EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-12-2009, 03:41 PM   #1
Kahling
Server: Kithicor
Guild: Legion of Steel

Loremaster

Hi,

I was just wondering what this means if you buy the box rather than pre order the digital release (digital release is due 23rd of Feb)

Does this mean if you buy the box from the American retailers that you can get it a week earlier and those of us in Europe will have to sit there watching people play the new expansion and levelling for a week before we can download it.

I am in the UK, there doesn't seem to be any option to pre order the box for me?

Regards

Kahling

Kahling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 04:05 PM   #2
Kahling

Loremaster

OK I just re read it all and there are no outlets doing the pre order box on the 16th for Europe.

Amazon state that it cant be shipped outside of America.

So this really does mean that in Europe you have to sit there and watch people play and level for an entire week before you can buy it from DD?

I play on an American server btw.

Old 11-12-2009, 04:25 PM   #3
Kiara

Community Relations

From what I understand, this is not correct.  Amazon and GameStop should both be shipping the retail box out of the country.

I'll check and see.  It's possible that their information is not updated.

Kiara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 04:42 PM   #4
sexieladie

Loremaster

So how is this supposed to work with the up to 7 day advanced play? Looking on amazon and gamestop it doesnt say how they are going to do the code. Also Best Buy doesnt even have the preorders listed yet even though it says it is supposed to
sexieladie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 04:47 PM   #5
tkia

Tester

Kiara wrote:

From what I understand, this is not correct.  Amazon and GameStop should both be shipping the retail box out of the country.

That really isn't going to help international players very much.  If we have to order for international shipping we'll either lose most of the 7 days to box in transit or have to pay double the price for express deliveries.

tkia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 04:48 PM   #6
Gaige

Loremaster

LOL @ the Fan Faire expansion being useless because you can't get the 7 day headstart with it, which means I'll have to preorder the retail version so I can get to 90 during the 7 day headstart.

So lame.

So now the question is, since I only have one account, [Removed for Content] do I do with the free expansion I get for going to Fan Faire? Nothing?

Old 11-12-2009, 05:05 PM   #7
Anestacia

Loremaster

Gaige wrote:

LOL @ the Fan Faire expansion being useless because you can't get the 7 day headstart with it, which means I'll have to preorder the retail version so I can get to 90 during the 7 day headstart.

So lame.

So now the question is, since I only have one account, [Removed for Content] do I do with the free expansion I get for going to Fan Faire? Nothing?

Wondering the same thing here.  This whole idea is absurd anywya but Fan Faire atendees are by far your most hardcore and devoted players and so they are going to have to wait a whole week before playing unless they buy the retail version?  Or is something being done to bypass the wait for atendees?

Old 11-12-2009, 05:07 PM   #8
Tehom

Loremaster

Well, this is certainly one way to absolutely ensure people buy the retail boxes. Yeesh.

Tehom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 05:07 PM   #9
Dollin
Server: Unrest
Guild: Vindication

Loremaster

[Removed for Content]? Buy the box and get in 7 days early? Seriously you're punishing ppl for using  the digital download which has been pushed since the inception of the idea? This just makes me angry because the majority of the stores in my area don't even bother to carry the box'd edition anymore because they can't get them off the shelves.

Theres a lot of ppl in remote locations who don't have access to the stores you're promoting that just arn't able to get a copy of the boxed version of the games. I'd seriously rethink that idea. Last time i checked, i pay the same amount of money for a sub to play as anybody else. Are you going to start issuing 7 days were of credit to those who are unable to access the content available?

I can see this being done with Beta or something like that but not a full [Removed for Content] retail release.

Dollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 05:08 PM   #10
Kiara

Community Relations

Gaige wrote:

So lame.

You assume too much grasshopper!

Fan Faire attendees with accounts in good standing will receive a complimentary digital copy of the retail version.  You will have the early access and items associated with the retail version of the game.  And yes, I waited til you posted so that I could prove you wrong.  Again SMILEY

To answer other questions:  We're looking into Best Buy not having the listing yet.  Amazon and GameStop are shipping overseas.  I'm trying to get a list of the countries that will be shipped to.  Retail boxes ordered online and shipped, SHOULD be shipped in time to arrive on release day to allow people to take advantage of the early access.

Old 11-12-2009, 05:11 PM   #11
Trynnus1

Loremaster

Kiara wrote:

Hi Kiara,

Thank you for checking. No Offense but it takes a couple of days extra for the game to cross the boarder in Canada. It takes time to clear customs unless the shipper pays extra to rush it through.

I suggested in aother thread that looks to be MIA ;/ - Please ship to stores a couple of days earlier so I can get it on or before the 16th too. Just because I have the box and code doesnt mean I can not wait until the 16th to play.

Trynnus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 05:11 PM   #12
Gaige

Loremaster

Kiara wrote:

Fan Faire attendees with accounts in good standing will receive a complimentary digital copy of the retail version.  You will have the early access and items associated with the retail version of the game.  And yes, I waited til you posted so that I could prove you wrong.  Again

Its my new superstition.  I figure if I rant and rave about something then you'll magically appear and tell me the opposite is true thus enabling what I wanted in the first place!

Reverse forum psychology!

Although the whole you getting to prove me wrong thing stings a bit, I must admit.

Old 11-12-2009, 05:11 PM   #13
Meriwyn

Loremaster

Edit: NM Kiara posted while I did. <3 Kiara

Old 11-12-2009, 05:13 PM   #14
hellfire

Loremaster

Kiara wrote:

And yes, I waited til you posted so that I could prove you wrong.  Again

Such pleasure  in owning him...i think its the highlight of your work day  SMILEY

Summoner pets are 1/3 the dps of a summoner and yet our stats and modifiers do not affect them.Since a pet is 1/3 a summoners dps,a summoner receives 2/3 benefit from gear when compared to any other class.

SHARED STATS AND MODIFIERS ARE A MUST!

FIX SUMMONERS IN 08!

FIX SUMMONERS IN 09!

FIX SUMMONERS IN 10!

2011 and Finally we are Fixed!

/Rides off into the sunset
hellfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 05:15 PM   #15
Kiara

Community Relations

[email protected] wrote:

Such pleasure  in owning him...i think its the highlight of your work day 

This is very true.  I absolutely LIVE to prove Gaige wrong SMILEY

Old 11-12-2009, 05:18 PM   #16
Graywindnz

Loremaster

Is there any chance us players in New Zealand and Australia can get this game early? Best retailers would be Mighty Ape (online only) and EB games.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:23 PM   #17
Mystfit

Loremaster

I'm old and forgetful SMILEY I bought a fan faire ticket but didn't actually go. Do I get the expansion for that account?

Old 11-12-2009, 05:28 PM   #18
Lethe5683

Loremaster

Why do this? Buying physical computer games is obsolete and for good reason. I never but physical copies unless that's the only option but now I'll have to wait an entire week while everyone else I know is playing the new expansion?  That's just not right, you could have always just shipped it to retailers early but not let them sell it until the normal release date.

Lethe5683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 05:33 PM   #19
SnoesieQ

Tester

So IF amazon.com decide to change the information they currently have (which clearly states they aren't shipping outside of the U.S.) it will be with their normal shipping rate for games (priority only), around $30, and still takes up to 4 days.

Yippie.

Now, what would be wrong with

allowing people with a non-US credit card and address to get early digital download, since it will be done anyway for the people who went to fanfaire? (obviously, it can be done with a flag in the account system)

I'm sorry for people in the US who can't get to a shop, but you do have the option of having same day delivery if ordering online - the website even states you can have it shipped early so you have it on release date.

SnoesieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 05:33 PM   #20
buffquinn

Loremaster

It would seem if a company wanted to retain an image of being "green" they would be trying to entice people to digital download more, instead of making that option obsolute, and pushing towards the wasteful retail copies.  Also, taking into account their latest push towards streaming download it doesn't make much sense to me.

buffquinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 05:38 PM   #21
Dollin
Server: Unrest
Guild: Vindication

Loremaster

buffquinn wrote:

It would seem if a company wanted to retain an image of being "green" they would be trying to entice people to digital download more, instead of making that option obsolute, and pushing towards the wasteful retail copies.  Also, taking into account their latest push towards streaming download it doesn't make much sense to me.

Lol so true..

Dollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 05:39 PM   #22
Tehom

Loremaster

Lethe5683 wrote:

Why do this? Buying physical computer games is obsolete and for good reason. I never but physical copies unless that's the only option but now I'll have to wait an entire week while everyone else I know is playing the new expansion?  That's just not right, you could have always just shipped it to retailers early but not let them sell it until the normal release date.

From what I've read, my understanding is that retailers are very reluctant to stock copies of a game unless there's a very compelling reason for people not to buy digital versions. So I think this is done really to placate retailers, and just to get more copies on the shelves/sold. If they're doing a big marketing push at the same time, then it'd make sense that they want as many retail copies available as possible. So while it might suck to lose a week if buying digital, I'll be glad if it translates into a lot of new subs for em.

Tehom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 05:40 PM   #23
Lader

Loremaster

meh who cares about going green. i prefer digital because its usually faster than waiting for shipping, but i dont care how i get it.

Old 11-12-2009, 05:42 PM   #24
Obadiah

Loremaster

buffquinn wrote:

I would agree. It's not a big deal to me personally, but it is one of numerous reasons I've always downloaded. Hasn't been a problem because the retail rewards have always been pure fluff, but 7 days. Wow. I mean, that's definitely worth the $6 extra I now have to pay for the game, but it's still irksome to force people into old-fashioned, wasteful methods of purchase. Not to mention even if Amazon and Gamestop are shipping overseas there's even more extra cost (and waste) involved there and do you really believe the Release Date shipping will work ubiquitously, or are most people going to wind up paying more for shipping and still losing 2 or 3 of the 7 days.

Just seems like begging for headaches.

Old 11-12-2009, 05:46 PM   #25
Mörk

Loremaster

Gamestop- $20 shipping to the UK, 3-5 days turnaround.

Less than impressive.

Old 11-12-2009, 05:48 PM   #26
Quicksilver74

Loremaster

Thanks for the info Kiara, and for pwning Gage!   woo hoo!

Quicksilver74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 05:50 PM   #27
Kahling

Loremaster

Kiara wrote:

Gaige wrote:

So lame.

Fan Faire attendees with accounts in good standing will receive a complimentary digital copy of the retail version.  You will have the early access and items associated with the retail version of the game.  And yes, I waited til you posted so that I could prove you wrong.  Again

To answer other questions:  We're looking into Best Buy not having the listing yet.  Amazon and GameStop are shipping overseas.  I'm trying to get a list of the countries that will be shipped to.  Retail boxes ordered online and shipped, SHOULD be shipped in time to arrive on release day to allow people to take advantage of the early access.

Thanks for looking in to it Kiara, the web page I went to at Amazon said it would not ship overseas though.

In all honesty though wouldn't it be better and more cost effective for SOE to just allow digital download on the day that way you don't have to create the boxes etc and it guarantee's that everyone will get it on release date.  Is this set in stone or is it something you could ask for us?

RegardsKahling

Old 11-12-2009, 05:54 PM   #28
Faithlight

Loremaster

YAY for another show of stupidity, this is so so like the SOE we know :

Product Details

• Shipping: Currently, item can be shipped only within the U.S. and to APO/FPO addresses. For APO/FPO shipments, please check with the manufacturer regarding warranty and support issues.
  • ASIN: B002W8XTL0
  • Media: DVD-ROM
  • Release Date: February 16, 2010

And you can see no difference between the $40 and $70 versions on amazon or gamestop.

Faithlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 06:04 PM   #29
Griffinhart

Loremaster

Faithlight wrote:

YAY for another show of stupidity, this is so so like the SOE we know :

Product Details

• Shipping: Currently, item can be shipped only within the U.S. and to APO/FPO addresses. For APO/FPO shipments, please check with the manufacturer regarding warranty and support issues.
  • ASIN: B002W8XTL0
  • Media: DVD-ROM
  • Release Date: February 16, 2010

And you can see no difference between the $40 and $70 versions on amazon or gamestop.

funny... on Amazon under project features for the standard eddition reads:

• Up to a 7-day headstart of gameplay access before the digital release
  • Harness the power of the Guarding of the Reasoned armor piece
  • $10.00 Sentinel's Fate digital download discount coupon for Station Store
  • 500 Station Cash to spend on virtual items
  • Under colectors edition:

• Up to a 7-day headstart of gameplay access before the digital release
    • Blaze a trail with the exclusive Armored Highland Stalker in-game mount as your companion
    • Collectible Armored Highlands Stalker pet figurine
    • Harness the power of the Guarding of the Reasoned armor piece
    • EverCracked! The Phenomenon of EverQuest DVD Documentary
    Old 11-12-2009, 06:11 PM   #30
    Andu

General

I live in the UK. I've tried buying from Amazon.com before. They do not ship to the UK - because they have Amazon.co.uk for that!

So are you getting copies to amazon.co.uk for us to order from them?

This is what we see on the homepage of amazon.com.