EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Kunark Ascending Beta > General Beta Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-17-2016, 10:51 PM   #1
rezmond666

I hate to rant but honestly hope you listen because this is a major issue.

Please wake up...

Resolve is killing the game, ruining raids and breaking up guilds.

Even for guilds that manage to get 24 people most of the time they are still going to have bad days. So what then? we all cancel raid and log off because a few people are sick or working late?.

Unless you want to force everyone to have 24 people show up there are still ways you could let us shorthand things.

For example
Option 1 - Almost all classes give +10 resolve buff (some +15). You could scale the raids and take off 10 resolve for every person that is not there...

Option 2 - get rid of the "raid wide" resolve buff and just leave it on gear. You previously said you did not want to create another "crit mit" but how you have implemented it in Kunark is exactly that. You require T1 gear to do T2
and so on. Not only is it now "crit mit" gear check but now also a "number of players" in your raid check.

Resolve is about 1000 times worse than crit mit ever was. It has held back my guild on Thurgadin and I have seen a whole bunch of guild break up and people quit because of it.

I kinda get that you have dug yourselves a giant hole with stat inflation. The way to fix it and stop people 1 grouping raid content is not by adding "resolve".

Feel free to do a poll on live server to see who wants to keep resolve and who thinks its a stupid idea..

I personally can say that I know nearly everyone in my guild has decided they have had enough and will quit (myself included) unless you remove this. .
Old 10-17-2016, 11:54 PM   #2
rezmond666

[tried to edit my original post but time expired]...

You currently have a chance to turn this around, fix this and make a real difference to players. If you miss the boat on this then it will be too late.

There are also other effects resolve has that are not so obvious.

- It makes recruitment extremely hard. People do not want to join a guild that is stuck because they do not have the numbers (even if you have really great experienced raiders).

- People get frustrated with the lack of progress and quit either their guild, the game or both.

Finally, it is really sad to see guilds with 3 or 4 good players and 20 average / bad players higher on progression than guilds with 18 great players (but missing resolve).

What has always set EQ aside from other MMO's is the end game. The teamwork , the challenge and the difficulty involved is what made this game great to play. This is something you have done a great job at removing. If you want to make the end game just like all the other games out there then what reason is there for any of us to stick around?. Maybe think about who you target audience is? do you want to keep your current player base happy? or you do want to drive them away and try and target a different crowd?.
Old 10-18-2016, 12:54 AM   #3
Gninja

Developer

There is some good info in THIS thread that might shed some light on what we are doing with Resolve in this expansion.
Gninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 01:15 AM   #4
Tohopka

Even though i dont raid anymore Gninja, its not gonna effect doing the normal heroic or advanced solo is it??? curious is all.
Tohopka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 01:16 AM   #5
Gninja

Developer

Heroics do have resolve but its a lot lower amount than raids for obvious reasons. Solo zones do not use resolve.
Gninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 01:22 AM   #6
Tohopka

Thank you for the quick reply, i just finally got back in and started the adventurer sig still working on crafting on other guy i copy.
Tohopka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 07:19 PM   #7
rezmond666

I actually read that, it is what I based my post on. Did you take the time to read mine?. I did not just rant, I tried to point out the negative effects of resolve and ways you could address these issues?.

From your post:
Tier 2: 515 (This value is assuming you have 80% of your gear from heroic (tier2/3) and/or raid tier1 gear from KA zones, heroic mount, and at least 22 members in your raid)
Tier 3: 590 (This value is assuming you have at least 50% of your gear from raid tier2 gear from KA zones, heroic mount, and at least 24 members in your raid)
Tier 4: 620 (This value is assuming you have at least 50% of your gear from raid tier3 gear from KA zones, heroic mount, and at least 24 members in your raid)

So basically:
* Anyone with under 22 members is stuck at T1.
* Despite the fact you said you did not want another "crit mit" you have also now made it very similar (it cri8t mit then some more on top). You have to gear T1 to do T2 and so on. That is EXACTLY how crit mit worked. The only difference is now it has the added bonus of making raids take X number of people.

As I said before it is crit mit + number of people check. It is killing the game (see my original posts as to the negative impact resolve has).

I get the feeling you did not bother to read what I had to say despite the fact some of it was constructive and not a just rant.
Old 10-19-2016, 12:53 AM   #8
rezmond666

"T3/T4 should not be doable short handed in first place until overly geared."

- yeah you do this by making the encounter HARD. You do not do this buy just adding a check to see if you have 24 random people with a stupid raid wide buff running.

Its funny you should be the only defender of Resolve. Yesterday everyone on live (Thurgadin) was ******** about resolve and your name did come up. I dont know why the devs listen to you instead of the other 99.999% of the player base but your vision of EQ2 is not what everyone else wants.
Old 10-19-2016, 01:07 AM   #9
Stimps

No problem with resolve here...this is the first expansion they are implementing it. Give the devs some time. The only possible problem I have with resolve is the negative impact on player healing. I get doing less damage with less resolve, but maybe remove the penalty on taking more damage. That would sufficiently gate behind gear while giving shorthanded guilds a chance through perseverance and skill. Though....we could then just call it crit mit
Old 10-19-2016, 01:49 AM   #10
rezmond666

".this is the first expansion they are implementing it." - Whens the last time you ever played? resolve is on live server and has been since April.

https://www.everquest2.com/news/gu-100-live-eq2-2016
"New Equipment Stat: Resolve"

I have seen 3 guilds on my server quit raiding and a whole bunch more stuck not able to do progress just because they lack a few people.

I have also personally seen a whole bunch of people quit (because of resolve). In addition lots of people I know have no intention of buying the expansion unless they sort this out because they are sick and tired of being held back by this ******** stat.

If resolve is so great then why not do a poll on live?. Ask how many players want to keep resolve and how many want it removed. If you win the poll i will gladly shut up and go play ESO or TERA and leave you all to it.

I dont know, maybe its different on US Servers. Maybe you all have tons of people applying to guilds instead of an ever decreasing player base making recruitment increasingly difficult like we do on Thurgadin. All that resolve has done for our server is drive people away and make recruitment even harder. The players I talk to want to see more challenging encounters in EQ2 like we had in the past. Wheres the challenge in just blocking progression because you lack numbers (totally ignoring skill) rather than making the encounter hard?.

If I want an easy game like that I will go play WoW or LOTRO.......
Old 10-19-2016, 02:12 AM   #11
KitKat31337

So far you are the only one that I have seen rant about resolve. Personally, on live, we do not always fill a raid, and are still progressing nicely, by getting better geared and making up for the resolve gap with skill and determination. Resolve isn't a make it or break it stat unless you are WAY short. a little short means your healers need to be on their game and you need to work as a raid to get every little bit of DPS out of your force. One thing we have started to do is stack elemental rending with things like devastation strike and decisive strike. A few Arcane Rending as well, and the resolve gap we have doesn't seem to hurt us quite as much.

So your argument that huilds that cannot fill raids cannot progress is simply false. Raids are raids for a reason. You do need numbers. And Resolve is meant to be a gateway stat, they have never hidden this fact. They have actually done quite well at making it a pretty soft gateway, giving people many options on how to meet it or overcome the gap.
Old 10-19-2016, 02:25 AM   #12
Ashandra

There's a million reasons why Reasons resolve is bad I thought it was mainly to stop ppl from soloing or 1 grouping content to farm and sell but it's there to now funnel you through progression you must have heroic gear stats then farm t1 ,t2 ect it makes you have to regear over so you make the cut for the next tiers that's how it is being used. It used to be scripts made the road blocks in expansions now it's done with this. It makes it hard when ppl leave and you take recruits though as the resolve kills them.
Old 10-19-2016, 02:35 AM   #13
Stimps

Zek "Update" - testing the resolve mechanic.......so once again this is the first implementation in an expansion. Currently only GU 101 content has it. I know....is difficult to check yourself before you blow off the handle when emotional. Resolve hasn't done anything but add a requirement. Meet the requirement or don't complete the content. I'm done being constructive and pandering to the bad players. Take your ranting to some other game. Our better yet, be quiet and /bug the content with relevant information instead of cluttering up the forums with middle school "everyone hates it i know so" threats.
Old 10-19-2016, 02:43 AM   #14
Ashandra

Hmm I just see some ppl expressing there views I've cleared the content same as most you can talk about this that's how stuff gets tweaked or left it's up to the dev and they do read the threads.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:07 AM   #15
Errrorr

Consider the fact you dont NEED to be at the target to kill a mob.

So the 22 members in raid, you could easily be 2 or 3 short still and kill things I'm sure. OR, you can earn more T1 gear to overcome the gap more.

T3/T4 should not be doable short handed in first place until overly geared.
Errrorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 10:10 AM   #16
rezmond666

Lets get one thing straight,

I have no problem with gear progression (I am all for bringing back crit mit)
I have no problem with hard scripts
I do not mind the progression part of Resolve or any other stat, T1 for T2, T2 for T3 and so on
I have no problem with a combination of both of the above.

What has made EQ2 great has always been the "challenge". While gear always played a part, being good at your class once made a difference.

Raids were hard and killing named gave you a real sense of achievement. It took an entire group effort (aka teamwork).

What made raids both difficult and rewarding included things like:

* requiring everyone to focus
* hard scripts
* good agro management
* quick cures, hard healing
* dps that could shift targets

This is what has set EQ1 + EQ2 aside from every other MMO.

Raids were 100 times harder in the past and WE DID NOT NEED "resolve" to make us take 24 people.

If the only way to force encounters to require 24 people is to add a stupid raid wide buff rather than any of the above then there is something clearly broken with the game.

What I DO have a problem with is the stupid raid wide buff that everyone has.

What resolve has done is lower the bar. The challenge has gone, you do not need any of the above. All you need is 24 people to show up. The end game has changed, 4 or 5 people now can "carry" the entire raid.

We have managed to get some of the named that require high resolve in zek (raids) stable despite missing 100 or so resolve.

That said rather than letting us take 20-30 minutes of slow dps, hard heals the named have stupid timers on them. The raid just blows up after X minutes. What is the purpose of this? Like I said before this does not make the game "challenge" it just makes it a "number of people" check.

@Stimps " I'm done being constructive and pandering to the bad players." - Technically I am trying to make an argument for making the game harder. So in other words by disagreeing with my argument you are in favour of allowing bad players to complete top end content?. I can therefore only conclude that you fall into the category of "Bad Players" as you are such a fan of resolve. If you were any good at your class you would prefer challenging encounters instead of a 24 person check.
Old 10-19-2016, 02:05 PM   #17
Nkito

I agree resolve is not my favorite way to go about things, but have accepted that it's now part of the game. With that in mind we can try to have it tweaked so that it's not just a one dimensional gating mechanic.

Originally I thought that dropping resolve buffs to 5/10 instead of the current 10/15 would be a step in that direction (and subsequent buffing of the encounter to offset this). But seeing as resolve on gear is getting increased and the buff being left alone accomplishes the same thing.

I think once resolve on gear increases enough things will smooth out, unless they increase the buffs again and we're back to square one.
Old 10-19-2016, 03:54 PM   #18
Anatha

In our guild on live, we rarely have 18 players let alone 24. We have a set resolve requirement and run guildies through heroics to get the gear they need to meet the resolve requirement. We have taken down the 1st boss in Zek with as little as 14 to 16 players. We have almost defeated the next boss. It takes determination but we will get there. On that note, what would be the individual resolve requirement now for the new expac. We currently tell guildies that they need at least 125 individually. Just curious what we need to strive for.
Old 10-19-2016, 06:25 PM   #19
Gaius

So add more people to your guild and don't be so picky about what you require. If your current 18 are really good enough except for resolve then invite 6 people that can follow instruction...
Gaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 09:37 PM   #20
Tigerr

People are quitting because of the insane amounts of potency on solo/heroic items.. People are quitting because they have to run solo zones in order to have best in slot gear. I promise you, they are not quitting because content is hard/gated. If anything, that is what this game needs. Gear Progression and the jump in potency was a mistake but I feel the devs are working hard to fix/tune progression/balance.

You should absolutely have to do T1 in order to progress to T2. I agree with Errorr 100% and most of my guild feels this way. I don't see this as another crit mit. Like someone said earlier, if it is about missing 2-3 people then grind the starter content more until the gap is filled.

As long as they balance it correctly, resolve is a great way to force gear progression. To say that it is going to stop people from progressing is absolutely wrong. The gap CAN be filled. If you are worried about Eq2 becoming LOTRO or WoW, talk about the gear progression/inflated stats.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:51 PM   #21
Tigerr

You do realize with the amount of variables in EQ2, it is impossible to create a system where Mob #1 is easier than Mob#2 and so on all the way to the 17th mob in the expac.

I personally loved ToV progression. Some mobs in Dreadmaw (ToV 2.0) were easier than mobs in the regular x4 halls. In order for them to force gear upgrades, resolve had to be added. I think this is a way to start "fresh" with the inflated stat situation they created. I do not see anything wrong with having to run T1 to gear up ( even recruits) in order to be ready for T2. They are designing encounters with a certain gear level in mind.. What do you expect them to do?. Balance around mit/potency/cb/resists? What sort of scripts do you suggest they use to make content more challenging?. The gap between heroic and raid is getting smaller and smaller. The stats are closer than they have ever been. I believe with the situation we are in, resolve was a good idea.
Old 10-19-2016, 11:06 PM   #22
Ashandra

Hopefully the devs looked at the mess that happened with gear progression last expac . Gear progression is what keeps us playing with out it done properly you can have all the zones in the world but we will forget about running them if the loot table is poorly done that includes resolve.
Old 10-19-2016, 11:31 PM   #23
Yards

The big problem I see with resolve in this upcoming expansion is how there is no smooth transition from ToT end game gear to the new expansions content. ToT BiS gear is going to be upgraded immediately in the next expansion by solo gear and heroic gear and will have to be replaced immediately if you want to raid the new content due to resolve checks. This poses a big problem because right now there is no point to playing at all until the new content comes out. If this is the direction they choose to go with the new expansions, there will be no point in playing at all once the expansion is cleared due to the fact that current expansion's gear is useless in the next expansion. It is hard to convince people to keep raiding after the expansion is cleared if there is no gear transition from one expansion to another.
Old 10-20-2016, 06:56 AM   #24
Pitta

I feel like everyone who has posted on here, maybe with the exception of 2 or 3 people have just overlooked one massive detail about resolve, and what has been said about it. Gninja linked it on page 1.

NOTE: Before complaining about the resolve values please take into consideration how much resolve you get from Kunark Ascending items not current Terrors of Thalumbra items.

There have been EXTREMELY limited amounts of end heroic/early raid gear and ZERO t2+ raid gear released so far in beta. Before all of you complain that this stat is killing your raid, you should probably take into account the fact that the intensity of the effect that the resolve raid buff has on a given raid force will decrease as you get better gear. They do not plan to upgrade the resolve player buff. They have stated this multiple times across multiple platforms of communication. This buff will simply become an added bonus, not something that will be required to kill raid mobs. This is based on simple math.

Speaking of math, lets look at some. tier 1 raid gear, so far that we have seen, has 14 resolve per piece (subject to change). you have 21 slots of gear. if you were to completely gear out in t1 raid gear, and you had 3 full groups, (accounting for the fact that we seem to be dealing with this problem alot from the same few people)(see below), you would have the following resolve:
21x14= 294 resolve.
lets say you had the following group resolve setup:
Group 1: main tank group, cleric/coercer
10, 10,10, 10,15,15
Group 2: (mage group)
10, 10, 10,15, 10, 10
Group 3: OT group, druid coercer
10, 10,10, 10, 10,15
That realistic 3 group setup nets 200 more resolve
294+200=494 resolve. If tier 2 raid content requires 515 resolve, that means with THREE GROUPS, you can easily kill any tier 2 mob from a resolve standpoint. a 10% DR/DA is miniscule.

Also, another detail that one person in particular is completely ignoring: x4 content is meant for 4 full groups.
If you try to go in with 3 groups, simple logic dictates that you shouldn't be able to succeed.

With the implementation of Kunark gear resolve values, i dont see a stat that is killing raids. I just see gear progression.
But of course, i was taking all those values for the average-joe rank 50+ guild, not top-20 raid guilds that actually fill rosters, recruit people, and try to succeed, rather than quitting when the going gets tough.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:28 AM   #25
rezmond666

I am probably repeating myself but the short version of what I am trying to say is that if the raids are hard enough surely there would be no need for resolve?. We never needed it in the past...

On our server some of the "top guilds" on progress have some of the worst players and are only so high because they have 24 people and the few good players they have "carry" the rest. I don't know about everyone else here but that's not the EQ2 I have loved to play since EQ2 beta?.

If I were to consider the fact my assumption is false:
If they do make the encounters hard then resolve becomes redundant anyway?.

On the other hand if they keep everything super easy and make the hardest part of a raid getting 24 people to show up IMO EQ2 looses everything that made it great and unique?.

Instead EQ2 just becomes the same as all the other MMORPGS out there?. Is that really what we all want?.

Often people say as in one of the posts above "thats just how things are now". Change can only happen if enough of us petition the devs and tell them what we want in places such as this.

I have tried lots of others, TERA, Rift, Aion, LOTRO, ESO and so on. I have stuck with EQ2 because none of them come close to what EQ2 has had to offer in the "end game". This is now something that is vanishing bit by bit in EQ2 and I think it is a real shame. If people want "just another MMO" there are tons out there. Maybe I am alone but I do not want EQ2 to just be like every other game.......

TERA is probably one of the best examples. You can take 5 random classes to the hardest heroic instance (e.g 5 wizards) and finish it in a pickup group with no trouble at all. Is this what we want for EQ2?.

If that is what the majority want then so be it. I do not get that impression from anyone I talk to.

Finally,
@Gaius - Increasing numbers would be great. It is worth noting that on the EU server this is very hard. I imagine it is not anywhere near as difficult for US servers?.

We have a single server which is a merged / mix of UK, French, German & Russian servers and still with low population. Then add on top the language barrier and its not to hard to imagine how our server is on the edge of collapse (at least for English speaking guilds),

One of my best friends is in a guild that have been 3 people short of having enough resolve buffs to progress in Zek. It has taken them months and only in the last week have they been able to start attempting these encounters.

Something I have noticed with resolve is that the very idea of it has had a huge negative impact on morale on our server.
That is a fact and I could list a whole bunch of names to back that up (though I am not sure how happy they would be with me posting that here).

It is almost like a big constant reminder to everyone saying "if you don't have 24 people tough luck".

If you took away resolve, even if there wasn't a snowballs chance in hell of doing harder content with under 22 people it would most likely still be a big morale boost for people on Thurgadin. This is something we really need on our server.

So wheres the harm in removing it and just making the encounters hard like the old days?

I do ofc concede the fact that this may just be a problem for the English speaking guilds on Thurgadin.
Old 10-20-2016, 04:41 PM   #26
Anaogi

So if folks can't make it, no raids for us?

That's going to put a lot of folks out of raiding that used to be able to get through with determination, skill, and more than a bit of insanity.

Just another flaming hoop.
Old 10-20-2016, 06:01 PM   #27
Trabu

I think Pita may be on to something here, if you extrapolate the possible resolve numbers on gear by taking the min total resolve for the next tier you can get an idea that t2 = 17, t3=18 and I base that on (590 - 240)/21 = 16.67 and (620-240)/21 = 18.09 based on those numbers if you were to grind t2 for all slots and have 18 players giving you 200 resolve you could squeak into t3 with about 557 resolve now you are going to be taking about 30% more damage but you are doing it short handed so that is not a bad penalty. If your 18 person raid is skilled and tight you could get into t3 and kill some mobs. It will be a grind fest but I could see it happening.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:43 AM   #28
Ashandra

But why further disadvantage short handed with resolve , I mean your already well down on people this effects the smaller guilds surely the devs know that smaller guilds are the starting point for recruits to the major raiding guilds it's good to have them still playing/raiding as every now and again a top guild due too internal issues breaks up so you can't just want to have a few super guilds in eq2 .
Old 10-23-2016, 05:10 PM   #29
Anatha

My guild on live rarely has a full 3 groups yet we are a determined bunch. We have taken down the 1st boss in Zek and are currently working on the 2nd and 3rd bosses. Those enraged war boars are a bit tough! Wink We can now farm Stygian and are working to get farther in Kralet past the 3 bosses. Of course, the X2 is not easy for us but when it first came out, it was a nightmare!

With the new expansion, we will continue with our strategy of gearing up and working on bringing down one raid boss at a time. We are NOT a hardcore raiding guild, be we are progressing.
Old 10-23-2016, 05:29 PM   #30
Anatha

I have a question about the resolve that is on the new gear from quests and solo/adv solo instances. I have ToT/Zek raid gear and fabled gear plus 5 ethereal pieces (3 jewelry and the reset and fervor runes). In beta I have my resolve at 132 I believe. I have a few pieces from quests, etc but if I switch out my slightly lower resolve pieces with the new gear, I lose a ton of pot! So I have been hesitant to do this. I know that the devs said resolve is only considered in heroics/raids but it seems that it is being taken into effect in the sig questline as well unless certain mobs are just scaled incorrectly, which I know some of them are/were and have been adjusted. I am currently on the last part of the sig questline and one of the single mobs that I have to take down before meeting with the Goddess is sitting at 160 resolve (I am a ranger and can use detect weakness). I have not yet taken him down because my resolve is only 132. Yes his HP might be out of balance but if it is not, even with switching out gear, I will not reach 160. Should I switch out all pieces I can with the new gear even though my pot drops from 8500+ to probably well below 8000?