EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > The Tavern > Traveler's Tales
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-11-2004, 05:20 AM   #1
Dregon8

General

The iksar stalked silently through the crowds. He had plenty of time to go to the bazaar and do some minor training on his own before his instructing started. He snuck up on each adventurer he saw, getting as close to them as possible without them noticing. He would go so far as to tap them on the back with his blade if he got close enough, which was far more often then not, and far more often then he used to be able. Even then, the majority of them didn’t even hint at knowing he was there. He looked to the sky as it started fading to scarlet. His class would be starting soon.

He began making his way to the hidden academy in the citadel of Freeport. Most were turned away at the gates; he, however, had memorized the watch rounds and where to find holes in the seemingly impenetrable walls. They had tests often but even getting to the instruction area was a test in and of itself. He wondered, and not for the first time, why he had been chosen to be one of the select few to join this class.

Join really wasn’t the right word. The iksar hadn’t had a choice in the matter. He had been forced into this class. For some unknown reason, he had been pulled from the normal regimen of training with an ambassador of the ratongan race and placed in this “academy” of the art of assassination. He had been told he was Elite. He along with four-hundred and ninety-nine other adventurers were pulled from the throng of refugees to be hand taught by the best Freeport had to offer. Not all of them had intended to be assassins either. In fact some of the best were priests of one form or another. After all, what better guise for an assassin to wear than one trusted to keep others alive.

As he made his way towards the citadel, he noticed a very small, dark female elf huddled in an alley way. Normally he would have thought nothing of it, and forgotten about her not three minutes later, but as he glanced at her, she looked up and something in her eyes stopped him. He couldn’t describe what came over him, but the next thing he knew he was walking straight to the small dark elf. She raised her head at his approach; she looked like nothing more then a street urchin, hair matted to her dirty face, clothes of rags that reeked of manure. Looking deep into his eyes, she seemed to be peering at his inner self. It unnerved him more then he would ever admit. Slowly, he sat down next to the small elf.

"Are you alone out here?" he asked.  Shivering, she stared at him with those big violet eyes, unsure of what to make of the Iksar. Seeing no answer forthcoming he made a quick decision, "Well, come now, you can’t stay here; let me take you to my house." When she made no move to follow him, the iksar attempted to pick her up to see how she would react. When she allowed it, he carried her home. Whether she was comforted by his presence or if he simply warmed her with his bulk he couldn’t tell, but what ever the reason, she stopped shivering. "Now stay here for a while,” he said setting her gently on the pelts that acted as his bed. “I'll be back in an hour or two. Here is something to eat, you look like you could use it," he added tossing her a muffin he had just bought from a vendor. 

What am I doing?  he thought to himself as he walked outside and locked the door behind him. If I'm caught with a dark elf in my house I'll be killed or worse. Not to mention I might be late for my class now… He hurried thru the streets of the city proper at as fast of a pace that he could manage without drawing attention to himself. As he had done many times before, he made it to his class without incident and with plenty of time to spare.

After he finished his training for the day, he rushed back home to find the dark elf looking much better then she had when he left. Apparently she had made herself at home and had taken a bath and changed into one of the padded shirts he wore under his chain mail.

"I'm sorry for causing you trouble, good Iksar. I am Sindienu" She said to him. It was the first time she had spoken to him; her voice was so bright and full of life that it was beautiful. He realized that if she had said something to him when they had first met, he probably would have left her where she was. No one with a voice that beautiful could have been a street urchin for more then a few days. That voice should have belonged to a dark elf noble. This elf might end up being more trouble than she was worth.

"Don’t worry about it," was all he could say, for what did one say to another when accepting thanks. He had never heard thanks offered to anyone, let alone the proper response. "Well, it won’t do to have you wear that around everywhere." Digging around in his pack he pulled out a lady's robe and tossed it to her. She caught it and looked at him. "My name is Tiesor by the way," he answered her unspoken question.

"So why are you helping me, Sir Tiesor?"

“Just Tiesor if you would. I am no one’s Sire.” He said setting down his weapons and other gear. He looked at her “I honestly don’t know, I can’t explain my actions even to myself.” She smiled at his answer. “So what put you on the street?” he questioned. The surprised expression that flashed on her face told him his assumption was correct.

“That’s a long story,” she said after a moment, looking over the robe he had given her. She glanced back up at him. Taking the hint, he turned his back respectively. She took off the padded shirt and donned the robe quickly. “A story I doubt you would care to be involved in.”

“I don’t see how hearing a story could get me involved,” he pressed. If she was being sought by a Noble Tier’dal house her head could put a large amount of money in his pocket.

“Let’s just say that I saw things other dark elves didn’t and they didn’t appreciate my ability to harness the power of the earth.” Ah, she’s a druid, he thought to himself. Taking a seat in a chair from around his table, he tossed her a muffin. She deftly caught it. “Must you toss everything?” she asked him, a little amused. “You didn’t seem to mind getting closer to me the first time we met.”

“My apologies, must be a force of habit from tossing other trainees their equipment. So what was it you saw that the others didn’t?”

She tensed up a little at the question. “I can’t say that I trust you enough to share that with you.”

He put his hand in front of him, palm extended down, an iksar sign meaning he meant no offense. “Fair enough,” he said.

“You won’t have to worry about me much longer. I’ll leave later during the night.” He stared at her, someone is after her, he concluded. But whether it would be worth his effort to bring her back to them was still up for debate.

“As much as I should, I really can’t agree to that. You obviously have nowhere to go, and the streets are no place for one of your age and beauty, so why not stay here for a while?”

She looked at him, more then a bit confused. “Why should an Iksar protect an outcast dark elf?” she questioned, looking at him warily.

He shrugged, “Why indeed.” She relaxed more then a little at his answer. For some reason that was the best way he could have answered her question.

“You still want to know what I saw that the others didn’t?” He nodded. “I saw the evil that they were doing, both to themselves and to others. Everything they do is an affront to all I know to be right and true.” Tiesor’s eyes widened in complete surprise, to hear such words spoken from a dark elf was near to blasphemous. The barbarians the iksar shared the Scale Yard with spoke such words often. But a Dark Elf? He just couldn’t comprehend it. Upon seeing his astonishment, she added, “As I said before, I’ll be leaving later tonight.”

What exactly did she mean by “the evil they were doing”? What evil? After recovering from the shock, he asked “Why?”

She gave him an intense look. Does he feel the same way I do? she thought to herself. It was true she felt safe when he was around but that didn’t mean he saw her as anything except a profit. Still, what could he gain by keeping her in his house? “Have you ever killed a humanoid before?” she asked him bluntly, desperately wanting to know the answer. He smirked as if the answer to that question should be rather obvious. “Right,” she said. “That was a silly question.” She pulled her knees up to her chest and shuddered, maybe he was just in it for the profit.

“You ask that question as if you wish that I hadn’t.” Tiesor noted.

She hugged her knees closer. “It’s just so wrong,” she said in a rather meek voice.

“How is killing others wrong?” he wondered aloud.

She jerked her head up, astonished. “How is it wrong? HOW IS IT WRONG? Don’t you feel even the slightest bit of anything when their lives slip away from them? Sadness maybe, or regret, guilt, anything?”

He thought about that question seriously. What did he feel? After a moment, “I feel elation,” the iksar decided aloud.

“Elation,” she spat, truly disgusted. So, he is a normal iksar after all… I had hoped he’d been… been what? she wondered. Been like me?

“Aye, elation. Elation that it was their life ended and not my own. Elation that I am able to see another day, elation that my existence can continue on as more then a passing memory.” He lowered his head and let out a long heart felt sigh. “I suppose I should welcome death.” Tiesor looked around the room. He scoffed, “And I call this an existence. Living in this hell hole, forced into submission by beings I have no respect for. This is no way to live,” he said to himself putting his head in his hands. The iksar didn’t know why he had said the things he said. His words could easily be considered treasonous if they had been overheard by the wrong ears. He heard a small sniff making him look up to see tears welling in the dark elf’s eyes. “I’m sorry if what I said upset you…” he began.

She shook her head and interrupted, “It’s not that. I just never thought that I’d meet someone who saw the truth as I did.” A wide smile spread across her lips though she was still crying.

Tiesor looked around nervously, “Please keep it down, crying is not a noise that is normally heard in the Scale Yard, unless its crying from physical pain.”

She smiled and wiped the tears from her eyes. “I’m sorry,” she said thru a laugh.

“Right, well, I have to get to sleep. Have a class in the morning.”

“Oh, okay. What kind of class, if you don’t mind me asking?” She said, getting off of his bed.

“By all means, use the bed. I’m quite comfortable sleeping on the floor,” he said, finding a bare spot on the floor and lying down. "I'm an assassin by trade. Or I soon will be." He felt more then saw her glaring at him. "Look, it’s my way of life, and its something I'm good at. Whether or not you agree with it doesn’t make much difference to me." With that, he closed his eyes and went to sleep.

She watched him, a few minutes later the slow rhythmic sounds of a sleeping iksar could be heard. She couldn’t decide if this iksar was someone she could trust or not. At times she felt truly safe with him but the next instant he would shatter that feeling completely. It would be better for him not to be involved she thought. With the kind of silence that could only come with years of practice or magical aid she slipped out the window and was gone. When he woke up the next morning and noticed her gone, he cursed to himself. He would have to look for her after his classes were over. After all, the penalty for missing a class was death.

Tiesor arrived at his class just as it started. The unfortunate student behind the iksar was late and as such was given a lashing, fifty of them to be exact, from a particularly wicked whip. The student took the punishment without a sound, for to scream was to show weakness and that was not tolerated as an assassin. As soon as the punishment was done, the students lined up.

“Now then assassins, today is your last day,” came the Instructor’s voice. The Instructor was a dark elf. She was tall for her race, standing at closer to six feet then to five. The customary red eyes and white hair that normally came with her heritage marked her features. She was not pretty by any standards, except by trolls of course… A large scar ran the left side of her face from chin to eye; she claimed she received it while killing a paladin of some renown. “Your final test will be no different then your others. You will fight one of your classmates to the death.” Tiesor lowered his head and sighed as others of his class chuckled and laughed. “Now come forward and choose your lots.” Out of the starting class of approximately five-hundred, only twenty students were left. They had had quite a few “tests” along the way.

One more opponent then I’m done” the resigned iksar thought. Tiesor stepped up to the platform first and picked. He opened the lot, “I’m number nineteen am I?” The other would-be assassins followed one after the other. When they were done they went back to their places.

“Now look at your numbers,” the Instructor directed. “Numbers one and twenty raise your hands.” A kerra and a ratonga raised their hands. “Please step forward, you will be the first combatants.” They did as they were told and stood “at the ready”. Tiesor knew these two fairly well and therefore knew the kerra didn’t stand a chance. “Begin,” came the command. The kerra pounced but the ratonga was no longer there. Suddenly the Kerra grunted and fell to the ground, a dagger imbedded between its shoulder blades. The ratonga seemed to appear from nowhere and grinned. “Congratulations, retrieve your belongings, and proceed out the doors to receive your first mission as a full assassin.” The ratonga picked up his dagger and began to rummage thru the kerra’s belongings, after all, whatever he found of value rightfully belonged to him. After taking anything he thought might fetch a price he did as he was told and left the room.

“Numbers two and nineteen, come forward.” Tiesor stepped forward looking for his opponent. It was a barbarian, a skilled barbarian. This would not be an easy fight. Tiesor took his stance, wielding his hand axe and short sword. He was confident he could win, but not without injury.  

“Begin,” and the fight was on. The barbarian rushed in brandishing his long sword and dirk, going for a quick kill. It was common knowledge that Tiesor was not one to be trifled with. As far as many could tell the only weakness he had was his habit of only making half hearted attempts at attacks at the beginning of a fight just to judge his opponents reactions. Once he truly got going, he very rarely lost, or so was said. The barbarian came in thrusting with his longer weapon. Tiesor deflected it aside with his axe and countered with a jab of his sword. The barbarian jumped out of danger’s way and sliced across with his own sword. A quick flick of Tiesor’s wrist put his axe in line to parry, easily defeating the attack while he simultaneously countered with a sword cut of his own. The barbarian’s dirk was there in an instant. With both their weapons locked together, the two combatants eyed each other menacingly. Tired of the stalemate, the barbarian shoved back with his considerable might. Glad for the reprieve, the iksar went with the motion, stepping back. Without giving the iksar a chance to catch his breath, the barbarian rushed back in and resumed his attack. The barbarian lunged forward, both weapons leading. Surprised by the sudden and foolish move, Tiesor was unable to block it completely and received a deep gash on the side of his ribs. He grimaced and jumped out of range.

“Ha, so the end is near, Scaly One,” the barbarian boasted.  Thinking he had figured out the lizard’s weakness, the barbarian lunged again. This time, Tiesor easily side stepped the charging barbarian and placed a tail in the barbarian’s path. The would-be assassin flew to the ground.

Stepping up to the grounded student, Tiesor retorted “You were right about the end being near, though it was your end you saw, not mine.” He pulled back his axe in order to finish the fight but something stopped him. At that moment all he could think of was the dark elf named Sindienu, and the words she had said. “Killing is wrong,” he repeated to himself in his head, “killing is wrong.”  The other students watched in astonishment, Tiesor was hesitating before a kill.

The Instructor looked at him and said, “Kill him.” The iksar looked from her to the barbarian at his feet and took a step back. Not waiting to be asked, the barbarian jumped back up and charged again. Tiesor deflected the attack and purely out of habit put his sword inline with the foe. The barbarian, being unable to stop, impaled himself thru the heart. “Good, now, retrieve your belongings, and exit out the doors.” Even though this wasn’t his first kill, it affected him more then any of his others ever had. He pulled his sword out of the still standing barbarian, who promptly fell to the ground, quite dead. Tiesor stared ahead, seemingly at nothing, the dark elf’s words running thru his head, and then slowly walked out the doors. He was stopped immediately and told to choose his task. Not feeling at all like himself, he grabbed one of the notes which had all the details of his next assignment on them, from who to kill to when and how.

He had walked for a few blocks before he finally looked at his orders. He was assigned to kill a dark elf renegade named Sindienu.  He was unsure of what to do. He had to do his job if he intended to stay in Freeport. He had to, it really wasn’t up for debate whether or not he could. He let out a resigned sigh. Fate, it seemed, was a cruel mistress.
He wandered back to his house in a trance. Why did this job bother him, and why had he hesitated to kill the barbarian? After all, it’s not like he had a bond with either of his victims. He lay down on his bed for a while in order for his mind to work itself out. Eventually he came to the conclusion that nothing was different and he was just excited about becoming an assassin. He stood up and set about his mission. Luckily he had met his quarry the day before and so knew what she looked like and had a way to find her. He stepped out of his house and went around it to have a look at the ground under the window. As he thought, dark elf sized foot prints presented themselves. He followed them. Though many tracks marred the set he was following, he didn’t have much trouble following them. She apparently had no reason to believe she would be followed, or was just too naive to realize that her passing left a trail.

He eventually came to an old, abandoned tavern. He followed the tracks inside. “What do you want?” said a cold, familiar voice from one of the dark corners. Not answering, he took slow measured steps towards the corner, slowly unsheathing his sword. “So that’s why you’ve come. I knew they would send someone to look for me, isn’t it strange that it would be you?” she said to him, a slight tinge of fear was evident in her voice. He stopped his advance. “Well come on then, get it over with,” she said louder, trying to sound more brave than she felt.   Still, he didn’t move. “DON’T TOY WITH ME!!!” she screamed, and then she started to sob.

“I just wanted you to know, if I had any chance of living by not killing you I…” several approaching voices and footsteps interrupted him. He glanced over his shoulder to better hear their approach. From the sound of it, there were three of them, humans most likely judging from their voices and clumsy footfalls. They came thru the door Tiesor had just entered.

“Greetings iksar,” said the first to enter “What ye be doin here?” The three humans were no more then normal ruffians. One had a scar across his face which had removed one of his eyes. The other two had tattoos that mimicked the first’s scar. Apparently the scarred one was the leader. They were all of medium build and appeared to be normal humans, dumb and clumsy. Tiesor positioned himself between the ruffians and the dark elf. The corner she was in was dark so it made it difficult to see her, but she was still visible. The iksar looked the leader in the eye. “My business is my own,” he replied.

“Fair enough, but we’ll be needin that girly behind ye.”

Tiesor took a couple of steps backwards, getting into a better position to protect her. “And might I ask what you need her for?”

The thugs grinned, “Well, a bit o’pleasure first, then a bit o’money.”

“Explain how you intend on getting money with her.”

“Her head be worth a pretty copper to some dark elves.”

So they put a bounty on her head as well as recruiting the assassin guild, they must really want her dead,”  the iksar thought to himself.

While the humans and the iksar conversed over her fate, Sindienu looked for an escape route. She quickly came to the conclusion that she was trapped. The humans guarded the only exit on this floor and to get to the stairs she would have to pass very close to the iksar. She could attack him, she noted as he put his back to her and stepped closer. “With what?” she thought, “I have no weapon to speak of. Then again, why would he put his back to an intended victim, surely he doesn't trust me not to try something, after all he is here to kill me.” It almost looked as if he was protecting her.

“I’m sorry, I cannot allow that,” she heard the iksar say. A glimmer of hope returned to her eyes. He took a balanced stance and prepared for combat. He was protecting her.

“I thought this job was startin to look too easy,” the leader growled as he pulled out his sword, his two thugs followed suit. The leader nodded to the lackey on his right and the ruffian started to charge but immediately fell to the ground, choking on his own blood, a dagger buried deep in his throat. The scarred one growled again and charged with his partner close on his heels. Tiesor pulled out his weapons and stood his ground, if they got past him they would kill Sindienu and that he would not allow. The iksar caught the leader’s blade between his weapons and easily disarmed the thug. A quick kick to the gut sent the leader to the ground. Tiesor flipped the blade around with his weapons and tossed it at the remaining tattooed one, breaking his charge and forcing him to deflect the projectile. The thug was so busy blocking the airborne blade he didn’t notice the one aimed straight for his heart. The leader stood up as his last partner fell to the ground, quite dead. Without the strength of numbers, the leader was much less confident. However, the iksar seemed to have forgotten all about him, for he turned around to face the dark elf. Seeing his chance, the leader took one of the discarded swords and snuck up behind Tiesor. It came as quite a shock to Tiesor when a sword burst from his stomach. Much too late he remembered he had a remaining opponent. The iksar spun around, swinging his arm around first, knocking the human back a couple of steps. Unfortunately for the human, the couple of steps put him in line with the iksar’s axe. Though losing energy quickly, Tiesor had put enough force in the blow to nearly decapitate the thug.

With what he thought to be the last act of his life he had saved the dark elf for the moment. He fell to his knees then fell to his stomach, the point of the sword met the ground and was forced out of the hole it had created. The iksar managed a smile. Why her life meant so much to him, he did not know, but he was happy with his end.

She couldn’t decide if this was a good turn of events or not. After all the assassin and the ruffians had killed each other so she had her chance to escape, but the iksar paid with his life to protect her. She started for the door, ready to make her run for freedom but then something stopped her. She turned and looked at the creature who had given his life saving hers. She couldn’t just leave him like that. Sindienu went to the iksar’s side and examined the wound. Luckily it had missed his spine, but it had pierced a kidney. He would soon bleed to death if nothing was done quickly. With her limited knowledge of healing spells she wasn’t sure if she could mend such a severe wound, but she would have to try. She put her hands directly on the wound and focused. She chanted the runes to the most powerful healing spell she knew, over and over, she chanted. She felt her strength slowly diminishing as she chanted, the spell slowly taking it’s toll on her. She wasn’t sure if her chanting was doing anything to help the reptile but she prayed that it was. She prayed with all her might to any god that might be listening. She fell over him, completely exhausted. She cursed herself for being so weak. If only she were stronger she might have been able to save him. The last thing she heard before she passed out was the easy breathing of a sleeping iksar.

She woke up with a start. She tried to get her bearing but failed miserably. Someone had taken her to an unknown grove of trees. There was a low burning campfire set up not too far away that was fending off the chill of the night air. She looked about, frantically searching for the iksar.

“So, you’re up I see,” said a familiar and welcome voice. It came from a tree branch directly above her.

“You’re alive!!” she exclaimed, jumping to her feet.

“Yes, it would appear so. Though you should hardly be happy about it, after all I was sent to kill you,” he replied.

She gave him an annoyed glare, “You and I both know that if you wanted to kill me you would have done so already.”

He gave a resigned sigh. Try as he might, he couldn’t disagree with her. He had been willing to kill her a few hours ago but after what she had done for him, killing her was no longer an option. An assassin he was, but he was not without honor. “So it seems,” he replied. “Well I suggest you get your sleep tonight, you have a long journey ahead of you if you wish to outrun the assassins after you.”

She nodded, knowing as much. It was no longer safe for her to stay in Freeport, all she could do now was run. “And what of you?” she asked.

He jumped down from his perch and walked over to the fire. “What of me?”

“Well, what will you do? Surely you can’t stay in Freeport and expect to live after letting your mark escape.”

“I’ll make up some believable story that utterly destroys you. No one will question me when they can find no remains or traces of you.”

“Like what?”

He smirked. “Oh, I’ll think of something. We iksar have very imaginative minds when it comes to killing.”

She shuddered. “I see,” was all she replied. He chuckled despite himself.

It was a very strange to hear an iksar laugh, it sounded more like coughing then anything else. She rushed to his side. “Are you alright?” she asked, afraid the wound wasn’t completely healed.

He continued laughing, patting the air to reassure her. “I’m fine,” he managed. “You are very naïve for a dark elf.”

“Well, I’ll take that as a compliment I suppose,” she muttered. She stomped over to the bedroll the iksar had made for her and sat down.

“I must thank you for saving my life,” he said solemnly, staring into the fire. Turning around to face her, he said “I would have joined my ancestors had you not healed me.”
She smiled and blushed as she looked down. “I was just trying to return the favor,” she managed.

“Still, I thank you. Now get some sleep, as I said, you’ll need it. I’ll keep the watch for you,” he said, walking back over to the tree. He grabbed a branch and flung himself back into his perch. She watched him for a couple of moments. She had met iksar before but none of them were either nice or as loyal as he seemed to be.

“What of the ruffians? Did they all die?”

“I would hope so. If those wounds I inflicted didn’t kill them,  I would have to wonder if they were even alive to begin with.”

“I see,” she replied quietly. “I mourn their loss.”

“Mourn their loss?” he repeated incredulously. “They were going to [Removed for Content] and kill you, why should you be sad for their passing?”

“Aye, they were, but then again you were also sent to kill me. Who’s to say they weren’t the same as you?” Without waiting for a response, she laid down and quickly fell to sleep. Apparently she was still drained. Elves didn’t normally sleep at all; they normally went into a meditative state known as reverie. The only time they ever slept was when they were completely exhausted.

He watched her for a moment. “What did she mean by the same as me?” he wondered. “How am I any different then any of the other assassins?”  “You should have let me die,” he muttered to the sleeping dark elf. “Your life is far more important to this world then

mine ever will be. Such a caring soul as yours has to be worth something. And mine is still as worthless as ever.”

True to his word, he watched over her throughout the night.  She awoke as the sun began its’ ascent into the Norathian sky. She languidly stretched her arms over her head and yawned as she sat up. For some reason sleeping in the wilderness had been more peaceful and comfortable then reverie ever had been in a bed. She recognized the pleasing smell of cooking meat before she actually opened her eyes. “Smells good,” she managed to say through a yawn.                                                            

Tiesor looked over his shoulder to see the dark elf stand and slowly make her way toward him.  Apparently she was not a morning person. “Thought you might be hungry,” he said offering her a dish.

“Yes, please. Just don’t toss it to me,” she said chidingly. She took the offered plate and sat down next to him.

He watched her for a few moments then said, “I suppose this is where we go our separate ways.”

She nearly choked on her breakfast at the comment. “Right now?” she didn’t sound too pleased.

“Yes. The guild masters will be wanting a report from me soon so I figured this would be as good a time as any.” She suddenly was no longer hungry. She poked at her plate a couple of times with a fork.   He stood and went about gathering his items, leaving most of the camp equipment. “You should be able to survive out here, there really isn’t anything too dangerous to worry about. You’ll be fine.” He turned around and started to walk away.

“Please don’t leave me,” she called after him. He faced her and saw tears streaking down her cheeks. “I don’t want to be alone anymore.”

In the face of her sadness and loneliness, he found he had no power to say no. “What would you have me do? Leave my life behind, all I’ve ever known, just throw it to the wind?”

“You’re not proud of your life there. You said so yourself. You have nothing to lose,” she argued.

“Where would we go?”

“I’ve heard talk about a town far to the west. We could head there.”

“What, Qeynos? That place is far more evil then Freeport.”

“If that’s so then we could do what you offered to me, just live in the wilderness.”

“But… you’ve…I…BAH!!” he said throwing his hands in the air in defeat. There was a reason he allowed her to win the argument so easily. He had been searching for a good reason to leave Freeport for years. It appeared that he had finally found one. What better reason then to protect someone that was actually worth protecting. “Well, if, and I stress the if, I do decide to come with you I’ll need to head back into Freeport for a day or so, so I can tell the masters some story as to why I’ll be gone for a while. If we both just disappeared it wouldn’t take long for a ‘search party’ to be put on our trail. The assassin guild would not so easily let a target or one of its’ own escape.” By the time he finished speaking it seemed to Sindienu that he was talking more to himself then to her.

Not much later, he left her in the copse of trees and headed for Freeport. He quickly made his way to his house. “Am I really going to do this?” he asked himself. “I mean, she doesn’t look like one that would survive long in the wild by herself but why should that make a difference to me. She has nothing I need; in fact I have more to lose by her living then by her dieing. It would be so easy to finish his job.”   It was easy for him to kill. It seemed to be in his nature. He was good at it. But for some reason this dark elf stumped him. He knew he could never nor would ever hurt her. He stopped packing a moment at that realization... “I know I could never nor would ever hurt her?  Why? What was so special about her?”   He shook his head, clearing his thoughts. It didn’t matter much anymore anyway. The iksar had given her his word that he would travel with her and he intended to keep it. He finished packing the provisions they would need for the journey and walked to the door. He took one last look around the hut, knowing he would never see it again. He opened the door and made a straight shot for the guild not bothering to look back.

“Ah, Tiesor, good to see you return,” the instructor said at his approach. “Going somewhere?” she asked suspiciously, noting the pack on his back.

“My prey has fled the city, I request permission to go after her, Instructor.”

“Has she now?” She said with a tone that suggested she knew more then he wanted her to. She stared at him hard. He could feel his body temperature rise and his palms start sweating. “Three humans were found dead in an abandoned pub, nearby. You wouldn’t happen to know anything about that, would you Tiesor?” There was no denying that he had a part in their deaths. The wounds inflicted would obviously point to someone with skill who used a blade of some kind and an axe. He was the only one he knew of that fit that description. He was about to respond verbally then decided against it and simply smiled. “Perhaps I should hand this job over to another more qualified assassin. I don’t believe you are ready to handle the wilds by yourself.” As she spoke, her eyes never lost contact with his.

She’s searching for a reaction from me,” he thought. “Don’t give her one.” “I am the best qualified to finish this task, Instructor. Besides, I do so love a good hunt,” he said with a tone so cold that even the Instructor had a chill run down her spine.

“Very well,” she said after a moment’s pause. “How long do you estimate this job to take you?”

Tiesor thought for a moment. He didn’t want to give an estimate that was too long, that would arouse suspicion. But too little would mean they would have pursuers after them

quickly when he didn’t return at his promised time. “One month should suffice,” he said aloud. “The dark elf has proven to be resourceful and will not be easy to catch but I am confident I can take care of her and return in that time.”                                                   

“One month it is then. Do not fail in this, disappoint me and I promise pain enough to last you to the end of eternity.” Tiesor bowed low and took his leave.

When he arrived back at the copse he found Sindienu to be no where in sight. “Now where did she go off to?” he wondered aloud.

“Oh, you’re back!” came a voice directly above him. He looked in her direction just in time to see a flying dark elf coming his way. Instinctively he put his arms out and caught her. After registering what had happened he dropped his arms and let her continue her descent to the floor. She landed none too gracefully on the ground.

“Ow, why did you do that?” she asked, rubbing her injured posterior.

“Are we leaving or not?” he asked over his shoulder as he walked off. “I don’t want to be too near to Freeport when dusk comes.”

“Fine, but you didn’t have to drop me,” she pouted.

To be Continued...

Message Edited by Dregon828 on 11-21-200507:28 PM

Message Edited by Dregon828 on 11-21-2005 07:28 PM

Old 12-08-2004, 05:59 AM   #2
macdadd

okay ive been waiting for weeks but i just want to know is that it? great story so far and i remember it from the first boards but comeon give me the juicy details i wanna see how he becomes considered the forest dragon
macdadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 03:40 AM   #3
Dregon8

General

Bah, sorry guys, I've been busy with RL stuff, havent had much time to write. You know between work, Halo 2, EQ2, KOTOR2, doesnt leave much spare time for things. After Christmas things should lighten up a bit so I'll be posting more often. To keep you kinda satisfied until then I'll post the next page, its not much but its all ive done since the last post.

Their next few days together were very uneventful. Tiesor equated her company to the company of that of a child. Asking questions about everything they saw, never stopping to breath, running all over the place and generally being quite annoying.

“Aren’t you ever quiet,” he asked her one day when he got particularly aggravated.

She turned to him and smiled, “Not when I have some one to talk to.” Tiesor grumbled something she couldn’t quite make out. The only words she caught were “**mods 4 teh win!!1!**, annoying”. Despite his demeanor, he found he truly enjoyed her company. Her bouncing all over the forest with so much happiness and vigor made it very difficult for him to focus on how miserable he was living in the wilderness. Despite great effort he smirked at the thought.

The dark elf stopped her running about and stared at him. “Is that a smile I see?” she asked incredulously, taking several steps in his direction to get a better look.

He quickly looked down to his feet so he could regain his menacing visage, “No, its not,” he replied with a threatening, monotone voice looking back up at her.

“I think it was,” she said rushing forward the last couple of steps to poke him in the cheek.

His scowl did not relent, “Poke me again and you’ll lose that finger.” Much to his surprise she did just that. He blinked a few times, in a bit of shock. She always backed down when he threatened her. But here she was, continuing her poking. She hadn’t just poked him once; in fact she still had not stopped poking him. His eyes grew wide with false anger. He deftly dodged her latest attempt at a poke, bent as low as he could at his waist and threw his shoulder into her stomach, doubling her over him. He stood back up with her still over his shoulder, one arm securing her position. He began walking as if nothing was amiss.

As soon as she got over her disorientation she started struggling to release herself from his grasp. To no avail. As she came to realize that struggling would do no good against the strength of the seasoned fighter, a new plan formed in her head. Gently, her hands started searching his body.

What in the nine hell is she doing? He thought to himself as an involuntary shudder coursed down his spine. He assumed she was searching for something but what could she reach that would help her free herself? His axe was in easy reach, obviously, strapped to his back as it was, but he knew she wouldn’t use it. Her hands crept lower and lower, apparently making their way toward the base of his tail. Without warning, he shifted his grip on her and tossed her away. She nimbly landed on her feet with a smile of success splayed across her face. “Ah, the cold assassin reveals a weakness,” she said slyly.

He calmly strode toward her, tail flicking back and forth. Sindienu giggled in spite of herself, the flicking tail reminded her of a cat that was perturbed. “Do not try to touch my tail ever again,” he said in a tone that left little question in her mind as to what would happen if she did. Her smile vanished.

After a moments pause, she “hmph,”ed to a sitting position on the ground. “Well, you sure know how to destroy my good moods,” she said with a huff.

He gained his composure and calm quickly. She had meant no insult by what she had done, she didn’t know the iksar customs, he reminded himself. He decided to try and cheer her up. “If only it were that simple,” he responded with a smirk. She gaped at him. “What?” he wondered.

“That was the first joke I’ve ever heard you say. You’re not getting comfortable around me, are you? Cause we can’t stand for that,” sarcasm thick in her voice. A slight smirk and a shake of the head was the only answer he gave.

“Come, we must keep on our way.”

She gave a heavy sigh, “Can’t we just rest for one day. I’m tired of traveling. It’s all we’ve done for the past five days. We are deep in the NektulosForest, no one will find us if we take a break.”

“We are still much too close to Freeport to consider our selves safe from discovery. Once they find out about my desertion and your survival we will have many assassins and militia on our trail. Rest, unfortunately, is not a luxury that we can afford at the moment,” he replied to her, offering her a hand to help her to her feet. The offered hand meant more to her at that moment then anything he had done for her yet. She was beginning to think that he thought her a nuisance more then anything else, that maybe the only reason he stayed by her was the debt he felt he owed her for saving his life. But to her, the hand said something very different. He actually wanted to help her. After a moment of staring at his hand she smiled and took it gratefully.

To be continued...

(Soon I sware) :smileyhappy:

Message Edited by Dregon828 on 04-15-2005 11:01 AM

Old 12-11-2004, 06:47 AM   #4
macdadd

kool was she trying to tickle him or was she just trying to get a little action heh
Old 12-11-2004, 07:20 AM   #5
Dregon8

General

*Shrug* I don't think even she knew.
Old 12-12-2004, 12:03 AM   #6
macdadd

heh **mods 4 teh win!!1!** horny dark elves well lookin forward to rest of story after christmas
Old 12-15-2004, 01:56 PM   #7
revj

Great story. Makes time go  much faster at work, lol. us one question what does that litle mods for the win mean?
revj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 10:19 PM   #8
Dregon8

General

Removed all traces of mah ignorance. BWAHAHA!!!

Message Edited by Dregon828 on 01-11-2005 02:48 PM

Old 12-16-2004, 09:11 AM   #9
macdadd

no not really i put in a curse and thats how they bleeped it lol
Old 12-23-2004, 08:29 AM   #10
Ddred

Well, I find this to be one of the more interesting stories on the forum.  When will you be writing the next chapter?
Old 12-29-2004, 02:06 AM   #11
Dregon8

General

The ratonga's ears perked up. Voices were not uncommon in Nektulos, but this deep in it was a very rare occurrence. One of the voices he knew all to well. He approached the voices warily. If he could catch the one he knew off-guard he would indeed know who was the better assassin between them. The ratonga had always despised the iksar called Tiesor. The instructor, as well as the other students, considered the lizard the top of their class. But the ratonga knew the truth, if no one else did. If he tried, the rat could kill the iksar. As quietly as he could, he stalked thru the brush. He discovered the iksar he knew, as well as a dark elf that he had never seen before, in a forest clearing not far from where he had first heard them. The ratonga smiled, the iksar’s back facing him. The ratonga snuck closer, not bothered by the fact that the dark elf was facing his direction. She could look straight at him and not even notice he was there.

He snuck as quickly as he could without making noise, determined to find his dagger a new home. Barely a meter from his intended mark, a large leathery tail swung thru the air, barely missing the ratonga’s head. The iksar spun around, weapons seemingly appearing in his hands. The Dark elf let out a startled cry as the ratonga suddenly became visible to her. Tiesor positioned himself between the ratonga and Sindienu.

“Is there something I can help you with Itzal?” Tiesor said coldly.

“The scaled one thinks highly of himselfs, he does. Perhaps he will learn differentlys someday,” the ratonga, Itzal, replied in his sniffling, rasping voice.

“What are you doing here?” The iksar asked again. He began to worry that the ratonga was the first of what was going to be a long line of pursuers.

“Tiesor seems worried, he does. Worried that Itzal is better then he, I’s thinks.” The ratonga was apparently very good at reading emotions, even on iksar. “But why should iksar be worried? He’s nothing to fear from little Itzals. Itzals would never hurts Tiesor.”

"Unless your dagger could find my back,” the iksar retorted. Tiesor would never admit it but this one had gotten closer then any others ever had in putting a dagger in his back. Had the ratonga not been slightly downwind, Tiesor might have been lying on the floor with a new dagger sized hole thru him. The ratonga merely shrugged, not denying the statement.

“Yous seem very eagers to protect the one behind yous. Why is thats, I’s wonder.”

“You still haven’t answered my question.” Tiesor was on high guard. After watching Itzal kill the kerra as quickly as he did in the final assassin test, he wasn’t sure he could win a straight fight with the rat.

Itzal smirked. “Well, I’ll just say there’s a few less qeynosians in this world. And yous? Whats you doing out heres?”

“Our business is our own,” the lizard responded.

“Come now, I’s share with yous, now yous share with Itzal.” Tiesor didn’t respond. Itzal eyed him warily. “Methinks yous out here not on orders. Methinks yous doing something yous shouldn’t with dark one. Methinks I’s should go tell instructor I’s found you with dark one and see whats she wants me to do. I’s should.” A wide, malicious smile formed on the rats face.

Tiesor, careful to keep his emotions from his face, thought over their options. He came to the conclusion that he had two options, he could attack the ratonga and hope that he proved the better or he could let the ratonga go and hope they could keep ahead of their pursuers. Either way their chances were not looking up.

Tiesor decided on the option that gave immediate results. He gave a self depreciating chuckle, he never had been a patient one. The rat cocked its head to one side, interested in what the lizard had found amusing. “Tell her what you wish. You will only be informing her of the progress I’ve made in my assignment.” Itzal looked very unconvinced but nodded anyway. Without turning his back to the rat, Tiesor looked over to Sindienu and said “Come, we must be on our way.” The dark elf nodded and started walking away.

Tiesor still held both his weapons in his hands, he slowly backed away from the rat. Itzal offered one last word of wisdom before letting Tiesor leave the clearing. “Yous are wise to back away. But lets me warns you, if yous are indeed doings something yous shouldn’t, watch your back, don’t simply hide it from view because it will be found. And I will take greats pleasure in giving my dagger a new home, I’s would.” Tiesor nodded and quickly left the clearing.

Sindienu was waiting for him in the shadows of a great tree. “Friend of yours?” she asked.

Tiesor merely glanced at her and continued on. “Pursuit will be following much quicker then I had hoped,” he answered. “That one would never want to heighten me in the eyes of the Instructor but he listens to his instincts more then his head and he knows I wasn’t doing what I should have been. Our days of meandering have come to an end I fear.”

Heading in the opposite direction, moving away from the clearing and towards Freeport the ratonga was giddy with excitement. He could not wait to inform the Instructor of what he had seen. That and he knew what her instructions would be. He had waited a long time to kill the lizard legally.

To be continued...

Old 01-05-2005, 04:42 AM   #12
Dregon8

General

He went as fast as he dared to push her. She was not used to running for as long as they had to now, and it would not do to have her pass-out from exhaustion and force him to have to carry her. Normally if he was being pursued he would have made it difficult to track him by jumping into the trees, doubling back often and using the river where possible, but trying to trick a ratonga as skilled as Itzal was laughable. He decided speed was of the essence.

Sindienu was having thoughts of another kind as they ran along. As hard pressed as she was to keep up with him, she couldn’t help but notice the gracefulness of his steps. His rugged and harsh appearance belied his true grace and agility. Even with roots and other obstacles strewn about the floor of the forest, not once did he misstep. He stayed in complete balance. She reasoned it came with his line of work. After all, to stumble as an assassin, was to die.

Sindienu thought long and hard over the encounter with the ratonga. Apparently he was not someone to be trifle with. She could never imagine Tiesor backing down from a threat but he had obviously done so with the rat. He was one to fear. She couldn’t really blame Tiesor either. She had been staring straight at Tiesor so she should have seen the rat coming. The first time she actually saw the ratonga was when Itzal was forced to stop his advance in order to dodge the swinging tail. This thought brought on another of a semi-related subject.

As they stopped for her to catch her breath she asked him, “Why did you get so mad at me when a tried to touch your tail?”

Tiesor sighed; he was hoping he wouldn’t have to explain it to her. He thought about it for a moment, searching for the best way to word it. The answer hit him when he looked at her. “Let me ask you something. What would you do if some tried to touch the point of your ears?”

The answer was simple enough. “Well, I would probably make them… How would you know about that?”

Tiesor smirked but didn’t offer an answer. “It’s the same basic principle, only the iksar’s tail is a bit larger and makes a very effective weapon. So unless an iksar gives you permission to touch its tail or makes you, for that matter, leave it alone. Are you rested enough to continue?” Sindienu nodded. It hadn’t been a long break but it was the most they could afford at the moment.

Much to Sindienu’s surprise and great delight, they reached the shore before the sun had set. The ocean had always been one of the most beautiful things she had seen and at sun set the ocean was at its best. Vibrant strokes of gold and orange lit the sky. Where the clouds intercepted the rays of the sun, brilliant pinks and violets were formed.

They made their way towards the docks and prepared to board the ship that would ferry them to the Thundering Steppes. Tiesor had heard rumors that the city of Qeynos lay in that direction.

The ship set sail shortly after they had bartered passage onto it. Finally, I little time to relax, she thought to herself. After two days of solid running she was drained of almost all her energy. All she wanted to do was lay down and go to sleep. Tiesor had made himself comfortable against the boat railings, tail lolling out between the rails swishing from side to side. She smiled; even though he was relaxing he kept his back to a wall and looked as though he had no intention of going to sleep. Now that she thought about it the only time she had seen him sleep was the first time they had met in Freeport. She decided not to think much of it. Maybe Iksar just didn’t need to sleep very much.

He looked over at her and noticed her staring at him. She quickly looked away out of embarrassment. He began digging into his pack and pulled out a blanket. With a grin on his face, he tossed it to her. She gave an amused laugh while shaking her head. “Get some rest,” he told her. “You could use it.” With that he went back to his silent vigil.

She took a couple of steps forward, bent down and kissed him on his cheek. “Thank you,” she whispered, “for everything.” She sat down right next to him and, using him as a backrest, went to sleep. It was the first time in his life that he truly realized that he cared for someone.

Itzal reached the Western Freeport gates right as the dark elf and iksar were boarding the ship. A guard seeing the rat’s approach shouted “Halt!! Who goes there?” The guard blinked and the ratonga vanished. “Wha?” managed the guard as some unknown pointed thing came rushing out of his chest. The guard fell to the floor, the great darkness consuming his consciousness. The Ratonga pulled the dagger from the dead mans back.

“Now, now, Itzal, you should show a little more restraint.” The scarred dark elf stepped out from an alley. “The guards are allies not prey.” The Instructor walked slowly up to the ratonga, admiring his handy work. “I take it everything went as planned with the Qeynosians?”

“Yes Instructor, though ons the ways back. I’s saw the iksar.”

The Instructor raised her eyebrows in interest. “Did you really? And what was our little Tiesor up to?”

“Hes is protecting a dark elfs from what I’s could tell. She was a pretty ones as far as dark ones goes, though not enough furs on hers face.”

A twinkle of anticipation sparkled in the Instructor’s eyes, “Did you happen to note the color of her eyes?”

“Yes Instructor. Theys were purples.”

“Well, well, seems our Tiesor has gone traitor. See to him for me, would you Itzal?”

The Ratonga’s smile nearly took in his large ears.

To be continued...

Old 01-14-2005, 10:03 PM   #13
Dregon8

General

She awakened several hours later to find the sun beginning its ascent into the sky. She heard a soft growl behind her and soon realized that the iksar was sleeping. She smiled to herself and stood up, trying her hardest not to disturb him. She thought it would be harder with him being wary of beings trying to kill him in his sleep but surprisingly enough he did not stir.

She wrapped the blanket about her shoulders to ward away the chill from the ocean. She wandered about the ship, looking for nothing in particular. She reached the prow of the ship and found, much to her surprise, another dark elf that was sitting, legs crossed and hands on top of his knees, palms up and eyes closed. She quickly started backing away, not wanting to be noticed by this male without Tiesor there.

“There is no reason to be afraid of me,” called the dark elf without opening his eyes. “I will not hurt you.”

Somehow that didn’t make her feel any better. “And why should I take your word for it?” she asked, still backing away.

“I have no reason to hurt you that I am aware of,” he opened one eye, “and I wouldn’t want to hurt my chances of wooing you somewhere down the road.” Her mouth fell open in shock, she wasn’t sure if she should be flattered or offended. He gave a slight chuckle and closed his eye again.

“Who are you?” she asked, a little curious about this odd fellow. “And what are you doing, it doesn’t look like you’re in reverie.”

“You are correct, I’m meditating. And Morc Avgrunnen the Great is my name, a humble monk of Qeynos, Morc suits me just fine, or the Great if you prefer. And you are?”

Somehow, humble was not a word he would use to describe this ‘monk’. But he was from Qeynos! She badly wanted to ask him about it but her mistrust of him wouldn’t allow it. After all, he might just be a spy for the Overlord who would bait unknowing fools into treason simply for Lucan’s pleasure and she had no intention of being caught. “What is this meditating?” she asked, aiming her interest in another direction.

He sighed, “It is a form of concentration that allows the being to reach an inner peace and understanding.” She nodded, truly impressed. “And I understand that you, mi’lady have yet to give me your name, which is fine, but it only serves to make me find you more attractive, if that is possible.”

She blushed a deep purple (having blue skin and blushing tends to do that). “You are very bold, Sir.”

“Well thank you, I try. Well that’s not true, I don’t have to try to be as great as I am.”

Well, he’s very full of himself, isn’t he, she thought to herself. “And I’m not full of myself, I’m confident,” he said as if reading her mind.

“Seems to be one and the same to me,” she responded.

“Oh, the fair lady wounds me. She thinks me a vain, lecherous, handsome elf.” He gave a slight shrug from his seated position, “Meh, she’s probably right. Well seeing as you aren’t going to tell me your name, mind if I ask what brings you out on the sea, so far from home by yourself?” She wanted to rebut the fact that she thought he was handsome, but she really couldn’t without lying. He was actually very attractive, if truth be told. She guessed he wasn’t too much taller the she was, but it was a little hard to tell with him sitting down. With every move he made, she could see his finely toned muscles ripple. His hair was stark white and had very red eyes that shone with an inner fire. His smooth skin was a dark blue that seemed to accentuate the angles of his face.

“I’m not by myself I’ll have you know. And It hardly seems to me that you are concentrating enough to reach an inner peace.”

“Mi’lady, the instant I saw your beauty concentrating was out of the question,” he said as he stood up. “So, can I assume that your companion is another beautiful lady of our kind?”

Sindienu snickered, “You could say that…”

“You alright, Sin?” Tiesor asked, walking up behind her, noting the monk. The shape of his body and the way the dark elf moved spoke volumes about his formidability. The monk tensed at the sudden appearance of the iksar.

“Oh, morning Tie,”

To be continued...

Old 01-15-2005, 08:25 AM   #14
macdadd

koo keep going heh maybe they can kill the new elf heh
Old 01-15-2005, 02:11 PM   #15
Kaitar

Loremaster

I'm enjoing this fan-fic. Keep it coming - nice work so far!

Kaitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 02:29 AM   #16
Dregon8

General

She walked over to the lizard and wrapped her arms around the iksar’s waist.

Tiesor’s eyes never left the monk, trying to gauge whether this newcomer was a threat or some fool out for some reason or another. Judging by his clothing, Tiesor assumed the latter.

It took Morc a second to recover from the shock of the sudden appearance of the iksar. When the beautiful female went over and hugged the beast, it was almost too much for him to handle. He blinked a few times, suddenly aware that he was staring, “Pardon my rudeness and allow me to introduce myself. I am Morc Avgrunnen the gre…”

“I did not ask your name, nor do I care to know it,” Tiesor said harshly.

“Tiesor! There is no reason to speak to him like that.”

“Nor should we give him the opportunity to create a reason,” the iksar responded, still eyeing Morc.

“As I told the lady earlier, I couldn’t possibly think of any reason to get on your bad side.”

“Oh, well then by all means continue to talk to us. With that simple statement you changed my image of you,” Tiesor said, his voice dripping with sarcasm.

“Come on, Tie. Give him a chance. How are you going to make any new friends if you treat everyone like that?”

“I don’t want any more ‘friends’,“ he growled. “The first one I made has me betraying my city, the gods know what another would have me do.” He made this statement for many reasons. The main reason this time was to gauge the monk’s reaction. To his credit, it was very minor. Morc was a bit taken back. For some reason he had figured out that she had left Freeport for good, though with the appearance of the iksar his mind had started to sway to the contrary. Morc was of a rare breed, being a “non-evil” dark elf, though they were becoming more and more common. But “non-evil” of the iksar kind was rare indeed. Of course as far as Morc was concerned everyone was a possible friend until they proved them selves otherwise, then they were just fools that needed a good lesson or two. In all his time in Qeynos he had seen maybe two iksar and there was no telling if they weren’t the same creature. As far as Morc was concerned they all looked the same.

“You are on your way to Qeynos then?”

“That was where we were headed, yes,” Sindienu responded. Seeing as how Tiesor had just told the monk they were betraying Freeport she saw no reason to hide their destination. The monk smiled and nodded in approval.

“I must warn you though, don’t expect a warm welcome. Not many people in Qeynos are as welcoming as the queen would like. But once they warm up to you there is no better place to live.” Mixed feelings passed thru Sindienu at that moment. On the one hand she was thrilled that they could make Qeynos their new home if they so chose but she was also a little hesitant. She loved the wilderness, had grown quite accustomed to it in fact. She couldn’t imagine ever living within the cramped quarters of a city’s walls again. Unbeknownst to her, Tiesor would have wholeheartedly agreed.

“So what brings yourself out here?” Sindienu asked.

“That, I’m afraid, I can not share with you.”

Tiesor scoffed, he knew those words well, or at least their harsher brothers. Something along the lines of “Mind your own business,” or “Speak to me again and die,” the words were different but the meaning was the same. He had both used them and heard them often when talking with the other trainees. They more often then not, meant one of two things: the person was either doing something they shouldn’t or they were doing something their superiors told them to that the said superior shouldn’t be involved in. Needless to say, this did nothing to help Tiesor to trust the monk. The iksar openly put his hand close to his throwing daggers, incase the monk tried anything and to let the monk know he wouldn't get away with it if he did.

It wasn’t hard for Itzal to guess which direction Tiesor would head. The rat knew he would take the quickest route off of the Commons. In fact, they had probably already made it to the boat. The ratonga gave a resigned sigh. He didn’t enjoy riding on boats. Ever since he had been stranded at sea for several days after his wrecked, only to be picked up by a merchant vessel and dropped off on an island overrun by goblins he tended to look down on ocean travel in general. But the fact that he got to kill Tiesor, this most hated of iksar, was more then enough to make him do almost anything unpleasant.

He arrived at the docks no less then three days behind the escaping pair. Their trail would be cold and hard to follow by the time he reached the shore but he would manage. Besides, a pair of a dark elf and an iksar would raise quite a buzz among the natives of Antonica. He was also fairly sure he could “persuade” the ship captain to move the ship as fast as possible. As he settled onto the ship he began to realize something; most of his prey he found and took care of easily enough. But this one, he thought to himself, this leezard should make things interestings. He smiled with open excitement, yes, this would be fun.

To be continued...

(Whoops, forgot to add my trademark to be continued, heh)

Message Edited by Dregon828 on 01-27-2005 07:42 AM

Old 01-25-2005, 04:44 AM   #17
macdadd

koo
Old 01-26-2005, 03:39 AM   #18
DBozLizardman

Loremaster

Awesome story so far, man. Can't wait to see more.
DBozLizardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 01:37 AM   #19
RogueS

WRITE MORE DAMNIT !
RogueS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 02:34 AM   #20
Dregon8

General

For some reason Tiesor couldn’t determine, Sindienu seemed to have come to trust this new dark elf. She asked him question after question, which didn’t seem to bother this Morc. The iksar just stood back and watched, never out of reach to defend the druid if need be.

“Morc Avgrunnen,” Sindienu said. “Where did you get your name? It doesn’t sound like any Tier’dal name I’ve ever heard.”

Morc smiled, “It’s actually dwarvish, Morc means dark one.”

“And Avgrunnen?” she prompted.

The monk smiled wider, “Of the abyss, which they tell me I earned thru fighting.”

“Dark one of the abyss? Hardly a name for a tranquil monk,” Tiesor commented.

Morc chuckled, “Well, it’s what I’m known by and how I introduce myself, and I never claimed to be tranquil.”

Tiesor gave a slight nod, “Well said.”

Morc stared at Tiesor. “What are you looking at, monk“, Tiesor growled.

“Oh, excuse me,” Morc responded. “I was just trying to picture how you fought, from just looking at you I would imagine you to be aggressive and have parry as your main defense. But your appearance belies your true agility and intelligence, doesn’t it?”

“Care to find out?” the iksar replied, a smirk on his lips. He got a glare from Sindienu for that.

“Actually, I would.” Morc said, much to the surprise of both the iksar and the girl. “Combat is the best way to find out who someone is. People speak thru fighting; they convey emotions, tendencies, and personality, among other things. Though from your award winning personality I can already tell you’re the type that doesn’t care about anyone until they prove their worth. Very much like a dwarf, if you don’t mind me saying.”

“That all depends, I’ve never met a dwarf.”

“Good, hearty folk. There isn’t a more loyal race on Norrath, as long as you find a way on their good side, which is no easy feat. Their bad side you want to avoid at all costs. You haven’t seen anything till you’ve witnessed dwarven fury.”

“I’d say that describes him pretty well,” Sindienu commented.

“Then shall we?” Morc prompted, moving out to mid-ship.

“Very well, what are the rules?” Tiesor said, stepping away from the rail.

“Well, obviously, not to the death, any weapons or skills at your disposal are usable, we fight until one of us yield or Sindienu calls it because we are both unfit to do so.”

“Can I call it now?” she asked, not really expecting an answer. She didn’t want to watch them fight. Fighting seemed so pointless to her.

“So, slashing weapons are okay. Don’t blame me if you don’t survive this fight.”

“Heh, you’re assuming you can hit me. Begin.” Tiesor unsheathed his weapons and waited for the opportunity to make his move. He didn’t have to wait long. Morc was watching the iksar intently, watching the subtle way he moved and positioned his body. He blinked once and much to his surprise, Tiesor had vanished. Sindienu gasped in surprise, she had lost sight of Tiesor many times in there travels and had seen the ratonga seemingly appear out of no where, but the iksar simply vanished.

Ah, Morc thought to himself, he’s an assassin. This’ll be fun. Morc closed his eyes and concentrated on the sounds surrounding him. The sound of the waves hitting the boat, the call of the ocean gulls, Morc knew the assassin would be much to quiet to hear stepping but not even quiet steps would keep wood from groaning under shifting weight.

Eyes still closed, Morc took two quick steps to his left and struck. A heavy thud was heard followed by a groan and the appearance of the missing iksar. Excepting the heavy hit, Tiesor used its momentum to go into a backward roll and get some distance between himself and the monk. “Surely you didn’t think hiding from me would work,” Morc taunted.

“I’ve learned my lesson, elf. It won’t happen again, I assure you.” Tiesor would never admit it but that punch had hurt more then he believe possible from someone so small. He took a balanced stance and waited. He had underestimated the monk once, he wasn’t about to do it again. Morc came on fast and hard and with such ferocity that it rocked Tiesor back on his heals. Feet and fists came at the iksar from impossible angles; it was all Tiesor could do to block them all. Metal rang against metal as sword and axe hit bracer and shin-guard. The blows came so fast Sindienu couldn’t follow them all. Despite her loathing of fighting it actually was quite beautiful to watch. It looked like more of a dance then a battle. Both combatants, so agile and fluid in their movements, their steps so sure and balanced.

The noise of battle had drawn in more then a few of the other, more curious passengers on the boat. Many of them ready to join in on the fun. To her credit, Sindienu managed to keep the eager ones back with the help of a couple of the more honorable on-lookers.

Tiesor found a rhythm to the monk’s attacks and built on it. Steadily he got faster until he was attacking as much as he was dodging or parrying. Morc smiled in approval. “Good, it seems your not just all talk,” he said while swinging a right hook.

Tiesor scoffed as he ducked away from the punch, “Like you have any room to say I talk big.” Tiesor stabbed with his sword, knowing it would be dodged. The monk leaned back out of the stab’s range. Tiesor followed it with a powerful axe cut aimed for the monk’s hips. Thinking the monk caught, the crowd gasped as one. Much to everyone’s surprise, the monk dropped back further, all the way to the ground, in fact. As the axe swung over him, Morc kicked out with one of his feet, knocking the axe out of the iksar’s hand. The axe flew up then landed on the deck a few feet away, blade imbedded in the wood. Morc straightened his arms to where he was sitting up, sent his feet into a circle around him, picking his hands up when they would have interfered with his lower half’s momentum, and sweep kicked Tiesor’s feet out from under him. Tiesor used the fall to go into a roll that got him within reach of his axe. And they squared off once more.

“That’s twice now I’ve managed to knock you off your feet, not to mention disarming you, how embarrassing,” Morc chided. Several of the on-lookers chuckled with amusement. Tiesor growled with frustration. Try as he might, the iksar couldn’t figure this monk out. He didn’t seem to follow any set pattern. As soon as the iksar thought he had him figured out Morc would surprise him with something completely new. He would just have to surprise the monk right back.

This time, Tiesor didn’t wait for the monk to initiate the encounter. He waded in and worked the monk hard, lunging, slashing, and chopping. Morc had to block more attacks then he had had to yet, being unable to simply dodge them. Tiesor brought both of his weapons together and swung with all his might at the monk. Foolish, Morc thought, easily ducking below the weapons. Tiesor used the force of his swing and continued his turn, moving as quickly as possible. Before the monk had a chance to straighten up, the weapon Tiesor meant to use to begin with came into play. Morc caught a scaled tail with his face and spun to the ground. He rolled away and quickly got back to his feet, spitting out a little blood as he did.

“What? No witty comment this time?” Tiesor said with a smirk, as they squared off for a third time.

To be continued...

(Write more Damnit? Well gee, I guess I'll take that as a complement...) :smileywink:

Old 02-14-2005, 07:48 AM   #21
macdadd

gj man
Old 02-17-2005, 03:44 AM   #22
Markhe

This a great and very entertaining piece, I hope to see you continue it in the near future.Dynas Kytarras Jir`tanaIksar Ranger, Lucan D`Lere server

Markhera Seylas`Kizrad - Retired
GMs told my wife if she wasn't happy with the game she should just quit. So we did. Thanks for the advice, Sony.
Markhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 01:13 PM   #23
Rysva

Loremaster

Wassup with Tiesor and the others on the boat now? Even the boat trips in EQ1 didn´t take that long! SMILEY

Can´t wait for you to continue your story. I check every day...

GJ! Keep going!
Old 02-24-2005, 02:36 AM   #24
Dregon8

General

Morc tried to respond to the taunt but the blow had knocked a little respect into him and a little cockiness out. The monk wiped off his cheek with his arm, cleaning the blood from his face. I’ll feel that one in the morning, the monk thought to himself. “It’s time to end this,” Morc said stepping forward.

“Aye, ye got tha’ right,” said a gruff voice from the crowd. A figure pushed its way thru the crowd until it got to the point of all the excitement. “What are ye about, then?” the human asked the two. He was old, for a human anyway. Wrinkles were displayed across his face, with pride it seemed and it would be faster to count how many teeth he had instead of how many were missing. His coarse white hair and wrinkled tan skin told tales of too much time spent on the ocean, in the sun.

Morc turned to look at the fellow. “Is there a problem, captain?”

“Aye, there is. A bloody ruckus comin’ from the bow of me ship, tha’s the problem. Any idea ‘ow ta fix it?” the captain said, glaring at the monk.

“My apologies, good sir,” Morc responded with a slight bow. “We will mind our ‘ruckus’ as you put it.”

“See that ya do. I like a good fight as well as the next bu’ on me ship’s a diff’ren’ story. All ye scabs ‘ear tha’ ,” the man yelled out to the crowd. “No more figh’en’ on me ship. Any more fights start up and the lot of ya will get real acquain’ed with the fish.” As the crowd began to disperse, many people grumbling with dissatisfaction that the fight ended so abruptly and without conclusion, the captain took a couple of steps toward the iksar. Unsure of his intentions, the iksar tensed ready to fight if the human attempted to make good on his words and throw him overboard. The captain leaned over put his hand to the side of his mouth and whispered loud enough for the monk to hear, “Just so’s ya know, I was bettin’ on ya.”

The look on Tiesor’s face was one of incredulity. After the moment of shock passed the anger crept in. “Then why stop the fight when I gained the upper hand?” he asked harshly.

“Well, I can’t have some idget dyin’ on me ship now can I. Get me in trouble with people I don’t care ta be in trouble with, if ya understand mah meanin’. Course tha’ one could die an’ Norrath be a be’er place for it iff’n ya ask me. Nothin’ but trouble, tha’ one.”

“You know him?”

“Oh aye, seen ‘im a few times. Always pickin’ fights or doin’ other stuff ‘e aught not ta be doin’.”

The iksar raised an eyebrow. “Is that so? And from where does he hail?” he asked, trying to catch the monk in a lie.

“Qeynos, or so I’ve ‘eard.”

Tiesor let out his disappointment with a sigh. “Well safe journeys to you captain.”

The captain smirked, and started walking back to the helm of the ship, “Strange words comin’ from the mouth of an iksar but, joyous returns to yerself.”

Now it was the iksar’s turn to smirk for he had no intention of returning to where he left, “Let’s hope not.”

Sindienu walked up and nudged him with her elbow. “See you can be civil if you want to.” Tiesor gave her a wry expression to which she merely laughed.

“Well fought, my friend,” Morc said, patting the iksar’s shoulder roughly. “I’ll be feeling your tail on my face for a while I’m afraid. I must say you are among the most gifted assassins I’ve ever met.” Tiesor nodded in appreciation but gave no such compliment to the monk. He wasn’t really alarmed by the fact that the monk had guessed his trade either. The iksar really had given it away when he hid himself from view while on the open bow of the ship.

“LAND HO.” Came a cry from the crow’s nest. Reflectively, Tiesor and the two Tier’dal looked west to see a sliver of land come into view.

To be continued...

(You guys rock, makes my day to see someone say they check back daily. :smileyhappy: But I'm not sure about the eq1 boats, it sure FELT like it took 2 weeks, especially when your comp was so slow it didnt zone you onto the boat until it was already zoning back into oot :smileytongue: and I'm sure more then a few of you were agreeing with the crowd that was walking away grumbling at how the fight ended)

Message Edited by Dregon828 on 02-23-2005 03:39 PM

Old 02-24-2005, 04:57 AM   #25
y

Yay!!!!! write more. Now. And ive seen worse endings to fights.
y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 11:55 PM   #26
DBozLizardman

Loremaster

Excellent story so far man, and while I'm not quite so rabid for more that I check back daily SMILEY I do pop in every couple of days or so. Great job!
DBozLizardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 10:21 AM   #27
psychotikfrog

Loremaster

Cmon man, I've been following this since u started it, need more!
Say, when's the book coming out?
psychotikfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 06:23 AM   #28
Imagon

Aye make a book
Imagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 01:36 AM   #29
Xathrax

Loremaster

great read. Keep up the good work.
Cant wait for more.

Xathrax
Xathrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 04:17 PM   #30
psychotikfrog

Loremaster

Isn't it annoying having a great thread like this bookmarked, and you see a '1' next to it and think "Ah, he's written more!" only to go to it and discover someone has just written something like this SMILEY

On that note 'write more!'

psychotikfrog is offline   Reply With Quote