EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-07-2012, 05:55 AM   #1
Faeward
Server: Nagafen
Guild: T R I B U N A L

Loremaster

Who would be interested in leveling a bunch of new toons on the Test server (not Test Copy), making a guild, and testing some content?

I play UK time, and work most days, so I might be on in like 10 hours or so.

If interested, send a PM.

Faeward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:22 AM   #2
DamselInDistress

Champion

Your initiative is great and good luck with it.

From what i've seen however, tester's feedback is ignored anyway. SOE does not test content, the test is being done on the live servers and no that is not a joke.

DamselInDistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:21 AM   #3
Cyliena
Server: Everfrost
Guild: Crusaders of Neriak

Fansite Staff

DamselInDistress wrote:

From what i've seen however, tester's feedback is ignored anyway. SOE does not test content, the test is being done on the live servers and no that is not a joke.

If that were true this game would be absolutely unplayable. Just because not every ounce of feedback is taken into consideration doesn't mean that content is not tested and no fixes are done from testing over on Test.

Cyliena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:41 AM   #4
DamselInDistress

Champion

Cyliena wrote:

DamselInDistress wrote:

If that were true this game would be absolutely unplayable. Just because not every ounce of feedback is taken into consideration doesn't mean that content is not tested and no fixes are done from testing over on Test.

I am not sure if you even play this game, that's all i can say.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:54 AM   #5
Cyliena

Fansite Staff

DamselInDistress wrote:

Cyliena wrote:

DamselInDistress wrote:

I am not sure if you even play this game, that's all i can say.

I don't deny that issues and bugs exist. I don't deny that not everything is tested long enough (and is instead pushed too early even with testers saying "it's not ready for live yet"). To say that NOTHING is tested though and that testing is done only on live is a gross exaggeration.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:11 AM   #6
Elder Elf

Loremaster

Way to derail Inglip's thread. /golfclap

Elder Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:15 AM   #7
DamselInDistress

Champion

Cyliena wrote:

I don't deny that issues and bugs exist. I don't deny that not everything is tested long enough (and is instead pushed too early even with testers saying "it's not ready for live yet"). To say that NOTHING is tested though and that testing is done only on live is a gross exaggeration.

Well, we'll have to agree to disagree then. I cannot remember one thing that was released and was not broken and no I am not talking here about SC stuff. The last time we had content ( Dov Part 1 ) there wasn't a single group instance / raid instance which was not broken, quests with texts floating in the air ( all you needed to do was walk past the quest giver to notice it ... ). Every single "fix" created more severe bugs, you'd know that if you spent some time in game.

Plane of war recently opened after how long ? Guess what  ... bugged to death.

Point is yes nothing was tested and was dumped to live to be maybe fixed whenever.

When you run Ascent and the fountain boss comes out with his ray and runs after you until you're dead then yeah I'd say it was not tested at all and that was an entry level instance.

If you want to keep debating then go on, I am looking forward to it. Just because some stuff works now, doesn't mean it was tested when it was released.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:24 AM   #8
Faeward

Loremaster

I still think the Test community is quite valuable.

I'm thinking I might see if I can join Cloudrat's guild SMILEY

Old 03-07-2012, 11:38 AM   #9
Enica
Guild: Casual Alliance

Loremaster

I play on Test 2-3 times a week. There used to be a decent community that played there on a regular basis. Now it's pretty scarce, with most people playing on their regular server and hanging out in the /test channel. I'd really like to see more people playing over there. It doesn't have to be full time, but if we just had a few that would hop over there a couple of times a week, it could help.

Enica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:11 PM   #10
mappam

Loremaster

How do you even get on test?

I use to have a couple characters on Test and I am wondering if they are still there BUT I can't figure out How to get on Test?

I read that there is suppose to be a 'link' on launchpad but I can't seem to find it??? Is it there and I am not looking in the right place?

mappam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:53 PM   #11
Cyliena

Fansite Staff

mappam wrote:

How do you even get on test?

I use to have a couple characters on Test and I am wondering if they are still there BUT I can't figure out How to get on Test?

I read that there is suppose to be a 'link' on launchpad but I can't seem to find it??? Is it there and I am not looking in the right place?

In the upper left-hand corner of launchpad you'll see Version: US English (or whatever your version is). Click the version and you'll be taken to a menu where there's a dropdown box of all the different regions. At the bottom is Public Test.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:15 PM   #12
CoLD MeTaL

Loremaster

Last time I was on test, did a /who all and got 15 names.

$OE specifically killed the community over there a few years back with their normal shenanigans.

Good luck rebuilding it, but as others have mentioned $OE doesn't really listen to feedback from over there.

CoLD MeTaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:02 PM   #13
Enica
Guild: Casual Alliance

Loremaster

CoLD MeTaL wrote:

Last time I was on test, did a /who all and got 15 names.

$OE specifically killed the community over there a few years back with their normal shenanigans.

Good luck rebuilding it, but as others have mentioned $OE doesn't really listen to feedback from over there.

Yeah, it's really dropped off. You used to be able to find 70-100 players on, and that was during the day. At night there'd be a lot more. And people would be able to organize groups and even raids.

Enica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 04:26 PM   #14
Morrias
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Dynasty Reborn

Loremaster

Cyliena wrote:

DamselInDistress wrote:

Beta and Test are almost completely ignored, I shouldn't have to explain or give examples. Look at the old threads on test about issues that went live and stayed live for weeks. Actually if you want a GREAT example find the archived DoV beta threads somewhere, I'm sure someone has them. There were huge threads about the griffon exploit, yet it still went live and people still exploited it. I personally bugged it in game 5+ times and even told Rothgar directly though tells and got the standard "Use /bug and we'll look into it" :

Morrias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:10 AM   #15
Faeward

Loremaster

Perhaps SOE could give people some more incentives to play on the Test server?

I'm willing to start over on Test.

Perhaps the only way we can make a difference is if we all chip in? Every little helps and all that...

Old 03-08-2012, 06:21 AM   #16
DamselInDistress

Champion

[email protected] wrote:

Perhaps the only way we can make a difference is if we all chip in? Every little helps and all that...

I am sorry to say but we do not count in SOE's eyes. We do not make any difference and SOE does not care in the very least what happens to EQ2 and its customers. You really need to learn to deal with that fact.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:51 AM   #17
feldon30

Fansite Staff

[email protected] wrote:

The best incentive to get people wanting to sign up and play on Beta and Test is if there were a commitment not to push content Live until showstopper bugs are fixed. I know that's a tall order.

Beyond that, yeah, there should be some kind of reward on LIVE for doing X amount of testing on Test or Beta.

You're always going to have people who want to game the system, but if you put in some Test or Beta quests that, when completed, enable a reward on your account, you'd get some people interested. Make these quests require completing a certain number of quests, or complete certain zones or raids. If it's a dev-led raid test, then the dev can flag the quest as complete even if there are bugs that prevent the zone from being completed.

feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:32 AM   #18
DamselInDistress

Champion

feldon30 wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

The best incentive to get people wanting to sign up and play on Beta and Test is if there were a commitment not to push content Live until showstopper bugs are fixed. I know that's a tall order.

Beyond that, yeah, there should be some kind of reward on LIVE for doing X amount of testing on Test or Beta.

You're always going to have people who want to game the system, but if you put in some Test or Beta quests that, when completed, enable a reward on your account, you'd get some people interested. Make these quests require completing a certain number of quests, or complete certain zones or raids. If it's a dev-led raid test, then the dev can flag the quest as complete even if there are bugs that prevent the zone from being completed.

That would be nice indeed. I am pretty sure there have been suggestions like these before and they got the same silent treatment.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:38 AM   #19
convict

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Everyday, it's starting to look like swg around here. Customers looking for ways to "save" or make the game better. Your actions will go unheard, it's been proven already. Only thing on SoE's table are more sc items, planetside 2 and eqnext. This game is feeding money to those games. Only thing that will make them listen is money. My guild isnt even considering eqnext, let alone anymore soe games period. It all has to do with how they treat this game and their customers.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:39 AM   #20
feldon30

Fansite Staff

DamselInDistress wrote:

feldon30 wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

That would be nice indeed. I am pretty sure there have been suggestions like these before and they got the same silent treatment.

Well usually what happens is people come in and derail the suggestion with one of these:

• I've been testing for years without any special rewards, why are rewards needed?
  • People will just use this to game the system and won't do any serious testing.
  • Dedicated testers follow certain practices to find and reproduce bugs, something most people won't bother with.
  • People just use Beta/Test to learn the strategy to kill mobs which they can then use on live.

I appreciate those concerns, but the number of Testers is dwindling, and most people don't even know how to get to Test. If you provide some incentive, more people will try it. Yes, some will game the system or use it to get freebie items on live, or to learn strats. But you are also putting the idea of Testing in front of a bunch of people. If 1 out of every 25 people who come over and Test things turns into a Dedicated Tester, then you have won. That is a great conversion rate.

feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:17 AM   #21
Gaealiege
Server: Butcherblock
Guild: Eruanna Ar Fuin

Loremaster

I recall a few years ago there was a dev made post called "What would it take to get you to play on test all the time?"  or something like that.

The basic overall response was "rewards." 

SOE went on to fully ignore that post.  It was blatant the answer they were looking for was "pat on the back."

Gaealiege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:23 AM   #22
DamselInDistress

Champion

feldon30 wrote:

Well usually what happens is people come in and derail the suggestion with one of these:

• I've been testing for years without any special rewards, why are rewards needed?
  • People will just use this to game the system and won't do any serious testing.
  • Dedicated testers follow certain practices to find and reproduce bugs, something most people won't bother with.
  • People just use Beta/Test to learn the strategy to kill mobs which they can then use on live.

I appreciate those concerns, but the number of Testers is dwindling, and most people don't even know how to get to Test. If you provide some incentive, more people will try it. Yes, some will game the system or use it to get freebie items on live, or to learn strats. But you are also putting the idea of Testing in front of a bunch of people. If 1 out of every 25 people who come over and Test things turns into a Dedicated Tester, then you have won. That is a great conversion rate.

Good points there Feldon.

In my eyes it is unrealistic to expect players to spend their free time testing the game for free. If I take myself for example, I have a very limited amount of free time so I would never spend it testing any game out there. If there was some reward involved I would definitely consider it.

Then if do test it then i epxect the bugs / issues raised to be dealt with. Maybe not the way I see it but nevertheless dealt with. If there is no feedback and the activity gets ignored then what is the point ?

Old 03-08-2012, 11:27 AM   #23
Vinyard

Loremaster

SoE could always go the route of Blizzard, for the test server.

Pre-made characters have close to top-tier raid gear (so people will have HM drunder gear or something). Makes it a lot easier to test stuff content, because it won't be limited to a small group of people.

And everyone loves uber gear. You'd get a lot of people playing on Test regularly, just because they have awesome gear and can do stuff they couldn't on live.

Vinyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 04:16 PM   #24
Morrias
Guild: Dynasty Reborn

Loremaster

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

SoE could always go the route of Blizzard, for the test server.

Pre-made characters have close to top-tier raid gear (so people will have HM drunder gear or something). Makes it a lot easier to test stuff content, because it won't be limited to a small group of people.

And everyone loves uber gear. You'd get a lot of people playing on Test regularly, just because they have awesome gear and can do stuff they couldn't on live.

There's a perma spawned beta buffer on Test Copy, it's been there since Velious came out..

Morrias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 04:37 PM   #25
Ruut Li

Loremaster

/scratches head

Why would soe start to reward testers when its quite clear that they dont value the test server much at all anymore. Im 100% sure they are not interested in putting forth the tiniest work effort for testing.

Im sorry but this discussion is completely pointless and a waste of time. SoE has a game plan, and that plan is working as intended.

Ruut Li is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:01 PM   #26
tkia

Tester

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

If the content is tested and balanced to a bunch of toons wearing close to top tier raid gear then it will be mostly unplayable for Mr Average when it goes live.

tkia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:52 PM   #27
Deago

Loremaster

Well before I got on test....

after awhile on test...

Old 03-09-2012, 06:58 AM   #28
Golbezz

Loremaster

tkia wrote:

If the content is tested and balanced to a bunch of toons wearing close to top tier raid gear then it will be mostly unplayable for Mr Average when it goes live. 

Only if the players wearing the gear actually know how to play their classes.

Look at DoV for example, when contested kael opened you had raiders running thru the zone playing their PQ geared alts and killing just fine yet you put a group of casuals in that same gear and they wipe to the first giant in the zone.

Then the zone got nerfed.

The casuals still complained it was too hard.

The fact is that pre-nerf contested kael could be done with just PQ gear by players who were able to work together in a group. The problem with most content isn't the difficulty of the content but the ability of casual players to work as an effective group. Most casual players seem to lack the skills of working together in a group, possibly because they solo-quested or were powerleveled to 90.

Golbezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:23 AM   #29
Kasar

Loremaster

Doesn't test have a permanent xp boost?  I recall that being the only incentive I'd ever heard about, and since leveling these days isn't that daunting...

Kasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:32 AM   #30
Elomort

Loremaster

DamselInDistress wrote:

Your initiative is great and good luck with it.

In a mere two weeks playing I am surprised you can state that as a fact.

From the beta experience in December last year, long before you started the game, the developers were very responsive tot he feedback, highly so.

Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.
Elomort is offline   Reply With Quote