EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Kunark Ascending Beta > Zones and Quest Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-15-2016, 09:40 AM   #31
Wurm

OK there are now ! out there, I'm still finding the language shinies with ? though. And I don't see a color difference between ! and ? at all.

You might want to consider making the ! invisible to a player as soon as he has finished the quest.

*edit* And the spawn rates are still dismal. I have now wasted over 5 hours of my life trying to finish this.
Wurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 10:41 AM   #32
Arieva

So i believe i caught this step of the quest just after the fixes went in. They patched and I came back in and started looking for shinies. I started trackin every ? and as soon as I'd get there someone else was pulling it. Then bam, noticed a ! on track. As soon as I realized the patch had gone in I went through the zone quickly and grabbed several page nodes back to back. Then however the other 35 people in zone caught on and the nodes dried up fast. Live will be a madhouse
if nodes are left at this level. I believe the sheer number of page nodes easily need to be tripled or more. The suggestion of making the items no zone is a good one, but sheer number seems way low considering how packed zones are on launch. I feedback this due to my finding maybe one page node after about 10 mins flying around at 2:30 am with 35 people in zone once the hunters on this step caught on o_O
Arieva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 06:14 PM   #33
Mineeme

I have also spent hours and hours on this collection. Most of it was 2 boxing. Both characters ended up needing the same shiny for the last one. That means that I got a least 2 of every other one, and in most cases many more than that, which I would "shout" to the zone because both toons already had it. So is one of them rare? That would add insult to injury. Or am I just that unlucky?

Would it be possible to change it so that when you harvest one it was more likely to be one you need? Way, way, way more likely. Maybe 100% likely Smile
Mineeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 10:46 PM   #34
Thilka

With 40+ people in zone late at night it was almost impossible to find ! spawns. On live this is going to be a monumental bottleneck.

While I am just a sample size of 1, I had 5-7 of all the other ! shinies before I got the pristine one to finish off, so it got very frustrating towards the end. I only managed to finish because I lucked into a fresh instance of OF and managed to zip around and get all the ! before anyone else zoned into it.

Since this is a gatekeeper step for the sig line I think the spawn rate for ! needs to be way higher. And there should not be a rare shiny for this collection. All the pieces should have an equal chance to spawn.
Old 10-15-2016, 10:56 PM   #35
seneth

I have been putting any shinies I get as extra on the broker for people to buy,I know the plat is fake but it gives those who can't find a certain shiney a way to get it. Also I announce in gen chat the location of the no trade shinies so people can come for them if they need it. I just hope this helps people get their shinies.
Old 10-16-2016, 12:05 AM   #36
Materfarmer

I guess I'm the minority posting in this thread but honestly having to work a little for a new unknown language does not seem all that onerous. With the changes Caith posted I can't see how anyone could find it hard...especially when it's not all that hard to fly around and pick up shinys to begin with.
Materfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 12:46 AM   #37
Daalilama

The change from "?" to "!" helped to localize our search however still had a number of the language shineys pop within the terrain in a couple spots at Slavers point.
Daalilama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 01:47 AM   #38
Sucha

The problem is with a full zone even if only half are trying to get shineys it will be damn near impossible to complete this - especially when you get 5 duplicates before getting 1 you actually need as many will be looking specifically for the ! nodes knowing that those are what they need for the language quest.
Old 10-16-2016, 03:49 AM   #39
Bluenotes

This language collection, even if the nodes are marked ! instead of ?, or the spawn number is increased, or they are made tradable but no-zone, will be an unmitigated disaster if it goes live.
Old 10-16-2016, 04:13 AM   #40
Materfarmer

If it's "damn near impossible" how come so many people have gotten thru the collection? In two evenings of not even trying for the collection just doing the quest picking up shinys as I saw them I got it. All of my friends and guildmates have either completed it in the same frame more or less. I'm not saying it's as easy as looking up static nodes on wiki but frankly I don't think it should be and clearly neither does Daybreak or it would not have been set up this way.
Materfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 04:33 AM   #41
Sucha

Some got it done by pure luck of the RNG. Now that they are a specific spawn people will be looking for those specific shinies as they know exactly what ones are the language shinies. Also many times the zone is not full currently. You and or your friends could have gotten it when there were few people online in the zone you were in. Personally I have been on when there are 50+ people in the zone and many of them were looking for these specific shinies. I would not care if they were static and not even listed on Wikia. This is just a poorly thought out way of doing a language quest.
Old 10-16-2016, 04:47 AM   #42
Widem

The main problem with this type of gating mechanic is its pure RNG and their is an enormous amount of waste.

It would be less frustrating if it was just Collect 20 scrolls and the scrolls were the !'s. Otherwise they should be lore, or in some semi-fixed location, such as 1 ! spawns in withering somewhere and 1 spawns in thawk somewhere etc.

But having 3 completed and deleting a bunch already is kinda lol.
Old 10-16-2016, 09:18 AM   #43
Wurm

Because fighting with your fellow eq2 players for 6 hours to continue questing makes sense? And that was just on Beta, when this goes live unchanged from the way it is now it is going to be a lot worse.

The huge difference between this and the red / green / black tomes in original RoK, is we had enough content we could go do something else if the grind for looking for pages got to be too much.

In Rok 2.0 we do not. In fact that we only have a single over-land instance makes me very sad. I wasn't expecting the amount of content KoS EoF or Rok 1.0 had, but two zones like AoM isn't asking for much.

We went from open world exploring to on rails questing a few expacs ago, and it keeps getting worse, in fact the devs trying to remove quest POI is a blatant way of trying to hide it.

Back in Rok 1.0 you could switch between the different zones as much as you wanted, you might have gotten your butt handed to you but it was there for you to explore in.

But for a while now EQ2 has become take the sig-line train straight to the instance grind station. And I for one find it sad.
Wurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 10:24 AM   #44
Sucha

Thank you Wurm. Someone who gets it.
Old 10-16-2016, 11:03 AM   #45
Duffy

The opposite of easy is 'hard', not 'tedious'. I am not challenged by flying around for a day picking up shinies. I am just tired of it - and you can't imagine that DBG set it up this way because they just put out another shallow xpac people would blast through in a day otherwise?
Duffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 12:39 PM   #46
Mineeme

I don't know the code behind them but if a shiny decides what it is when it spawns (as opposed to deciding what it is when you harvest it), maybe make it so we can't see the ones we already have. So the only ! you see is one you need.
Mineeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 12:48 PM   #47
Naneeje

Stuck " ! " at -447.78, 0.00, -939.44.
And for the record, I have been at this language quest since beta started, and I get so frustrated I move on to the other adventuring, I still only need one, after 3 days.
Naneeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 12:56 PM   #48
Neiloch

So I had two experiences in one night thanks to the beta servers going down.

At first I got on after they were up and maybe 15 people were in the zone. I was able to finish the language collection in about 80 minutes which I think is reasonable.

However a while after people realized the servers were up and a guildee still needed ONE more piece there was about 40-50 people in the zone. I spent about an hour straight looking for '!' but so many people were going after them I never saw it once. Not once. This seems quite UNreasonable.

And this has ZERO to do with 'easy', 'hard' or difficulty in general. Its simply degrees of tedium. Time sinks are not to be confused with difficulty. Coordinating a group or groups for an unforgiving script is hard. Juggling mechanics in a solo zone/quest fight is hard. Doing the same thing for 6 hours hoping for the game to grant a favorable result is tedious and boring.
Neiloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 01:58 PM   #49
silentstalker65

the change from the language shineys ? to ! is worse now.
Old 10-16-2016, 02:01 PM   #50
Ashandra

Finding this language collection very tedious it's a race to harvest the shiny each pop. Why not just put some pages down some where and throw in a side quest .....
Old 10-16-2016, 07:19 PM   #51
Kraeref

I can confirm that some language shinies spawn underground and there is no way to summon them.
Kraeref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 01:01 AM   #52
Rainmare

it's a throwback to RoK where the 3 languages were locked behind getting the collections for a tome, adn then doing a quest to be taught the language. I spent 4 hours looking for the shines when they were all ? and not special in any way. didn't bother me any, because I get the reason why, and if even fits with the idea that the Cae'dal woudl be the kind to scatter any way to learn thier language becuase they firmly believe the best way to survive is for people to know little to noting about thier culture or existance. So no book of 'here's how to speak cae'dal' it's more of you might need to find scraps and piece it together.
Rainmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 02:26 AM   #53
Widem

The ones I have found spawning under the ground are located at slaver's point in the north east
Old 10-17-2016, 02:35 AM   #54
Kaitheel

Developer

The following change has been made and will be making its way to Beta:
  • All Cae'Dal language collectibles have been increased, and any rarity removed.
I don't know when this changes will be on Beta, but it should be included in the update notes at that time.

~ Kaitheel
Kaitheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 02:37 AM   #55
Kaitheel

Developer

Oh, and that change also corrected the ones spawning under the ground too!

~ Kaitheel
Kaitheel is offline   Reply With Quote