EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Class Discussion > Scout's Den > Swashbuckler
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-29-2006, 02:39 AM   #1
m0ya

Loremaster

IT SUCK!! Imo....

Big lines :
200% haste/dps is the new cap
stats are 15Xlvl +15 or 20..
etc etc

m0ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 04:38 AM   #2
Keldo

General

Why does it suck, stats are meaningful again, so are our self buffs, etc.   This was a necessary change.
Keldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 11:37 AM   #3
Iseabeil

Loremaster

The parts that worry me would be that with so many stats needed already, some of our stats will have to lose out. Right now, when you have maxed str, you can focusing on upping int and somewhat agi for power pool, with higher str giving somethin in return, the other stats will lose out untill str is at a point where more points in it wont be worth the return to lay more in it, and just finding good int items that arent mage only is hard as is. Then again, we dunno anythin about EoF itemization, maybe scout gear in general will be less one sided.. i dunno, just got out of bed so havent been able to really think about it well yet.
The other issue I see, with haste/dps cap being upped, it almost gives devs an excuse to not adress the dispartiy of haste and dps abilities, partly the extreme lack of +dps items, and partly how it seem Q is all about +haste and FP is all about +dps. It might be just a pet peeve of mine own, but it is somethin that annoys me, and whilst having an illusionist in group might actually give somethin this way, I kinda have a crush on dps myself.
Meh, my head isnt really clear right now, so Im prolly just rambling.

Old 09-29-2006, 05:17 PM   #4
Keldo

General

Well, this essentially just gives us more options.

Instead of being useless, + pierce/slash will add DPS.  Instead of being useless, + STR will add DPS.  Instead of being useless, more haste will add DPS.. and so on.  You can specialize your Swashbuckler however you want, instead of having to rely on a class to DPS buff you to really see a difference.

By increasing your INT, you were doing essentially what we will be able to do now, except it will be with our main, core stats like they should be.

They have stated we should essentially break even compared to where we are now, which remains to be seen, but still, it forces us to rethink our gear and gives us tons of more options.

Old 09-29-2006, 07:32 PM   #5
m0ya

Loremaster

Sooooo..... Dirk of Horror (4sec delay) will hit every 1sec....... SSSSSSSSIIIIIIIIIICCCCCCKKKKKK . lol.... I think ><
Old 09-29-2006, 07:57 PM   #6
Krontak

Loremaster

What I really like about this is you can have bags of equipment so you can really optimize your gear for solo where you might want more defensive gear or raid where you'd want more offensive gear. 
Old 09-29-2006, 08:05 PM   #7
RingleToo

Loremaster

The proposed changes to combat mechanics look good to me as I understand what's happening. People at the low end will see a lot of improvement and  people at the high end will at least see some benefit (as opposed to the flat-lining, so to speak, that you see now). Most people probably fall into the "mid-range" and won't even notice a lot of difference. Casters and healers particularly will benefit, but I think it will help all classes in the long run.  
Old 09-29-2006, 11:01 PM   #8
Franco2254

Loremaster

Beware of Soe Bearing gifts. I think this could hurt us that have gone the Wisdom line in aa. Less hits in autoattack in between our CAs.=Decrease in dps

Brownwolf Shadowblade
70 Swashybuckler
Dracos Argent, Butcherblock
Franco2254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 11:59 PM   #9
m0ya

Loremaster

Actually....no.... we will be able to have more haste.... and more dps... (cap at 200 but will actually be 125%, sorry my bad), so I don't see how it'll decrease our dps.... we'll hit more often so we'll proc more.. well mby not more but I'm sure we wont proc less...
Old 09-30-2006, 02:21 AM   #10
Sadaen

Loremaster

I dont know what is going to happen, BUT I am going to bid on a couple good dual wields in the next couple weeks.

Just to be prepared.
Old 09-30-2006, 04:03 AM   #11
Luk

General

I wonder if, with the 200% haste cap they will remove the no haste item stacking thingy
Luk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 04:07 AM   #12
SmCaudata

Loremaster

Sadaen wrote:
I dont know what is going to happen, BUT I am going to bid on a couple good dual wields in the next couple weeks.

Just to be prepared.

I was thinking this.  Giving up that second weapon slot is an even bigger deal now.  Also coule is going to be much more usefull meaning the rogue with traumatic is going to have lower damage output than the one with coule.Edit:  For the haste stacking I don't see that happening.  What I would like to see is some +20 DPS items.  Also this opens the door for a higher haste level 70 HQ in EoF.  Cloak of Flames? SMILEY

Message Edited by SmCaudata on 09-29-2006 07:08 PM

Old 09-30-2006, 08:51 AM   #13
malachaio

Loremaster

Its not like you will get big upgrades once you get past the break point...

Also, seems like our debuffs are not going to be as good as now, debuffing a stat if the mob is above the break point will mean nothing. 

And for us, after break point any upgrade will be so small its gonna be negligable until you reach the caps again. As of now, when you get an upgrade for which you raided 20-30 hours or more you can really feel an upgrade, and i like that.

Not to mention the mess its gonna be to get a good delay weapon if haste is gonna have a diminishing return curve...

These changes look scary, and it all looks like a way to keep people busy for a long time, just i'm not sure it's the right way. Then again is too soon to have an accurate opinion.

Tainy, Ancient Vengeance

Najena

malachaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 03:31 PM   #14
Dakkon_10

General

I'm interested how this will help or hurt our debuffs. Maybe Lung puncture will become useful, or maybe utterly worthless.As for the haste/dps caps, I don't get it. We will be able to go up to 200% but will only really be 125%? Why not just make the cap 125%... Somebody clarify this please.
Old 09-30-2006, 04:09 PM   #15
Keldo

General

1st, they mentioned current raidmobs have hugely inflated skills to be able to damage tanks consistantly.  This new system should eliminate that, and also make Lung Puncture a lot more effective as a result. 

2nd, they are making it a 200% cap because its harder to reach.  1 to 100 is the same as it is now, but 100 to 200 will only give 25% bonus.  They can't make it 200 because that would make melee dmg completely through the roof, but they can't make it 125 cuz that is easy to reach.  So they give us a bit of a bonus to reach for (25% is nothing to sneeze at) yet make it very difficult to cap outside of temp buffs, which is essentially how it should be.

Old 09-30-2006, 07:46 PM   #16
malachaio

Loremaster

no, it says haste and dps will get into the same diminishing return curve, which will make a 100% haste equal to a current 70% or so. 
Old 09-30-2006, 08:01 PM   #17
m0ya

Loremaster

Basically... 4%haste (above 100%) will give you 1%.

So after 100% haste, you'll need 4 point to get 1% haste. (Same thing with DPS)

Hope that help
Old 09-30-2006, 08:36 PM   #18
malachaio

Loremaster

Again, it says after you hit the break point you will get less benefit for a higher number, and that break point will be around 40% of the new cap. So 100% will mean a real 80% haste, and from 100% to 200% you will get the rest 65%. And its NOT linear, its a curve, the closer you get to cap the less benefit you get.

Message Edited by malachaio on 09-30-2006 09:37 AM

Old 09-30-2006, 09:14 PM   #19
Rokjin

Loremaster

Moorguard actually stated that for DPS/Haste, it won't use the same 40% of the new cap system as stats.

IE: 1-100% = same as before
100-200% = 100-125%

So it is NOT a nerf in terms of haste/dps. It is a buff, since often Bravado will proc multiple times for me, meaning I will be getting 114% haste from Bravado alone.. Throw in 28% from Zerk and 20% from belt, and I'm already sitting at 162% (115.5 real) Haste.
Rokjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 09:16 PM   #20
SmCaudata

Loremaster

malachaio wrote:
Again, it says after you hit the break point you will get less benefit for a higher number, and that break point will be around 40% of the new cap. So 100% will mean a real 80% haste, and from 100% to 200% you will get the rest 65%. And its NOT linear, its a curve, the closer you get to cap the less benefit you get.

Message Edited by malachaio on 09-30-2006 09:37 AM

No.http://eqiiforums.station.sony.com/eq2/board/message?board.id=combat&message.id=115163#M115163Moorgard says haste and dps are scaling in the same manner. Scaling only comes into play at very high values he says.  Basically you get a benefit over 100% where currently you do not.

Old 09-30-2006, 11:07 PM   #21
malachaio

Loremaster

I see.

Message Edited by malachaio on 09-30-2006 12:08 PM

Old 10-01-2006, 01:16 AM   #22
Hammerhead70

Loremaster

Good to know! Good info. thanks guys
Old 10-07-2006, 09:53 AM   #23
Twoboxer2

Loremaster

Hehe . . . I was wondering how the next expansion would give 70s something to do without raising the level caps. So they raised the stat caps instead. Which means new equipment or adornments to reach the new stat caps and new exp grinding for AAs.

One way of looking at things may be that instead of raising the level cap to 80, level 70 has become 10 levels bigger SMILEY Which is fine, we have something to do.

But the transition is likely to be painful for three reasons:

1) Any change to the basics causes someone "pain" lol.

2) SOE said that the reason for the cap raise was that PC power increased exponentially as one closed in on the cap. Due to the "Longevity Formula". Whatever. The key point is that people who are (eg) one point apart on the current curve will now be placed on a new curve. The odds that these two previously "adjacent" people will both be happy are [insert guess here].

3) At the same time, SOE will have to adjust all existing (raid) encounters to fit against the new PC-power curve. The odds that all (eg) tanks will then be able to tank all existing encounters exactly as they do now is [insert guess here].

So, there'll be a lot of adjusting, I'm fairly certain. Some will step backward . . . less likely, some will step ahead. At the end of the day, the combat system will be richer and that's a very good thing. But brace yourself for some . . . discomfort.