EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-01-2011, 02:32 AM   #61
millie

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

becuase they are changing the model of how they do expansions. they flat out said so.

'expansions' from here out are going to be paying your 40-60 dollars and getting the features right away, with the content being distributed in game updates. this gives them more time to do the content portion of things, and it means that all those high and mighty hard core people don't come screaming 3 months after an expansion about how they need more content and how bored they are with the game, with the only thing SoE can tell them is 'wait till the next expansion'

people have been wanting more meaningful content given through out the year, and you got what you asked for. just not the way you were expecting it.

the 40-60 for AoD is basically paying for Velious part 2, with the zones that are unaccessable right now with that huge Upheaval wall. your just not getting all the new zones/content/raids/heritages on Dec 6. your getting it spread out over the next year.

Yep they did and as all the posts on this topic about value for money show, they were dead wrong on the marketing psychology. 

Make the content free and you either cut the price of 'feature packs' by a significant proportion or you better make the features compelling.  This 'feature pack' is neither compelling nor significantly cheaper than DoV. Bad marketing, bad planning, bad managment all over.

millie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 02:37 AM   #62
SmokeJumper

DoD

[email protected] wrote:

[email protected] Bazaar wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Honestly it seems like they spent waaay too much time working on the DYOD.  It seems like they thought players would be most excited about that, when really most players would have wanted content to play.  Otherwise i can't think of an explanation of what they have been doing over the past 8 months since DoV came out.  Unless something amazing comes out soon, i have no idea.

The problem is SOE laid off/fired 60% of its developers, and now they are working with a skeleton crew. And sadly this is the best they could come up with!

Do you have a source to know that they laid off/fired 60% of their developers, or are you just pulling stuff out of your butt?

I don't know where it came from, but it ain't true. SMILEY

The EQII team is one of the largest at SOE and still going strong. We have many projects going simultaenously. The EverQuest franchise as a whole is the backbone of this company. We're not shirking it.

EverQuest Franchise (EQ, EQII, EQN)
SmokeJumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 02:45 AM   #63
Notask

Loremaster

When will the actual major content be released? I dont reconize this new expansion thats getting released Dec. 6 as an expansion.

Bumping up the AA's by 20 points and addinga new character for players to play around with and the new Freeport that was promised with the original DoV expansion does not count as an expansion. Thats just changing some coding... O wait! I get it! Adding the Beastlord and a dungeon creator...........Ahhhhhh yea thats it....I think..  

Notask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 03:02 AM   #64
Fazzamar

Loremaster

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

When will the actual major content be released? I dont reconize this new expansion thats getting released Dec. 6 as an expansion.

Bumping up the AA's by 20 points and addinga new character for players to play around with and the new Freeport that was promised with the original DoV expansion does not count as an expansion. Thats just changing some coding... O wait! I get it! Adding the Beastlord and a dungeon creator...........Ahhhhhh yea thats it....I think..  

Not trying to defend SOE's "expansion" cause I agree with the comments that it's awfuly light on content to be called an expansion, however thinking that adding the beastlord class to the game is minor code changing is naive.

Fazzamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 03:16 AM   #65
Brigh

Loremaster

CatamanderEQ2 wrote:

They have no future in the industry.  I predict the entire SOE lineup will be poorly run an badly designed f2p garbage within two years.

Bookmarked for future false prophet showing.

The fact that mods have to keep locking threads like this to keep them from becoming the whole conversation on these boards says enough by itself.

They lock them because children here can't follow the rules.

-Stephen Colbert

CoD3 double XP Rank Up promotion lesson for kids
Brigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 03:44 AM   #66
jamzez

Loremaster

Over a million hours of testing went into upcoming MMORPG Star Wars: The Old Republic last weekend, BioWare has revealed.

Tens of thousands of people played the game in an effort to ensure a smooth launch next month, BioWare co-founders Greg Zeschuk and Ray Muzyka told Eurogamer in an interview at BAFTA, London last night.

The mood at BioWare Austin, where the game is being developed, is "very measured" Zeschuk said.

"It's not panicky. I just came from Austin. It's very measured. It is coming soon. The game is largely where we want to be. It's not like we're trying to jam anything in in the last minute. We're trying to finish everything off to the level we're satisfied with.

"What's really important is it's stable and reliable and doesn't crash all of the time. If you put a whole bunch of stuff in right at the end it makes it less stable, so we're controlling the end. This is how we finish most games. What we do is, early on in development the pipe is really big. Anyone can put stuff into the game and then we narrow it and narrow it and narrow it. Now we're in this narrow pipe phase where stuff is still going in, but it's being carefully measured.

How many folk's you have testing AOD Smokejumper? There's your top reason why Everquest has such low sub number's no one  want's to buy something and have to wait for it to work correctly for three month's.

jamzez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 03:48 AM   #67
Blissa2362

Loremaster

SmokeJumper wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Honestly it seems like they spent waaay too much time working on the DYOD.  It seems like they thought players would be most excited about that, when really most players would have wanted content to play.  Otherwise i can't think of an explanation of what they have been doing over the past 8 months since DoV came out.  Unless something amazing comes out soon, i have no idea.

The problem is SOE laid off/fired 60% of its developers, and now they are working with a skeleton crew. And sadly this is the best they could come up with!

Do you have a source to know that they laid off/fired 60% of their developers, or are you just pulling stuff out of your butt?

I don't know where it came from, but it ain't true.

The EQII team is one of the largest at SOE and still going strong. We have many projects going simultaenously. The EverQuest franchise as a whole is the backbone of this company. We're not shirking it.

So your telling me this is all one of the largest teams could come up with? Boy I would hate to see team sizes! Smokejumper the fact is ever sense Kunark you guys have been putting out less and less quailty exp packs for EQ2. Kunark is twice the size of Velious and it sure didnt take you guys 3 years to finish it. What you are offering players in AOD is a GUI update for $40! And its not sitting well with players!

Blissa2362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 03:53 AM   #68
Delethen
Server: Mistmoore
Guild: Arch of Chaos

Loremaster

SmokeJumper wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

No offence, but you lot just aren't particularly competent then. 

Delethen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 03:55 AM   #69
Haciv

Loremaster

SmokeJumper wrote:

Yet AoD is the best you could come up with for an xpac this year?  At least with the perception of a skeleton crew, people would feel sorry for an undermanned attempt to come up with content.  Now knowing that there's a robust team behind the upcoming expansion, it comes across as a massive misallocation of human resources.

Old 12-01-2011, 04:06 AM   #70
Lader

Loremaster

not to whiteknight them, bc i dont plan on buying this adventure pack, but this is the 2nd expac this year. Id much prefer they waited until feb to release this with the other dov content theyre going to roll out and use the extra time to try to fix the glaring problems we have right now.

Old 12-01-2011, 04:27 AM   #71
Delethen
Server: Mistmoore
Guild: Arch of Chaos

Loremaster

Lader wrote:

not to whiteknight them, bc i dont plan on buying this adventure pack, but this is the 2nd expac this year. Id much prefer they waited until feb to release this with the other dov content theyre going to roll out and use the extra time to try to fix the glaring problems we have right now.

Well well, isn't this just the crux of the matter.  The aforementioned responsibilities that Smokeblower claims not to shirk primarily revolve about milking the EQ2 stone dry.  Fixing glaring issues, of which there are all too many, does not bring in cash and therefore they are ignored ostrich style. 

Going off on a tangent, but after watching that webcast they did the other day, i'm not sure they could have appeared any more hapless or unprofessional if their lives depended on it.

Delethen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:29 AM   #72
Notsovilepriest
Server: Nagafen
Guild: Ill Gotten Gain

Loremaster

Xpac Content: Fix our Itemization(Reforging) Build new dungeons for us(DYOD) New class Click random AA bubbles in trees since non left are useful Crafting things Solo the game(Mercs) There is nothing in this lot that warrants more than a $10-$15 Adventure pack fee AoD, Adventure Pack Content, Expansion Price, The SoE Way!- Feel free to use this for advertisements!
Old 12-01-2011, 05:43 AM   #73
Thunderthyze

Loremaster

20 AA ?

That makes it 320 AA ?

Ignoring the tradeskill tree (which the majority of players do) 320 is the total number of AA available. That means that at cap every player playing a particular class will have exactly the same abilities? Tie that up with the lack of imagination in itemisation and it means that pretty much every player will also have the same stats too.

Pretty much destroys the original idea that AA were a means to customise characters so that no two would be the same. Having gone so far down this path that SOE seems to have painted themselves into a corner it looks increasingly likely that at some point you may as well be able to buy a fully capped character off SC as there is no longer any skill in speccing your characters.

So much for the original premise at launch that EQ2 was going to be capable of handling experience levels up to around 200? I suppose the company feels it has to pander to the MTV generation's attitude of "I want it all and I want it now....without having to work for it". Well we've all seen how that model has created a really great world society today...

Thunderthyze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:45 AM   #74
Ilovecows
Guild: The Catalyst

Loremaster

SmokeJumper wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

If the eq2 team is so large, I'm a little curious why there isn't even 1 pvp dev.

I AM ILOVECOWS! REMEMBER THAT BECAUSE I LOVE COWS. YOU SHOULD LOVE THEM TOO. COWS ARE AMAZING AND I DON'T SEE HOW ANYONE COULD POSSIBLY SAY THAT THEY AREN'T AMAZING. JUST LOOK AT THEIR NATURAL BEAUTY AND GRACE. THE AMAZINGNESS OF THESE ANIMALS ASTOUNDS ME EVERY TIME THAT I SEE THEM. DON'T HATE ON ME FOR THIS, BUT IF YOU DO NOT LOVE COWS, YOU ARE NOT A REAL PERSON.
Ilovecows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:14 AM   #75
Luhai

Loremaster

jamzez wrote:

Over a million hours of testing went into upcoming MMORPG Star Wars: The Old Republic last weekend, BioWare has revealed.

Tens of thousands of people played the game in an effort to ensure a smooth launch next month, BioWare co-founders Greg Zeschuk and Ray Muzyka told Eurogamer in an interview at BAFTA, London last night.

The mood at BioWare Austin, where the game is being developed, is "very measured" Zeschuk said.

"It's not panicky. I just came from Austin. It's very measured. It is coming soon. The game is largely where we want to be. It's not like we're trying to jam anything in in the last minute. We're trying to finish everything off to the level we're satisfied with.

"What's really important is it's stable and reliable and doesn't crash all of the time. If you put a whole bunch of stuff in right at the end it makes it less stable, so we're controlling the end. This is how we finish most games. What we do is, early on in development the pipe is really big. Anyone can put stuff into the game and then we narrow it and narrow it and narrow it. Now we're in this narrow pipe phase where stuff is still going in, but it's being carefully measured.

How many folk's you have testing AOD Smokejumper? There's your top reason why Everquest has such low sub number's no one  want's to buy something and have to wait for it to work correctly for three month's.

You are comparing a launch of a brand new game, including the full range of server stress tests, against the launch of an expansion. That's just like comparing apples with oranges...

Old 12-01-2011, 07:26 AM   #76
Bhagpuss

Tester

Huh, I'm actually enjoying this game as I've been doing all aspects of it.

Same here... 

I've been here since beta and I'm enjoying the game as much as ever. Not saying it's better than it ever was, but it seems at least as good as it ever was to me.

I've also met a lot of brand-new players over the last year who've never played EQ2 before and from the conversations I've had, they seem to be enjoying themselves a lot.

Bhagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:54 AM   #77
Mixxit

Loremaster

Bhagpuss wrote:

Huh, I'm actually enjoying this game as I've been doing all aspects of it.

Same here... 

I've been here since beta and I'm enjoying the game as much as ever. Not saying it's better than it ever was, but it seems at least as good as it ever was to me.

I've also met a lot of brand-new players over the last year who've never played EQ2 before and from the conversations I've had, they seem to be enjoying themselves a lot.

I totally agree, i think the game has come a long way since launch (and particularl EoF onward) for an eq1 player at leat

Alluvial, Order of Thunder @ Antonia Bayle

Maintainer of Lore of Norrath

Need lore? EQ Timeline

Mixxit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:05 AM   #78
Dasein

Loremaster

jamzez wrote:

And SWTOR will still have bugs at launch, and people will complain on their forums about how the game is an untested piece of crap.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:19 PM   #79
TheGeneral

Loremaster

*shrug*  My wife, my 2 kids, and I are all still enjoying the game.  A ton of work went into what is coming in this expac.  Creating the beastlords and all the content and mechanics that go with them was a herculean undertaking alone.  While I would have liked to have seen Western Wastes in this expac, I really cant complain.  There is plenty of raid content that we have not finished yet.

Old 12-01-2011, 01:00 PM   #80
Avirodar
Server: Oasis
Guild: Tyranny

Loremaster

SmokeJumper wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Facts and numbers can be twisted and manipulated to suit an agenda. Be VERY VERY careful with Smokejumpers reply. History has illustrated SmokeJumpers tendencies to be very coy with the wording of his posts."I don't know where it came from, but it ain't true"SOE could have laid off, relocated, moved, or reporposed under 59% of, or over 61% of their EQ2 team, and Smokejumpers statement will be technically correct. Think about it. If I take half of your pay cheque, but you accuse me of taking 75% of your pay cheque, I can say with absolute truth and conviction that it is not true!The only real answer to this question is one we will never get, thus will never know. How many people worked full time, on EQ2 and EQ2 alone 2-3 years ago. How many people work full time on EQ2, and EQ2 alone, today? We will never know."The EQII team is one of the largest at SOE, and still going strong.".  If the EQII team is one of the largest, that does not say much at all. SOE has numerous small projects that barely rate a blip on the radar, so the EQII team is one of the largest compared to what? A list of PC games that SOE provides online support for (via the SOE website) includes 17 titles : DC Universe Online, Free Realms, Star Wars Galaxies, Star Wars Clone War Adventures, Vanguard, PoxNora, Star Wars Galaxies Trading Card Game, Cosmic Rift, EverQuest, EverQuest II, Infantry, Legends of Norrath, Magic The Gathering Tactics, PAYDAY The Heist, Pirates of the Burning Sea, PlanetSide, Star Chamber...  Who knows what else is out there on top of that...If a mere handful of the listed titles qualify as a game with some kind of team (2+) people still working on it, the above statement from Smokejumper is of absolutely no value to anyone wanting answers.And a significant point to pay careful attention to the wording used by SmokeJumper :"The EverQuest franchise as a whole is the backbone of this company. We're not shirking it."Consider what he said, for exactly how he said it. The EverQuest franchise. Not specifically EQ1, Not specifically EQ2, Not specifically LON, he referred to the entire collective of all that is EverQuest related. What SmokeJumper actually said, is the size of all combined teams working on all EverQuest products has not been reduced.We all know SOE is working on a new incarnation of EverQuest. This requires time and resources. USING A RANDOM NUMBER TO MAKE A POINT : If SOE had 250 staff (hypothetically) working across the board on all EverQuest franchise related games, a certain percentage would be working on EQ2.  When SOE decides to make EverQuestIII (EQNext), if 100 of the staff working in the EverQuest franchise were relocated to the EQNext project, Smokejumpers statememt that the size of the team working on the EverQuest franchise, not shrinking, will be completely accurate. The size of the team working on the EverQuest franchise will have remained unchanged. Thing is, what incarnation of EQ are they working on?Answering the question of how many people work exclusively, full time on EQ2 today, versus 3 years ago, has been carefully avoided through very selective wording.Smoke and mirrors.

Old 12-01-2011, 01:10 PM   #81
RadarX

Community Relations

We appreciate everyone's feedback but I think this thread has gone about as far as it needs to.  It's really not moving in a constructive direction and doing quite a bit of poking. 

RadarX is offline   Reply With Quote