EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > The Development Corner > Developer Roundtable
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-12-2005, 02:24 AM   #1
SOE_Communi

General

Please see the original post and feel free to reply below.

With the launch of EverQuest in 1999, Sony Online Entertainment (back then we were Verant) was on the leading edge of what became a revolution in the video game business… Online Gaming. We certainly didn't invent it… in fact, we stood on the shoulders of some pretty amazing games, including Ultima Online… Meridian 59 and many, many other games including some great text MUDs.

EverQuest had that magic that propelled it to selling over 3 Million units over its six year (well almost) lifespan. We've released 9 expansion packs during that time that have added an absolutely massive amount of content that we're pretty proud of. Certainly some of those expansions were better than others, but I think our goal has always been the same… to entertain our players.

With the launch of EverQuest II, our goal was to refine EverQuest… to distill the things that made EverQuest great, but also to add its own flavor and gameplay style. I think it's fair to say we also needed to aim for a more casual gamer… and make the game appeal to people that may not have the same amount of time they had when EverQuest first came out. As a company we needed to also appeal to a wider base of people. I think you can see from the universal appeal of the Lord of the Rings books (and oh yeah, the movies too…) fantasy worlds are what we can all call "mass market". I'm really proud of EverQuest II and I honestly believe we delivered on our goals of making an incredibly fun and immersive world that our players want to be a part of and make their own.

Over the years, we've learned a lot. The biggest thing we've learned is that our players care very much about everything we do and the changes we make to their world. I cannot tell you how many thousands of emails I've gotten over the years complaining about class balance, nerfs, and overall changes we've made to the game. While I can absolutely understand and respect where each and every one of the people that took the time to write these passionate emails came from (and I read every single one of them and do my best to respond to them as well), I can also assure you that our game teams really do care about the changes they make. Remember... YOU, our players, write our paychecks.

But it's more than that.

It's also about truly caring about what we do. The vast majority of our development teams come from our playerbase. That's a fact that I'm incredibly proud of. In fact, it may surprise you to know that EverQuest actually was the catalyst for one of our Executive Team members to meet his wife (he just got married within the last 6 months)… she was in his guild… one thing led to another and… well the rest is as they say history.

We've certainly made our share of mistakes over the years… but overall, we've tried to stay true to our primary goal of entertaining you.

That's our job description.

Now what's been interesting from our perspective is what really serious competition is doing to the online gaming space. World of Warcraft has come on the scene and is doing awesome. Kudos to Blizzard on what I think is a spectacular game. I've played the heck out of it, and I love it (as have many people here at SOE). To a game developer, having another game developer play your game is the ultimate compliment… so to the folks at Blizzard we say "Nicely done".

But don't think for a second that we don't see WoW as both a great game AND Blizzard as serious competition.

Personally… I'm glad they are out there. They keep us honest. They keep us focused and they force us to play with our 'A' game. They've certainly opened some eyes in our company to styles of gameplay that are different than we would have come up with inside SOE. I hope they're also opening up the eyes of other MMO developers that the 'old school' probably won't cut it any more. I'm glad that we went in the direction we did with EQ II because had we stuck with making an even "harder core" game, I think bad things would have happened. We need to be about larger scale mass-entertainment… because that's what online gaming is slowly becoming. Our games just need to be fun… and easy to get into.

In the United States there are around 2 Million paying online gamers (this is after WoW btw). That's up from 250,000 back before EverQuest was released... and I'm only counting the MMO's.. if you start to add in the Pogo's of the world we're probably talking about 3-4 Million online gamers... and I have no idea what scary numbers some of these online poker places are bringing in.

What this means is that making future online games is a big business that is going to be increasingly competitive. I think that's good for you, and good for us. It's going to insure great games get made… and I can tell you we're in this for the long haul.

Where are we going? What are we going to be doing to revolutionize this business? Well let me throw out just a few of the things we're thinking about here at SOE.

What if you could have families in MMO's? Virtual Children… What if your characters could have children and pass on the family name…

What if players could build fantastic dungeons that become part of the worlds we create with tools we give them? How would that work exactly?

Can MMORPGs have skill based combat?

What if?

I mention these things to be provocative. I want to make sure we're going to take what we do to the next level… and that's going to mean putting some next generation ideas out there and seeing the kinds of things you actually want… but I at least want to start this dialogue and stir the pot a little. We're very interested in your ideas about where things go from here.

John Smedley
President, Sony Online Entertainment

Message Edited by Blackguard on 02-11-2005 02:20 PM

SOE_Communi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 02:39 AM   #2
Grunar

Every one of those "What if"s makes me excited.  I know they are just "What if" and may never happen, but I would love to see them.  Especially the player created dungeons.  I've always loved creating scenarios for people to run through, it would be great to do it in the EQ world!
Old 02-12-2005, 02:39 AM   #3
Articulas

Zombie Aardvark

i know its only 3 things you threw out there. and they really sound great. but while that will appeal to many, its not for me lol. what else ya got on the plate SMILEY

oh oh SMILEY as for what idea i have SMILEY i want a house to really share with my friends, like a mini guild hall that we could show are tropheys off and have get togethers, to sit around a table for a friendly dinner after a short or long night of adventuring.  right now houses are set to one person and its kind of limiting. also player built towns, instanced to guilds SMILEY

Message Edited by Articulas on 02-11-2005 03:44 PM

Old 02-12-2005, 02:39 AM   #4
Piz

skilled based combat along the lines of MMORPG shooters could be the greatest game genre ever.It's just very hard to do. Also shooters tend to draw in the least intelligent and most annnoying people on the internet.
Piz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 02:39 AM   #5
BigFatTeddybe

First thing I really like about this post, is that it's living on the Newbie-Yard.But to be serious, I think what all players would like most -besides horses, flying carpets and stuff like that- would be stability. I wanna log into the game anytime I want. I wanna start a quest and wanna be sure I can finish it, no tricks, no restarting because of errors and flaws. Implement new stuff when the old stuff works or when no one is using the old stuff. Don't play around with game techniques, just asure that the game is up, running and lag-free.If you achieve this, I think most people would then be perfectly happy with the game we got.

BigFatTeddybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 02:42 AM   #6
Vindicis

Loremaster

You guys have done fantastic work so far, I can't wait to see what you have in store for us in the future.  I just have to comment on one thing you said though,

SOE_Community wrote:

I hope they're also opening up the eyes of other MMO developers that the 'old school' probably won't cut it any more. I'm glad that we went in the direction we did with EQ II because had we stuck with making an even "harder core" game, I think bad things would have happened. John Smedley

That's not a pot shot at Vanguard now is it? :smileyvery-happy:

Vindicis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 02:43 AM   #7
Mult

Go take a good long hard look at what Ultima Online tried to do.  Do that and do it better and you'll have a winner.  Static worlds suck...dynamic changeable worlds are better.  Also take a look at Second Life a truly dynamic/mutatable/expandable world.
Mult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 02:46 AM   #8
CautRosetho

I know many developers have posted on this topic, as it has been brought up repeatedly, but I think PvP is a needed addition to help cement EQ2's future. We have great landscapes, we have awesome places that might facilitate RP, but we lack a few things to actually get it going. While it's nice to sit there and bash either of Qeynos or Freeport, it always comes down to a war of words in /shout, and frankly, becomes boring. If PvP were added, ala WoW style, I think it would only be to our benefit.Also, on the subject of RP, I find so little of it, as everyone has to grind their eyes out just to be able to earn anything ot that regard. Horses, new clothes, all require too many man hours just to get. Take a look at another SOE handled title, SWG, as it greatly has many options for character customization, and let's everyone have a unique look. There are things to do that are not combat centered in that game, and it can be great. I myself played an entertainer for well over a year, with no combat whatsoever. It was fun. Part of what made it so fun was that I could dress myself any way that I liked, instead of having all these armor requirements. Give us clothes that have no armor value whatsoever, make tailors have to buy new books to make them, but let us have them.This game has so much potential for RP, but none of it is being utilized, at least in Freeport, on Lucan Dlere, one of the RP servers. Maybe have an ingame events team that does things unannounced so as to not lag out the servers, but let's players still participate.Further, would it hurt if we could actually sit in chairs? Such a simple thing, but I can't imagine sitting in a bar, and sitting meditation style on the table or the chair itself. Small things lead to more interactions and RP.Just my two plat, thanks for your time.
CautRosetho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 02:46 AM   #9
J

I honestly will not even care what else Sony puts out in the future if they cannot take the time to make what they already have work. I grow tired of customer service telling me tough luck when the problems I deal with stem from bugs that are not my fault. I grow tired of trying to deal with a broken system, and myself and many others continue to feel ignored when there are serious issues to be dealt with ( weaponsmith forums anyone? ). I have heard you and many others say you genuinuely care, but I have yet to see any proof behind those words.--JBTired friend of the smithing community.

Troub/Templar/Weaponsmith... wasn't worth the money or time. /bye
J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 02:48 AM   #10
Duhulk

Loremaster

What I would like to see, and the one thing I think EQ2 could, and should, have that is sorely lacking, is a more impressive presentation of story.

I don't mean NPCs that talk about events that happened a long time ago. I don't mean books I can find and read. I don't mean narratives in pure prose in game and on a webpage. I mean using the wondefully dynmaic scripting power in Everquest 2, and later games, as well as the dramatic power of voices, to present to us some truly stunning events. By the time i'm level 30 or 40, I want to feel as if the world has substantially changed in some significant way. History is great, but we need a narrative as well.

This doesn't have to be a physcial world change, though opening up "happy ending" instances of zones after performing objectives would be cool (Rivervale and Zek come to mind). Rather I'm talking about introducing us to some characters, having us interact with them, their personal storires, and the events on the  world stage, on a more meaningful and emotional level. We spend more time with NPCs in MMORPG's than any other interactive medium out there. Great emotional responses could be evoked, far more than our empathy for characters in a film, single player game, or even a novel.

The presentation of these events is equally important. Spawning mobs on a boat to "simulate" an attack at sea is old hat :smileyhappy:. Also, all NPC's are standing up, and it just jerks you out of any suspention of disbelief to find royal NPCs always standing in front of their thrones. Emperor Fyst is suppose to be this slothful and lazy guy who is leading the deathfist orcs down this slovely road. He'd be sitting by gum :smileytongue:. Like film, video games are a visual medium. It doesn't do well to tell us a story in prose. Show us, include us, let us be involved in these epic stories. Don't be afraid to let us get to know important NPC's like Antonia and Lucan on a more personal level, and don't wait 2 years to do it :smileywink:.   Don't relate something cool that happened, let us witness it first hand.

I've got many more thoughts about this, but there's too many to relate here. Hopefully Gamanetwork will accept the article I proposed a few weeks ago in Gamasturta or Game Developer :smileyvery-happy:. Always happy to talk about stories in these wonderful games we all love so much.

Message Edited by Duhulk on 02-11-2005 01:50 PM

Message Edited by Duhulk on 02-11-2005 01:52 PM

Message Edited by Duhulk on 02-11-2005 01:53 PM

Message Edited by Duhulk on 02-11-2005 02:28 PM

Old 02-12-2005, 02:49 AM   #11
benba

Having Children in a MMO? That reminds me of the Comic Book guy on the Simpsons

"I was married once,  in an online computer game, but then she wanted to have children and that would have drained all my power."

Let's keep the discussion out of the realm of the absurd. - SOELegal
benba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 02:52 AM   #12
Geilt

Loremaster

I wish characters had the complex ability to sit down in chairs and lay down in a bed, and maybe even sit crosslegged on the floor like back in old EQ =/. It hurts my legs to sit like they do IRL for an hour or two, i can imagine if i was wearing chain or plate ! =)
Old 02-12-2005, 02:53 AM   #13
Ak

What if they put Frogloks in the game?
Ak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 02:54 AM   #14
Reld

I would like true risk/rewards.  No more random death by forge because you lagged for a few seconds,  no more level 25 groupx2 mobs spawing on top of your level 12 character,  no more dieing because the zone crashed.  Without all of this you could make death rare but meaningfull,  even permenant.  So you get to level 20 and die.  Your dead.  End of character; BUT - when you restart as a new character many of yous skills and abilities are passed on. Rather than being know to others by your first name,  you would be know by your surname (and all surnames would need to be unique).  So by the time you got to be level 50 you might be on your 4th or 5th generation.

Reld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 02:54 AM   #15
Dasein

Loremaster

What I would love to see is for a company like SOE to sponsor smaller, innovative designs that serve as testbeds for major new paradigms. A game on the scale of EQ2 or WoW is a major investment of time and money, and needs to attract hundreds of thousands of players to be considered even a kmodest success. But this means it needs to appeal to as many people as possible, which can stifle innovation into new concepts that some might like and others find deal-breaking.

Imagine, though, if you had a dozen smaller 'art-house' games each focusing on different areas of MMO innovation, from perma-death to virtual families, from player-created content to world-building, each running on a few servers, with maybe 10000-15000 players. These games would allow developers to go wild and explore the cutting edge limits of technology without worrying too much about how it will sell or how balanced it is. Ideally, when a new mass-market game is then developed, there'd be a wealth of new ideas to draw on, ideas that have already been tested and refined both at a technological level and at a gameplay level.
Old 02-12-2005, 02:55 AM   #16
Hogatha

Loremaster

benbang wrote:
Having Children in a MMO? That reminds me of the Comic Book guy on the Simpsons

"I was married once,  in an online computer game, but then she wanted to have children and that would have drained all my power."

I like the idea of having children.  It would be astounding if we could interbreed races too LOL.  A troll and a gnome SMILEY 

Another thing I would love to see is pixies or faires as a playable race, something very small that will FLY.

Hogatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 02:56 AM   #17
Hazers Ed

I just thought of an idea to make all players get the PvsP fiends to be happy without making the game messy, You have probably already doing something similar as Sony Rocks but Having a large Arena where players can watch as spectators and have Qeynos Vs Freeport Group battles with the prize provided by the 2 groups ( an entry fee say 1000 g for example) and xp rewarded accordingly and have a great prize for the Winner of teh tornament  then I guess It would be a controlled P vs P enviroment

Ty

Hazer
Hazers Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 02:56 AM   #18
Stavenh

Everquest is my first and Everquest 2 is my second MMO that I got into. I've tried others, lost interest. EQ1, in the high end became to much work for me, even when I had the time to commit. EQ2 is more casual which is great. Sony has made a great game. The recent uproar over changes coming makes me wonder, why people that cmplain about the game and Sony, and toss names around at people are even playing. Clearly, there is something about the game you like enough, even after you called people liars and money grubbing greedy so and so.I've never seen a change in the game that so dramaticaly effected the game that made it completely unplayable. Sure, some have effected me. As a wizard, upping group mob damage put me at a higher death risk. I adjusted. I craft, but don't see it as my soul income in the game. When changes come I will adjust.Change and adjust is what it's all about.Most of the changes I see happening, are to prevent the game becoming abused by some people. That is often a turn off from a game for me, when I see others abuse the game for personal reasons. After all, its a game. And a fun one too.
Stavenh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 02:57 AM   #19
Bunglem

SOE_Community wrote:

What if you could have families in MMO's? Virtual Children… What if your characters could have children and pass on the family name…

What if players could build fantastic dungeons that become part of the worlds we create with tools we give them? How would that work exactly?

Can MMORPGs have skill based combat?

What if?

I mention these things to be provocative.I want to make sure we're going to take what we do to the next level… and that's going to mean putting some next generation ideas out there and seeing the kinds of things you actually want… but I at least want to start this dialogue and stir the pot a little. We're very interested in your ideas about where things go from here.

John Smedley

Well those ideas sound ambitious to say the least...  as for the virtual family idea, I really can't fathom how that would work, but it sounds like something that might get my wife interested in MMOs, and that would be a good thing.  :smileyvery-happy:  The iffy part, though, seems to imply that there might be permanent character death (how would a child pass on the family name without having the older generations die out).  Also, how would this work in terms of the children?  Have new people come in as children to players already in the game?  Would this be optional to the child regarding who his parents are?  What happens when families inevitably get dysfunctional and people start arguing and wanting out of the family?  Or are these children really player characters at all, but NPCs?

The good thing I see here is that it would get people away from the mindset that MMOs are just to level up and get phat lewt.  Having a great community aspect in an MMO is essential, and right now it's something that EQ2 lacks.  There has to be some compelling reason to play other than to fight/craft or eventually people will do all there is to do and be done.  EQ has been around so long because of the relationships involved in it, and those relationships haven't been given much of a chance to form in EQ2.  There have been many threads recently detailing why there is not enough community in EQ2, and most of those revolve around the fact that there is nowhere for EQ2 players to gather to have a good time.  We need more ways that players can interact besides mashing buttons in combat or standing around a forge.  Give us back some of the things from EQ that made getting together fun (yes, that includes duels/arenas and drunkenness) and add some more.

Players go out of their way to host stuff...  in EQ I saw weddings, arena tournaments, fishing tournaments, drunken races, etc.  You don't have to provide specific tools to allow people to host events, just give us the game mechanics to do so.  Give us the ability to drink a few beers at the tavern and stumble around...  give us the ability to hold tournaments at the arena for prizes (dead horse, I'm leaving it now), but just give us something.  Heck I know I'd host a checker/chess tournament in a second if those parlor games were implemented in taverns.  Not only is it something that would be fun, but the winner would have recognition and relationships could be formed.  It doesn't take much creativity here, just listen to other players who have better ideas than me.

Finally, as for skill based combat...  not sure what you're getting at, but if you're talking about twitch based combat, please leave it out.  I'm stuck on dialup indefinitely, and the only games I can play are MMOs.  If those become twitch fests also, then I'm basically up a creek without a paddle.

Thanks.

EDIT:  P.S.  You can also start making the game better by not nerfing my purchased horse...

Message Edited by Bungleman on 02-11-2005 02:01 PM

Old 02-12-2005, 02:58 AM   #20
Jedite

Loremaster

Smed i guess you are playing a different game than alot of the lvl 60 in WoW are playing.

Anyways, some of those ideas sound good, however you have to realize that the good ol player base from past MMORPGS are still true to the cocepts brought by EQ1. Large scale raiding is still a great thing. Also the freedom we had in EQ1 is something i miss in EQ2, and something that is punished in WoW. Let me explain. Having locked encounters is pretty cool, however it pretty much locks out any creative strategies that you dont envision for said encounter. Thankfully you guys havent done what WoW has done when Conquest tried the rogue/Warlock pull, a legitimate pull in EQ1 and in the eyes of most the MMORPG community (excluding the BNet Community).

Blizzard might have a huge player base, but that player base is that big thanks to Battle.net(not the traditional MMORPG players and probably wont play any other than Blizzard MMO). IMO they are failing to push the envelop of their game, and failing to keep up with the high demand of their players. Something that EQ2 has been able to do and I hope continues to do.

The first few months of an MMO really dont speak of how good it is.. After a year has gone by, then you can tell how succesful your MMO is.
Jedite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 02:59 AM   #21
Yiago

Loremaster

HI,Find a way to ensure immersion, fun, dynamics, bug free(best you can)....all while taking time, BUT!! That is more enjoyment than a chore. Crafting is cool, but is a chore.....leveling, finding new tactics, exploring new areas...all fun...but can be a chore. Try finding a class/role to play for the next 6 years, yet not feeling left behind by high level friends. Achieve these and you have my money SMILEY...I don't just mean fast leveling like WoW though SMILEYYour heading in the right direction....not bad for a true 2nd Gen MMO. Oh what joys we will see when I am 40...heck...maybe even 35...I am 31 by the way SMILEY.
Yiago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 02:59 AM   #22
Vro

The player-created dungeons sound very nice. I'd like to see that extended though...Horizons had a wonderful idea with this. In the lands taken by the Withered Aegis are ruins of towns that once belonged to the Living Races. As the evil hordes are pushed back, these towns open up to players who move in and fix them. Imagine if, in EQ2, we could trigger some form of cleanup of the Ruins of Caltorsis. After an epic battle that involved a number of large raid parties, the evil skeletons, zombies, and ghosts are finally put to rest and no longer spawn there. Crafters could then come to the site and use their skills to fix the building(s) up and possibly build other community assets there. After some time and enough work, NPCs with quests and merchants would move in. Possibly players could rent from Inns here. Soon enough, a small, vibrant, player-created village is found on the site. While all this was going on, players from Freeport might be slipping into the area and sabotaging the work.Maybe Stormhold could be cleared out in a similar manner and allow players to join a Knights of Thunder society with special perks.There are tons of locations that could be similarly modified to allow for permanent player-driven change. The change would be server specific and require the effort of most of the server to complete.I realize there would be some major hurdles and problems to overcome, but what the heck, this is a "What if?" thread, isn't it SMILEY
Vro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 02:59 AM   #23
Tomodac

> They've certainly opened some eyes in our company to styles of gameplay that are different > than we would have come up with inside SOE. I hope they're also opening up the eyes of other > MMO developers that the 'old school' probably won't cut it any more. I'm glad that we went in > the direction we did with EQ II because had we stuck with making an even "harder core" game, > I think bad things would have happened. We need to be about larger scale mass-entertainment… > because that's what online gaming is slowly becoming. Our games just need to be fun… and easy > to get into./pukeNice to know that the acknowledged trend of EQ2 and the SOE perceived trend of MMORPGs in general is toward maximizing mass-market appeal.From experiences with other entertainment markets we have clearly seen the highest caliber movies, TV, music, etc. rise out of attempts to broaden market appeal.: P
Old 02-12-2005, 03:01 AM   #24
Aelissa

Loremaster

I belive if you guys read the forums here you will see exactly what would make the gamers happy ...

1) Diversity of the avatar in it's appearance and skills both seems to be on the top of every list.
   a) clothing styles
   b) being able to better customize your avatar, and change it (ie. have a way or salon to change hair styles ect.)
   c) class specific and racial specific appearances to armor

2) Deliver what is promised or promoted, no need to be deceptive in promotion in order to get us to buy your products.
   a) CE package
   b) guild housing instances

3) Fix before you nerf, with so many small things that matter to so many players it seems a hard conception for the vast majority to grasp: why do you "nerf" things before taking the time to fix the hundreds of other things that are wrong?
  a) mount speed
  b) illusions and recipes still not working
  c) those skills/abilities we chose and still have yet to see the effect of (scribing one levle higher tradeskill book ect...)
  d) the graphics (how our characters look when they sit)

4) Usable or interactive home items and different appearances for rare and crafted items
   a) let our characters sit or sleep on this wonderful pixel stuff that is made
   b) it's so dissapointing to buy rare oak for 25g and make a bed and have it look liek the 4g bed in Qeynos you can just buy
   c) all crafted items should differ from the ones you can just buy from Innkeepers

I like many of the ideas and concepts that soe has presented, sad that they have yet to be utilized, but none the less patient as I know it has taken nearly six years for EQ to get where it is.

I don't know about virtual children ... as far fetched as that sounds it personaly makes me cringe, would they be like pets?

How about making instead "family packages" similar to the all access pass where your family can play with you, without it costing an arm and a leg?
Old 02-12-2005, 03:02 AM   #25
Savanja

Fansite Staff

I'm very excited to watch EQ2 grow over the years.. Great post Smedley.
Old 02-12-2005, 03:03 AM   #26
NocteBla

General

Very nice post Smed SMILEY.

Along with (obviously) having a fun game to play, int the MMO world, it's important for the developers to discuss changes/gather opinions and comminicate with the playerbase on a more personal, and certainly more frequest basis. While reading through these types of posts are certainly great for the overall opinion of the game, they do little to satisfy the urgency of the player's issues. I could rattle off a dozen issues I've heard about here on the forums, yet I have yet to see them addressed by a single developer. I realize there are FAR more issues than there are answers, but yet again something needs to be done as well.

Theroetically:

If weekly, we were to see a post that looked like the following, we'd be better off than any other MMO community out there:

Hey guys,

• Art team is working on throwing knife animation to not appear as shooting a bow
  • Assassin's Mark is being looked at to see if it is in line with what we intended
  • Fury aggro from heals is working as intended
  • Fighter Combat Art drop rates are being looked into.

All we want is to know our issues are being addressed, and thought about. Sure, /feedback "all gets looked at, it really does" but we need something more substantial. Devs, read the subclass forums, reply to issues. Something as simple as "I"ll look into it" and even if it comes back "It's working fine" we feel like we are being heard.

Again, great post Smed, but lets focus in on more of the isolated instances instead of the view of the game/industry as a whole.

Old 02-12-2005, 03:04 AM   #27
Sparkle

Loremaster

I like the idea's your thinking about but what I would like to see happen, Is actually buying your house so you don't have to pay weekly rent maybe taxes from the city on your apartment.  Being able to paint the walls colors and the furniture colors.  Also Why cant we get trophys from the dungeons for our houses other than books or mastery books.  I would like to see quests where you could actually get a rare piece of furniture or rare piece of art for your abode.  Also why no clothing I see npc's in beautiful clothing like the white dress in freeport or the blue velvet in qeynos or the blue dress that is worn on second floor of the jade dragon.  If you want to promote more roleplay and play outside the dungeon you need to add more options to make people want to decorate and own a home, or clothing you want others to see you about town in.  Incentives to get rare things for your home by gaming more making more gold spending how great for the economy.  Love the pets would like to see more of them also.  Maybe add a jewelry box for the home to keep our extra jewelry in we don't wish to sell.  Also a hair stylist in game for changing your looks.  Would also like to see a few tapestry and curtians for house's maybe something a tailor could run up and in colors.  All kinds of things to make the home you want in Everquest 2 worth fighting for.  Aprodite Mistmoore

Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 03:04 AM   #28
ManaByte

Loremaster

Well, MMOs can have skill-based combat. Dungeons & Dragons online does this, so it'd be nice to see it applied to more MMORPGs.
Old 02-12-2005, 03:05 AM   #29
Chucksinge

The vision for MY game, (the one that when its made, I will never play another game) -

Reflex and Tactical group based MMO with characters that level.  A nice cross between Zelda: Ocarina of Time and of course, EQ2.

I want my team to run into the cave with the dragon and move into position.   I want the tank to avoid hits, not by some integer that represents an avoidance skill, but because he jumped out of the way.  I want the swing of his sword to produce damage only because he connected with the sweet spot on the dragon.  Bring back object collision instead of just getting the right random number.

I want the archer to set up shop in the corner and have to aim his arrow.  If the arrow connects, then it does damage.  I want the mage to have to aim fireballs too.  I want the thief to have to climb up the wall with spiderclimb and jump onto the dragons back for a huge backstab.  I want an enchanter casting an aura of breath protection, trying to keep as many party members in the radius as possible without getting hit by a swing of the tail.

I want the encounter to add some experience to a character.  And that character may some day get to level 50.  And I want new skills at the different levels that allows my character to do different things, like jump higher or throw a grappling hook, or launch an ice comet. 

And I want to go up against other players in an Arena. And I want to bet my plat on other players fighting in an arena. 

Anyway- Thats my game. Maybe someday.

Anaximandar
42 Guardian
Chucksinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 03:06 AM   #30
Priest of Fe

player-built dungeons? skill-based combat? Is that what SOE considers revelutionary and groundbreaking? Thats pretty sad.

You want to know why its becoming apparent how hollow this game is? No dramatic element. A poster above said it already: we're not involved with the story really. We speak to NPCs to get loot. We get loot to be more uber in combat. We're uber in combat so we can kill faster to complete quests to get more loot. Our actions effect nothing, other than to make the quest reward window pop up. You've basically built a beautifully rendered combat simulation game with advanced chat features with optional crating system. There's no story here, only the same, vanilla, MMO grind-to-power paradigm.

Sometimes, thats cool. But the novelty is wearing off. So hearing about player-built instances or another combat system is just more empty additions to a dying, static world.

You know what will be groundbreaking in the MMO industry? When someone figures out a truly interactive world where your character's actions have real-time implications on the game. That game will sell millions of copies, easy.

Message Edited by Priest of Fear on 02-11-2005 02:08 PM