EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-05-2011, 01:57 AM   #1
tivox

Lord

When will EQ2 be offline for AOD and Free to play updates? Date and Time?

How long will it take?

tivox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:46 AM   #2
yohann koldheart

Loremaster

with everythings thats going on that day i wouldnt plan on beiang able to play for the entire day pretty much.

yohann koldheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:03 AM   #3
CliveEvenstar

Loremaster

I agree, I would give it a 7 - 14 hour downtime, perhaps starting at roughly 7-9am PST.

CliveEvenstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:12 AM   #4
Brigh

Loremaster

More like 12 am or 3 am pacific.

-Stephen Colbert

CoD3 double XP Rank Up promotion lesson for kids
Brigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:17 AM   #5
Rayfer1

Loremaster

Usually starts at 12am PST, my guess would be a 4 hour downtime, servers up for an hour or two, followed by an hour downtime, it has been a long time since the servers as a whole have been down for even half a day.  Usually they have just had to shut down some zones.  Freeport might be up and down for the day (City no server)

Rayfer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:19 AM   #6
Cocytus

Loremaster

I'd expect a short downtime considering how much content is going into the game :p

Cocytus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:27 AM   #7
Thunderthyze

Loremaster

Cocytus wrote:

I'd expect a short downtime considering how much content is going into the game :p

Yes, one would "expect", however...

Thunderthyze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 05:01 AM   #8
Dreyco

Archive of Ik

I'd think that content is easier to do downtime for than a metric butt-ton of coding changes.

... Which Age of Discovery is.

So... i'm expecting a hefty deal of downtime just to make sure that things work.

Grand Historian of The Archive of Ik
Dreyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 06:00 AM   #9
Thunderthyze

Loremaster

Dreyco wrote:

I'd think that content is easier to do downtime for than a metric butt-ton of coding changes.

So... i'm expecting a hefty deal of downtime just to make sure that things work.

But this will have been fully tested. All beta feedback read and acted upon where required. SOE will already know this will work out of the box so why would there be any difference in downtime? Unless...

Thunderthyze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 06:04 AM   #10
Golbezz

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

But this will have been fully tested. All beta feedback read and acted upon where required. SOE will already know this will work out of the box so why would there be any difference in downtime? Unless...

So this of course means a rather short downtime for the initial update, followed by a longer downtime the following day to fix all the things that didn't work from the first update...

Golbezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 06:24 AM   #11
Dreyco

Archive of Ik

[email protected] wrote:

Dreyco wrote:

When you're patching that many moving parts from one spot over to another?  Something's liable to happen.  But we'll see.  That's not pessimism.  Just realism.  It happens when dealing with computer code this complex.

Grand Historian of The Archive of Ik
Dreyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 06:37 AM   #12
Elomort

Loremaster

I would count on a long downtime, maybe up at 1pm PST after going down at 12am PST but even then a little iffy for some people.

There are a lot of behind the scene changes happening, especially in terms of accounts. I expect there will be quite a few people who find that due to account errors they may not be able to access their toons despite having a valid subscription. I wouldn't be too surprised to see login server issues.

So, as far as the game goes, not a big deal, but as far as the underlying conversion to F2P operation - it's a huge change - especially when you start talking about people with toons on both the old EQ2 and EQ2X.

Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.
Elomort is offline   Reply With Quote