EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Support Forums > Tech Area > General Tech Support Questions
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-06-2011, 03:48 PM   #1
Onorem

Loremaster

Unable to write to C:/ProgramData/Sony Online Entertainment/Installed Games/EverQuest II/Miles/AudioCapture.flt - http://eq2.patch.station.sony.com/p...5f413afc434b74. The file may be in use or you may lack the necessary permissions to install.

Sorry if that ends up huge...might be nice to have a preview button on the forum at some point, but it was tiny in the window until I upped the font size to stupid levels after copy/paste.

Any ideas? Firewalls and antivirus turned off just in case....

Old 12-06-2011, 03:49 PM   #2
TSR-JoshuaM

Customer Service

Onorem wrote:

Unable to write to C:/ProgramData/Soney Online Entertainment/Installed Games/EverQuest II/Miles/AudioCapture.flt - http://eq2.patch.station.sony.com/p...5f413afc434b74. The file may be in use or you may lack the necessary permissions to install.

Sorry if that ends up huge...might be nice to have a preview button on the forum at some point, but it was tiny in the window until I upped the font size to stupid levels after copy/paste.

Right-click the game icon and selet Run as Admin and try to patch again.  Otherwise, delete that audiocapture.flt so it gets re-downloaded.

Technical Support Representative

Sony Online Entertainment

How to Contact Support:

https://help.station.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/28939

How to Create a DXDIAG/MSINFO

https://help.station.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/28973
TSR-JoshuaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 04:07 PM   #3
Onorem

Loremaster

TSR-JoshuaM wrote:

Onorem wrote:

Unable to write to C:/ProgramData/Soney Online Entertainment/Installed Games/EverQuest II/Miles/AudioCapture.flt - http://eq2.patch.station.sony.com/p...5f413afc434b74. The file may be in use or you may lack the necessary permissions to install.

Right-click the game icon and selet Run as Admin and try to patch again.  Otherwise, delete that audiocapture.flt so it gets re-downloaded.

I thought I had run as admin the last couple times, but something is clearly different this time. At 172 out of 14k MB after 10 minutes now for some reason. Oh well.

Old 12-06-2011, 04:55 PM   #4
Darkshadows
Server: Nektulos
Guild: Legion

Loremaster

my husband had his game in the programdata folder also, and he did get the same error as you.  i had him move the whole game to his public folder and then download the patcher, be sure to get the full version, NOT the streamed as you probably did the streaming one first eh? if you did, just go back to the links and click on full version, when rdy click on NEW INSTALL, then point it at the new directory in your public folder, which can be found usually under C:/user/public, and be sure to hit okay when it tells you it will change your patcher.

hope this helps

Darkshadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 05:09 PM   #5
Onorem

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

my husband had his game in the programdata folder also, and he did get the same error as you.  i had him move the whole game to his public folder and then download the patcher, be sure to get the full version, NOT the streamed as you probably did the streaming one first eh? if you did, just go back to the links and click on full version, when rdy click on NEW INSTALL, then point it at the new directory in your public folder, which can be found usually under C:/user/public, and be sure to hit okay when it tells you it will change your patcher.

hope this helps

I appreciate the extra info and will look into it if this fails again. Still very slow. At 2600 of 14k now.

I definitely did not run the steaming streaming version the first time. I can't stand streaming. SMILEY Thanks again. I'll probably wait a few hours and see if changing folders helps.

Old 12-06-2011, 05:15 PM   #6
TSR-JoshuaM

Customer Service

Thanks for the additional info and keep us updated!

How to Contact Support:

Old 12-06-2011, 05:16 PM   #7
Darkshadows
Server: Nektulos
Guild: Legion

Loremaster

hah, i was ditz, lol you see i did download that silly streaming one lol i had absolutely NO idea which one to do, so just chose the first one lol...thanks to certain person, i got set on the right path lol, i should not have assumed you downloaded the stream SMILEY bad bad me...

Darkshadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 05:47 PM   #8
Onorem

Loremaster

Just over 4000 now. It's clearly installing a new version instead of going into the same folder. Station Launcher shows that it's been modified today, but it never prompted me with an option. I had to use the sticky at the top of the page to try to start a download of the new launcher.

Old 12-06-2011, 05:49 PM   #9
Cloudrat

Tester

Here's the deal.. i got the new launcher on main computer doing my usual log in and it put a new icon on my desktop and goes to test nicely. 

On my second computer instead of the new launcher I got some wierd little black and white stop watch looking thing. So... I tried launching the streaming Extended  I had and it got me the new launcher, but it did not put an icon on my desktop and still  uses the old extended icon to start.  It tries to install a new test folder and I see no way to change where it points for the test server.

So is there some way to get the right launcher for my second computer?

Old 12-06-2011, 05:50 PM   #10
TSR-JoshuaM

Customer Service

Onorem wrote:

Just over 4000 now. It's clearly installing a new version instead of going into the same folder. Station Launcher shows that it's been modified today, but it never prompted me with an option. I had to use the sticky at the top of the page to try to start a download of the new launcher.

Station Launcher was not set to automatically update so people can still use the Friends Network.

The new LP's install to the userspublic folder so right-click the icon it created and click Open File Location.  If it leads you to userspublic then it is in fact installing to a separate folder.

How to Contact Support:

Old 12-06-2011, 06:14 PM   #11
Onorem

Loremaster

TSR-JoshuaM wrote:

Onorem wrote:

Station Launcher was not set to automatically update so people can still use the Friends Network.

The new LP's install to the userspublic folder so right-click the icon it created and click Open File Location.  If it leads you to userspublic then it is in fact installing to a separate folder.

Thanks again all for the input. After seeing SJs letter, I really don't care much anymore. I'll figure out how to get logged in sometime in the next few days just so I can give away my plat...and no, you can't have it.

Old 12-06-2011, 06:34 PM   #12
Te'ana

Tester

Cloudrat wrote:

Here's the deal.. i got the new launcher on main computer doing my usual log in and it put a new icon on my desktop and goes to test nicely. 

On my second computer instead of the new launcher I got some wierd little black and white stop watch looking thing. So... I tried launching the streaming Extended  I had and it got me the new launcher, but it did not put an icon on my desktop and still  uses the old extended icon to start.  It tries to install a new test folder and I see no way to change where it points for the test server.

So is there some way to get the right launcher for my second computer?

My husband and I get this too. Its the old,old,old Station Pass Launcher. It goes exactly nowhere.

Te'ana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 06:34 PM   #13
Cloudrat

Tester

Ok I am good to go on second puter after using the full assets link provided and making sure to point it to my installed game instead of users etc etc.

I don't understand why you have another link for test server  though since the first full asset one will go there.

Old 12-06-2011, 06:35 PM   #14
TSR-JoshuaM

Customer Service

We have a few reports about that old patcher working its way in and are not entirely sure how thats happening.  Its not included in LP3 or LP4 so it must be remnants of a previous installation.  The files that would launch that patcher do not exist in the LP4 file repositories.

How to Contact Support:

Old 12-06-2011, 06:56 PM   #15
Thunderthyze

Loremaster

Checking game installation...Found 318 file(s) to update.Replacing paks/Char_ACC1.vpkReplacing paks/Char_A1.vpkReplacing paks/Char_B1.vpkReplacing paks/Char_ACC2.vpk

....and.....HANG!!

Seemed to d/l the main patch then decided it needed another 2gb. Running as admin but keeps hanging at this point

Thunderthyze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 07:01 PM   #16
TSR-JoshuaM

Customer Service

Char_ACC2.vpk is about 77.6mb's which isnt that big.  Try deleting it and letting it start that file over.

How to Contact Support:

Old 12-06-2011, 07:06 PM   #17
Thunderthyze

Loremaster

Checking game installation...Found 318 file(s) to update.Replacing paks/Char_A1.vpkReplacing paks/Char_ACC2.vpkReplacing paks/Char_ACC1.vpkReplacing paks/Char_B2.vpk

....and ....HANG.....

Different file....getting bored now.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:21 PM   #18
Thunderthyze

Loremaster

Tried deleting all 4 files. Now getting the following:

Checking game installation...Found 318 file(s) to update.Creating paks/Char_A1.vpkCreating paks/Char_ACC2.vpkCreating paks/Char_B1.vpkCreating paks/Char_ACC1.vpk

Never had this problem with the old Station Launcher (which I have physically uninstalled in case it was conflicting)

Old 12-06-2011, 07:23 PM   #19
Thunderthyze

Loremaster

I would also say however that even though the progress bar isn't moving and the file listing isn't changing there seems to be a LOT of activity hitting my bandwidth that stops when I close the patcher.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:28 PM   #20
Therendil

Loremaster

TSR-JoshuaM wrote:

We have a few reports about that old patcher working its way in and are not entirely sure how thats happening.  Its not included in LP3 or LP4 so it must be remnants of a previous installation.  The files that would launch that patcher do not exist in the LP4 file repositories.

I have pretty much decided that I am going to do clean reinstalls of EQ2 on both my systems, and this is the reason why. It's just impossible for an upgrade process to account for every possible case of 'bit rot' in old installations. No matter how hard you try, weird things can happen. Reinstalling is a pain, but it hurts alot less than trying to make an old unstable installation work.

-= Therendil =-

Therendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 07:58 PM   #21
SirDinadan

Loremaster

I am absolutely, positively, thoroughly certain that the 'ancient' launcher is being downloaded, and is not a remnant of a previous 'installation'.  I did a clean install on a new PC, and can see the executable that generates the stopwatch launcher selected and downloaded as part of the initial patch.

SirDinadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:02 PM   #22
DanKinney

LaunchPad

[email protected] wrote:

I would also say however that even though the progress bar isn't moving and the file listing isn't changing there seems to be a LOT of activity hitting my bandwidth that stops when I close the patcher.

It is probably doing more work than it appears then.  The "patch" for those files may be complex. 

-dan

DanKinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:04 PM   #23
DanKinney

LaunchPad

[email protected] Bazaar wrote:

I am absolutely, positively, thoroughly certain that the 'ancient' launcher is being downloaded, and is not a remnant of a previous 'installation'.  I did a clean install on a new PC, and can see the executable that generates the stopwatch launcher selected and downloaded as part of the initial patch.

Are you doing a clean install of the latest LaunchPad?  If you are re-installing the old LaunchPad, you could be stuck in the upgrade cycle.  LP1 will update to LP4.  Afterwards, you can run the app by running LP1 again (which will restart LP4) or you could run LP4 directly and cut out the middleman.

-dan

Old 12-06-2011, 08:04 PM   #24
Thunderthyze

Loremaster

[email protected] Bazaar wrote:

That would be awesomly inept if it were true. On a par with the boot.ini debacle CCP had a couple of years ago.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:05 PM   #25
DanKinney

LaunchPad

Therendil wrote:

TSR-JoshuaM wrote:

I have pretty much decided that I am going to do clean reinstalls of EQ2 on both my systems, and this is the reason why. It's just impossible for an upgrade process to account for every possible case of 'bit rot' in old installations. No matter how hard you try, weird things can happen. Reinstalling is a pain, but it hurts alot less than trying to make an old unstable installation work.

-= Therendil =-

If you install into the same directory as before (where all of the EQ2 assets are), this should be relatively painless.

LP1 and LP2 installed into one directory and patched the game into another one.  Our newer LaunchPads live inside the same directory as the game assets to lower the number of moving parts.

-dan

Old 12-06-2011, 08:10 PM   #26
Thunderthyze

Loremaster

DanKinney wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

It is probably doing more work than it appears then.  The "patch" for those files may be complex. 

-dan

Would appear to be the case. Hope this isn't likely to happen every time there is a patch though.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:32 PM   #27
DanKinney

LaunchPad

[email protected] wrote:

Would appear to be the case. Hope this isn't likely to happen every time there is a patch though.

Unlikely, but it depends on how the assets are packed by the game team.

-dan

Old 12-06-2011, 09:20 PM   #28
Therendil

Loremaster

There does seem to be something of a disconnect between what the progress bar shows and the work being done. I have seen the progress bar stop while much network and disk activity happens, then jump suddenly to compensate. There may be an issue with updating the bar to reflect actual progress, although the final result seems correct.

-= Therendil =-

Old 12-06-2011, 09:25 PM   #29
DanKinney

LaunchPad

If you look at the progress bar, it is actually a dual bar.  The background part shows the progress of things being downloaded while the main (shiny round) part shows the progress of "installing".  For new files, this is just putting them into place.  For existing files, this is the application of a patch.

We have a very sophisticated binary patching system.  If the complexity of the patch is high, it could be seeking throughout the file on your disk.  If you have a medium to slow disk drive, this could take a while.  You should see what happens on a PS3 disk drive!

We have tried to make the progress be granular enought to always be moving, but it could get bogged down sometimes.

-dan

Old 12-06-2011, 09:33 PM   #30
Therendil

Loremaster

I'm still studying the new patch process to understand it. Pretty clear to me that patching is now a much more sophisticated process than before. I can see that it caclulates and applies delta patches far more than before. So more work creating the manifest, but less work downloading and applying changes. Overall, faster and smarter from what I can see.

I may also not be used to the new binary progress bar yet. That's another new feature to internalize.

-= Therendil =-