EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-24-2012, 03:17 PM   #1
Brigh

Loremaster

Wizard: Logged out (hasn't left as only been doing tradeskill daily for two weeks) in GH or prestige home. Logged in after patch in G-D.

Monk (as well as Paladin, last known remembered location was in NQ/NQ inn) on Nagafen: Logged out in his home in SQ after doing daily TS. I see at character select it says he is in Thundering Steppes. This I hate more than the rest as being a PvP server laden with plat for doing the TS daily (and only logging in for that reason).

Conj: Logged out in GH or Prestige home after daily TS. Logged back in to Thundering Steppes.

Berserker: Logged out in GH or Prestige, in Thundering Steppes.

Bst: Logged out I thought a few weeks ago in GH, shows being in Antonica.

I had two I expected to be moved as they logged out in the TS instances in Nettleville/Starcrest Commune. They are in Thundering Steppes.

Not all characters logged out in prestige homes wound up in other places. One is still in his Everfrost home.

-Stephen Colbert

CoD3 double XP Rank Up promotion lesson for kids
Brigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:31 PM   #2
Mermut

Loremaster

Most of my characters were spread out too. Skyshrine, Lesser Faydark, Thundering Steppes, Loping Plains, Eastern Wastes..

Old 07-24-2012, 11:26 PM   #3
S1lence

Loremaster

This was profitable on Nagafen with all of the raid geared players who logged in with lots of plat after the adornment refunds, they couldnt even fight back because their screens were covered with all the refund popups

S1lence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:30 PM   #4
Iad

Loremaster

Oh SoE. lol

Iad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:14 AM   #5
Avianna
Server: Butcherblock
Guild: Ronin

Loremaster

Did you guys not get the memo? Official Norrithian kegger was held for all toon during down time and many got so drunk they lost their way home.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:12 AM   #6
The_Cheeseman

Loremaster

If you were in an instanced housing zone (or guild hall), it shunted you out to the last public zone you exited from. If for whatever reason the game couldn't determine where to put you, it dumps you at the docks in TS (not sure why they decided on that spot, but it's been that way for years).

Old 07-25-2012, 12:11 PM   #7
Rogue4Life

Lord

Perhaps a safety thing so people don't get stuck in Guild Halls again...

Old 07-25-2012, 06:27 PM   #8
Kasar

Loremaster

Sounds like the old Asteroids-type hyperspace. 

I'd use a consumable item that would do that.. dropped in some random location anywhere in Norrath.

Kasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:58 PM   #9
Frijoles
Server: Oasis
Guild: Destined for Glory

Loremaster

Brigh wrote:

"Uh why are half my characters spread across Norrath upon login?"

All my toons in Qeynos before GU 64 were in Thundering Steppes on the dock, afterword.

Judging by the crowd I found on the dock in Thundering Steppes, upon logging my guys in, I'd say everyone who had toons camped anywhere in Qeynos experienced the same thing.

Qeynos Rises. 

Frijoles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:33 PM   #10
Jrral

Loremaster

Probably to do with the city zone change. When they changed Qeynos, they have to remove the 4 main city zones plus the suburbs and replace them with the new zone. My guess is to do that they have to spin down any instanced zones (housing or guild halls) connected to those zones to change the connections, resulting in anyone in them being kicked out into the "parent" zone. Which doesn't exist anymore. Oops. Since the server can't put them outside the world, it does some sort of backtrack to find a valid zone it can put them in and drops them there.

One of mine popped up at the TS docks. Another, who'd zoned back to the guild hall straight out of UD, ended up in Skyshrine. The final zone's probably related to character zoning history, probably with a fallback "known safe" zone in case the character's history doesn't yield a valid zone.

Jrral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:50 PM   #11
Vellisse
Server: Antonia Bayle

Loremaster

Kasar wrote:

I'd use a consumable item that would do that.. dropped in some random location anywhere in Norrath.

Cool idea!

I'd use the item and then run all the dungeons/whatever in the zone and it'd keep me busy for at least a bit.

Old 07-26-2012, 02:44 AM   #12
Brigh

Loremaster

People seem to have missed the fact that the Everfrost summer home was not affected, nor where any of the New Halas homes, so it was not purely a 100% housing issue. You also forget that if you don't pay your rent yet are camped in your home it kicks you outside or you wind up in the touring home and have to exit. There is no reason to wind up in TS when you are not in a village inn/ts instance/village.

-Stephen Colbert

Old 07-26-2012, 03:01 AM   #13
Frijoles
Server: Oasis
Guild: Destined for Glory

Loremaster

Brigh wrote:

People seem to have missed the fact that the Everfrost summer home was not affected, nor where any of the New Halas homes, so it was not purely a 100% housing issue. You also forget that if you don't pay your rent yet are camped in your home it kicks you outside or you wind up in the touring home and have to exit. There is no reason to wind up in TS when you are not in a village inn/ts instance/village.

Where are the prestige homes you referenced, Brigh? Not in Qeynos (and the access portal in SQ doesn't make it so).

I think you're the one who's missed the point: every year when Frostfell is shut down, any toons camped in either FF Wonderland or Icy Keep get booted to TS. Why? Perhaps because it's been designated as the landing zone for those toons camped out in zones that NO LONGER exist.

The point being, that when the time came to pull the plug on Qeynos for 'Qeynos Rising,' ALL toons who were camped in Qeynos (or Qeynosian housing), needed a place to 'go'. Thundering Steppes (as I indicated previosly) seems to have been designated as the 'catch' zone for those PC's (as is the case after Frostfell every year).

You're right - it isn't a housing issue.

Frijoles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:40 AM   #14
Freejazzlive

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

I think you're the one who's missed the point: every year when Frostfell is shut down, any toons camped in either FF Wonderland or Icy Keep get booted to TS. Why? Perhaps because it's been designated as the landing zone for those toons camped out in zones that NO LONGER exist.

The point that needs to be made is that the Thundering Steppes docks are not the best place to designate as a "drop off" zone, especially when you're talking about PvP servers. It would have made just as much sense to drop people right outside the SQ or NQ gates, instead.

Golgi Apparati, Swashbuckler of Freeport

Aheedi Adaephon, Warlock of Freeport
Freejazzlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:23 PM   #15
Brigh

Loremaster

I petitioned to have my two Nagafen characters moved and they were. I have been only really logging in these days to do the TS daily, so was keeping enough gold on myself to grab fuel.

-Stephen Colbert

Old 07-26-2012, 06:16 PM   #16
The_Cheeseman

Loremaster

Freejazzlive wrote:

The point that needs to be made is that the Thundering Steppes docks are not the best place to designate as a "drop off" zone, especially when you're talking about PvP servers. It would have made just as much sense to drop people right outside the SQ or NQ gates, instead.

Thundering Steppes has been the default "drop off" point for years, possibly since launch. It makes no more sense to drop people outside of Qeynos gates than it would to drop them in front of the Freeport gates. Very likely that point was chosen because it's neutral territory, and TS never required an access quest to reach.

Old 07-26-2012, 06:49 PM   #17
Freejazzlive

Loremaster

The_Cheeseman wrote:

It makes no more sense to drop people outside of Qeynos gates

We're talking about placing people who were formerly in Qeynos zones, which now no longer exist. Yes, in that context, it makes all the sense in the world to put them at the Qeynos gates. Certainly you wouldn't put them right outside Freeport, would you? & since there's no access quest for being right outside the SQ or NQ Gates, whether or not one existed for TS Docks is irrelevant, as is whether or not the TS Docks are "neutral."

The fact that TS Docks has been the dump-off point for years is not adequate reason to still do so -- "but we've always done it that way" is no excuse.

Old 07-27-2012, 02:29 AM   #18
The_Cheeseman

Loremaster

Why would they invest time in changing the default "drop-off" point when the TS docks work perfectly well? "But we've always done it that way" is a totally adequate reason when the way they've always done it is entirely functional.

Old 07-27-2012, 03:22 AM   #19
Brigh

Loremaster

Getting a little off topic here.

Remember I simply asked why one character in Qeynos in his EF home stayed there while others in non-village locations wound up in TS, and another wound up in the Great Divide.

-Stephen Colbert

Old 07-27-2012, 08:57 PM   #20
Freejazzlive

Loremaster

The_Cheeseman wrote:

Why would they invest time in changing the default "drop-off" point when the TS docks work perfectly well?

Because it makes sense to do so? I dunno, is there a better reason than that it makes sense to change things up when the way they work no longer makes sense?