EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > Station Forums > Player Studio Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-15-2013, 02:40 PM   #1
rollenzekson

Happy Camper

My shield was rejected as invalid.

It has as follows

OBJ

color map

spec map

normal map

txt

and JPEG

It's the same way I have submitted things a hundred times and it was marked as invalid. I opened up the obj in max again and it is below 400 polys (392). I says something about optional files (optional mesh for L1 and optional fresnal map file which might be the issue).

rollenzekson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:57 PM   #2
Covic

Developer

Looking into it now.

Dave

Covic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:57 PM   #3
Covic

Developer

Is the item for EQ1?

Old 03-15-2013, 03:33 PM   #4
Covic

Developer

whats the file name of your obj?

Old 03-15-2013, 04:55 PM   #5
rollenzekson

Happy Camper

Kahnigit for eq2

Old 03-15-2013, 05:23 PM   #6
Covic

Developer

rollenzekson wrote:

Kahnigit for eq2

The file validation will be looking for kahnigit_L0 or it will not go through without the _L0 at the end.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:07 PM   #7
rollenzekson

Happy Camper

You changed things on me and I didn't notice. Sorry I was up all night waiting for fableds on the progression server and started working on the model once the good fabelds didn't arrive.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:20 PM   #8
rollenzekson

Happy Camper

OK Shield-Kahnigit.zip was accepted as valid using the new format. Sorry for the confusion. Speaking of confusion the submission page says max 1000 for _L0, but _L1 if > 500
Old 03-15-2013, 09:19 PM   #9
Covic

Developer

The shield geo looks much better.  Color map is good, could use some overlays of dirt and rust to add some texture to it.  Spec is good, but you will not get any reflection from the center of the shield that is in black.

The normal map looks off.  I think there may have been a misinterpretation of making a unique normal map.  Sorry about that.  The way you were converting it before was correct just the source you were converting from was wrong.  So you basically make a nice black and white bump or displacement map with items that protrude closer to white, then areas that recede closer to black.  Then convert that map. 

Dave

Old 03-15-2013, 10:58 PM   #10
rollenzekson

Happy Camper

That was so easy and will be time saving and much cleaner. http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/.../Kahnigit_n.jpg This is just a quick test, but you can see the left side is much cleaner and I don't get that nasty shadow ridge from beveling. THANK YOU COVIC, YOU ROCK!
Old 03-16-2013, 12:01 AM   #11
Eden_Evergreen

Happy Camper

Yes, he does. *nod nod* SMILEY And grats, Rollen, on getting your submission in at last!
Eden_Evergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:09 AM   #12
rollenzekson

Happy Camper

Thanks. I think the issue with my posting on my PC has to do with the new internet explorer.
Old 03-16-2013, 03:33 AM   #13
Covic

Developer

rollenzekson wrote:

That was so easy and will be time saving and much cleaner. http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/.../Kahnigit_n.jpg This is just a quick test, but you can see the left side is much cleaner and I don't get that nasty shadow ridge from beveling. THANK YOU COVIC, YOU ROCK!

Ok that is looking much better.  I am not at work to test it though.  I will check monday.  One thing to look at is the bolts or rivets.  If they are rounded rivets then they should look like round balls on the normal map, right now they kinda look like screw head.  You can get a nice rounded look by making a white circle then adding an inner shadow.  Adjust the shadow till it just touchs the inner part of the circle.  Then convert that map to a normal map. 

The best way is always to do a surface sample from a high res geo to a low res but that is a little harder to explain.   Once we have the new forums I do plan on doing some video tutorials too.  Although most of what I talk about can all ready be found on the net.

By the way you rock for being always willing to make iterations to improve your art.  I know sometimes it can be a pain and you just want to go onto something else, so I thank you for making the changes.

Dave

Old 03-16-2013, 10:13 AM   #14
rollenzekson

Happy Camper

It is a pain on one hand, but no pain no gain right? If it was super easy then everybody would be doing it and you would be out of a job (no offense meant).  

I know about the technique of using a high poly object to make a normal map for a low poly object and I do want to start doing that in the near future. It's just another invisible bridge I need to throw some sand on and take the first step. I am making my custom runes and symbols in max already.

With the rivets I was trying to mimic what you have on the example shield to see how those works out. I still like how I use contour settings to make my rivets though. I hope they translate well into the game engine. On the shield of runes I just remade I used a combination of both methods.

BTW what is an SOE employee doing working after hours from home on a Friday no less? I commend thee sir! I thought y'all worked from 11 to 1 on Fridays with a 90 minute break for lunch. :p

Old 03-16-2013, 03:24 PM   #15
Eden_Evergreen

Happy Camper

I would guess that Mr. "Covic" has long been one of the "go to" and / or training people, either officially or unofficially. I had a similar unoffical segment to my job description at one of the places where I used to work.

Now it seems SOE has tasked him with getting us all up to speed, after which we get to "pay it forward." SMILEY

Here's hoping we can all do our part as well as he does his, when our turn comes!

Old 03-16-2013, 06:56 PM   #16
feldon30

SOE Community Council

His profile from 2010:

https://www.everquest2.com/news/art...010&id=3558

feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:27 PM   #17
Eden_Evergreen

Happy Camper

feldon30 wrote:

His profile from 2010:

No lack of enthusiasm there - that's always good to see. SMILEY

Interesting tip at the end.

I used to do fairly well with clay, back when I was younger. My ceramics prof once highly complimented one of my slip-inlay pinch pots (I did a lot of those back then, a tedious process that many artists learn and do barely long enough to finish a project in class, and then abandon) and said that it might possibly pass inspection to go on display (and for sale) at an art museum. I wasn't bold enough to try submitting it, back then. Now I almost wish I had! SMILEY

It really does help to always think of yourself as an art student. Always more to learn, and ways to improve. *nod nod*

I'm old enough now that my hands are increasingly unsteady and my eyesight is beginning to fade. I need to focus on methods of making art that include both a "zoom in" option and an "undo" button.

Another advantage to 3D is that one need not wear any protective gear, nor clean up a mess that covers half (or more) of a room when it's time to take a break or after a project is finished!

Old 03-18-2013, 01:10 AM   #18
Covic

Developer

feldon30 wrote:

His profile from 2010:

Wow I forgot about that.  Well its nice to know my ideas have not really changed in the past years, although I think my art has hopefully improved from what I did back then.  Well Rhoen Theer was pretty awesome, until I got to do Rallos Zek, then Baelon. And now I cant wait to show the new stuff I have been working on lately.  

Also back to Rollen, I really enjoy what I do thats why I am up late on the weekends posting.  I cant really stay away.

Dave

Old 03-18-2013, 01:12 AM   #19
Covic

Developer

Eden_Evergreen wrote:

Another advantage to 3D is that one need not wear any protective gear, nor clean up a mess that covers half (or more) of a room when it's time to take a break or after a project is finished!

Oh yes definately.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:17 AM   #20
rollenzekson

Happy Camper

Covic wrote:

feldon30 wrote:

His profile from 2010:

Wow I forgot about that.  Well its nice to know my ideas have not really changed in the past years, although I think my art has hopefully improved from what I did back then.  Well Rhoen Theer was pretty awesome, until I got to do Rallos Zek, then Baelon. And now I cant wait to show the new stuff I have been working on lately.  

Also back to Rollen, I really enjoy what I do thats why I am up late on the weekends posting.  I cant really stay away.

Dave

I hear you buddy. I find myself checking this board every few hours even if I am working on a model in the very early morning.

As far as my art training goes I didn't do much past finger painting until got my game design degree where game art was part of the program.

Still have to use Chrome to post.....

Old 03-18-2013, 05:11 PM   #21
Covic

Developer

Well I got a shield in from you, but not the shield in this post.  Are you almost done.

Old 03-18-2013, 05:25 PM   #22
rollenzekson

Happy Camper

revised version should be there. let me check

Old 03-18-2013, 05:28 PM   #23
rollenzekson

Happy Camper

I seem to have only posted it to eq1, but just sent it to eq2 as well. Sorry about that. I had the _L0 extension on the name and everything already :p