EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Class Discussion > Scout's Den > Ranger
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-23-2008, 06:10 AM   #1
profpedantic

Loremaster

i know all the min/max'ers out there are going to instantly jump on this and say, "you're completely gimping your dps by not dual wielding, nub!"

but... if the bow is the main weapon and most things are at 1/3- 1/8 hp if you completely unleash the bow fury by the time it gets to you.  Wouldn't a little extra block/mitigation help out.  besides, kinda reminds me of the Scout in DAoC.  But, why limit it to sword and board.  you can go spear and board, or dagger and board, or axe and board.

my ranger is currently only 20, and doing well with a sword and round shield.  but, later on, who knows?

so, will this work?  i know it will techically work, because i'm doing it, but when i reach t6 +, is it still going to be viable?

profpedantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 06:33 AM   #2
Mirdo

Loremaster

At most levels I used whatever items gave me the most dps and kited the mobs that weren't dead before they could reach me. A combination of stun potion and stun proc items can be used if you can't get access to very high damage bows (or in addition to the best bow you can get).

The Raincaller heritage bow in EoF has a nifty stun proc but I'm not sure how fast gear is out-levelled now experience gain at lower levels has been increased.

I'm not sure if a shield would really help much if you are toe to toe with a mob anyway.

Mirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 08:44 AM   #3
Boramyr

Loremaster

profpedantic wrote:

i know all the min/max'ers out there are going to instantly jump on this and say, "you're completely gimping your dps by not dual wielding, nub!"

so, will this work?  i know it will techically work, because i'm doing it, but when i reach t6 +, is it still going to be viable?

As you level it doesn't really matter, really you'll get to 80 either way just fine.  When you get to 80 and start to maximize dps your first sentence becomes funny.  It would be more "you're completely gimping your dps by caring about your melee autoattack and not using those slots to add ranged bonuses."

When you get to 80 and get Eagle's Talon you macro all your melee ca's to turn your ranged autoattack back on and never look back.  The best nonraider combo is actually a dagger and a shield.  The Sebilisian croaking dirk and the Voracious shield of striking.   Both modify your range.  If you can get it the Maestro's Flame is still awesome (comes from an epic x2 in Mistmoore Castle).  Lifespike is great if you raid SoH. 

Old 10-23-2008, 06:43 PM   #4
TheAssassin21

Loremaster

Boramyr wrote:

profpedantic wrote:

As you level it doesn't really matter, really you'll get to 80 either way just fine.  When you get to 80 and start to maximize dps your first sentence becomes funny.  It would be more "you're completely gimping your dps by caring about your melee autoattack and not using those slots to add ranged bonuses."

When you get to 80 and get Eagle's Talon you macro all your melee ca's to turn your ranged autoattack back on and never look back.  The best nonraider combo is actually a dagger and a shield.  The Sebilisian croaking dirk and the Voracious shield of striking.   Both modify your range.  If you can get it the Maestro's Flame is still awesome (comes from an epic x2 in Mistmoore Castle).  Lifespike is great if you raid SoH. 

^ TRUTH!

also, even some of the best raid toons use a shield...

TheAssassin21 is offline   Reply With Quote