EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > The Tavern > Traveler's Tales
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-24-2008, 04:59 PM   #61
niko_teen

Loremaster

So I was digging through some of the old pages of stuff to see how far back some of my stories have fallen and came across this one. Since we have a lot of new blood around here I was thinking of popping this up to the top. Gives the new people a chance to add in their piece and maybe some of the old foggies like myself to do a new one maybe?

As SOE and I disagree on creative rights my series can be found at: theshattering.com
niko_teen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 01:29 PM   #62
Rioghna

Loremaster

Since you went to the trouble of popping I thought I'd add in my "little" blurb...

Stats:  Human, female, late 30's although I have the chipmunk cheeks of a 20-something.  Which means that no-one yet really believes I'm in my 30's... myself included.  If I didn't have the photographic proof that I've lived overseas in several countries for most of my 20s I'd never believe it... well, that and I now have the mortgage for the condo that seems to symbolize the shackles of adulthood...gah, they chafe on my trim (but of course) wanderlusty sort of ankles.  I'm a tech person for a fairly large Canadian firm in Toronto so hence my sporadic writing and playing record of late.  I'm not married, have no kids (I didn't think it fair to drag either all over the world) but now that I've put down apparent semi-roots I have two cats.  One cat adopted and she's a street kitty, carries brass knuckles in her pockets and would take you down if you blinked wrong (or didn't give her food, treats, toys etc).  The other is a Bengal (one F level shy of being considered domestic) who is in training to be a Vah Shir... seriously you don't want to be in the way when she's hunting those evil pigeons outside the window... and you know they are evil (Lucan would be so lucky to be half that evil).

***disclaimer after re-reading this - this writer has serious problem being serious... I might have to attend a group for it... or take a course... or pills... or several glasses of wine... or give it up as a lost cause.  Whichever comes first, cheapest, or easiest, of course.***Hobbies (other then EQ):  Err... work, work and work at the moment.  Oh, seriously, right then.  Well, a little beadwork - I took it up at my sister's suggestion to keep me busy at night when I was trying to understand tv in other languages and failing miserably.  I have managed to work my way up to incredibly simple bracelets and necklaces that a child could string but plan to someday make it to incredibly simple bracelets and necklaces that an adult might make.  My Mother tried to teach me knitting but has since written me off as a lost cause since I seem to be only functional with scarves and afghans provided the use the exact same basic ... er thingy... stitch or whatever it's called when you loop the thread over the needles.  Photography.  I used to sail and ski but the sail boat has been in my parents' shed since I started traveling and the skis have been in storage since I left Japan.  But I'll get them out as soon as I feel ready to brave the spiders (or find someone to do it for me as they are my one bane... spiders... I have many spider stories of fear...trust me... spiders are up to something.)***second disclaimer - writer has verbal diarrhea... it's genetic with no cure (I'm sure there's a pamphlet somewhere telling how much of the population suffers from it) ***

What I must have when I'm writing:  Absolute silence.  Hah, hah, hah, er, no.   Mostly because that never happens in my life.  Ever.  Um... I must have something to drink at hand because getting up to forage in the kitchen (which of course is like... five steps away from my computer nook) is just too far away, seriously, too far.  A nice crisp glass of coke, mountain dew (chilled not shaken), perhaps a nice vintage root beer and so forth.  Music if I'm sitting down to focus on the writing and it's not really the music that I'd logically think I should be listening to... Music:  I have a pretty broad range of music on my cd shelves.  Well, except Japanese Enka - you won't find that there.  Unless someone gave it too me as a gift and I've been too nice (see lazy) to throw it in the donation bin somewhere.  But there is pretty much music from around the world, different types like kodo (hey who doesn't like music played by men in little loincloths, honestly), rock etc, etc, yadda, yadda, yadda.  My favourite changes with the mood I'm in.  And I get songs stuck in my head rather badly.  I once spent an entire week in Amsterdam humming Wheatus' "Teenage Dirtbag" song, for example.  It wasn't even in my cd collection.  Right now it's The DNC's "Swing Baby Swing" from a lottery commercial... dang alluring lotteries.  I want my millions and the song on my ipod...grrrr.

Books:  I am a bookaholic.  I don't attend meetings because this is one vice I refuse to give up (even when living abroad... Kinokuniya here I come).  Like music, I change favourites every so often...sort of.  I still keep the old favourites on the bookshelf and re-read periodically.  Like Tolkien who has been a favourite since I was ten.  I've had multiple copies of The Hobbit over the years (someday they will make a sturdy cover and pages that stay stuck together...oh yes they will).  I'm in a Terry Pratchett sort of mood of late.  Mostly the Wee Free Men state of mind with Rob Anybody (whom I keep picturing as Gerard Butler in a totally weird dream sequence...er... ahem... private life, right... must remember that is private), Wee Jock and Smaller than Wee Jock but Bigger than Wee Jock Jock.  Ahhh, who can't love a pictsie??  Also Lindsey Davis who writes about Rome and Marcus Didius Falco... he's such a charming ragamuffiny rogue.  Okay, so any book that makes me laugh while I'm sitting in a waiting room, to get my allergy shot, that is full of sickies is my kind of book.  I never tire of the dirty looks I get... never.

TV:  Heroes, John Amsterdam, Jpod (sadly cancelled...), er... Dancing with the Stars if I PVR-it because then I can watch it in fast forward... it's amazing how many shows have become 100% more entertaining with Tivo... well, the Canadian version of Tivo.  I have a penchant for liking shows that get cancelled quickly... grrr... like Wonderfalls, Dead Like Me (I am slightly concerned for Pushing Daisies as it's by the same guy...and I like it).  Then there's my British dvd collection with Blacks Books, Coupling and so forth.

And that's me in a little nutshell (no Austin Powers jokes if you please).  Further questions will be answered between the hours of 12:59:59 p.m. and 13:00:00.  Unless you are, in fact, Gerard Butler and then questions will be answered at any time. 

Rioghna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 11:30 AM   #63
niko_teen

Loremaster

Updated since it's been over a year since the last time that posted. Also like Ekuthh my status has changed a lot since this meet the authors/lurkers post was generated.

Stats: 

27, male, married with 2 children. I guess that I am located in central Maryland, but this place is still pretty much the DC metro area even if I am a fair distance North of the beltway; I still have to drive into DC from time to time for meetings and conferences. Since the last post on here I've gotten back into DOD contracting. Not contractor like pouring concrete or carpentry, more like a lot of teaching coupled with consulting work and a fair amount of international travel.

I've got the dirge (3 1/2 year old girl) and little tike who is too little to have a class yet. Once he starts walking we'll see if he ends up being a swashy or zerker. Currently I don't see either of them very much being 600 miles away but we're fixing to change that come the end of May.

Hobbies: 

Eberon campaign takes up one of my Saturdays every other week. The great part is that I get to play and not be shackled in as DM. (I love my bow-fighter and his randomly cycling psychosis and memory issues. There is nothing more fun then getting reduced to zero HP, having one's memory reset and just randomly wandering off because I don't know who's side I'm suppose to be one. Or better yet helping the enemy faction capture my party because they said I was on their side and I couldn't remember any better if I was or wasn't.)

Playing the ever-crack as me and some of the local friends refer to Everquest and writing. Granted I am coming off of a six month hiatus both from playing and also from writing. Things were just a little to hectic at work from October - February but I'm back now. It is just a little sad for me that this large fan base that I had accumulated at one point has all but faded away.

Rescuing my bosses [I cannot control my vocabulary]. Believe it or not but I spend a large amount of every week running out to put out the fires that get started and keep the client happy.

Lastly college is my newest endeavor.  I haven't decided if I am going to take a summer class or not yet but I've got my GI bill to use or I am going to loose what I put into it. So I might as well finish up my degree. That and well I'm pretty much capped on my income until I can get a stupid piece of paper that says I've wasted money on an education.

Writing Essentials:

DEW! First and foremost I need my Mt Dew and maybe a can or two of monster when the brain needs a real kick to get moving.

Desktop or Laptop and sometimes the headset. The good old fashioned pen and paper takes WAY too long and well so does the head set half the time. But if it's a slow moving part I'll un-mute the mic and put the headset on. Just when I've got one of those days where I'm just flying along I cannot even speak into the mic fast enough to keep pace I've gotta resort to keyboard. That and lastly gotta have the laptop for road trips and the such. Just never know when I'm going to get an idea that I'd like to incorporate into the story and well... took one to many mortar rounds the head so I don't remember well if I don't write it down.

Music:

I'm a music [Removed for Content]. The wife hates it but I am constantly buying new CDs or an mp3 (or a dozen). I've got everything from Beethoven to Cradle of Filth to Kenny Chesney. I love music and I'll even change around what I am listening to depending on what I'm writing. A touching love scene = Country/Classical/Light rock, a battle scene = Rap/Metal/Hard rock/Techno, and just some little filler maybe some trance or a classical selection.

Let it be known that music is as essential to my writing as having a computer to type away on. It just has this way of awakening my muse.

Books:

I wish to god that I had time to read. Mostly I only read when I'm on a plane or it's my turn to be the navigator when driving to any of the military bases this side of the Mississippi. I aspire to one day be able to write like Terry Goodkind or George R. R. Martin.

TV: 

Well quite simply I do not watch much TV at home BSG (Battlestar Galitica & CNN Headline news). We're trying to set an example for my daughter that she should be up about and playing instead of just sitting on the couch watching TV. Now that being said I'm pretty sure that I have Every Disney DVD in existence and we watch a movie or two depending on our behavior. As well as fair amount of Anime (the good stuff, FMP, Samurai Champloo, Samurai X (the OVAs, the series sucked IMO), Shiro no Toki, Elfin lied, and the list goes on and on.)

As SOE and I disagree on creative rights my series can be found at: theshattering.com
niko_teen is offline   Reply With Quote