EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Class Discussion > Fighter's Arena
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-19-2011, 01:35 AM   #241
BChizzle

Loremaster

Honestly I hate mob strikethrough and it never should have been added I would have much preferred they just regulate the amount of uncontested avoidance a class can actually get or just set caps to things if you want a brawler to avoid 10% more you just make sure the brawler class has a 10% higher cap.  They should have just nerfed avoidance rather than put strikethrough into the game and I still don't understand why they don't do it this whole overcapping is just going to get silly and mobs will just basically be hitting for their strikethrough rate.

At the same time brawlers needed and still need strikethrough immunity, unlike claims made we do not in fact have higher mit and it does matter.  On the other hand I would be ok with strikethrough immunity being removed if we were given mit values of plate armor on our leather stuff to offset it otherwise its a joke, how are you going to be an avoidance tank that can't avoid more than a plate and that folks was where we were until SF.

BChizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 03:46 AM   #242
Gungo

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

If you recall the immunity was added as a stopgap measure to make brawlers more viable for tanking. Their relative survivability now no longer warrants it.

I didnt mention it before but strikethrough was added to high end raid npcs well before brawlers got immunity to it. I beleive it first appeared in TSO and brawlers didnt get immunity until SF.

Strikethrough wasnt invented for brawlers AERILIK posted in TSO beta he had a plan to prevent the super high avoidance fighters were getting.

But once strikethrough was put in brawlers got screwed most of our temps at the time were simply avoidance buffs that became useless on avatar fights with npcs strikethroughing 20% of the time.

Overall i like your idea instead of strikethrough where it is simply a reduction of your avoidance rather then a % chance to auto hit. Its not going to happen for some time so hopefully this change helps some but honestly i think the devs will need to flag death prevents to be unmodifiable across the board anyway.

Gungo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 05:59 PM   #243
circusgirl

Loremaster

I for one am thrilled by the strikethrough changes.  The line of buffs that was giving raid mobs 50% strikethrough was meant to penalize the raid for messing up; it was entirely unfair that the fail mechanic hurt plates more than brawlers.  Strikethrough was the wrong path to take to decrease avoidance, and I'm glad they're backing off from it.

circusgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:08 PM   #244
Dorieon
Server: Guk
Guild: Despair

Loremaster

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

I for one am thrilled by the strikethrough changes.  The line of buffs that was giving raid mobs 50% strikethrough was meant to penalize the raid for messing up; it was entirely unfair that the fail mechanic hurt plates more than brawlers.  Strikethrough was the wrong path to take to decrease avoidance, and I'm glad they're backing off from it.

I totally agree.

I do find it funny that strikethrough itself was added to combat plate tanks ever increasing uncontested avoidance, which then really screwed brawlers for an entire xpac.

Then brawlers gain strikethrough immunity which evens things out a bit. But then the next xpac they add even more strikethrough to mobs which finally has their desired effect on plate tanks but also makes brawlers even more viable.

Just goes to show that the future mechanics planning at SoE is still running strong as ever.

Dorieon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:29 PM   #245
circusgirl

Loremaster

If the goal was to decrease plate tanks avoidance, they should have just decreased the protection values on shields, not create an entirely new mechanic.  If they wanted to decrease avoidance across the board, they could have itemized less block chance.  Strikethrough should never have happened.

circusgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:17 PM   #246
Talathion
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Cladire Mortii

Loremaster

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

If the goal was to decrease plate tanks avoidance, they should have just decreased the protection values on shields, not create an entirely new mechanic.  If they wanted to decrease avoidance across the board, they could have itemized less block chance.  Strikethrough should never have happened.

Shields should not give avoidance at all, they should reduce damage.

Talathion is offline   Reply With Quote