EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Class Discussion > Mage's Arcanum > Warlock
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-30-2004, 06:49 PM   #1
dear

as above .. should i upgrade my frozen manacles and forget about arcane bindings?
and eh... once we get more spells what should we drop?
i know blaze is our best nuke...

dear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 08:20 PM   #2
Jept

I tried Frozen Manacles a few times but found that the root didn't last nearly as long. I only root when I solo or when I harvest, but with Arcane Bindings I can root and harvest a resource three times and then move on to nest before timer is up on root. Not so with Frozen Manacles, it lasted about one harvest before I started getting hit.
Jept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 08:37 PM   #3
Vertic

You will have to upgrade this spell(arcane bindings) if you wish to root higher level mobs, as you will get a message to the effect of "this spell will not effect this mob".

I havent upgraded mine yet but I plan too.

And yes, Arcane Bindings last a lot longer(sometimes heh) than Frozen Manacles.

Azio
23 Warlock
15 Scholar
Vertic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 09:09 PM   #4
Aza

i usually use frozen mancles for soloing and leave arcane bindings as a backup if frozen gets resistet or breaks to early
Aza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 09:45 PM   #5
Nothin2d

Frozen manacles breaks too early, only time to use that would be within the 1st nuke, maybe get off a dot or 2 then use arcane bindings because it lasts a lot longer. I think Frozen manacles doesn't last as long because it's a nuke/root combo.
Old 11-30-2004, 09:54 PM   #6
Griffinhart

Loremaster

I find Arcane Bindings gets resisted a lot more than FM. I also haven't seen it breaking any quicker. One afternoon I was soloing in Antonica, thorn briars and Crabs, and AB was resisted 17 out of 20 casts. I actually kept a tally. FM almost never is resisted for me.In beta, I did run into a problem where AB wasn't "powerful enough" to land on a target. So, there may be a level limit to what it can land on as well.
Old 11-30-2004, 10:49 PM   #7
Brig

Loremaster

Frozen Manacles at adept1 and as you get up in levels is actually a better root IMHO.   It lasts longer and breaks less often.  At least in my experience although I'm only 24th level atm.  Plus as someone mentioned as bindings greys out, it won't be powerful enough to root stuff.
Brig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 03:05 AM   #8
Tiberi

I use frozen its a better spell overall I have had = success with both spells and breaking early etc.. also I have the adept of both and notice its a better spell overall.
Tiberi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 09:41 AM   #9
Nothin2d

Frozen manacles is good (had a few more tests), I keep arcane on hotkey bar (separate one) just in case frozen manacles breaks early and you don't got it refreshed yet. Good for solo'ing if you use 3 dots wait a lil use frozen manacles, and redot till mob is dead.
Old 12-07-2004, 05:53 AM   #10
Banshye

Loremaster

I'm using FM adept 1 and have not noticed it to break any quicker for me then Arcane Bindings (app3). I can usually root a kodiak or similar, cast my 3 dots and maybe negative absolution before hitting FM again.

If a mob gets on me, I use Freeze to stun them, then FM and back up to DD.

Banshye
70 Wizard, Najena

May the parse be with you...
Banshye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 04:23 PM   #11
Naren

General

Froken manacles casts quicker than arcane and at adept1 seems to last slightly longer. Add that to damage and less resists and it's overall a far better spell.

Having said that i keep Arcane on my third toolbar just incase FM hasnt refreshed. Also if i seem to be getting a lot of breaks i sometimes stack arcane over FM as it seems to lessen the chance of breakage.

Naren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 08:27 PM   #12
D-lirium

Loremaster

I am 24 Warlock and have now removed the spell from my hotbar.
It's easy to get Frozen Manacles Adept 1 and it is alot better than Arcane Bindings.
-casts faster
-bigger chance it will not be resisted
-the higher your level the longer it'll stick

I can often solo whites and yellows without being hit.
D-lirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 09:05 PM   #13
Macibaru

Loremaster

Once I got my subjugation skill high enough that I stopped fizzleing 19/20 times when casting it, I switched to Frozen manacles. Typically though, I tank/nuke when soloing and do not try and root/nuke as I feel it wastes time. If I think the mob is going to be tougher than normal, I lead with FM, then hit it with Freezing Whorl and Incinerate, and might get a single Blaze or Negative Absolution in before root breaks. From there I normally just hit Autoattack and start chain HO/Blazing until they drop. That's just me though.
Old 12-08-2004, 12:31 PM   #14
Zilri

Level 30 warlock, and when soloing (which I only do while waiting for a group in EL SMILEY)I only use frozen manacles, then dot the monster and sit down and wait, if it breaks i quickly throw freeze (quick stun) and throw the root spell again SMILEY takes some time, but atleast thoose level 34crabs wont hit me ^.^
Old 12-08-2004, 10:08 PM   #15
valuthorr

Zilrion
I jsut got it at level 19 sorcerer last night --  have adept 1
what level did you start using this technique?
valuthorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 02:29 PM   #16
Zilri

when I got the steal breath spell, which is a more powerfull dot (adept 1 version, quite common drop). It hits from 50-70 + the additional incarnate dot (20-30 a tick)
Old 12-17-2004, 11:35 PM   #17
thus

Do we get Something more in line with our Chars at Higher LvlsI mean something more along the lines of Poison or Desease...Better yet a Curse that RootsFM is more Elemental ...Kinda Huffs in a rolplaying sense Thusilum Wannabe Warlock LVL 13 Oasis
thus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 12:04 AM   #18
dmitya

Loremaster

Frozen manacler here.
dmitya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 06:01 AM   #19
Jame

Read the patch notes for the test server for the big patch coming up. Frozen Mentacles is getting it's root duration increased.
Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 02:12 PM   #20
Rendakor

Loremaster

In response to the 'do we get a root more in line with our class' question, the answer is yes, kinda. Paralyzing Fear, at level 33, isn't quite poison/disease but its better than ice SMILEY. It roots the enemy but breaks instantly when the enemy takes damage. Also, when the root breaks, there is (according to the desc) a small chance to fear the enemy. In my experience with the app2 version, the fear occurs about 60% of the time. Still only sees use soloing... Paralyzing Fear>Curse of Emptiness (or darkness if you dont have emptyness yet)>Curse of Null>Freezing Manacles>Dots>DDsbreaking one with another works out pretty well, and you can tell if they're feared by seeing if they run toward you or away in that 2 sec. period before FM roots them.

80 Brigand/80 Armorer/400 Tinkerer

Rendakor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 08:25 PM   #21
Supafroi

General

I have ad3 Menacles and since I made it , i havent touched the newb root. Plus once you get into t3, alot of mobs wont be affected by the newby root.
Old 12-28-2004, 07:02 PM   #22
R

I didn't see if someone posted this, but just as an fyi arcane bindings app3 caps at lvl 23 mobs.  It won't even let you cast on anything higher than lvl 23, i just hit lvl 25 so removed it from my hotbar.  Useful when soloing the lvl 23 mobs and under by starting out with it. 

Radiur
25th Warlock
Unrest Server