EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Class Discussion > Scout's Den > Ranger
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-02-2006, 11:14 PM   #1
Fennir

Loremaster

Ranger changes:- Stream of Arrows will now start working after the casting of the spell takes place and will update correctly on the last tick.- Stream of Arrows now has a small power cost with each arrow shot. Shots can be interrupted and have a minimum range.Well, I like the first line, as it means there probably won't be that 2-3 second lag before it starts working.The second line, not so much... but I can't say I didn't see it coming. SMILEY
Old 02-02-2006, 11:36 PM   #2
brandi7920

Loremaster

Well, it's semi-sucky, lol. I haven't run out of power in months. Can't say it's not fair, though.  SMILEY

I wonder about the disruption and minimum range...if a mob comes at me...does that mean Stream will turn off when the mob hits me and disrupts my arrow flinging...?

Bah, want to go home and go griffin diving and test out changes to Steam, etc. /pout

Have fun guys!

Old 02-02-2006, 11:40 PM   #3
Crychtonn

Loremaster

If it works like it sounds like I won't mind the change much.  Having the skill fire instantly after casting instead of having that 2-3 sec down time will keep the mob from running in your face.  If there ends up still being a time gap between casting and the firing sequence starting then this will be a very bad change.  Guess I'll find out tonight when I get home from work.

I find the change to the imbued rings slightly annoying.  I like that you don't have to keep casting the effect but I don't like that they will stack.  What is the point of the predator only Earthen Band with 22 Str when you can just wear two imbued Str rings that are 32 Str each.

Crychtonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 11:46 PM   #4
Fennir

Loremaster

Agreed about the rings, honestly.This is what screws up the item progression in the first place.  They release an expansion, then fix legendary crafted.  Then they fix fabled loot.  Then they fix legendary crafted again.  Then they "fix" legendary crafted again.Sucks on a raid when a nice no trade drops but it ends up selling to a vendor because crafted is better and no one wants to waste the DKP.
Old 02-03-2006, 12:41 AM   #5
KnightOfTheWo

General

Fennir wrote:Ranger changes:- Shots can be interrupted and have a minimum range.

Like Fennir, I guess I could see this one coming. I'll try to test this one out also...not sure how it will work but my question is the same as a previous poster: will Stream "shut down" when the mob reaches you, forcing you into melee? My problem with this would be that you really wouldn't be doing much more damage than you would by leading off with Triple Fire Master 2. For groups, I suppose it wouldn't matter as much, but using Stream like this while soloing would be pointless.Anyway, after testing I'll edit this post with my results. :smileyhappy:
Old 02-03-2006, 12:47 AM   #6
Blackin_DeMast

I absolutly agree and see this as a huge nurf to our solo skills.  If the "too close" message starts appearing with stream of arrows.   This is also the first time I have seen this change.  Does anyone know if it was on test or just thown in at the last minute?
Old 02-03-2006, 12:48 AM   #7
EverMan

Im fine with the change, I saw it coming but I really think the hate % on this ability needs to be dropped,  what's the point of having a ability that roots, stun, and pacify you and you get maybe 1 or 2 shots off before you get agro in a normal group.
Old 02-03-2006, 12:53 AM   #8
Blackin_DeMast

And when you get agro you have to mannually shut the skill off and start your melee attacks.
Old 02-03-2006, 12:58 AM   #9
Fennir

Loremaster

I really don't mind the extra hate gain.  Something as powerful as stream needs a few downsides.  To be honest, I always wondered why it didn't have a small recurring power cost like other class-defining spells.  It's also quite helpful if you need to save someone's [expletive haxx0red by Raijinn] in a group (like a healer or a mage), and this change will hopefully make that even easier (assuming it eliminates the start-lag).Anyways, the hate gain usually isn't an issue if you're in a group with a paladin or a troub.  I have been able to let Stream run its full duration in many raids and groups as long as I have someone controlling my agro.  If I don't, I usually just don't use the skill, or turn it off after 10-15 secs.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:00 AM   #10
brandi7920

Loremaster

Crychtonn wrote:

I find the change to the imbued rings slightly annoying.  I like that you don't have to keep casting the effect but I don't like that they will stack.  What is the point of the predator only Earthen Band with 22 Str when you can just wear two imbued Str rings that are 32 Str each.

I had this exact same thought. I've got the Earthen Band and it's pretty - but I have an extra vanadium ring of str on the broker - might have to take it off the market and use it.

I'm guessing since rings now stack I'll be getting a few extra orders...

Old 02-03-2006, 01:15 AM   #11
Siphar

Loremaster

i got the earthen band last night too. this sucks that crafted gear is now superior to fabled raid loot.

Also it mentioned the prismatic 2 duel wield was changed to add str and agi. What are the new stats anyone know?

Siphar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 01:34 AM   #12
klepp

Loremaster

yep, kiss our soloing ability goodbye... well atleast back to kiting it goes =/    The power cost addition, fine.. althougn not having one meant you were ok if you went oop on a raid, not htat it happens often...

but having a minimum range?  cmon now... with the extra hate the spell will be almost useless in a normal group and forget using it soloing now, might as well slap the mob w/ a triple and a debilitate before it gets to ya.    

klepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 01:35 AM   #13
klepp

Loremaster

HUGE NERF

seriously, maybe they ought to consider putting spells and combat arts in the way they intend for them to be, instead of changing them down the line and dissapointing a bunch of people?  Sounds like common sense to me...   To be honest, i was surprised the first time i used it and seen that i didnt get the "too close" message.  
klepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 01:36 AM   #14
Fennir

Loremaster

klepp wrote:

but having a minimum range?  cmon now...

Have you ever looked at the spell on live?    It says "Minimum Range: 5m"You never thought it was odd when they patched in a minimum range but it still worked after a mob ran to you?  cmon now...
Old 02-03-2006, 01:41 AM   #15
Blackin_DeMast

Fennir wrote:

klepp wrote:

but having a minimum range?  cmon now...

Have you ever looked at the spell on live?    It says "Minimum Range: 5m"You never thought it was odd when they patched in a minimum range but it still worked after a mob ran to you?  cmon now...

Nope.  Never noticed that.  Was too busy soloing blue ^^^ using Trap and stream.  :smileytongue:
Old 02-03-2006, 01:43 AM   #16
Vimy

Loremaster

Meh.   Guess I was expecting it... but it was just so much fun!

I am Scissors, Paper is fine, Nerf rock
Vimy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 02:17 AM   #17
Al

Stream was overpowered anyways, you shouldnt be able to continue ranging something that is 1 foot in front of you while being hit and not being interrupted, not to mention the previous no power requirements it had. Assassins get apply poison which we cant use at all solo, now you got one too.
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 02:21 AM   #18
Hyyd

sorry i haven't read the patch notes been cleaning up my pc, what exactly have done with imbued rings?the effect on 2 str ring are stacking?
Hyyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 02:21 AM   #19
Noir_4

Loremaster

i've never had a problem with SoA and hate gain. i don't even use SoA in group until a mob's health is in the red. dps classes must learn how to manage aggro, and if you have a skill that generates a lot of aggro, you've got to wisely choose when to use it.
Old 02-03-2006, 02:24 AM   #20
Blackin_DeMast

Alza wrote:
Stream was overpowered anyways, you shouldnt be able to continue ranging something that is 1 foot in front of you while being hit and not being interrupted, not to mention the previous no power requirements it had. Assassins get apply poison which we cant use at all solo, now you got one too.

Go troll on the Brawler boards plzzzzzz.:smileymad:
Old 02-03-2006, 02:32 AM   #21
Hyyd

nevermind that question just read the notes, definatly [expletive haxx0red by Raijinn]ty is some ways
Hyyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 02:39 AM   #22
Blackin_DeMast

Yeah.  I usually keep an imbued str ring on me and use it for the buff then switch back to my regular ring for the stat bonus.  What's the point of even having imbued rings?  Might as well just add a +STR stat to them.
Old 02-03-2006, 03:08 AM   #23
Cael

General

Fennir, I could have sworn mine said a mazimum of 40m, not a min of 5m
Cael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 03:13 AM   #24
Fennir

Loremaster

It has had both ranges on the skill for a few updates now.  Up until now, it only applied when you first attacked with it
Old 02-03-2006, 06:22 AM   #25
Beldin_

Loremaster

Totally nerfed and useless for soloing at the moment  :smileysad: At the moment it still has the 2-3 second delay so if you pull with stream you get maybe one shoot out and thats it ... also the duration is only 30 seconds now ... so its not much more then a spell you can use in groups when no other spell is up :smileysad:
Old 02-03-2006, 07:19 AM   #26
Crychtonn

Loremaster

. . . . . ummmm  ya

The duration has always been 30 seconds . . . .

Crychtonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 07:25 AM   #27
Beldin_

Loremaster

Ups .. really ? Never noticed that then and often had the feeling that fights last longer against some Heroics.. lol
Old 02-03-2006, 03:12 PM   #28
ReynardTheFox

Loremaster

I feel that the changes to SoA are over the top. I agree with a power cost for each arrow, hell even add a signifcant power cost for starting it in the first place but to render it useless as a soloing device is just making the more solo Ranger less enjoyable.What I want to know is where is the compensation for the nerf? When soloing we will be forced to use more melee skills or kite. SOE hate kiters and our melee skills are not enough to pose any sort of threat up close.Just revert SoA to its pre-19 state.With DDO coming out, the new WoW expansion and Vanguard on the horizon, this seems a poor time for SOE to [Removed for Content] off a large chunk of their customer base.
ReynardTheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 06:42 PM   #29
QUACKMASTER

Loremaster

The changes are not that bad, in fact if you take away the power cost (i think it used 1/4 of one bar of power) there really isnt much difference.  So, dont sweat it folks =P
QUACKMASTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 06:55 PM   #30
Cael

General

I didnt really notice any difference. It didnt seem phantasm was landing as often...maybe I was imagining it though.

One thing I did notice though, I used more poison in 4 hours than i used to in 2 days. I had to apply adestes i think 4 times, maybe more, and phantasm....yeah, Im short 2 vials now and down half way on a third. Dont know if you guys noticed...but WOW

And the proc off priz, I didnt think it would phase me that much, but it has a pretty big effect in damage. They wanted to nerf us....well in that way, it worked.

Cael is offline   Reply With Quote