EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > The Development Corner > In Testing Feedback
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-28-2012, 07:44 PM   #91
Hordolin Awanagin

Tester

Now I'm going through windows updates to make sure it doesn't re-break on applying any updates that need re-applied after the reinstall of Directx. Will post if I find something.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:50 PM   #92
Heelo
Server: Nagafen
Guild: Onyx

Loremaster

Hordolin Awanagin wrote:

Direct-X issue. I just got home, tried to log in, crashed. Said hrm... went to the testserver install directory and double-clicked everquest2.exe and it pops a message about a missing directx dll file.

Went to Microsoft and downloaded this:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...ails.aspx?id=35

Right clicked, run as administrator, installed it. Now I'm in game and everything is working.

bingo!  

Heelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:05 PM   #93
Mekeron

Loremaster

OMG OMG OMG TY TY TY this has worked for me ty so much..... how do people find these fixes i'm such a noob

Old 06-28-2012, 08:16 PM   #94
Kuulei

Tester

Woot Thanks!

Old 06-28-2012, 08:30 PM   #95
Azigon
Server: Unrest
Guild: Ebonlore

Loremaster

Still getting a crash issue at "Recieving Zone Info" after updating DirectX. My issue must be unrelated.

Azigon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:34 PM   #96
Hordolin Awanagin

Tester

[email protected] wrote:

Still getting a crash issue at "Recieving Zone Info" after updating DirectX. My issue must be unrelated.

Yes, unrelated. The crash this addresses is before getting to character select. Are you trying to get into Test or Test_copy? Where was your character when you did the /testcopy add command if it's test_copy? If it was a house or a guild hall you need to deleted the copy and re-copy from outside a house/guildhall.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:36 PM   #97
Eshaac

Tester

YES reinstalling directx did it.. SMILEY  Thanks a million Hordolin.. SMILEY

Eshaac

Test;

Eshaac 84 Ranger, 92 Jeweler ; Eshaack 92 Beastlord, 37 Provisioner ; Faelander 20 Assassin, 20 Woodworker

Curley 32 SK, 32 Alchemist ; Squint 20 Mystic, 22 Sage

Eshaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:58 PM   #98
Brigh

Loremaster

Nice try on the server downtime today but I still crash on loading a character to test or test copy so I am still SOL on viewing the updates. This is on Windows 7 that already has older Dx installed on it. This is with characters copied over from homes/gh AND absolutely NEW characters created on Test itself!

-Stephen Colbert

CoD3 double XP Rank Up promotion lesson for kids
Brigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:02 PM   #99
Hordolin Awanagin

Tester

Brigh wrote:

Nice try on the server downtime today but I still crash on loading a character to test or test copy so I am still SOL on viewing the updates. This is on Windows 7 that already has older Dx installed on it. This is with characters copied over from homes/gh AND absolutely NEW characters created on Test itself!

So you're getting to character select? If you're getting to character select then it's a different issue. Do a full scan/asset check/verify (whatever it's called these days)

Old 06-28-2012, 09:12 PM   #100
Brigh

Loremaster

Hordolin Awanagin wrote:

Brigh wrote:

So you're getting to character select? If you're getting to character select then it's a different issue. Do a full scan/asset check/verify (whatever it's called these days)

I did that already yesterday.

I give up. Neither server will load for me so I am going to completely delete the test server folder.

-Stephen Colbert

Old 06-28-2012, 09:34 PM   #101
Azigon
Server: Unrest
Guild: Ebonlore

Loremaster

Fixed it.

I had ProfitUI enabled somehow. Deleting all the quest journal related files fixed it, as well as implied and normal targets.

Azigon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:49 PM   #102
Hordolin Awanagin

Tester

[email protected] wrote:

Fixed it.

I had ProfitUI enabled somehow. Deleting all the quest journal related files fixed it, as well as implied and normal targets.

Good info to know.

Summary: if you're not getting to character select, reinstall directx. If you are but getting booted after trying to enter with a character, kill your custom UI (EQ2Maps doesn't seem affected) and/or check the UI provider for an update/fix.

EDIT: and it looks like the server just crashed.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:55 PM   #103
Aneova
Server: Kithicor
Guild: Masters of the Universe

Loremaster

Test copy locked down for anyone else?

Originally Posted by Smed: I've been a regular lurker on this site for a while but I wanted to step in here and dispel something that's just plain not true - I don't have my name highlighted here, but anyone that doubts it's me can email me at [email protected] and I'll happily reply. We aren't going to be allowing RMT in any way, shape or form on the non-exchange enabled EQ II servers. Period. End of statement. In any event, I wanted to stop in and at least set the record straight - you aren't going to be seeing RMT allowed on the non-exchange enabled servers.

John Smedley President, Sony Online Entertainment
Aneova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:57 PM   #104
Hordolin Awanagin

Tester

[email protected] wrote:

Test copy locked down for anyone else?

Test and Test_copy are both. Emergency update or a crash. Shouldn't be too long.

Old 06-29-2012, 01:29 AM   #105
Riftsburn

Tester

Yay, doing the Directx thing worked! I seriously want to thank those of you folks, my fellow players, the folks who kinda stayed on this till it was figured out.  SMILEY

Riftsburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:06 AM   #106
Brigh

Loremaster

It may have been a custom UI issue but it is strange as I don't ever remember playing on these servers. If I had I would think characters would be showing up at character select. Deleting the entire testserver folder and redownloading fixed the issue what ever it was.

-Stephen Colbert

Old 06-29-2012, 06:40 AM   #107
Whilhelmina
Server: Storms
Guild: Les Furies d Innoruuk

Tester

Copying this from other thread: the UI file that changed and will baring you from logging in if you have a custom UI is journal.active.xml

Delete it and it'll work.

Whilhelmina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:57 AM   #108
Cuora

Tester

The DirectX fix worked for me!  Thank you!  Typing this from my in game browser window currently in re-vamped Qeynos on Test!

Chiloh-92-Wizard- Test- "Collateral Damage"

Cuora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:03 PM   #109
Ingerimm
Server: Valor
Guild: Das Schwarze Auge

Loremaster

I had started a few days ago the same problem after reinstall the product, once installed directx 9.x .... the video seems to need it. The download version of EQ2 installed it no longer!

Old 06-29-2012, 04:05 PM   #110
Hordolin Awanagin

Tester

Brigh wrote:

It may have been a custom UI issue but it is strange as I don't ever remember playing on these servers. If I had I would think characters would be showing up at character select. Deleting the entire testserver folder and redownloading fixed the issue what ever it was.

Just FYI, when you switch to Public Test, it copies your live game installation over to the Testserver directory then patches it. That is how the custom UI stuff got into the testserver directory and made it not work.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:29 PM   #111
Ellenroh_001

Loremaster

Hordolin Awanagin wrote:

Direct-X issue. I just got home, tried to log in, crashed. Said hrm... went to the testserver install directory and double-clicked everquest2.exe and it pops a message about a missing directx dll file.

Went to Microsoft and downloaded this:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...ails.aspx?id=35

Right clicked, run as administrator, installed it. Now I'm in game and everything is working.

Yay!  This worked for me.  Thank you!

Ellenroh_001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:46 AM   #112
tkia

Tester

Re-installing directx also worked for me and this is precisely the version that I was already running. So the question becomes: 1. What did the update break in the link to directx? 2. What are the devs doing to fix it so that it doesn't happen going live? Given the number of people here who had the problem, if it goes live in its current state about half the player base are going to end up having to reinstall directx. I suspect about half of those simply won't bother and will move onto another game.
tkia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:04 AM   #113
Uwkete-of-Crushbone

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Copying this from other thread: the UI file that changed and will baring you from logging in if you have a custom UI is journal.active.xml

Hmm, sounds good, especially since my DirectX version is up to 11 now and I'd prefer not to have to "reinstall" back down to 9...but what's the path to get to the UI directory?  I looked up what I thought was the right one, but there's no file by this name there.

BTW, it's early August now, and unless folks had success across the board but then had recent problems, it's apparently been down since late June.  Does not bode well. :-/

Uwk

P.S. I have WinXP; that doesn't seem to be making a difference? --U.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:50 AM   #114
Hordolin Awanagin

Tester

Uwkete-of-Crushbone wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Hmm, sounds good, especially since my DirectX version is up to 11 now and I'd prefer not to have to "reinstall" back down to 9...but what's the path to get to the UI directory?  I looked up what I thought was the right one, but there's no file by this name there.

BTW, it's early August now, and unless folks had success across the board but then had recent problems, it's apparently been down since late June.  Does not bode well. :-/

Uwk

P.S. I have WinXP; that doesn't seem to be making a difference? --U.

Just to be clear.

The UI file issue has the symptom of hitting play on the launchpad, then choosing a character, then hitting play.

The DirectX issue has the sumptom of Hitting play on the launchpad, seeing a black screen, then error message.

If you never get to character select, seriously, try the Directx 90c reinstall. And this doesn't downgrade directx 11, this re-registers the correct DLL files that are used by 9 and 11 remains intact.