EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Support Forums > Tech Area > General Tech Support Questions
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-24-2012, 04:38 PM   #1
Hitomage

Loremaster

After the patch today, I have to download assets after each zone.  It is taking me forever to zone, and the game has a ton of lag now.  Is this a patch bug, or something they instituted now?

Hitomage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:24 PM   #2
Fugazl

Loremaster

Bam! get your post moved Bam! get no answer Bam! and won't from a red!

For some reason last patch kicked on my media player center sharing. Not sure if it has happened to anyone else.

Check under show all users processes in task manager.

Fugazl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 04:25 PM   #3
TSR-JoshuaM

Customer Service

Open a support ticket and include your DXDIAG/MSINFo files, we'll review your running services and attempt to make suggestions and/or reproduce/resolve the issue.

Technical Support Representative

Sony Online Entertainment

How to Contact Support:

https://help.station.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/28939

How to Create a DXDIAG/MSINFO

https://help.station.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/28973
TSR-JoshuaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 01:28 AM   #4
Zxendor

Loremaster

Ok so let me be the first to say that having tech support look at your DXDIAG/MSINFO has absolutly nothing to do with this issue. I challenge technical support to come up with one logical reason why ANY part of a personal computer configuration would have ANYTHING to do with the way the game downloads files.

That is an authentication issue where as the game does not realize it already has the information downloaded. It has absolutly nothing to do with your PC config.

Here's what i did. I deleted everything in the asset cache folder. I turned streaming on. I left my computer running all night untill it was done downloading the 14.4 some gig of information. I turned streaming off. I exited the game.

This downloader will not stop streaming the same information over and over again. I watched it for days as it tried downloading that same 14.4 some gig over and over and all it did was create duplicates of the same initially downloaded files while giving them a differeny number at the end of the file. When EQ decided it needed close to 80 gig of space that's when i realized the downloader is broken.

This is an issue of the game programming not realizing you already have the information downloaded.

Zxendor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 01:20 PM   #5
Uwkete-of-Crushbone

Loremaster

Zxendor wrote:

Here's what i did. I deleted everything in the asset cache folder. I turned streaming on. I left my computer running all night untill it was done downloading the 14.4 some gig of information. I turned streaming off. I exited the game.

This downloader will not stop streaming the same information over and over again. I watched it for days as it tried downloading that same 14.4 some gig over and over and all it did was create duplicates of the same initially downloaded files while giving them a differeny number at the end of the file. When EQ decided it needed close to 80 gig of space that's when i realized the downloader is broken.

This is an issue of the game programming not realizing you already have the information downloaded.

Hnh!  I'm beginning to wonder if that's the issue I'm having with Critical Error memory notices after it starts pumping in hundreds of thousands of K of Mem Usage; it didn't before.....AoD, I'm guessing, and I started getting the bad "crits" just this week...curious.  I was able to play for about 5-10 minutes on Test, and a couple of hours on Crushbone, before everything went kablooey and it tried to tell me I had 6-7 instances of EQ2 running (on the two separate play occasions; 5-6 of these "EQ2"s were Critical Memory errors.  Had to do "Close Group" to finally get them all to shut up, as Task Manager was throwing up its hands in despair).

I have an XP, no streaming, and a very old and small video card (though I have been able to play fairly well in the past, with only the occasional warning about Virtual Memory being too low; this did not affect being able to play the game).  Tried adjusting the Graphics Options way down in game, which helped my FPS marginally, but it didn't help anything else. :-/

Here's a snapshot of what I got once; the multiple borders are because there was a pile of errors one on top of the other (there's 7 total "EQ2"s in that group button on the Taskbar).

Hmm...bad link, no cookie!  Here's a text description of the top one of the pile: "Application ran out of memory when requesting 32784 bytes (limit: 1151 MB, current: 1151 MB)"

I know I have an old, clugey video card, but this is a new one on me. :-/

Uwk

Old 01-27-2012, 03:13 PM   #6
TSR-JoshuaM

Customer Service

Zxendor wrote:

Ok so let me be the first to say that having tech support look at your DXDIAG/MSINFO has absolutly nothing to do with this issue. I challenge technical support to come up with one logical reason why ANY part of a personal computer configuration would have ANYTHING to do with the way the game downloads files.

That is an authentication issue where as the game does not realize it already has the information downloaded. It has absolutly nothing to do with your PC config.

Challenge accepted.

Why would your PC attempt to redownload all that data and how could something on your PC possibly cause this?  Well I got the answser for you! SMILEY

In testing we noticed that sandbox/virtual modes for antivirus software, a popular feature in most active protections for well known antivirus software.  Here's an entire explanation on that matter!

Many antivirus and antimalware software does this and reviewing your loaded modules and services might uncover a well known piece of software that does this.  It's resolved about 2/3rds of the incoming contacts about this specific type of issue.  

So when protected by this type of feature and running our LaunchPad, the simulated environment doesn't recognize all of the assets, it's isolated.  However, even though it is actually re-downloading it, it is not overwriting your original files, no additional data is being written once you end the sandbox environment, i.e. disable the software imposing it.

http://anti-virus-rants.blogspot.co...is-sandbox.html

what is a sandbox?

in the anti-malware sense a sandbox is a (generally) simulated computer environment in which untrusted software (ie. potential malware) can be run while still keeping the trusted host environment isolated from it...

How to Contact Support:

Old 01-27-2012, 05:30 PM   #7
Zxendor

Loremaster

Here are the only things you're missing.

1. This is an issue of the game programming not realizing you already have the information downloaded. Even though AV may be the cause the result comes down to the games inability to work with the software.

2. You do not need to collect an msconfig or a dxdiag in order to ask a customer if they are running AV. If the AV is the issue then it can be tested in a single phone call or message post. There's no need to waste yours and customers time asking for dxdiag and msconfig information and peeling through it while a question to the customer gives you a quicker answer. In technical support the general rule is to try the quickest things first.

Also: Antivirus products are a de facto standard on every home computer. It's time programmers learn how to work with it. There's always an exception for minor/free brands but there's no way a streaming product should be put on the market without a field test on a pc with each major brand of av software. (That is obviously a dev issue not a support issue)

Old 01-27-2012, 05:36 PM   #8
TSR-JoshuaM

Customer Service

Zxendor wrote:

Here are the only things you're missing.

1. This is an issue of the game programming not realizing you already have the information downloaded. Even though AV may be the cause the result comes down to the games inability to work with the software.

Nope, didn't miss that, it's just not accurate.  Do more research on this very specific scenario I laid out for you in regards to sandbox mode.  This is an issue of software creating a virtual environment where 'nothing is real', so to speak.

2. You do not need to collect an msconfig or a dxdiag in order to ask a customer if they are running AV. If the AV is the issue then it can be tested in a single phone call or message post. There's no need to waste yours and customers time asking for dxdiag and msconfig information and peeling through it while a question to the customer gives you a quicker answer. In technical support the general rule is to try the quickest things first.

Wasting time is having a back and forth when I could just get ALL the info up front that would allow me to not only diagnose THIS scenario, but countless others.  

Also: Antivirus products are a de facto standard on every home computer. It's time programmers learn how to work with it. There's always an exception for minor/free brands but there's no way a streaming product should be put on the market without a field test on a pc with each major brand of av software. (That is obviously a dev issue not a support issue)

We don't support your AV, you do, exceptions can be put in to your AV software and is your responsibility to do so which makes your entire stance moot.  Set an exception, move on with your day, SOE isn't an untrusted source in that regard so don't let your software treat it that way.

And more from me,

In Technical Support it's always get the facts, not the opinion of someone whom you cannot control the technical ability of nor can you ensure what you are being told is the accurate (as opposed to the truth, as that implies someone may be lying, the simply fact is they might not be entirely aware, especially with retail systems where you don't control what software it came with...), nor does it address the many other various reasons such errors can occur which can all be reviewed in a single fell swoop.

Unless of course you want a "hey disable AV" recommendation, followed by a "It didn't work", followed by another suggestion, followed by another response, followed by... you get the point.

What you suggest is counter-productive to the very goal you claim it should support.  Get all info from diagnostic files in 1 fell swoop, review it all, make recommendations.  Asking you 1 thing at a time is far less efficient for the very purpose you are trying to support.  Pretty obviously too.

As for any dev issues, you really do need to research sandbox modes.  Those can be disabled without disabling the AV/Antimalware product itself and is only 1 of many reasons you may encounter a problem.

How to Contact Support:

Old 01-27-2012, 09:33 PM   #9
Zxendor

Loremaster

"This is an issue of software creating a virtual environment where 'nothing is real', so to speak."

And it's this particular game that can't deal with it. While technicaly it is not the game per say it helps to write a program that is good enough not to conflict with AV to begin with. Again, this is a dev issue not a support issue.

"Wasting time is having a back and forth when I could just get ALL the info up front that would allow me to not only diagnose THIS scenario, but countless others."

so the flip side of that is what if you did ask the customer to disable AV and what if they were able to do it and what if that did isolate the problem? Then the problem gets solved alot quicker then having to read over config files. You souldn't always assume that the simple solutions never work. You waste alot of production hours with that way of thinking.

"In Technical Support it's always get the facts, not the opinion of someone whom you cannot control the technical ability of nor can you ensure what you are being told is the accurate (as opposed to the truth, as that implies someone may be lying, the simply fact is they might not be entirely aware, especially with retail systems where you don't control what software it came with...), nor does it address the many other various reasons such errors can occur which can all be reviewed in a single fell swoop."You shouldn't just automaticly think that everyone who calls you or posts has 0 ability level. Give each customer the benefit of the doubt atleast. It's pretty unprofessional and insulting for you to think that every customer you talk to falls into those narrowly defined categories.

If you have what appears to be an integrity issue then you can always ask for the config files but atleast give basic side by side troubleshooting a chance.When the first thing you ask for are config files without trying anything else it really gives the impression that you're not trying.

The problem with some technical support representatives today is that they don't know good customer service. Good customer service involves how you work with the customer including the language you use.