EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-15-2012, 08:08 AM   #91
yohann koldheart

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Sad that this valid post has gone down to a slanging match.

Solution?

Add a the ammount of AA a person has to the /who all command and also to the inspect.

Problem solved.

Allows people to go to 92 without grinding AA in lowbie zones, and also allows people setting up groups the transparency to choose whether or not  to 'carry' someone with 265 AA. Or 125.

its really not needed, you can go to eq2u.com and see almost every detail about every toon in the game.

their aa, whare they have them spent, their gear, what adorns they have etc etc

yohann koldheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:05 AM   #92
Avirodar
Server: Oasis
Guild: Tyranny

Loremaster

yohann koldheart wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Sad that this valid post has gone down to a slanging match.

Solution?

Add a the ammount of AA a person has to the /who all command and also to the inspect.

Problem solved.

Allows people to go to 92 without grinding AA in lowbie zones, and also allows people setting up groups the transparency to choose whether or not  to 'carry' someone with 265 AA. Or 125.

its really not needed, you can go to eq2u.com and see almost every detail about every toon in the game.

their aa, whare they have them spent, their gear, what adorns they have etc etc

Assuming they have not taken the single click step to conceal their character stats.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:37 AM   #93
ReddyKY

Loremaster

The design turn taken by the Devs with this GU seems to me to be a resounding success. The biggest complaints you see is that the crates of goodies are not relevant to the character that gets it, and that there are no shards from the group or raid zones.

You only see a very small smattering of threads about the instances being too hard, but that is mostly limited UD.

I can't think of a single thread where I have seen someone complain about people in the group not pulling their weight, or the group failing because of set up issue, or any of the various and sundry complaints we saw about the DoV instances. Find them and link them if they exist.

In that regard, the storngest evidence, and opinions, are the ones we AREN'T seeing. This quite possibly might turn out to be one of the smartest decision SOE has made lately.

I think most people have no desire to go back to the "good old days" of experience leaches and people being where they absolutely no business.

As Mae pointed out earlier. There is absolutely NO content a player has ANY business in that is blocked by this requirement. You don't have to be level 91 or 280AA to partake of the content that was designed for a solo playstyle.

I believe the Devs can see by the usage of the open zones and instances that this GU might just have turned a corner for the grouping side of the game. I also believe that no amount of wailing and gnashing of teeth is going to make them change their mind and reverse course, which it shouldn't, as there is no facet of this GU that would actually be helped by changing the requirements; OPs nonsensical assertion regarding raiding aside.

ReddyKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:51 AM   #94
CoLD MeTaL

Loremaster

erk48188 wrote:

Please remove the 280aa requirement to level to 92.  This is already starting to severly affect end-game raiding guilds - especially with summer coming.  

Raid forces are very dynamic, people coming and going all throughout the year - and summer's always a problem.  Prior to gu63, it wasn't difficult to have someone bring up an alt quickly and have it available for raid - or a new person to get a toon up, for that matter.  You can pull a bard or a chanter into raid with 100-150aa and it's not a detriment.  Now it's going to take a much, much longer time to get reinforcements up to 92.

This is an unnecessary, artificial blocking mechanism keeping people from getting to 92 quickly enough for end-game raids.  Please remove this.

Once you learn that grinding is the fastest way to level, and give up on questing, adventuring etc.  You will get those levels in no time.  The 280 aa is just a roadblock like critmit was, we traded one for the other along with the insane Hell levels of 91 and 92.  It's meant to force you to stop 'playing' and get to grinding, because raid forces dont' want 'players' they want min/maxers.  Everything is designed to please raiders, this is just one more notch on the ratchet.

CoLD MeTaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:52 AM   #95
CoLD MeTaL

Loremaster

ReddyKY wrote:

...I can't think of a single thread where I have seen someone complain about people in the group not pulling their weight, or the group failing because of set up issue, or any of the various and sundry complaints we saw about the DoV instances. Find them and link them if they exist.....

I would say that's because most people are still trying to get to 92.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:56 AM   #96
ReddyKY

Loremaster

CoLD MeTaL wrote:

ReddyKY wrote:

...I can't think of a single thread where I have seen someone complain about people in the group not pulling their weight, or the group failing because of set up issue, or any of the various and sundry complaints we saw about the DoV instances. Find them and link them if they exist.....

Plenty of instances of SS shortly after the GU.

So what you really mean to say is that the people who were previously doing content before they were capable, and thus complaining, are now gearing/AAing up so that they are actaully capable before they try it? That is a bad thing?

ReddyKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:09 PM   #97
Rageincarnate
Server: Unrest
Guild: Vindication

Loremaster

Pick up groups have never been better!   When i invite a level 92, they have the stuff they need to function.  I'm not getting some powerleveled alt that has 4 hours of play time behind it.  (Normally)

the 280 limit insures that people try at least a little bit. 

I'm just gonna say what i think here.  If you really mind working to put effort into your toon, you arent going to try and play properly and i don't want you in my group.

i DONT CARE if you parse 5k as long as you try.  If i see you trying i will support you. 

Some of these posts.. aren't even trying ... and it hurts my head.

If i dont care, i can risk a level 90.  maybe they wont have half their buffs/abilities.. maybe they will.  But at least i have that choice.

Rageincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:15 PM   #98
Tylia
Server: Butcherblock
Guild: Test of Time

Loremaster

CoLD MeTaL wrote:

Once you learn that grinding is the fastest way to level, and give up on questing, adventuring etc.  You will get those levels in no time.  The 280 aa is just a roadblock like critmit was, we traded one for the other along with the insane Hell levels of 91 and 92.  It's meant to force you to stop 'playing' and get to grinding, because raid forces dont' want 'players' they want min/maxers.  Everything is designed to please raiders, this is just one more notch on the ratchet.

Levels 91 and 92 are not normal levels, they are "prestige" levels.  They were designed to take longer to achieve, and have nothing to do with "pleasing raiders".  Requiring 280 AA was implemented to ensure that players had the basic tools available to them to be able to do the content in SS (Heroic endline abilities for example).  Honestly Cold, can't you come up with something new to whine about besides raiders?

Tylia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:16 PM   #99
Mathrim
Server: Befallen
Guild: Legion of Legend

Loremaster

CoLD MeTaL wrote:

Everything is designed to please raiders, this is just one more notch on the ratchet.

Can I have some of what you are smoking?

The introduction of mercs was designed to please raiders? Skyshrine solo quest content that rewards gear better than all easy mode DoV 1.0 group content was designed to please raiders? Skyshrine group content that rewards gear better than all but Hard Moder Drunder raiding was designed to please raiders? Red slot group quest reward (boots/shoulders) and ranged items better than raid drops were designed to please raiders? Access to Dozekar faction head armor and weapons from group content that are better than pretty much all DoV 1.0 raid gear besides PoW was designed to please raiders?

Get real and get over yourself.

Mathrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:22 PM   #100
Mathrim

Loremaster

CoLD MeTaL wrote:

Out of 270 guilds tracking raid progress, only 19 have not made a single kill in Underdepths and of those 19 not tracking, I am betting most of them probably dont even exist anymore.

That is 93% of the tracking raiding playerbase has reached 24 man raid forces all level 92......

Are you really going to sit there and try and claim that non-raiders are still trying to level and haven't reached 92 yet? Really?

I have 5 level 92's already. My wife has 7. I have friends who have 14 to 18 level 92's and it's been a freaking month since Skyshrine hit.

Anyone who isn't 92 is purely because they are a completely new player or they are absolutely not trying. Period.

I didn't grind a single fight to get my toons to 92. I did the the access quest timeline from start to finish with friends and got 91.5. I then stepped out to Withering Lands and finished the rest questing molo in under an hour.

Thats level 90 to 92 in less than 8 hours without even breaking a sweat. Quit acting like this is some impossible feat that only superhero's can complete.

Old 05-15-2012, 12:44 PM   #101
d1anaw

Loremaster

erk48188 wrote:

Please remove the 280aa requirement to level to 92.  This is already starting to severly affect end-game raiding guilds - especially with summer coming.  

Raid forces are very dynamic, people coming and going all throughout the year - and summer's always a problem.  Prior to gu63, it wasn't difficult to have someone bring up an alt quickly and have it available for raid - or a new person to get a toon up, for that matter.  You can pull a bard or a chanter into raid with 100-150aa and it's not a detriment.  Now it's going to take a much, much longer time to get reinforcements up to 92.

This is an unnecessary, artificial blocking mechanism keeping people from getting to 92 quickly enough for end-game raids.  Please remove this.

I agree. Though not a raider, I hate the whole concept. I worked my butt off to get my people to 90 and didn't and don't really make AA a priority. I shouldn't be penalized for that. Afterall, isn't this supposed to be "play your own way?"

d1anaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:46 PM   #102
d1anaw

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

erk48188 wrote:

I would not want to be forced to raid with a bard or a chanter (or any other class for that matter) that only had 100 - 150 AA's.  Really, I would hate to see what your raid force looks like if you think that is "not a detriment".  The requirement was put in to place to prevent situations like this from happening.  Seriously.. with a little bit of dedication, determination, and time, anyone can obtain the 280 AA's needed to advance. 

You are not "forced" to do anything. One of the things I hate most about raiding is the incredible arrogance associated with those who do raid, this being a prime example of that. I am not going to choose to be in your raid, you are not going to choose to have me there, so why do you care how I allocate my time to level and what I prioritize?

Old 05-15-2012, 12:50 PM   #103
d1anaw

Loremaster

General_Info wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

I would not want to be forced to raid with a bard or a chanter (or any other class for that matter) that only had 100 - 150 AA's.  Really, I would hate to see what your raid force looks like if you think that is "not a detriment".  The requirement was put in to place to prevent situations like this from happening.  Seriously.. with a little bit of dedication, determination, and time, anyone can obtain the 280 AA's needed to advance. 

That and it is easier to balance the classes at that tier rather then having to take in account drastic differences in AAs by the high and low end of the AA spectrum in the players base they only have to work under the range of 280-320AAs.

It's not hard to get AAs at all you just need time and think about it having 280AAs req may slow down people getting raid ready but the groups will be far more stable as a whole in the long term.

Some of us actually have jobs and families and lives outside of video games. Regardless, we are entitled to play the way we choose to play since it is our money and our time (however limited) to spend as we like. This expansion was hailed as a "play your way" and that is what we should be able to do without the artificial barriers. Why should it bother you if we choose to focus on level rather than AA, especially for those of us who were at max level before the AA came out? It doesn't affect your game in any way if I should get to 92 without ::::gasp:::: 280AA.

Old 05-15-2012, 12:50 PM   #104
Sigtyr
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Secret Keepers

Loremaster

CoLD MeTaL wrote:

we traded one for the other along with the insane Hell levels of 91 and 92.  It's meant to force you to stop 'playing' and get to grinding, because raid forces dont' want 'players' they want min/maxers.  Everything is designed to please raiders, this is just one more notch on the ratchet.

I actually would like to know how many AP a free to play Silver account has at level 90 at the end of Eastern Wastes questline if they faithfully follow the Golden Path to 90. Yes you are being told with a quest that you need 280 AP to continue but if there are no hints that you should go back and do old content I think it is fair to say that many people will be really upset. Getting a group to do the DOV1 instances will probably be impossible in a month or so, it is hard now.

Personally I think it is good, the options for new players to 90 should be explained better.

Secondly will people who starts in DoV2 this summer or autumn even get groups so they can do the access quests or will that be an upcoming nerf like crit mit removal?

Sigtyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:50 PM   #105
Tylia

Loremaster

d1anaw wrote:

I agree. Though not a raider, I hate the whole concept. I worked my butt off to get my people to 90 and didn't and don't really make AA a priority. I shouldn't be penalized for that. Afterall, isn't this supposed to be "play your own way?"

You are "playing your own way".  You chose to level to 90 and not make AA a priority.  You were not penalized for that.  The next two levels are prestige (if you are unsure of the meaning of the word, please feel free to look it up), and as such, they have specific requirements that must be met before they can be gained.  It isn't rocket science, it's really very simple.  Meet the specific requirements and you can gain the prestige levels, as well as the  prestige points.  SMILEY

Old 05-15-2012, 01:00 PM   #106
Tylia

Loremaster

d1anaw wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

erk48188 wrote:

You are not "forced" to do anything. One of the things I hate most about raiding is the incredible arrogance associated with those who do raid, this being a prime example of that. I am not going to choose to be in your raid, you are not going to choose to have me there, so why do you care how I allocate my time to level and what I prioritize?

Excuse me, but you have made it ABUNDANTLY clear in your posts that you do not raid and you despise everything about raiding and raiders.  So, why do YOU care that I do not want to have to raid with someone who does not have enough AA's?  That is not arrogance, it is not "elitist".  It is simply me 'playing my way' (as you are so fond of quoting for yourself), and my way is not to play with those who choose to not bother with obtaining enough AA's to be an asset to the raid force I am participating in.  I really could care less how you play, what you do, or what you prioritize, unless you decide that you want to be a part of a raid that I am in.  At that point, you become a part of MY playstyle and time, and would not want to be forced to waste that time with an unprepared player.  SMILEY

Old 05-15-2012, 01:02 PM   #107
Bloodrage

Master

This arguement is pointless. Everyone who wants this requirement all say the same thing basing their entire arguement on "carrying people" in groups/raids & the content being oh so hard that the EVERY group/raid member should be REQUIRED to have once optional AA because the game is just OH SO HARD that it is REQUIRED & that anyone who does not want this requirement is lazy or wants to be "carried". This is simply false & misleading information. No content is NOT hard at all & hasn't been challenging since RoK. Since then it has only been gear checks. You must have this required stat to win. RoK instances/raiding and all of the great content before that did not have these silly checks/requirements and the game was booming & very fun back then. How is it today? lol

AA should not be forced on people to level. If the devs feel the AA abilities are REQUIRED for the content (in which they are not people just WANT others to have it) then they should have made these abilities into spell/combat arts that the class gets as they level. Another option would be for them to fix the amount of AA needed to get to 280AA. Lowering it was not enough. It should be balanced with how fast you can level from 1-90. If a new player can quest their way to 90 in a week or two they doing it the good ole fasion slow way without being PL'd they shouldn't make it to 90 with 150AA then be like oh hey... I spent all this time solo because no one ever groups at lower levels and now that I finally got up to be able to play with others, I am not allowed to level. Now I need to go quest for 7%aa per turn in or grind mobs for hours, days, weeks (depending on how much they play) to get to 280aa then MAYBE I will be able to play with others.

You think that everyone who doesn't want this requirement is lazy or wants to be carried as I stated earlier... you are wrong. This requirement does not affect me in any way. It does however affect many other people in many ways. When people are at the top they like to forget about those not yet there because it is in their best interest and everyone is greedy. People who don't have AA generally don't have gear, back when I would form groups for EoW HM I would simply ask the person if they were geared for the zone. Do you have the crit mit? Do you have the crit chance? I mean... why is it so hard for players to communicate with eachother that SoE has to put in annoying requirements that help some people and hurt others? People say "oh you can do the solo content at 90 and for no reason since you can't use the gear til 91+" well yeah you can also do zones the way they have been done for over a decade without requirements on leveling.

Someone earlier said "You are not "forced" to do anything. One of the things I hate most about raiding is the incredible arrogance associated with those who do raid, this being a prime example of that. I am not going to choose to be in your raid, you are not going to choose to have me there, so why do you care how I allocate my time to level and what I prioritize?"

Well said^

Bloodrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:02 PM   #108
LadyMist

Loremaster

I don't see a need to remove the 280 aa requirement. I think is a fantastic thing! The only peopl I see whining about it are the ones who Pl'd and now are paying the price of "oh no I have to hunt a little on my own now" to get to the new 2 levels

I am not a raider, true. I have too busy of a rl to conceive of it. How ever Nothing stopped me from doing withered land and skyshrine quests. I solo heal lyceum easily on my fury with only 260 aa. Yes that means I am 90.

So common and heroic content is Just fine the way it is. I agree the 280 aa requirement seems to be aimed at that hardmode raid stuff. This is Not WoW you shouldnt have everything handed to you on a spoon, holy cow it practically already is with chronos, mentors and mercs. In order for you to survive this new intended raid stuff you need the minimum aa for it as it was designed for. Go out for 2 days and Get it. If I can ANYONE can

Old 05-15-2012, 01:03 PM   #109
Mathrim

Loremaster

d1anaw wrote:

Why should it bother you if we choose to focus on level rather than AA, especially for those of us who were at max level before the AA came out? It doesn't affect your game in any way if I should get to 92 without ::::gasp:::: 280AA.

Yes it does effect our game.  The developers even point blank said so and the quote from them is above.

They can no longer design content properly to be balanced against people with 100 AA and people with 320 AA. There is THAT much of a difference in power/abilities between the 2.

What do you not understand about this concept?

If developers design the content to appease to the level 92 with 100AA, then the level 92 with 320AA is going to be absolutely bored to death with the lack of challenge. This isn't about gear. This is about what developers are capable of doing and adding into scripts based off of what abilities people have been granted when they reach 280 AA's.

Designing for the lower common demoninator drags us all down to that level and the developers did not want to do that.

This isn't hard to understand.

Old 05-15-2012, 01:03 PM   #110
Rageincarnate
Server: Unrest
Guild: Vindication

Loremaster

d1anaw wrote:

General_Info wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

That and it is easier to balance the classes at that tier rather then having to take in account drastic differences in AAs by the high and low end of the AA spectrum in the players base they only have to work under the range of 280-320AAs.

It's not hard to get AAs at all you just need time and think about it having 280AAs req may slow down people getting raid ready but the groups will be far more stable as a whole in the long term.

Some of us actually have jobs and families and lives outside of video games. Regardless, we are entitled to play the way we choose to play since it is our money and our time (however limited) to spend as we like. This expansion was hailed as a "play your way" and that is what we should be able to do without the artificial barriers. Why should it bother you if we choose to focus on level rather than AA, especially for those of us who were at max level before the AA came out? It doesn't affect your game in any way if I should get to 92 without ::::gasp:::: 280AA.

You know the answer.  Your ignoring it.

The dev's have flat out said, you can't do your job in this content unless you have your aa.  AA are a integral part of your toon.

You can ask all you like, but it is not going to change.

Rageincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:11 PM   #111
Tylia

Loremaster

d1anaw wrote:

General_Info wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

It amazes me how often you use that "excuse", as if you (and those who post things you agree with) are the only player that has a job, a family, and a life outside of games.  Please, get over yourself.  I could always use your logic and state that "some of us actually have jobs and families and lives outside of video games and still manage to level multiple characters to 90 / 90 / 320 / 450 / 450, as well as solo, group and raid".   How does that work for ya?  SMILEY

Old 05-15-2012, 01:22 PM   #112
Lempo

Loremaster

gourdon wrote:

I think Gravy has a legitimate argument regarding being limited from level 91 & 92 equipment.  Characters that are at well below 280 AAs can earn it and are blocked from gaining levels so they can wear it.  It would have been better to just include the number of AAs someone has on their inspect stat sheet, and have a minimum in dungeon finder when it includes Velious2, to fix the PUG situation.

Don't stop there though.

When you join a group your spells and AA spec should be viewable by every person in that group. It should also display the # of unadorned slots on gear, just something like 19/46 slots adorned so they can immediately be kicked and the group can find a replacement.

Generally it is easy enough to inspect health/power to see if the person is decently geared, at least to where they are not wearing a bunch of SF rags that they got by going into any of the SF instances and letting whatever merc thay picked kill all the mobs while they grab the loot from chests.

Somewhere in Norrath a guild is about to dissolve.
Lempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:25 PM   #113
Onorem

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

d1anaw wrote:

General_Info wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

It amazes me how often you use that "excuse", as if you (and those who post things you agree with) are the only player that has a job, a family, and a life outside of games.  Please, get over yourself.  I could always use your logic and state that "some of us actually have jobs and families and lives outside of video games and still manage to level multiple characters to 90 / 90 / 320 / 450 / 450, as well as solo, group and raid".   How does that work for ya? 

Exactly...and to the woe is me, I already was max level when AA came out nonsense...You have had over 6 YEARS to catch up to that horrible, horrible disadvantage...

Old 05-15-2012, 01:32 PM   #114
CoLD MeTaL

Loremaster

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

CoLD MeTaL wrote:

we traded one for the other along with the insane Hell levels of 91 and 92.  It's meant to force you to stop 'playing' and get to grinding, because raid forces dont' want 'players' they want min/maxers.  Everything is designed to please raiders, this is just one more notch on the ratchet.

I actually would like to know how many AP a free to play Silver account has at level 90 at the end of Eastern Wastes questline if they faithfully follow the Golden Path to 90. Yes you are being told with a quest that you need 280 AP to continue but if there are no hints that you should go back and do old content I think it is fair to say that many people will be really upset. Getting a group to do the DOV1 instances will probably be impossible in a month or so, it is hard now.

Personally I think it is good, the options for new players to 90 should be explained better.

Secondly will people who starts in DoV2 this summer or autumn even get groups so they can do the access quests or will that be an upcoming nerf like crit mit removal?

I do not have anything that followed the "golden path", but since AA was never required and the slider defaulted to zero most people leveled to 90 without a thought of AA, 'playing the game' normally questing etc will notget you 280 AA at 90.

First: The grouping penalty needs to go and now.  I refuse to accept other people in my group when grinding because it means less for me, and I feel like a horses petute for not letting them group with me and pulling the level around them.  But this is the way $OE has declared by their actions that they want us to play.

I am not opposed to the 280 req to level to 92, I just wish questing etc was a viable way to get to 280.  Since I accepted that moloing sebelis (or Mistmoore if Seb is crowded, slower but less used) is the way to level I have 8 92/320s and the alt army marches on.  This of course is easier for tanks with healer mercs and healers with tank mercs, pure dps and bards are a little trickier and you sometimes have to have a trio which slows the XP WAAYYYY down.  In a game called Ever"QUEST", that is just a dumb mechanic.  Of course now they will nerf Seb, but you get more from 1 heroic mob in SS than 1 entire solo quest in WL, and that still is just wrong.  My beef is with quest XP at the moment.  Even if $OE didn't require 280aa, min/maxers would to raid/group so the 280aa argument is inherently pointless.  The playerbase was already requireing that + gear to do anything (On my server Guk).  I also love that mobs drop gear instead of shards though.  The shard thing was a huge mistake.  On Guk very few people will take a 90 in SS to do anything, so i box the contested areas but the XP is super slow compared to Seb.  Also tried boxing Kael but the mobs in there hit far harder than SkyShrine mobs and the xp is lower than SS and again far far slower than Seb.

Old 05-15-2012, 01:54 PM   #115
Lempo

Loremaster

[email protected]_old wrote:

Anyone who isn't 92 is purely because they are a completely new player or they are absolutely not trying. Period.

I didn't grind a single fight to get my toons to 92. I did the the access quest timeline from start to finish with friends and got 91.5. I then stepped out to Withering Lands and finished the rest questing molo in under an hour.

Thats level 90 to 92 in less than 8 hours without even breaking a sweat. Quit acting like this is some impossible feat that only superhero's can complete.

Pretty much sums it up. I did the same on my troubador in a 3 bard group we smoked through the access quests up to UD where I was 91 with about 30% prob because I had only 60% vet bonus for max toons, (actually non max and that needs to be changed too)

Somewhere in Norrath a guild is about to dissolve.
Lempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:54 PM   #116
Koleg
Server: Unrest_old

Lord

CoLD MeTaL wrote:

I do not have anything that followed the "golden path", but since AA was never required and the slider defaulted to zero most people leveled to 90 without a thought of AA, 'playing the game' normally questing etc will notget you 280 AA at 90.

First: The grouping penalty needs to go and now.  I refuse to accept other people in my group when grinding because it means less for me, and I feel like a horses petute for not letting them group with me and pulling the level around them.  But this is the way $OE has declared by their actions that they want us to play.

I am not opposed to the 280 req to level to 92, I just wish questing etc was a viable way to get to 280.  Since I accepted that moloing sebelis (or Mistmoore if Seb is crowded, slower but less used) is the way to level I have 8 92/320s and the alt army marches on.  This of course is easier for tanks with healer mercs and healers with tank mercs, pure dps and bards are a little trickier and you sometimes have to have a trio which slows the XP WAAYYYY down.  In a game called Ever"QUEST", that is just a dumb mechanic.  Of course now they will nerf Seb, but you get more from 1 heroic mob in SS than 1 entire solo quest in WL, and that still is just wrong.  My beef is with quest XP at the moment.  Even if $OE didn't require 280aa, min/maxers would to raid/group so the 280aa argument is inherently pointless.  The playerbase was already requireing that + gear to do anything (On my server Guk).  I also love that mobs drop gear instead of shards though.  The shard thing was a huge mistake.  On Guk very few people will take a 90 in SS to do anything, so i box the contested areas but the XP is super slow compared to Seb.  Also tried boxing Kael but the mobs in there hit far harder than SkyShrine mobs and the xp is lower than SS and again far far slower than Seb.

My very first toon leveled up reached 90/250 before ever leaving KUNARK and 90/300 before ever finishing the majority of the quests in SF.  Never did that toon "grind", it was questing and killing while questing that gained all of those AA.  EverQUEST held true to its name with my quest counter somewhere around 2200/6000+.  There are plenty of quests out there to reach 250 or 300 or 320; probably 5 times more than is needed to reach those levels in AA/Adventuring.

As for the slider being defaulted to zero... Maybe on your first toon before mechanics were understood , you might not change it... Maybe on your second toon... But by the time you leveled 8+ toons you should have realized more of the game mechanics than just a default setup.

Koleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:08 PM   #117
Mathrim

Loremaster

Bloodrage wrote:

AA should not be forced on people to level. If the devs feel the AA abilities are REQUIRED for the content (in which they are not people just WANT others to have it) then they should have made these abilities into spell/combat arts that the class gets as they level. 

For someone who spouts off about how easy raiding is, that it takes no skill whatsoever, and claims to have cleared all of Drunder Hard Mode and is working on PoW, you seem to have a really warped view on how much benefit AA has to character power in todays game. Every raiding guild in game knows the difference in power that a toon with 100 AA and a toon with 320 AA make in clearing content.

Theres a reason that every raid guild working on progression content requires max AA. They know it matters.

Kind of strange that someone who claims to be in an end game raid guild can completely deny the fact that content difficulty is influenced by AA.

If you really are in an end game PoW guild, why don't you all reset your AA's and put only 100 points into your trees. Come back and tell me how well that works out for you.

Old 05-15-2012, 02:15 PM   #118
LordPazuzu

Loremaster

This is no different than putting a level req on content.

AA stands for Alternate Advancement, as in a form of advancement that's not character level.  It doesn't stand for OPTIONAL Advancement as so many seem to think it does.  Leveling is easy and only gets you through the door in terms of the character vs mob math.  The bulk of non-gear related character advancement is contained in those AA trees. 

"Play Your Way" doesn't mean all play styles and strategies are equally viable.  Such a thing is impossible.  SOE hasn't changed anything mechanically here. They've added a new dimension to the endgame and have, for possibly the first time ever, unequivocally stated exactly what's needed and what they've balanced the content for.  I applaud them.

LordPazuzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:39 PM   #119
Bloodrage

Master

Bloodrage wrote:

AA should not be forced on people to level. If the devs feel the AA abilities are REQUIRED for the content (in which they are not people just WANT others to have it) then they should have made these abilities into spell/combat arts that the class gets as they level. 

For someone who spouts off about how easy raiding is, that it takes no skill whatsoever, and claims to have cleared all of Drunder Hard Mode and is working on PoW, you seem to have a really warped view on how much benefit AA has to character power in todays game. Every raiding guild in game knows the difference in power that a toon with 100 AA and a toon with 320 AA make in clearing content.

Theres a reason that every raid guild working on progression content requires max AA. They know it matters.

Kind of strange that someone who claims to be in an end game raid guild can completely deny the fact that content difficulty is influenced by AA.

If you really are in an end game PoW guild, why don't you all reset your AA's and put only 100 points into your trees. Come back and tell me how well that works out for you.

I really am almost lost for words... how many times do I have to say that I completely understand how important AA are for RAIDING & for doing the harder group/instance content. NOT EVERYONE WANTS TO RAID! The standard for playing/grouping in this game SHOULD NOT BE SET BY RAIDERS! Raid guilds have their own personally standards/preferences for people that want to join/raid with them & their requirements should not be forced on everyone else. You are not forced to group/raid with anyone, it is your decision. 280aa is not required for clearing skyshrine content or any other content. It makes it easier, yes, but no you will not fail the zone if one person isn't up to par.

People should thrive to make their toon as good as possible and get to max aa as fast as possible imo, but no one should control someone else's gameplay. If they are slacking on AA for whatever reason they should not be forced into a grindfest of aa to level up. You are not forced to let them in your group. Stop being so concerned with what everyone else does with their time in game. Anyone who is not new to a server knows who they want in their groups and who not to invite. Even when inviting someone you never heard of you can pretty much tell if they are geared for the zone you are doing immediately as soon as you mouse over their toon in the group window. Generally people who do not have gear do not have aa. You don't see many raid geared or heroic group instance geared players with 100aa.

Edit: And yes I am aware SoE will not reverse their decision on this. They never change anything they butcher in this game, just like pvp & bgs. Either keep making it worse or abandon it.

Bloodrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:41 PM   #120
CoLD MeTaL

Loremaster

CoLD MeTaL wrote:

My very first toon leveled up reached 90/250 before ever leaving KUNARK and 90/300 before ever finishing the majority of the quests in SF.  Never did that toon "grind", it was questing and killing while questing that gained all of those AA.  EverQUEST held true to its name with my quest counter somewhere around 2200/6000+.  There are plenty of quests out there to reach 250 or 300 or 320; probably 5 times more than is needed to reach those levels in AA/Adventuring.

As for the slider being defaulted to zero... Maybe on your first toon before mechanics were understood , you might not change it... Maybe on your second toon... But by the time you leveled 8+ toons you should have realized more of the game mechanics than just a default setup.

I had 8+ max level characters BEFORE AA WAS Created and even more max level chars BEFORE THE SLIDER was created.  Some of us have been playing since 2004.

The problem is a single solo quest in WL takes 3+ minutes where as a single mob in Sebelis gives the same amount XP in a fraction of a second.