EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-12-2009, 06:22 PM   #31
Lethe5683

Loremaster

Can anyone tell me if DVD installed versions require the DVD to play or not? If not than I might actually buy the retail version.
Lethe5683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 06:28 PM   #32
Gormak

Loremaster

Dear Sony.

Well done on loosing a player whos been here since launch. I will not be continuing due to this. You can expect another company to begin taking my money.

I AM NOT an American Resident.

Learn several things from this:

• Your game needs to be inclusive of as many people as possible. Seggregating your players from eachother does nothing to promote your product or enchorage your playerbase.
  • There is a world that exists beyond US borders!! GET IT!

Many people often wonder why Sony has the reputation it does in regard to MMO's. Add this idiocy to the list.

You want people to play your games? Make them widely available to all, not exclude & lockout people.

Goodbye.

Edit:

Actually thinking on this, i think id just advise sony to stop selling your titles outside the US. You dont seem to even acknowledge the market beyond your borders anyway... so why not just eliminate the problem altogether.

Fools.

Gormak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 06:31 PM   #33
Detor

Loremaster

If it encourages retailers to carry more EQ products isn't that good for all of us?  The retailers only care about results, not gestures.  In the past retail got things that the digital didn't, but like people said here - it was fluff and they still bought the digital version instead. If this is the thing that causes retail sales to happen perhaps they will carry more EQ products in the future which means more mindshare and perhaps eventually even more players to group with.

Detor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 06:31 PM   #34
Purr

Tester

Griffinhart wrote:

Snip....

Under colectors edition:

• Up to a 7-day headstart of gameplay access before the digital release
  • Blaze a trail with the exclusive Armored Highland Stalker in-game mount as your companion
  • Collectible Armored Highlands Stalker pet figurine
  • Harness the power of the Guarding of the Reasoned armor piece
  • EverCracked! The Phenomenon of EverQuest DVD Documentary

What's a Highland Stalker? Pix? Kiara?

Can't imagine it being worth $30. Not even if it created a wormhole to let you port to any place in any zone in Norrath.

Purr~

Old 11-12-2009, 06:34 PM   #35
Detor

Loremaster

Lethe5683 wrote:

Can anyone tell me if DVD installed versions require the DVD to play or not? If not than I might actually buy the retail version.

You shouldn't need it.  You should be able to just type the code in, then have the patcher download it.  (let's face it, they change things right up to launch day, so usually the stuff on the DVD has to be patched anyway)

Old 11-12-2009, 06:36 PM   #36
Detor

Loremaster

Purr wrote:

Griffinhart wrote:

Snip....

Under colectors edition:

• Blaze a trail with the exclusive Armored Highland Stalker in-game mount as your companion

Can't imagine it being worth $30. Not even if it created a wormhole to let you port to any place in any zone in Norrath.

Purr~

I think the collectible costs more because of the 'real world collectible figurine' moreso than the in game mount.

Old 11-12-2009, 06:42 PM   #37
Mörk

Loremaster

Kiara wrote:

To answer other questions:  We're looking into Best Buy not having the listing yet.  Amazon and GameStop are shipping overseas.  I'm trying to get a list of the countries that will be shipped to.  Retail boxes ordered online and shipped, SHOULD be shipped in time to arrive on release day to allow people to take advantage of the early access.

Firstly, not true (this from Amazon US):

Important Message

• Everquest II: Sentinel's Fate Collector's Edition cannot be shipped to the selected address.

Secondly, Gamestop claim 1-2 day processing time, 3-5 day shipping. I for one don't wish to pay $89.99 (Collector's Ed., inc. shipping cost to UK) on "SHOULD be", i'd like a guarantee. The main reason i'd preorder EITHER edition is for the 7-day headstart.

Old 11-12-2009, 06:44 PM   #38
Nindor2

Loremaster

This is a joke, right? Please tell me it is. International shipping is almost as much again as the game costs in the first place. I've never been a fan of the "I threaten to resign" stuff, but this is pretty harsh. Also i find your blatant disregard of non US people a bid sad, Kiara. Just telling us to shell out another 30 bucks and hope the game eventually arrives, and shrugging your shoulders is a bit less than i'd expect from a community representative.

I have the option to send it to relatives in the US, download the code somehow and have them give me the key over the phone, but its still very disappointing.

Nindor2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 06:55 PM   #39
Korven

Loremaster

Purr wrote:

Griffinhart wrote:

Purr~

Highland Stalker is the name of the lions wandering the Thundering Steppes, I would assume we are getting some sort of armored lion mount.

http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/Highland_stalker

Old 11-12-2009, 07:00 PM   #40
feldon30

Fansite Staff

Lethe5683 wrote:

I would presume what matters is which product key you use. Whether it's a retail product key or a digital download product key.

feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 07:02 PM   #41
feldon30

Fansite Staff

Nindor2 wrote:

This is a joke, right? Please tell me it is. International shipping is almost as much again as the game costs in the first place. I've never been a fan of the "I threaten to resign" stuff, but this is pretty harsh. Also i find your blatant disregard of non US people a bid sad, Kiara. Just telling us to shell out another 30 bucks and hope the game eventually arrives, and shrugging your shoulders is a bit less than i'd expect from a community representative.

The SoE Marketing Department would like us to hold Kiara accountable for their missteps. But I refuse. I put the blame where it belongs.

While the broad gestures and genuine attempt to get EQ2 into stores is a good thing, already we're seeing issues with the product not being available from retailers outside the U.S. We've seen problems in the past with not communicating the correct Street Date. In fact, SoE should label all boxes of EQ2:SF with no street date at all or an indication to "Sell Immediately".

feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 07:02 PM   #42
Grumble69

Loremaster

Kiara wrote:

Retail boxes ordered online and shipped, SHOULD be shipped in time to arrive on release day to allow people to take advantage of the early access.

So it sounds like you're aiming to release the retail boxes ahead of the early access date.  That's a great idea since I don't have to drive to the next town to get it (45min away).  Do you have a sense as to how many days beforehand that will be?  I'm in the US.  But it would be nice if we didn't have to pay the exorbitant overnight shipping and go with something in the 3-5 day range.

I'm a little disappointed that the mount only appears in the collector's edition though.  :/

Grumble69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 07:13 PM   #43
Mentho

Lord

YAAAAY once again SoE shafts all non-US people playing eq2, last 2 expansions werent in my stores till 2 weeks after digital download was available... this 7 day headstart needs to be removed cause its majorly unfair to all your other customers, If this is the sorta thing thats going to continue for eq2 under SoE I will be seriously rethinking continueing to pay my sub.

Mentho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 07:21 PM   #44
BMonkeeus

Loremaster

[Removed for Content] poor idea...
BMonkeeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 07:22 PM   #45
TalanRM

Loremaster

Kiara wrote:

From what I understand, this is not correct.  Amazon and GameStop should both be shipping the retail box out of the country.

I'll check and see.  It's possible that their information is not updated.

Is it possible to check whether they will be shipping the free DVD in the same package and under the same product code as the game and whether the store will be charging the correct rate of tax? An old problem with importing SOE software into the Europe is that VAT gets charged at the rate set in the US state and again when imported into the EU (this is actually illegal when seeling to consumers under EU law, but what is anyone who wants there delivery going to do about it?). In practice only the VAT rate in the consumers territory should apply.

Similarly, previosuly when ordering 'free' discs in SOE products, because they have been packaged separately local customs and revenue won't accept that they have zero value. Therefore a £20-40 deemed tax value is often added to the 'free' disc.

TalanRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 07:23 PM   #46
Llenwyn
Server: Runnyeye
Guild: Fate

Loremaster

I totally understand the tactic to get more boxes on shelves. More display in stores might mean more subscribers after all.

The simple fact that non-US players need to go to a US outlet to get their copy (for exorbitant shipping costs), means SOE is not even trying in the slightest to get the boxes on shelves overseas. European and Australian just get shafted as a result of SOE's domestic marketing strategy without having any of the benefits.

If you don't plan to market the game overseas, please don't involve us in your marketing scheme and let us benefit from the head start with a digital download.

Llenwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 07:25 PM   #47
Mörk

Loremaster

TalanRM wrote:

Kiara wrote:

From what I understand, this is not correct.  Amazon and GameStop should both be shipping the retail box out of the country.

I'll check and see.  It's possible that their information is not updated.

Is it possible to check whether they will be shipping the free DVD in the package as the game and whether there delivery agents will be charging the correct tax? An old problem with importing SOE software into the Europe is that VAT gets charged at the rate set in the US state and again when imported into the EU (this is actually illegal when seeling to consumers under EU law, but what is anyone who wants there delivery going to do about it?). In practice only the VAT rate in the consumers territory should apply.

Similarly, with free discs in SOE products, because they have been packaged separately local customs and revenue won't accept that they have zero value. Therefore a £20-40 deemed tax value is often added to the 'free' disc.

Which raises another point: what are the chances of the additional DVD being Region-Free? Pretty low?

Old 11-12-2009, 07:36 PM   #48
aislynn00

Loremaster

Seriously, SOE, you aren't doing yourself any favors by essentially ignoring a market potentially much greater than the American one. 

Look at games like Aion or Age of Conan: neither screwed over the EU players, and at the current time, both have significantly greater player bases than the US.

If you really want to go through with this nonsense of forcing people to buy the boxed version of your expansion, as opposed to an equivalently priced digital download, then you really ought to make said boxes available on the release day via a number of European chains or online stores, such as Amazon.co.uk.  Failing to do so is going to alienate a lot of people.

Just for the record, I myself, while annoyed with the whole thing, can work around it by having my mother in law (a US citizen living in the US) order a couple of boxed sets and email my wife and myself the enclosed game codes, but most people don't have an equivalent option.

Please, do give this some careful thought and make the smart choice (hint: your initial plan isn't it.)

aislynn00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 07:36 PM   #49
Gormak

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

I totally understand the tactic to get more boxes on shelves. More display in stores might mean more subscribers after all.

The simple fact that non-US players need to go to a US outlet to get their copy (for exorbitant shipping costs), means SOE is not even trying in the slightest to get the boxes on shelves overseas. European and Australian just get shafted as a result of SOE's domestic marketing strategy without having any of the benefits.

If you don't plan to market the game overseas, please don't involve us in your marketing scheme and let us benefit from the head start with a digital download.

Its all a new tactic! an MMO without the INTERnet.... Wow. what a genre. They are onto a online game with noone but americans!

SOE your fools.

Gormak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 07:37 PM   #50
Purr

Tester

Korven wrote:

Purr wrote:

Griffinhart wrote:

Purr~

Highland Stalker is the name of the lions wandering the Thundering Steppes, I would assume we are getting some sort of armored lion mount.

http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/Highland_stalker

Yes, it's supposed to be a armored one...  I know they had kitty mounts in development a few years ago, was wondering if they slap some armor on those and finaly get their running animation going...

Still: $30 more for a figurine and an in-game mount ?   Pooo!   Not for our accounts, no way.

Purr~

Old 11-12-2009, 07:59 PM   #51
Detor

Loremaster

Grumble69 wrote:

Kiara wrote:

Retail boxes ordered online and shipped, SHOULD be shipped in time to arrive on release day to allow people to take advantage of the early access.

So it sounds like you're aiming to release the retail boxes ahead of the early access date.  That's a great idea since I don't have to drive to the next town to get it (45min away).  Do you have a sense as to how many days beforehand that will be?  I'm in the US.  But it would be nice if we didn't have to pay the exorbitant overnight shipping and go with something in the 3-5 day range.

Sometimes for high profile preorders Ebworld will promise to ship orders with overnight shipping 1 day before the release date - thereby guaranteeing they don't break street date and that you get it on the day of release.  I assume she meant they've told Ebworld to do it for this expansion.  It's just a 1 day jumpstart though - the fines for breaking street date are too high for them to risk the customer getting anything before release date.  (Granted, for EQ2 there is no sense to a street date, but it's just the way Ebworld's order process is setup since there is a real street date for most games.)

Old 11-12-2009, 07:59 PM   #52
Excalibur1

General

So maybe these sites are a bit slow to update, but where do Canadians order from to get in on the 7 day early deal?  Most of the Canadian retail store websites don't list EQ2:SF and while I'm not positive, I think if I were to order from one of the American sites I would still be delayed in receiving the box/code.  Thus, it would be a waste of my time to order the actual box.

Excalibur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:01 PM   #53
thecynic315

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

TalanRM wrote:

Kiara wrote:

Which raises another point: what are the chances of the additional DVD being Region-Free? Pretty low?

QFE thats a very good point, and totaly needs comment from a red name

Old 11-12-2009, 08:04 PM   #54
Detor

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

TalanRM wrote:

Kiara wrote:

QFE thats a very good point, and totaly needs comment from a red name

AFAIK there is no region difference between North America/Europe/Australia.  I mean, you can even select whichever region you want from the patcher right?

Old 11-12-2009, 08:05 PM   #55
Kiara

Community Relations

Mystfit wrote:

I'm old and forgetful I bought a fan faire ticket but didn't actually go. Do I get the expansion for that account?

You should receive the expansion for the account you registered with.  I'll double check, but that's how it was last year, so I see no reason for this to have changed.

Kiara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:13 PM   #56
Alenna
Server: Guk
Guild: Defenders of the Light

Loremaster

Purr wrote:

Griffinhart wrote:

Snip....

Under colectors edition:

Purr~

Lions in Thundering Steppes.

Old 11-12-2009, 08:15 PM   #57
Kiara

Community Relations

Once again.  I recognize that Amazon's site is currently showing that they are not shipping outside the US.

However this is a mistake.  We are working with them to correct the issue.  We made an agreement with both Amazon and GameStop to specifically arrange for shipment outside the US.

I don't know all the ins and outs of international distribution issues.  However we took very specific steps to make it available.  The solution may not be ideal but we pushed for it to happen and we're pushing to fix the errors on the retail sites.

The DVD is included in the collector's edition box.  I will check on region settings and get back to you.

We do not yet have screenshots or details of the in-game mount, or armor pieces.  As soon as the items have been completed and are ready to be displayed, we will do so.

The highland stalker mount is not a lion, however it is a cat and is very cute under all the rawr grrr armor.

If I've missed any questions in this pass, I'll try and catch them next go around.

Still checking on the bought the fan faire ticket but didn't attend thing so that I don't inadvertently lie.

Kiara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:18 PM   #58
Alenna
Server: Guk
Guild: Defenders of the Light

Loremaster

Kiara wrote:

Once again.  I recognize that Amazon's site is currently showing that they are not shipping outside the US.

However this is a mistake.  We are working with them to correct the issue.  We made an agreement with both Amazon and GameStop to specifically arrange for shipment outside the US.

I don't know all the ins and outs of international distribution issues.  However we took very specific steps to make it available.  The solution may not be ideal but we pushed for it to happen and we're pushing to fix the errors on the retail sites.

The DVD is included in the collector's edition box.  I will check on region settings and get back to you.

We do not yet have screenshots or details of the in-game mount, or armor pieces.  As soon as the items have been completed and are ready to be displayed, we will do so.

The highland stalker mount is not a lion, however it is a cat and is very cute under all the rawr grrr armor.

If I've missed any questions in this pass, I'll try and catch them next go around.

Still checking on the bought the fan faire ticket but didn't attend thing so that I don't inadvertently lie.

Thank you for keeping us updated.

Old 11-12-2009, 08:22 PM   #59
Flump

Loremaster

As an Australian who has bought all but 1 expansion on release day I feel betrayed.

EQ2, DoF and KoS were all shipped to retail in australia on release day. And I bought them retail as that is my preferece.

EoF however I had to digital download. The retail version did not ship in Australia until weeks later

RoK I was away from the game for a while but I do know at some stage the retail box was in shops. I saw it once.

TSO was never released to retail in Australia. The only option you had as an Australian was to digital download.

On the shelves in Australia in EB I can buy almost any MMORPG other than the sony ones (except Vanguard see that a bit on the shelves) - I saw a new release of City of Heroes in the new release section the other day. As an aussie I hope that the marketing push can extend to Australia. Digitial download is more prohibitive to many users in Australia as we have much more expensive internet plans here than other parts of the world with capping limits like 10 or 25gb/month. I would love to see move Aussies back in the game - the aussie population is slowly shrinking on Najena and there is no retail presence to bring in new players.

If plans are not in place to ship to Aussie retailers on release this time - as it hasn't been lately, would it be possible to allow australians to purchase retail flagged copies via digital download so we can play the game we love.

Brisbane Lion - Dirge, Fossil -Wizard, Batcat - SK

Nemesis - Templar, Bluff - Coercer

EQ1 - Formerly Flump - Cleric of Maelin Starpyre
Flump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:24 PM   #60
Cyliena
Server: Everfrost
Guild: Crusaders of Neriak

Fansite Staff

Will it be possible to get the DVD any other way?

Cyliena is offline   Reply With Quote