keep turning melee on even if you aren't even close to melee range, so you just constantly keep getting spammed with your target is too far away after every spell.

Well, your suggestion isn't going to exactly be easy to implement, and it would cause other issues, but I do think it brings up a differrent great suggestion for this, a mode where spells and combat arts do not start auto attack at all. I am not saying turn auto attack off, just do not activate auto attack in any way shape or form, such a mode could have a number of uses, particularly for tanks.

Also, some way to turn off the auto attack message that you are too far away independently, tho I really don't think this is as big of an issue, it would still be nice tho.

Hennyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:23 PM   #8
Mermut

Loremaster

Kreton wrote:

If you're staying ranged why wouldn't you want to use spell ranged auto attack?

Old 05-11-2012, 11:22 PM   #9
Kreton

Loremaster

Mermut wrote:

Kreton wrote:

If you're staying ranged why wouldn't you want to use spell ranged auto attack?

Certain scripts, debuffs, and damage shields can proc interrupts or fails on you midcast.  There are times you want to disable it for certain scripts and mobs.

Kreton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:24 AM   #10
Neiloch

Loremaster

Well as a temp fix for anyone who cares, I shunted the error codes associated with the melee error message into a kind of 'spam' chat tab. I never see any messages bugging me about it. I did it so long ago though i'm not sure what it was called, but it is definitely possible.

Old 05-12-2012, 12:20 PM   #11
Kuulei

Tester

I will get a dummy in today and it will be set to public access.

Gorowyn Guild Hall

Old 05-12-2012, 10:24 PM   #12
Neiloch

Loremaster

Kuulei wrote:

Gorowyn Guild Hall

I and Uncle were referring to the 'test copy' server, FYI. Not sure if you were talking about the regular test server or test copy.

Old 05-12-2012, 10:51 PM   #13
Kuulei

Tester

[email protected] wrote:

Kuulei wrote:

Gorowyn Guild Hall

I and Uncle were referring to the 'test copy' server, FYI. Not sure if you were talking about the regular test server or test copy.

Its on test copy

Old 05-13-2012, 01:49 AM   #14
ShadowMunkie

Loremaster

Wonderful wonderful addition to the game. I love this feature! Thanks for hearing the players and getting this into the game.

ShadowMunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:24 PM   #15
Stubbswick

Loremaster

Everything looks good to me.  Level 92 Inquisitor, testing with a spell weapon.

All three modes persisted through zoning and death.  I didn't get a chance to try evac because I didn't have any totems with me before copying over.

I tried switching modes during combat, and it seems to work pretty well.  If you are just auto attacking, it will stick with whatever you were currently doing even if you switch modes, but if you actually press an ability, it will put you in the mode you switched too.

I tried un-equipping my spell weapon in mode 2.  It put me into melee auto attack, which I'm assuming is what you intended (makes sense to me... instead of getting stuck in a mode where you wouldn't be able to auto attack at all).

I tried going into mode 2 with no spell weapon equipped, and then equipping it during the fight.  It seemed to correctly pick up ranged auto attack again after using any ability.

So far, everything looks good.  I haven't tested this on a fighter or scout to see if it behaves the same for ranged weapons, but it works great for spell weapons!

Stubbswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:30 PM   #16
Neiloch

Loremaster

I was hoping this would make it to live today (Tuesday), about half my guild and every ranger I know are exciting about this type of feature finally being put in.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:38 PM   #17
Landiin

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Wonderful wonderful addition to the game. I love this feature! Thanks for hearing the players and getting this into the game.

Yea it only took them since the game came out to hear us...

Old 05-15-2012, 02:43 PM   #18
Cometar
Server: Mistmoore
Guild: New Outriders

Loremaster

Amazing additon. Thank you. Can this please be on live now? K,thx,bye. 

Old 05-15-2012, 06:35 PM   #19
Onorem

Loremaster

Finally. Oh, and thanks.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:54 PM   #20
Neiloch

Loremaster

Someone sneak it into thursday's update!
Old 05-17-2012, 01:51 AM   #21
Alenna
Server: Guk
Guild: Defenders of the Light

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Someone sneak it into thursday's update!

That good no bugs?

Old 05-17-2012, 03:27 AM   #22
Neiloch

Loremaster

Not that I could find. Only complaint I have heard is people who want to disable ranged by turning it to melee get spammed by the not in melee range message.

Old 05-17-2012, 12:29 PM   #23
Alenna
Server: Guk
Guild: Defenders of the Light

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Not that I could find. Only complaint I have heard is people who want to disable ranged by turning it to melee get spammed by the not in melee range message.

aaah but if I have it ranged I can get rid of the melee CA macros I have for my ranger right?

Old 05-17-2012, 12:39 PM   #24
Mermut

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

aaah but if I have it ranged I can get rid of the melee CA macros I have for my ranger right?

Yes. If you lock ranged attack it won't switch when you hit a melee attack. The only complaint seems to be from those who don't want to auto-attack at all.

Old 05-17-2012, 01:13 PM   #25
Landiin

Loremaster

There was a good suggestion on the topic over at EQ2Wire by camelotcrusade. Their suggestion was to have two proximity-based setting, favor melee and favor ranged. That way if there was a range issue it would auto swap if needed.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:17 PM   #26
ShadowMunkie

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

There was a good suggestion on the topic over at EQ2Wire by camelotcrusade. Their suggestion was to have two proximity-based setting, favor melee and favor ranged. That way if there was a range issue it would auto swap if needed.

This wouldn't work with many classes unless they specified what one you want to be over the other if they overlap.

Example:Enchanters can get 10 meter melee range, wands start at 5 meters.Rangers get ranged attacks at  5meters, their melee range is at 5 meters also.

Which one would be used if they overlapped. I certainly wouldn't want as an Enchanter the wand to take over if I'm in melee range, since I'm sitting at 550 MA, with all my melee stats capped (in raid.) If it was set up correctly and allowed you to choose which attack to use whenever you get in a certain prox, then I could see it working to benefit otherwise I say leave it alone and possible add the ability to disable auto attack completely.

As others have said there are fights where auto attacks are bad, HAND OF VALLON is one of them, if you accidently attack the wrong mob you are done, you mess the raid over. Having the ability to disable auto attacks whenever you want will be a good thing.

Old 05-19-2012, 01:30 AM   #27
Landiin

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

This wouldn't work with many classes unless they specified what one you want to be over the other if they overlap.

Example:Enchanters can get 10 meter melee range, wands start at 5 meters.Rangers get ranged attacks at  5meters, their melee range is at 5 meters also.

Which one would be used if they overlapped. I certainly wouldn't want as an Enchanter the wand to take over if I'm in melee range, since I'm sitting at 550 MA, with all my melee stats capped (in raid.) If it was set up correctly and allowed you to choose which attack to use whenever you get in a certain prox, then I could see it working to benefit otherwise I say leave it alone and possible add the ability to disable auto attack completely.

As others have said there are fights where auto attacks are bad, HAND OF VALLON is one of them, if you accidently attack the wrong mob you are done, you mess the raid over. Having the ability to disable auto attacks whenever you want will be a good thing.

I wouldn't think it would be that hard to understand overlap or not.  If you picked favor melee you would always melee autoattack unless you was out of range, same for favor range, you would always be range autoattack unless you was to close aka out of range. Hins the work "Favor". Of course they would still want the current option of just melee or range because options are always good.

If you can't stop your attacking on HoV then you have more issues than I care to cover here but I'll try. F1?

Old 05-19-2012, 12:11 PM   #28
ShadowMunkie

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

I wouldn't think it would be that hard to understand overlap or not.  If you picked favor melee you would always melee autoattack unless you was out of range, same for favor range, you would always be range autoattack unless you was to close aka out of range. Hins the work "Favor". Of course they would still want the current option of just melee or range because options are always good.

If you can't stop your attacking on HoV then you have more issues than I care to cover here but I'll try. F1?

I think you are misunderstanding the current workings of the options. They 'FORCE' you to either Melee or Ranged/Spell, meaning you have to use a macro to accomplish it not just 'f1', it would be '/setautoattackmode 0; /autoattack 0' to completely turn it off. The first command turns the mode to automatic which means it won't force the melee/ranged to trigger, and the second of course turns off auto attack.

The way it currently works is if its set to 1 or 2 no matter whom you target you will still continue to attack, if you attack with any CA/Spell it automatically turns your auto attack back on even if you manually set it to off. So you have to set the mode to automatic for it to not automatically turn it on. I agree that you wouldn't think its would be that hard, the reality of the matter is ALOT of thought and planning goes into the simplest functions like this, it has taken 2 and a half years to get it working to this level.

You can't just copy and paste lines of code because it won't work. It has to be manually created from scratch, not many people in today's world is capable of doing that and being on this level of quality. Whoever programmed this feature knew EXACTLY what they were doing and if they are still with the EQ2 team they won't be for very much longer; they will be pulled to a different project because of their knowledge.

I give my upmost props to the person that designed this function and if they are capable of adding a way to automatically swap from Melee/Range with preference on overlap I will give them props then as well.

This is just my $0.02 take it how you want.

Old 05-19-2012, 01:41 PM   #29
Leawyn

Loremaster

But if you target yourself, you attack nothing.... just saying.

Maelani | Maelya | Maerie | Maehymn | Maewyn | Maekita | Maelynne
Leawyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 03:07 PM   #30
Neiloch

Loremaster

Yes F1/target self works well for HoV-type fights and will continue to work well even with one of the new preferences picked.

They are talking about if both options are available, for a player specified one to take precedent. If only one of two are available, that the only available one turn on regardless of player preference.