EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Kunark Ascending Beta > Zones and Quest Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-12-2016, 10:19 PM   #1
Monstuhr

So blocking this language behind contested shinies is a bad idea. I understand wanting to make the reference to the old language collections in Kunark, but those were fundamentally different: (1) they were a special kind of shiny (called like "loose page" or "scattered page"); and (2) they were in static locations.

Having 20+ people flying around the new zone just trying to snag the 1-2 shinies we are missing is not fun and leads to considerable hostility. When this goes live it will be even worse.

If you plan to keep language as a collection (which is fine) then you need to implement it the way it was done in the original Kunark lands.
Monstuhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 01:23 AM   #2
Kaitheel

Developer

I changed the shiny color, so that they stand out more in the overland. Check that out after the next Beta update!

~ Kaitheel
Kaitheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 01:34 AM   #3
Conifur

If this is the path we are heading could they be made Heirloom so we don't have to keep doing this for every toon? The only two I got in the 1 1/2 hours of trying to get them were the same. What a waste. Please.
Old 10-13-2016, 01:35 AM   #4
ZUES

Can you please increase their drop rate for beta and launch please? Maybe scale it back after launch?
Old 10-13-2016, 01:47 AM   #5
Kaitheel

Developer

They have a minimum spawn number, so they are always guaranteed to be up. But yes, I can increase the number if it remains an issue after the color change.

~ Kaitheel
Old 10-13-2016, 02:07 AM   #6
Kelvani

Ah.. so that explains why I cant talk to them when I have done every language out there so far. Thanks!
Old 10-13-2016, 02:25 AM   #7
ZUES

Thank you! You are the man of all men! What would be cool is a little subquest item that's required to see them. Kinda like the tradeskill items.

ZUES gets in defensive stance as the tomatoes start flying in!
Old 10-13-2016, 03:06 AM   #8
Monstuhr

Thank goodness, because I just finished the collection after 5.5 dedicated hours of just shiney hunting (not inclusive of the time I was just questing and picking up shinies as I went).
Monstuhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 06:29 AM   #9
Anatha

Just my opinion but this seems like a bad idea. Maybe replace finding shinies with a few quests to learn the language. I have the ability to track shinies and spent several hours trying to find the ones that are needed for the language. I am down to needing only one but there are boatloads of other players that can also track shinies and are getting them before me. Yes, there are some helpful people that are finding the no-trade ones and if they have it already shouting out where it is, but when you have 30 people all going for the same shiny, it gets pretty brutal. So consider this a /feedback!
Old 10-13-2016, 01:00 PM   #10
Conifur

Maybe instead of no trade make them not so they disappear if you zone or log, that is already a tag in the game for that. That way people can collect them and then trade them around in the zone; making people interact with each other. I tell you I harvest regardless of whether I need them because I want them off the track and I want them cleared so a new one can spawn that maybe I need. This time sink has nothing to do with skill it is pure luck. Give us the chance to trade with players who might have what we need but make them so people can't just stay there and collect them then charge 100k on the broker.
Old 10-13-2016, 02:23 PM   #11
Conifur

This morning when I logged on I needed one part to complete. I zoned out in OF 2 last night and when I got in this morning there was only one other person there - for about 30 minutes then I was alone. Doing nothing but harvesting it took me 1:06 to get the final collection. In the process I also looted 19 other no trade collections that were not the ones I needed. In a zone with only me harvesting the collection it took over an hour to find the one I needed. This is a terrible implementation.
Old 10-13-2016, 05:22 PM   #12
Kaitheel

Developer

My change to make the language shinies different from the others, and more noticeable is not on Beta, yet.

~ Kaitheel
Old 10-13-2016, 05:44 PM   #13
Conifur

Ok. Thank you. Can one of the items it say we can /claim on live be the primer Smile
Old 10-14-2016, 12:30 AM   #14
stink

please make it lore so we can trade among toons? Took me about 4hrs constantly hunting to complete which is ok but man i hate to use gnomish rod to do it on my non-tradeksillers.
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 02:40 AM   #15
Whiskeyjack

Making them lore would be awful, then people would stockpile them rather than share locations or pass over shinies they do not need.
Old 10-14-2016, 03:04 AM   #16
Canth

Lore means you can't have more than one on you or in your broker at a time. They'd be much more shareable that way, however, than no trade is.
Canth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 03:59 PM   #17
stink

Heirloom then? something so we can give extra to our alts
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 04:15 PM   #18
Entropy

The shinies appear to be spawning slightly underground, so color isn't helping.

Please also change them to !'s instead of ?'s
Old 10-14-2016, 04:37 PM   #19
wazul

2hours with track. only 3/8.
and we are only 5 or 6 peeps do that when i try. in real server like thurgadin, 50 or more peeps = 20h or 30hours if bad luck.. and it's the only way for complete signature....

it's an horrible timesink.
wazul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 05:03 PM   #20
wazul

i prefer not. no trade + /shout in channel is better for we all can complet. for alt, perhaps achievement on main = we can buy language from npc for alt.
wazul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 06:46 PM   #21
Conifur

Wazul, until everyone has the one that is being shouted about and it never gets collected and never has a chance to spawn what is needed. Or the person who does not share and just collects because he wants it off their track and the opportunity for the one they need to spawn. Make them no zone and then people can collect them, clear it from track and open up the node again all while shouting I have the following - who has whatever I need. But first lets wait to see what fixes were put in.

I think a better option would be a "rumor" on the live server of some unknown language being found in Kunark and put the shines there now so people can start the process. Kind of like a build up. So as people are running around cleaning up the other language / epic requirements they could hunt for these as well.
Old 10-14-2016, 09:43 PM   #22
Kaitheel

Developer

Done! Oh, and I increased the spawn rate, too. You should see the changes on Beta with the next update.

~ Kaitheel
Old 10-15-2016, 12:08 AM   #23
Wurm

When is the next update, because at the moment I only need one more and I've finished 5 other collection quests looking for ir.

Not fun.
Wurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 12:13 AM   #24
Wurm

And we have like 6 or 7 people looking for the shinies right now and it seems the pristine scroll is the one all of still need.
Old 10-15-2016, 12:26 AM   #25
Wurm

And if you want to make this a players helping players thing then make them tradable but no zone that way people looking for them can help each other out.
Old 10-15-2016, 05:35 AM   #26
Nelie

TBH, I would be perfectly okay with leaving them non-trade if you just made each shiny spawn in certain areas on the map. Scattering them all out when there are 21 other collections with 5-8 pieces, isnt the best idea and makes it hard for someone like me who doesnt like picking up a shiny (yeah, someone who doesnt like picking up a shiny? what?).
Nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 08:08 AM   #27
Sucha

Ridiculous way to do a language quest that will make it extremely hard to actually complete when on live servers with 100 people in a zone.
Old 10-15-2016, 08:17 AM   #28
yondii

This is a fantastic idea.
Old 10-15-2016, 08:40 AM   #29
Gaptia

I'm not a fan of collection, I prefer questing. The no-trade tag is fine (lore will not prevent plate farmer, - on thurgardin there wass one man camping the damn ear during the whole extension for example so the instance was useless for 99% of the server due to this design failure, so don't do the same for the required language quest) but you really need to change from ? to ! or think of a real quest instead.
Gaptia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 09:04 AM   #30
Wurm

Nothing in today's patch notes guess I go back to playing something else until this gets changed.