EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-30-2012, 08:28 PM   #1
Onurissa
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Order of Marr

Lord

So i was thinking how nice it would be to be able to choose the race and look of a merc when you hire it. Not all of us want the same looking merc, and some of us just plain dont like the races of some but prefer others. Now before anyone says how much programming it would be, could they now just do how they did in Guild Halls where you right click and choose race? That would at least be acceptable for the mercs, then we could at least choose race, even if we cant choose HOW they look. Thanks for any thoughts and feedback. SMILEY

Onurissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:35 PM   #2
SteelPiston

Loremaster

No!!! Then there'd be loads of rodent mercs running around. We already have a problem cleaning up all the little black pellets on the guild hall floor.

Old 08-31-2012, 05:24 AM   #3
Rainmare
Server: Oasis
Guild: Pillage

Loremaster

the whole point of the different merc races is becuase of where they are from.

example being, the Sarnak mercs from gorowyn. the coldain one from new halas..the dark elves from neriak.

remember that this is still an MMORPG.

the evil mercs, so to speak, are races that are, in general, evil.

and if your a goodie that hires one and then goes to the home city, they are in out of the way places. they aren't advertising thier services out in the open. and vice versa.

so they picked 'evil' races to represent the evil classes...or at the least neutral ones. and they have thier own names, and thier own reasons for choosing a mercenary life.

like Stamper. he's an Inq of Bertox. his reason for being a merc is to 1) spread the gospel of Bert and 2) learn about new forms of pestilance and disease. and what better race to represent that then a Ratonga, who in Freeport ae already Bert worshippers. even in the areas in the sewers you find them in Qeynos..they are bloodsabers. ie, bert worshippers.

I think the various races of the mercs adds to thier flavor.

frankly I wish the three 'robomercs' from skyshrine had different looks too. so I coudl tell them apart, and know who has the brig, who has the monk, and who has the inq mercs.

Rainmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:57 AM   #4
Cloudrat

Tester

SteelPiston wrote:

No!!! Then there'd be loads of rodent mercs running around. We already have a problem cleaning up all the little black pellets on the guild hall floor.

Better tiny pellets, than huge steaming piles! 

Also, I would prefer not to have to have a huge race running around with me getting in the way, just because that was the class I wanted as a merc.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:28 AM   #5
darwich

Loremaster

exactly who wants a freaking sarnak for a zerker really!!?!?!
darwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:53 AM   #6
Ragnaphore

Loremaster

darwich wrote:

exactly who wants a freaking sarnak for a zerker really!!?!?!

A better question would be "exactly who wants a zerker merc really!!?!?!" SMILEY

Ragnaphore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:36 PM   #7
Netviper

Defender

[email protected] wrote:

the whole point of the different merc races is becuase of where they are from.

example being, the Sarnak mercs from gorowyn. the coldain one from new halas..the dark elves from neriak.

remember that this is still an MMORPG.

the evil mercs, so to speak, are races that are, in general, evil.

and if your a goodie that hires one and then goes to the home city, they are in out of the way places. they aren't advertising thier services out in the open. and vice versa.

so they picked 'evil' races to represent the evil classes...or at the least neutral ones. and they have thier own names, and thier own reasons for choosing a mercenary life.

like Stamper. he's an Inq of Bertox. his reason for being a merc is to 1) spread the gospel of Bert and 2) learn about new forms of pestilance and disease. and what better race to represent that then a Ratonga, who in Freeport ae already Bert worshippers. even in the areas in the sewers you find them in Qeynos..they are bloodsabers. ie, bert worshippers.

I think the various races of the mercs adds to thier flavor.

frankly I wish the three 'robomercs' from skyshrine had different looks too. so I coudl tell them apart, and know who has the brig, who has the monk, and who has the inq mercs.

Using your logic then players should not be able to betray or use the race change potions because the race is good or evil. SOE already ruined the whole "good vrs. evil" aspect of the game years ago. I see no reason why we should not be able to pick what race our merc will be, we do pay them afterall.

I agree with the OP, let us choose what race we can have for each mercenary class type that we want.

Netviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:44 PM   #8
Deago

Loremaster

Merc race change potions on sc along with elite mercs (sk elite please will pay 5000sc.)  SMILEY SMILEY SMILEY  j/k

Old 09-01-2012, 06:15 AM   #9
Rainmare
Server: Oasis
Guild: Pillage

Loremaster

and you know what, before the 'I want to switch classes on the fly' crowd jumped in, you couldn't betray after a certain point. and betrayal was a LOOOOOONG process, not some twenty minute flip back and forth.

when it was first out I think it was you didn't get to betray once you passed like level 20.

you had to die with an unrecoverable body/spirit shard (which meantyou were in a 'weakened' state for a good period of time. think rez sickness to the tenth power) you had to do a lopng quest series, including killing something like 5000 orcs/gnolls, and there was no 'Haven' so staying exile was not an option and being exile sucked bigtime. so while betraying, there was no house, no call, no bank, pretty much no merchants outside the 'general goods' you see in the overland.

and guess what, you saw very few betrayals. people picked a race and class from the get go that they wanted...or they rerolled most times.

So they kept some flavor to the mercs. don't like it, don't use them. I've used all the tank mercs. none of them perform any better then any other. the dpsers are mostly all jokes. (non elites)  they die way to easy and don't do NEAR enough damage to make them worth the money, and the healers are all equal except the inq cures faster. (non elites)

they made the mercs bland as hell save a few little class spells. so giving them a racial flavor and a specific look/name is a plus in my book.

Rainmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 10:17 PM   #10
Netviper

Defender

That was then. This is now.

I betrayed plenty of times back when the game launched and I remember well how much of a pain in the butt that it was. How easy or difficult betraying is now or once was has no relevance to the OP's request.

Like I pointed out they already ruined any "good vrs evil" flavor that the game had many, many years ago and more so with the addition of race change potions. You can even hire the mercs from the opposing factions if you want as long as you can hail them. Just drop a rally banner in Neriak and presto.. a goodie paladin could hire a evil shadowknight if they wanted.

The reason that I like the OP's idea is I think it would be nice for example if I wanted to hire a Dirge merc for my Shadowknight, who is an Iksar, and then be able to change the Dirge to an Iksar. For now I use the Assassin merc with my Shadowknight because it is an Iksar.

To me that adds "flavor" and would allow me to "play my way" as SOE is always saying.

Netviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:05 PM   #11
Britefire

Loremaster

Customizeable mercs would be amazing!  It is something that would be fine on SC, as it doesn't really impact gameplay other than fluff.  I would prefer it to be doab;le through a long quest, but I have a feeling if this is added it would be SC.

I am suprised this wasn't included near launch of mercs, as it would be an amazing addition that would allow for greater character variety, in my opinion.

Also, yay for thousands of ratonga mercs! Ratonga shall rule all of Norrath!

Britefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:05 PM   #12
Ceebia

Lord

Eh I would simply go for gender change of a merc then race.   Don't get me wrong but I would like to have more options for the mercs then just one gender one race in the end.

Ceebia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:34 PM   #13
Deago

Loremaster

Ontopic:  I would like to change my sk merc to a huge ogre so when I mass pull 50+ mobs I can see where merc is   

Offtopic:  Plane Shift Mercenary.......think about a potion that boosts all the merc stats for x amount of time...har har

Old 09-04-2012, 07:50 PM   #14
Juravael

Loremaster

Ceebia wrote:

Eh I would simply go for gender change of a merc then race.   Don't get me wrong but I would like to have more options for the mercs then just one gender one race in the end.

Great idea! Perhaps they could be coded similarly to guild hall amenity npc's where with a right click we could set race and gender.

Juravael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:40 AM   #15
Maisland

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

and you know what, before the 'I want to switch classes on the fly' crowd jumped in, you couldn't betray after a certain point. and betrayal was a LOOOOOONG process, not some twenty minute flip back and forth.

when it was first out I think it was you didn't get to betray once you passed like level 20.

you had to die with an unrecoverable body/spirit shard (which meantyou were in a 'weakened' state for a good period of time. think rez sickness to the tenth power) you had to do a lopng quest series, including killing something like 5000 orcs/gnolls, and there was no 'Haven' so staying exile was not an option and being exile sucked bigtime. so while betraying, there was no house, no call, no bank, pretty much no merchants outside the 'general goods' you see in the overland.

and guess what, you saw very few betrayals. people picked a race and class from the get go that they wanted...or they rerolled most times.

I remember... being weighed down by 4,000+ copper (because coin did not automatically "exchange" to the highest level of currency and weighed a ton!), and having to ask a kind stranger to pass the money to an alt for me.  You gained no xp from the time you started until you completed the quests.

You could not start until you were level 10... and I am pretty sure you had to complete it by level 15... though I may have misunderstood and it only needed to be done before level 20.  All of my characters who did it completed the quests by 15 anyway.

You are wrong about one thing... each time I did the betrayal quests (which I did for 3 different characters), there was always at least 2 or 3 others working on them at the same time... this made killing the named mobs a little easier because we could group for them.

The hardest part if you were betraying evil to good was traversing Nek Forest (I never betrayed in the other direction as my guild is based in Qeynos).  There were no griffon towers then, nor could you bypass it by taking a bell.  If you were accompanied by a scout who had it, Escape just took you back to the gate to the Commonlands...  and the zone was a lot more dangerous than it is now.

It WAS a one way ticket though.  You could not flip back and forth between good and evil at a whim.

Edit:  On topic... I support race/gender changing for the mercs.  More choices = good in my book... and as for the merc forces being over run by Ratonga, isn't Stamper already the "best" merc so he gets hired more often than the others?

Maisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:46 AM   #16
Gninja

The Dev Gnome

While mercenaries are in it for the money there are limits on what they will do for money. Changing their race or gender is over that line :p

Gninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:03 PM   #17
Grumble69

Loremaster

Sure for 25gp, they won't cross the line.  But hey--for 3pp, I'm expecting them to at least [   OMG, CENSORED!   ].

Grumble69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:04 PM   #18
Onurissa
Guild: Order of Marr

Lord

Gninja wrote:

While mercenaries are in it for the money there are limits on what they will do for money. Changing their race or gender is over that line :p

I have the upmost respect for you Gninja, but that response was really lacking and kind of pointless. If you wanted to say NO, just say no. I never asked to pay the MERCS money to change their races. I asked if when we attain a merc if we could choose the race upon selection, not at a later date when we already "own" it. I just thought it would be nice to see a bit more variety instead of a world full of Little Ratonga mercs. Would be nice if people could change it to match the race they are playing. But thanks for considering it anyways, though i dont really feel it was considered much.

Onurissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:29 PM   #19
Wirewhisker
Guild: Collateral Damage

Loremaster

I'd like to see more than just customizable merc looks, I'd like to see an option to a la carte merc skills...at an additional initial and maintanence cost, of course.

Dirge merc with Battle Cry, for more plat initial layout + more plat/30 minutes? Why yes, I think I shall!

Same with things like the myth cure for Stamper, or Combat Mastery, or Stampede, or Soulclaim, etc etc etc...

Being as many people with wealth tend to be profligate spenders, it would help to remove cash from the game...and there's always those people that just need to drive a Cadillac around.

We've already crossed the point of no return with mercs. They're here to stay.

In for a penny, in for a pound, I say. Bring on the merc customization!

Wirewhisker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:19 PM   #20
Freejazzlive

Loremaster

Gninja wrote:

That's fine, but what about the possibility of putting in more mercenaries of different races?

Golgi Apparati, Swashbuckler of Freeport

Aheedi Adaephon, Warlock of Freeport
Freejazzlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:51 PM   #21
Gninja

The Dev Gnome

Freejazzlive wrote:

Gninja wrote:

That's fine, but what about the possibility of putting in more mercenaries of different races?

Sorry folks, that was my lame attempt at being funny SMILEY We don't currently have plans to make mercs more customizable. However there are plans to add more mercs of various class/race combinations as well as new rare mercs on the horizon. If there are specific race/class combinations you would like to see I am open to suggestions!

Gninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:08 PM   #22
Finora

Tester

I actually sent some feedback on this recently.

My suggestion was illusion items on SC.

I think any illusion spell that works on other players will work on Mercs (I know my warlock fun spells do, I turn my paladin into a toad or rat all the time) so it stands to reason that an illusion other item on SC would work the same.

You just put up some random fun player illusion items, races that are currently available for mercs (there is a nice variety currently imo) & add more later as the mood strikes.

(and add some in for poor illusionists too, they've been shafted in the illusion dept in this game since launch SMILEY )

Finora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:14 PM   #23
Freejazzlive

Loremaster

Gninja wrote:

If there are specific race/class combinations you would like to see I am open to suggestions!

If there isn't already a Kerran Templar, I'd like one!

Golgi Apparati, Swashbuckler of Freeport

Aheedi Adaephon, Warlock of Freeport
Freejazzlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:43 PM   #24
Seidhkona

Loremaster

My two copper: I'd like to be able to select the race of the mercenary, myself. I'd definitely select a Halasian for the pally.  I don't mind Stamper Jeralf being a Ratonga, or the wizard being some flavor of elf, but my Halsian mystic gets nervous trying to hide behind a tank that's smaller than she is!

Old 09-06-2012, 03:53 PM   #25
Gilasil

Loremaster

Some sort of Iksar healer type would be nice.

Come to think of it, I can't think of any Iksar mercs at all.

For all us lizard lovers SMILEY

Gilasil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:57 PM   #26
Wirewhisker

Loremaster

Gninja wrote:

Freejazzlive wrote:

Gninja wrote:

Sorry folks, that was my lame attempt at being funny We don't currently have plans to make mercs more customizable. However there are plans to add more mercs of various class/race combinations as well as new rare mercs on the horizon. If there are specific race/class combinations you would like to see I am open to suggestions!

Ratonga bruiser.

Also, gnome/fae/arasai bruiser and/or monk.

Troll wizard.

High Elf Assassin.

Old 09-06-2012, 03:57 PM   #27
Wirewhisker

Loremaster

Gilasil wrote:

For all us lizard lovers

The assassin is an Iksar.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:10 PM   #28
Gilasil

Loremaster

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

Gilasil wrote:

For all us lizard lovers

Thanks.  I missed that.

Of course, probably the last thing my beastlord needs to bring along is an assassin, but that's good to know.

Gilasil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:34 PM   #29
Wirewhisker

Loremaster

Gilasil wrote:

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

Gilasil wrote:

For all us lizard lovers

Thanks.  I missed that.

Of course, probably the last thing my beastlord needs to bring along is an assassin, but that's good to know.

From my experience, the Assassin is a mean little bugger, even compared to other scout mercs.

Old 09-06-2012, 06:52 PM   #30
Leawyn

Loremaster

Gninja wrote:

If there are specific race/class combinations you would like to see I am open to suggestions!

Halflings!!!!!! =)

Maelani | Maelya | Maerie | Maehymn | Maewyn | Maekita | Maelynne
Leawyn is offline   Reply With Quote