EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > The Development Corner > Testers Only
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-18-2012, 06:25 AM   #1
DocFlareon

Loremaster

The flag for Testers Only is not working.  While I do have a character on Test (Varzyk, Sarnak wizzy: Heroes of Test), I did not have access to this forum until yesterday.  Strange thing is, when I visit the forums using a browser that had never previously accessed the forums, I could see Testers Only as a guest.

(EDIT: Corrected mistyped word. ("to" for "the"))

DocFlareon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:48 AM   #2
Soresha

Tester

Yeah I PMed Piestro about this yesterday, no response yet (well it is a weekend). But it seems the forum permissions were disrupted when they moved us under the Development Corner.

Since you play on Test server (and I've probably said hello to you in HoT at some point!) you can PM Piestro and ask to be flagged as such, it'll turn your name pale blue and give you access to this server forum (once they restore the permissions).

And to everyone straying in here by accident in the meantime: this is really NOT the place to post your feedback or questions about GU63. Please keep it all in one place to help our devs, under the In Testing Feedback forum. And add to the key threads which already exist if it's quest, zone or NPC art related. This place is more like a cross between a multi-guild/community forum and somewhere to shout "omg you broke Test server again - plz fix". SMILEY

Thanks.

Old 03-18-2012, 02:10 PM   #3
Skeez1e

Tester

Maybe they finally did the math and realized most of the people on the 'approved' list didn't play on Test anyways! 

It was always considered a perq - for those actually playing on the server (as opposed to tourists who stop in to see the new sights) - wasn't much but, still, it was something.  Maybe a good time to make a new forum with a new/different set of requirements to get access?

Old 03-19-2012, 02:26 PM   #4
Piestro

Community Relations

Hey folks,

Since I've been Community Manager, I've gotten a fair number of Private Messages about getting access to the Tester's Only forum. After speaking with a number of former CRM's for EQII, I came to the understanding that this forum was de facto public. We would simply grant access to this forum to whomever asked.

As such, spending 20 or 30 minutes a week granting access to this forum served no useful purpose. A better solution was to make it public, since it was effectively already public (with the caveat that access had to be requested).

Now that this is the case, people have pointed out that one of the main reasons they would like to keep the forum private was to cut down on potential trolling. We can certainly understand and sympathize with this concern. The best way to deal with any potential trolling in this subforum is to use the report a post feature. If people are trolling, or threads are mistakenly posted here that should be in the general "In Testing" subform simply report the post and we'll take care of it. That's a better solution to trolling anyways. SMILEY

Please let us know if you have any other concerns, we'll be happy to take a look and see what we can do.

Thanks,

EverQuest Community Relations Manager

Piestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 02:32 PM   #5
Cyliena
Server: Everfrost
Guild: Crusaders of Neriak

Fansite Staff

Piestro wrote:

Hey folks,

Since I've been Community Manager, I've gotten a fair number of Private Messages about getting access to the Tester's Only forum. After speaking with a number of former CRM's for EQII, I came to the understanding that this forum was de facto public. We would simply grant access to this forum to whomever asked.

As such, spending 20 or 30 minutes a week granting access to this forum served no useful purpose. A better solution was to make it public, since it was effectively already public (with the caveat that access had to be requested).

Now that this is the case, people have pointed out that one of the main reasons they would like to keep the forum private was to cut down on potential trolling. We can certainly understand and sympathize with this concern. The best way to deal with any potential trolling in this subforum is to use the report a post feature. If people are trolling, or threads are mistakenly posted here that should be in the general "In Testing" subform simply report the post and we'll take care of it. That's a better solution to trolling anyways.

Please let us know if you have any other concerns, we'll be happy to take a look and see what we can do.

Thanks,

My only annoyance with it being public at this point is that people are posting issues here that should be in the In Testing forum.

Cyliena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 02:37 PM   #6
Piestro

Community Relations

Cyliena wrote:

My only annoyance with it being public at this point is that people are posting issues here that should be in the In Testing forum.

Please report them with that fact. It's very easy for us to move threads.

Old 03-19-2012, 02:50 PM   #7
Cloudrat

Tester

Spin it however you like, but my gut reaction is here is one more thing you don't have time for that made being a  tester feel as if we were actually part of the process.  Permission was not granted to just anyone in the past, so I am not sure why you believe this was de facto public.

Old 03-19-2012, 02:56 PM   #8
Tigress

Loremaster

i used to play on test all the time and only quit after learning & accepting that the /bug reports were ignored.  i didn't know that there was a special forum that i should have asked for permission to gain access.  i'm glad to see the forum open bc it gives me hope that the test server will become a viable server and useful to the game again.  ty.

Tigress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:00 PM   #9
Whilhelmina
Server: Storms
Guild: Les Furies d Innoruuk

Tester

Piestro wrote:

Hey folks,

Now that this is the case, people have pointed out that one of the main reasons they would like to keep the forum private was to cut down on potential trolling. We can certainly understand and sympathize with this concern. The best way to deal with any potential trolling in this subforum is to use the report a post feature. If people are trolling, or threads are mistakenly posted here that should be in the general "In Testing" subform simply report the post and we'll take care of it. That's a better solution to trolling anyways.

Thanks,

Asking us nicely if we wanted or not for the forum to be public would have been nice perhaps? Oops, sorry, spoke of "SoE" and "Nice" in same sentance *rolls eyes*

This place was a part for us, our little testing community, to speak to each other, tell what we could do, what were our pretty specific problems, to organize and to chat, apart from the main stream of players and all the tourists that come to test twice a year for half an hour because they want a sneak peak.

After being ignored by community since Kiara left, ignored devs, getting insulted by SJ , now our dwindling community is loosing it's last private place where we could interract with each other on this board. It makes me sad.

Whilhelmina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:47 PM   #10
Eshaac

Tester

hhmm, Not really sure how to put this, but here goes.  I think it is more a matter of not wanting to bother checking to see if in fact the person/persons wanting access to this forum are actually test players and not just casual visitors.  When I first was granted access by "Kiara" to this forum you had to be someone that actually played on test and not just once in a blue moon.  Those that do actually play on test more than a couple times or so a month.

Is it really that hard to do?  Give me rights to check them and I'll be happy to check.  I play on test every, "EVERY" single day and I can pretty much see who is and who is not a regular tester.  This forum was where we could check with each other on what doesn't seem to be working for us and if it is also happening to others who are not on at the same time we are without having to scroll through a bunch of unnecessary posts.

Maybe another approach would be to make this forum so that only those that actually play/test on test server are able to post in this forum.  Making it easier for us to do what we do and allowing others the ability to see what problems you all are working on before whatever goes to live.

Anyway, just my pennies worth

Eshaac

Test;

Eshaac 84 Ranger, 92 Jeweler ; Eshaack 92 Beastlord, 37 Provisioner ; Faelander 20 Assassin, 20 Woodworker

Curley 32 SK, 32 Alchemist ; Squint 20 Mystic, 22 Sage

Eshaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:10 PM   #11
tkia

Tester

Piestro wrote:

As such, spending 20 or 30 minutes a week granting access to this forum served no useful purpose.

Is spending 20 or 30 minutes a week making your testers feel appreciated really too much effort these days?  Testers, you know, the people that give up their own time to test your stuff for FREE for you?  And we keep getting asked why more people won't come and test stuff ...

tkia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:50 PM   #12
Yimway

Loremaster

tkia wrote:

Piestro wrote:

As such, spending 20 or 30 minutes a week granting access to this forum served no useful purpose.

Is spending 20 or 30 minutes a week making your testers feel appreciated really too much effort these days?  Testers, you know, the people that give up their own time to test your stuff for FREE for you?  And we keep getting asked why more people won't come and test stuff ...

The goal appears to be to encourage the regular playbase to be more engaged in test_copy, I'm not sure how much value they still find in the legacy test community given their current drive / attitude.

I'm still waiting to see how well they respond to all the feedback they're getting as a result of this push.  If GU63 launches without glairingly bad things that were pointed out in testing forums, then perhaps this new method has merrit.  But for now, the jury is still out.  Given how it looks like CM removal is going live tomorrow without addressing the problems they created with it, well, yeah its all business as usual.

Honestly, with the push for communication to only be in one place, I'm surprised they're keeping this forum around.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:58 PM   #13
Soresha

Tester

[email protected] wrote:

tkia wrote:

Piestro wrote:

The goal appears to be to encourage the regular playbase to be more engaged in test_copy, I'm not sure how much value they still find in the legacy test community given their current drive / attitude.

I'm still waiting to see how well they respond to all the feedback they're getting as a result of this push.  If GU63 launches without glairingly bad things that were pointed out in testing forums, then perhaps this new method has merrit.  But for now, the jury is still out.  Given how it looks like CM removal is going live tomorrow without addressing the problems they created with it, well, yeah its all business as usual.

Honestly, with the push for communication to only be in one place, I'm surprised they're keeping this forum around.

To repeat myself, this is NOT a forum for feedback.

The forum description clearly says:

A forum for people who actually play on Test server. This forum is for discussions specific to the Test server community, not general testing.

And if SOE don't have any use for regular player-testers on a Test server any more, and won't support our community, then just put us out of our misery.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:22 PM   #14
Raknid

Loremaster

Soresha wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

tkia wrote:

Piestro wrote:

To repeat myself, this is NOT a forum for feedback.

The forum description clearly says:

A forum for people who actually play on Test server. This forum is for discussions specific to the Test server community, not general testing.

And if SOE don't have any use for regular player-testers on a Test server any more, and won't support our community, then just put us out of our misery.

No other server has it's own forum....just saying.

Raknid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:49 PM   #15
Whilhelmina

Tester

Raknid wrote:

*points at Storms, Valor and the late Innovation forums*

It's not really the same thing anyway. We're speaking of a very low population server, in a difficult playing conditions (this GU is the first GU in years that doesn't breaks everything around). Having this board allowed us to keep track of who could make what item, of when a group was shedulded, of who is whom, of what bugs are curently crashing the game, of what exploits we found that should be corrected but shouldn't be mentionned on an open channel (like the very nice bug with the crafted charm that allowed to level transmuting 1-450 in a couple of hours of craft grinding).

Old 03-19-2012, 09:17 PM   #16
Tigress

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

tkia wrote:

Piestro wrote:

RE:  (WAITING TO SEE.) 

me too.  like i said before, i quit playing test bc everything that was /bug or /feedback was always ignored.  there just wasn't any point to being on test.  i used to play regularly but felt that i was wasting my time, the server became empty and my guild that was very active when i joined is a ghosttown.  there was no point of testing bc we were all ignored.  many ppl left bc what was the point of being there?  this update is the test for me to see if its worth it for me to go back to test or not.

Tigress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:53 PM   #17
Raknid

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Raknid wrote:

*points at Storms, Valor and the late Innovation forums*

THose are different language duplicates of these forums. There isn't a "Storms Server" forum or "Valor Server" forum like there used to be here for each of the English(language) servers is there?

Old 03-20-2012, 10:32 AM   #18
Whilhelmina

Tester

Yes, there is even if it's not really relevant anymore as there's only 1 server per language

For French section, we have:* "PVP" which was for the late Gorenaire Server (French PVP): http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/...m?forum_id=2503* "Storms (French Language Server)et Storms-marché" which was for Storms proper

In German section there is:* Valor section: http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/....m?forum_id=310* late Innovation section: http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/....m?forum_id=431* a PVP section that was probably used for the late german PVP server (Venekor?): http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/...m?forum_id=2496

Can't tell for Japanese as I can't understand it but it's probably that one for Sebilis: http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/...m?forum_id=2543

Time to go back to the separate Test board I suppose.

Old 03-20-2012, 12:25 PM   #19
feldon30

Fansite Staff

Piestro wrote:

After speaking with a number of former CRM's for EQII, I came to the understanding that this forum was de facto public. We would simply grant access to this forum to whomever asked.

Every year, there's an expansion, and as such there's a Beta NDA forum. Since everyone already knows that such a forum exists, it is de facto public. Looking forward to Beta being an open/public forum this year.

feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:28 PM   #20
Yimway

Loremaster

feldon30 wrote:

Every year, there's an expansion, and as such there's a Beta NDA forum. Since everyone already knows that such a forum exists, it is de facto public. Looking forward to Beta being an open/public forum this year.

See GU63 and the test forums SMILEY

Its pretty much an open beta on what is close to what compromises an 'expansion' in today's game.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:48 PM   #21
Piestro

Community Relations

feldon30 wrote:

Piestro wrote:

After speaking with a number of former CRM's for EQII, I came to the understanding that this forum was de facto public. We would simply grant access to this forum to whomever asked.

There's a difference between "everyone knows they exist" and "anyone can get in by asking". The "Testers Only" forum has been in the later state for quite some time.

[email protected] wrote:

It's not really the same thing anyway. We're speaking of a very low population server, in a difficult playing conditions (this GU is the first GU in years that doesn't breaks everything around). Having this board allowed us to keep track of who could make what item, of when a group was shedulded, of who is whom, of what bugs are curently crashing the game, of what exploits we found that should be corrected but shouldn't be mentionned on an open channel (like the very nice bug with the crafted charm that allowed to level transmuting 1-450 in a couple of hours of craft grinding).

Having the forum visible should actually allow more participation from those who weren't aware of its existence but still played on test. With the exception of openly discussing exploits these functions should in large be improved by having the forums be open.

Old 03-20-2012, 06:21 PM   #22
Whilhelmina

Tester

Well, I'm pretty sure you poor mods already had way more job with this board than the poor "20-30 minutes of your precious time" it took. Thanks for telling us we have absolutely no respect nor understanding for us, sir, and have a very nice day (with 20-30 minutes more of your time).

Old 03-20-2012, 06:47 PM   #23
Cloudrat

Tester

[email protected] wrote:

Well, I'm pretty sure you poor mods already had way more job with this board than the poor "20-30 minutes of your precious time" it took. Thanks for telling us we have absolutely no respect nor understanding for us, sir, and have a very nice day (with 20-30 minutes more of your time).

I agree that the recent changes in hierarchy has resulted in some who have little understanding of how the test server and it's inhabitants work.

And as far as I remember  access was not handed out to just anyone who asked for it, there are many who told me they asked and didn't get it , long before the new guy decided it was too much trouble.

Old 03-20-2012, 06:49 PM   #24
Raknid

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Thanks for telling us we have absolutely no respect nor understanding for us

With the exception of the foreign language servers no other server even has a forum of their own.

I am not quite sure I understand how you can be so miffed. The server forum is still here, and by all indications it will stay, so how does simply having it visible consitute "no respect nor understanding?"

They are just treating you all like they did everyone else in the game...before they took our server forums away that is. At least you still have yours.

As Piestro said, they will move/delete/mod things that aren't appropriate, so I doubt very seriously that things are going to change all that much.

Besides, maybe having it visisble will encourage more participation. Given the limited population, there may not be enough people to run different bugs through different routines. Say there is an SK bug...maybe it affects only a certain AA...or maybe it affects only certain abilities... How many different SKs are there on test to try to reproduce it? Maybe someone sees a post here then logs onto to test or test copy and tries to repro it. That can only help right, and that is what you are there for?

Back a long time ago there was a forum for players that was only visible after a certain length of time. They ixnayed that forum. At least you all get to keep yours.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:07 PM   #25
Piestro

Community Relations

This post has moved: /eq2/posts/preList.m?topic_id=51533...post_id=5734683 Trolling

Old 03-20-2012, 07:32 PM   #26
Te'ana

Tester

As far as I know, this was the only server specific forum that was super secret. I believe anyone can go to the foreign language forums and post there if they can understand the language well enough to do so.

When I got access to this forum you had to post your interest on a 3rd party web site to get on the list for approval to access to this forum. I believe that was not a good thing to do because it gave off elitist vibes to the rest of the EQ2 community.

I understand the interest in feeling special, which is part of why so many folks like getting an early Beta invite. It is human nature to feel that way, but IMHO it is not really good for the game to have a 'secret society' for testers.

Te'ana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:45 PM   #27
Piestro

Community Relations

I do agree that the better way of handling this would be for me to have posted and let people know that the change was going to happen. Unfortunately I have severe time constraints, and chose not to do so because that would have delayed making these changes for at least a week or two. For that you have my apologies.

I felt, after consulting with a number of parties, that this was the better choice. Currently there are many people playing on test, because of the GU 63 content. This represents an opportunity to recruit and retain people who are currently testing, and allowing them to see the community that exists on tests increases the potential of this opportunity. While we may respectfully disagree on the reasons for this choice, no disrespect to the test community was intended.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:03 PM   #28
Mermut

Loremaster

Piestro wrote:

I do agree that the better way of handling this would be for me to have posted and let people know that the change was going to happen. Unfortunately I have severe time constraints, and chose not to do so because that would have delayed making these changes for at least a week or two. For that you have my apologies.

I felt, after consulting with a number of parties, that this was the better choice. Currently there are many people playing on test, because of the GU 63 content. This represents an opportunity to recruit and retain people who are currently testing, and allowing them to see the community that exists on tests increases the potential of this opportunity. While we may respectfully disagree on the reasons for this choice, no disrespect to the test community was intended.

Quick question.. when you say lots of people playing on test, do you mean test or test_copy? They are two very distinct servers with a different community. Test_copy has a very transient population where people tend not to feel much attachment because the server can be wiped at any time. On test, people tend to play there regularly and the only way to get a toon there is to make it there and level it up manually, no buffers, no gear merchants, etc. I agree that the game would be well served by a bigger population on test (not test_copy) but all the push seems to be for players to go to test_copy.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:11 PM   #29
Piestro

Community Relations

Mermut wrote:

Piestro wrote:

Quick question.. when you say lots of people playing on test, do you mean test or test_copy? They are two very distinct servers with a different community. Test_copy has a very transient population where people tend not to feel much attachment because the server can be wiped at any time. On test, people tend to play there regularly and the only way to get a toon there is to make it there and level it up manually, no buffers, no gear merchants, etc. I agree that the game would be well served by a bigger population on test (not test_copy) but all the push seems to be for players to go to test_copy.

I'm making the assumption that some players have chosen to go to test rather than test_copy. I have not been monitoring the server populations extensively. People who have played on test before, etc. might be more likely to go to test than test_copy. 

Old 03-21-2012, 09:24 AM   #30
Whilhelmina

Tester

There was another reason for this flag (and we usually advertised to Test players at that time): picking Testers for early access in beta. This was done up to SF (under Kiara), lapsed for TSO & Velious but Domino made a big push for it on AoD beta and all flagged Testers go a Friend & Family access to beta.

This was for a reason that I'll put bluntly: full-time Testers are used to bugs and, when seeing a bug, will document it, try to reproduce it, find workarounds and advertise game-crashing bugs (for exemple: don't ever pay your rent until next patch or you'll crash the server). Players wanting to just have a sight of the next candy will whine and just say "game crashes it sucks". Of course it doesn't mean that all players that don't play on Test do that or that Test players never whine, it was a generic comment. In AoD beta there was a player from Nagafen who did an amazing job at testing reforging and high end mechanics. But I'm pretty sure the reason why there were so few bugs in Beastlord levelling and Freeport quests was because flagged testers made it to beta early, thanks to Domino.

Another point is that Testers are usually used to search for the quest updates without just looking at ZAM or Wikia because it's just not in yet. The number of players reaching Beta and just asking "where is X mob for Y quest?" then "can't find X mob for Y quest, can I have the loc", and then "can't find mob Z for Y quest" is incredibly high, leading some of us to just create macros and spam them all the time to cut down the questions. It's mind numbing.