EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > Station Forums > Fan Faire 2007-2011
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-04-2010, 07:55 PM   #1
PineGold

Happy Camper

Ok this year I will not be able to attend Fan Faire in Las Vegas.

Here is something for MR Smedly and crew to look at;   USO Fan Faire Tour.

http://www.uso.org/

SOE can be the first computer game company to do this I think?

Good Hunting.

PineGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 09:53 PM   #2
Ashlanne

Project Manager

I'd like to pass the idea up the chain... Can you give some more details on what you are thinking?

Ashlanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 02:37 PM   #3
PineGold

Happy Camper

The USO has operataions in many locations and tours everyplace US troops go.  The main word is tour, anything you decide to take along should be easy to transport in moving cases.

PSP is popluar and the PX system never seems to have enough in stock.  All the little hand held games sell well in the PX.  I know PSP is a different arm of Sony.

For SOE you may find a techincian and host to carry around a few computers with games loaded and ready to go.  Just land and plug in at the USO tent.  YOU would need a sateilite broardcasting expert to make this work and you own moblie dish to link to the severs.  Most SOE games eight players are group and that would be enough computer stations.

These computers would be for games and not for e-mail and video chat other people do that already.

The USO and MWR and PX systems all work together to promote stuff.  The host command would help with transport and shipping.

The Provost Marshals office would have to do some securtiy checks also because of the nature of operations securtiy and live data feeds even with games.

The main focus of the SOE crew would be to promote  computer GAME sessions.  Think Free Realms international, allied troops would see this also.

The tour could make rehearsals in Japan and Korea first before moving to more high risk presentations.  The best place to make a first run would be at an US base with training site command doing forward area style operations training.  You may even want to role play this between SOE studios before you ever hit the road.

Please contact the USO;  I think this would be a first time activity for them also.

PineGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 12:59 AM   #4
Dented

The Quiet Type

That would make alot of people happy that deserve it more than anyone I agree.  The satilite internet I have been using in europe is so unreliable for me, I think it might take more than an expert.

This all looks very expensive and dodgy.

Dented is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 01:13 AM   #5
Calthine

SOE Community Council

I think you could go higher than SOE to (um, who do y'all report to now?) and integrate the other games mentioned above.  PSP's pre-loaded with Sony movies for the troops... 

Calthine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 03:00 AM   #6
RadarHelper

Master

This would be no cake walk.  If you have fit vets on staff they should handle this tour.  Beware of politcal issues and run this buy your investors first.

Good luck hope this works.

RadarHelper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 03:46 AM   #7
oafgirl

Happy Camper

Long before the present engagements, I lived/worked in Heidelberg, Germany (home of Headquarters, US Army Europe & Seventh Army) as a civilian employee.  (That was September 1976 - May 1980.)

I would suggest that, if this USO Tour idea goes forward, European duty stations be considered as "practice sites" as well as Korea and Japan.  I believe a lot of the Logistics work for the combat areas happens in Europe first.  (Well, it did when I was there and working for the Deputy Chief of Staff, Logistics, hehehehe.)

I have guildies stationed "in the sandbox" who manage to do a little EQ/EQ2 when the connections are good.  I also have a friend who is a dependent spouse living on the economy outside Ramstein AFB and using the local German internet system to connect and play.

But if this USO Tour gets off the ground, I can imagine buddies kibbitzing over the shoulders of those who get to log and and learn/play.  Lots of goodwill for Sony, lots of fun for our troops, who face lots of un-fun on a daily basis.

Of course, if this project gets the green light before Fan Faire, it would be a heckuva fine announcement for Smedley's State of the SOE address....

oafgirl is offline   Reply With Quote