EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Kunark Ascending Beta > General Beta Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-28-2016, 11:42 PM   #1
Kioske

I'd imagine that they are at their limits with combating the lag as they are hindered by the 32-bit interface. Until they upgrade to a 64-bit interface, I don't think there is much more they can do to fix the lag other than completely changing the way combat is recorded or DOTs/Swarms/Excessive Procs are completely removed.
Old 10-29-2016, 01:05 AM   #2
Neiloch

Fairly certain lag has to do with server resources being allocated for an instance and the overall strain being put on the server hardware. Otherwise some raid setups would experience lag 100% of the time and this isn't the case. How big the numbers are isn't producing lag, its how many 'events' are occurring during a fight. Nor is it a client side problem.

I saw the class changes were posted recently in the beta update notes. While they are generally nice improvements I don't see anything that would help with lag specifically.
Neiloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 08:17 AM   #3
Neiloch

Is there anything specific being done to help with the raid lag that is produced from high amounts of DoTs and swarms? Or any other changes that might result in a fringe benefit of less lag/strain on the server?

I imagine no one has seen any lag problems on beta raids since they aren't being ran often and the beta server is historically much more stable, smooth. This lag is still seen on live, however.

I was waiting to see if anything class related was being done before I asked this but its been quite a while.
Old 10-29-2016, 11:20 PM   #4
Taiyla

The lag on Beta is just as bad if not worse. We've run the open raid zone and tested a few names in other raid zones and the lag was horrendous.
Taiyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 12:07 AM   #5
Kander

Developer

The beta server is a rickety thing that barely stays up. It is not historically more stable. This is false.

We have made some back end changes to spells, and a few other things that we are hopeful will help with raid lag. The ascension classes should help as well.

We'll never know until it all goes live and everyone is playing. That said, it is on our mind.
Kander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 05:50 AM   #6
Neiloch

Must just be this xpac then because I remember testing raids in every previous xpac and it was extremely smooth. I wasn't talking about up time, of course. Voice chat would just be 'not having lag is awesome' 'can we just move to the beta server?' 'I wish live was this lag free' etc etc.

I'm glad its being worked on, I heard a rumor that maybe swarms were gonna be worked on so they are less practical 'entities' but who knows.
Old 10-30-2016, 08:17 AM   #7
kluxor

reducing the amount of pets in a swarm would be a great start.

12 seconds until pull
everyone clicks their rising tide charms
mob pulled
all the summoners cast their swarms
can't click anything
summoners win
Old 10-30-2016, 03:01 PM   #8
Rondo9

Is this the reason why we feel like we are playing on x486 computers watching the cast bar slowly move along the screen when casting ascension spells?
Old 10-30-2016, 07:20 PM   #9
Neiloch

That's the only reason I can think of where ascension classes would help. Slowing down combat to a boring crawl with the longer cast times, at least periodically. Kind of a shame since the speed of EQ2's combat (when there isn't lag) is easily one of its best features imo. If I want longer cast times and/or GCD I can play one of the other more popular MMO's. Its even faster than a lot of those supposed 'action' MMO's that just have fewer abilities and make you aim to target things.
Old 10-30-2016, 11:11 PM   #10
Ashandra

In our defense we have been asking for a change to the way swarms go out ie one suggestion was to still have the graphic but only 1 pet that's been modified goes out not a 'swarm' of the little lag making suckers. Another suggestion was to change them so they are not counted the way a player is meaning they don't take damage ect.