EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Altar of Malice Beta > Class Discussion (AoM Beta) > Fighters
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-22-2014, 11:12 PM   #31
Maergoth

I don't like Shadowknights. I don't like Darkon. I don't even like the idea of buffing bloodletter. But to say SK doesn't have major problems is very wrong.

My opinion is simply that the issues with the class have very little to do with bloodletter, and more to do with their reliance on bloodletter.

Tanks die in EQ2. It's inevitable. No matter how good you are, you will die. Either someone in your group fails and your healer is chain dying trying to go save them, or you miraculously intercept something worth a damn and it takes a death prevent trigger.. something will happen. Even if it's just random huge hits.

If that happens to an SK at the beginning of a fight, they literally have no security of survival for the rest of the fight.

You see, Crusaders are tanks that occasionally rely on luck. The way our saves work, very little is certain. "hard saves" are non existent, outside of Furor and Stonewall. That death prevent is a bad luck safety net.

SKs lean on bloodletter because their survivability is the most uncertain.
You simply can't main tank with that amount of risk involved. And without bloodletter, the rest of the fight is a gamble.

Crusader save rotations just need to be addressed.

Paladin's isn't bad now, but our death prevent should really allow the use of priest death prevents while it is up. For exactly the same reason. 35% DR is our primary save. 35% DR isn't always enough. Our DP goes down, and we have to give the mob to someone else, because there is no way to be certain of our survival without those maintained death prevents.

I can't explain it without showing you, but my entire playstyle revolves around preserving my death prevent. If it is gone, I might as well be dead. Whether I can recast it or not is irrelevant, because I still won't be certain of my survivability for the next 2:30. And you can't slot someone in the main tank role on fights where that is a problem (Which is all of them).

At least SKs are supposed to be offtanks, and not have the mob full time. But if that's the case, they really need to shine as offtanks, and they do not.
Maergoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 11:30 PM   #32
Silzin

then it sounds like Pally's need to be tailored a bit more to the MT role so they are not reliant on the Death-save so much. Also SKs should be tailored a bit more so they are better at OTing and so they are less reliant on their death-save.
Silzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 11:52 PM   #33
Maergoth

That is absolutely what it sounds like. I'm a fan of focusing on the strengths instead of patching the weaknesses. It prevents every class from being able to do everything.. and when every class can do everything, you are directly balancing them against each other.

And time proves, over and over, that there is no way to balance every class for everything directly against every other class. Something will always be superior per the trends in new content.

So, large amounts of the problem are a result of content design decision, not necessarily class balance decision.

See: All mobs swinging slow and hard, instead of twice as fast for half as much.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:51 AM   #34
Darkon

Both crusader death saves should queue behind healer DP's.
Darkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 07:00 AM   #35
Meshuggahx

Seriously it might have been overpowered few exp ago to give sk's bloodletter to be recast in combat with how short fights were. But now with fights that are 20+ long it's crazy we can't recast it mid combat. I not only think it should be recast in combat i also think it should give another trigger in grandmaster rank (i don't care if the reuse goes up though to compensate).
Meshuggahx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 05:03 PM   #36
Maergoth

Fix the other problems with the class.
Reliance on bloodletter is a symptom.

You really want to balance your class around dying and death prevents, instead of surviving and contributing?
Old 10-31-2014, 07:45 AM   #37
Darkon

Sure. Rebalance all of the abilities of all tanks, or, just allow Bloodletter to be recast in combat, and allow the paladin DP to queue behind healer DP's. Which do you think is more likely to happen in the lifespan of this game? Really.

Corydonn, no offense but I don't think you've raided this expansion so your experience regarding high end raid tanking is limited to tanking x4's in BG's. I like you friend, but you really have no idea what you're talking about in regards to Shadowknight balance.

Currently tanking is Berserker/Guardian/Monk, all of them as unkillable gods, then Bruiser/Paladin, maybe then Bruiser then Paladin, and finally Shadowknight's.

It's not that the class is fundamentally broken. It's that every other class has better tools for every scenario.

It used to be that our class was useful because our base damage on abilities was superior to other tanks. However the SoE dev team has decided not to give potency to tanks, so now my abilities will do 150k DPS in comparison to a paladins 100k. It's just not relevant. I've begged for potency, but as that is apparently unfathomable for balance concerns, at least grant this one iota of help in regards to tank mechanics.

Set the reuse to be 2:30 or even 3:00 unmodifiable. Anything over 3 would be excessive considering how reliant we are on it, but this ability NEEDS to be able to be reused in combat to restore ANY parity of tank balance for the SK class.
Darkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 06:53 PM   #38
Genghes

I actually have to agree with you on something Darkon.... :O. Really though, sk dp should be casted in Combat. With the duration of most fights it definitely handy caps the sk. Cast in combat 3 minute reuse go
Genghes is offline   Reply With Quote