EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Support Forums > Tech Area > General Tech Support Questions
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-25-2008, 12:07 PM   #1
Jalanix

Lord

Hi all, I recently reactivated and am having a strange problem.Some NPCs in Kelethin and Gfay inside the acorn houses don't show up for me ~75% of the time.  They seem to randomly disappear whenever I enter the building.  Sometimes (not always) when they are missing, I can back up out of the building and see them inside but as soon as I go in they disappear. This has happened on numerous occasions with the quest NPCs at the outpost in Gfay, and at the bank and tradeskill building in Kelethin. This possibly occurs with other NPCs in these types of structures, but I mainly noticed it with the ones I have to interact with frequently.  I have not noticed this problem with any NPCs outdoors or in buildings in other zones (like Qeynos)Relogging always fixes it - until I go outside the building and re-enter, then I have to relog again.  This is especially annoying since I just changed my citizenship to Kelethin and bought the expensive apartment and now I have to relog almost every time I want to use the bank or get fuel or a writ for crafting SMILEY Anyone else have this problem and know of a fix?
Jalanix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 12:29 PM   #2
Aurumn
Server: Unrest
Guild: Executioners

Loremaster

I started having these problems about the time Frostfell started. Basically the NPCs fall through the floor so they're not visible to you. Upping your graphics settings will make things a bit more reliable. In my case even the environment wouldn't render properly at times. You might want to do a search for similar topics as I remember several running at one point regarding missing NPCs and rendering problems.
Aurumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 02:56 PM   #3
Jalanix

Lord

Thanks for the reply.You wouldn't happen to know which graphics setting specifically it is? I run on "High Quality" most of the time.  Anything more than that makes it unplayable in the cities.Also, I brought my lowbie over to TD to check out the quests and some of the NPCs there are exhibiting this "falling through the ground" behavior as well.  I can see little floating feathers but no NPCs at the starting point. SMILEY
Jalanix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 03:17 PM   #4
Aurumn
Server: Unrest
Guild: Executioners

Loremaster

You may want to post your specs for the smarter folks to take a look at SMILEY, but what I did mostly was twiddle with the render distance a bit. Usually I drop settings to high performance when going into a crowded area (harbors, neriak or any really big zones) and turn em back up to balanced while running about. I also think that driver or vid card updates will help.

I was previously running a rather old GeForce 5700 (not the exact name, but it was a 5700... the very bottom of the supported vid cards). Tweaking settings helped, but did not eliminate the problem. Every now and then I'd have griffon trainers hiding in their towers and dwarves hidden in floors. My hubby got sick of my whining and got a cheap ATI vid card (not at home so can't post the details ATM) that was some small upgrade to what we had previously and would actually work in my *very* old PC. I haven't had a shy NPC since. Although they will sometimes take a moment or two to render. As long as I run on balanced my pc seems to behave itself. Any lower and it gets a bit testy.

With any luck I'll have a new PC this summer and I won't have to coerce *lol* my PC into cooperating.

**Edit: I found the post I referred to earlier. Here**

Aurumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 06:27 AM   #5
Tommara

Loremaster

I've got the same problem - unable to see NPCs.  I mostly hang out in Kelethin for crafting, banking, selling, etc., but I've seen (or more precisely, not seen) the problem elsewhere, like griffon masters in Commonlands.   Logging cures it every time.  Simply logging to character select will allow me to see the specific NPCs I'm standing next to, but once I leave the room, it's hit or miss if I go back in.  If I log completely out of the game, I might be able to see a few more NPCs before the problem occurs.  It feels like a memory leak or failure to refresh cache.  Once the cache is full, I need to log in order to see any more NPCs.  I've stood for over an hour next to a banker without it every appearing.

I like to craft a lot, but it's become a pain.  It's much less annoying to grind with my ranger, particularly since stealth makes it less of a problem if you're half blind. And the problem is nowhere near as severe with moving mob type NPCs as it is with static NPCs, like brokers, bankers, and merchants.

I've also got a very old machine (2 Ghz Pentium 4, 768 MB RAM, GEForce 5200), and would dearly love an excuse to upgrade it.  But that doesn't sound like a sure cure:  http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/...topic_id=403719  Although my criteria for upgrading appears to have been reached (do it only when I can't play the games I want to play).

But as it is now, the game is rock solid stable with respect to crashes.  I've only run into the "application wants more memory" once, and guessing from the "memory problem" threads I've read, I'm guessing it's because I generally run in "high performance- low quality" mode, and that one time I crashed, I might have been dinking around with the settings.

I would like to see this problem fixed.  I've quit this game twice before because of the inability to see things (like quest objects lying on the ground), and it seems worse each time I come back.  But I keep coming back because I like the game, ya know?  There has been a lot of effort that I really appreciate in balancing the value of crafted items vs. loot items, making characters that are fun to play, giving you a lot of diverse options to make a viable character regardless of your preferred playing style (solo, group, adventure, crafting, etc.), but all of that effort is wasted due to technical issues, over basic things you should be able to take for granted, like being able to see a banker or quest object lying on the ground.

Tommara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 06:28 PM   #6
Tommara

Loremaster

Issue solved!  Upgraded to 2 GB of RAM, things are running flawlessly so far.  No invisible NPCs, no waiting for rendering, no lag (still running on High Performance default settings, and likely to keep it that way.)

Thought I should post "problem solved" since I bothered to complain. SMILEY

Tommara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 04:09 PM   #7
tecninja

Augur

I've had the same issue, with NPCs falling through the floor (or sometimes the world doesn't feel like drawing in neriak and the I fall through the world).It seems to be a performance thing, its especially irritating with griffenmasters.  Logging off does seem to resolve the issue, and I'm suspecting Increasing RAM from 1GB and tweaking up settings would cure it.This is just another one of the issues that seems to have cropped up with RoK.  I don't recall ever having this issue with EoF.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!
tecninja is offline   Reply With Quote